So tired of lag

lag

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

marco001 #1 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20742 battles

So tired of wot lagging, I've had problems with this ever since I started playing the game about a year ago. It seems to go through periods where it is worse. I just started playing the game after a week waiting for a new motherboard from China. It was acceptable before that (for me anything under 150 is normal) but since I fixed my computer and installed the latest updates, since then ping has been horrible, commonly fluctuating between 200 - 500, occasionally spiking at a second. This of course makes the game completely unplayable. I'll check my ping with Speedtest and it's always below 50, I just checked it and it was 17. 

I downloaded and tried Killping, but the test said it wouldn't work for my problem for some reason. Anyone have any solutions for this? Thanks much!

carl20320 #2 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33247 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

Make sure when you run SpeedTest that you select a test server near where your server is located.  SpeedTest typically chooses the nearest server to your current location.

List night while running SpeedTest and Ping Plotter trying to isolate connectivity issues, I was obtaining a ping of 6 until I switched to  a server near Chicago.  It then went up to anywhere from 150-250 at times.

marco001 #3 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 23:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20742 battles
Thanks for your reply, seems like I should ping WOT's West coast server. How do I do that?

DFM #4 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 23:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31408 battles

WoT doesn't have a West server anymore.Or a East.

It's US Central (Chicago, Illinois. Actually, suburbs of Chicago)or if you have it set to Automatic(Why wouldn't you, i mean WoT NA only has one server now) You might end up on the LATAM test server when it's up. Thats fun. Figuring out why your ping goes from sub-20 in the NA Central(I'm also in Chiberia) to over 150 consistently.

Funnily enough though, ever since they put the LATAM server up, my ping hasn't been higher to NA C, but packet loss has spiked dramatically. Now i'll regularly lag out of a match. No mods, no changes to ISP, still routes the same way through PP, but losing packets like mad on NA C.

marco001 #5 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 23:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20742 battles

I typically have my server set to Auto. Just noticed this LATAM server today, not sure what that's all about. 

Maybe I'm experiencing packet loss too. My understanding of how lag should behave is the tank should respond, just with a lag. Lots of times it will just sit there forever then suddenly shoot ahead or spin accompanied by that wonderful turret twitch. 

Whistling_Death_ #6 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 23:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 58359 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

To take care of lag, clear your 1-hour browser history, then turn off your computer for at least 10 seconds, reboot your router by unplugging it for 10 seconds, then plug it back in and wait for it to power up for 1 minute. Restart your computer and log back into W.o.T. This should take care of any lag. I do this before logging into W.o.T. and rarely have any lag issues.

DFM #7 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 00:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31408 battles

View Postmarco001, on Dec 05 2017 - 17:44, said:

I typically have my server set to Auto. Just noticed this LATAM server today, not sure what that's all about. 

Maybe I'm experiencing packet loss too. My understanding of how lag should behave is the tank should respond, just with a lag. Lots of times it will just sit there forever then suddenly shoot ahead or spin accompanied by that wonderful turret twitch. 

yes basically. Higher ping generally equals sluggish responses, packet loss is usually rubber-banding/turret twitching/reticle jumping, or flat out Disconnections(my current issue every match).

CedricMacLaren #8 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 00:01

Major

• Players
  • 15128 battles
  • [RECKT] RECKT

Most of the time I begin seeing latency or high ping it is something on my PC. One time a few years ago it was Norton. I had had horrible problems with freezing and lag spikes for a couple of weeks. Like most, I spent the time cursing WG. Once I noticed my drive had been busy with some task for a very long time I checked to see what it was. Norton was doing stupid stuff. When I uninstalled and installed a better anti-virus product the issue went away. 

All my problems now are primarily related to some Customer Experience or Compatability thing with Windows 10. Some day I will work up the energy to Google how to remove it. 

Bottomline: could be on your end. 

marco001 #9 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 01:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20742 battles

Cleared my history, rebooted everything and that seemed to have taken care of it (fingers crossed)

Thanks all for your input!

BuilderBob #10 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 02:19

Private

• Players
  • 18593 battles
  • [XAPX] XAPX
PINGING HIGHER THAN USUAL 999 --- Makes the game unplayable....DO something WOT.... 

Whistling_Death_ #11 Posted Dec 11 2017 - 23:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 58359 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View Postmarco001, on Dec 05 2017 - 19:57, said:

Cleared my history, rebooted everything and that seemed to have taken care of it (fingers crossed)

Thanks all for your input!

You're welcome.

Please share that tip with others so lag will not be such an issue for people anymore.

Dadrox #12 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 01:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15315 battles
  • [77ARC] 77ARC

View PostBuilderBob, on Dec 05 2017 - 18:19, said:

PINGING HIGHER THAN USUAL 999 --- Makes the game unplayable....DO something WOT.... 

Use the info in my sig to find where your 999 is coming from.

VTSplinter #13 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 01:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26759 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
Per Whistling_Death above, clearing the router cache usually solves my problem but sometimes I have to check that nothing is running in the background too. Use Task Manager to see what's running. 

pezmed #14 Posted Apr 02 2018 - 00:23

Private

• -Players-
  • 10505 battles

Cleared Chrome history, rebooted PC and restarted router and rubber banding stopped.

Something is not optimized properly with this game. I've had this micro-rubber banding for a long time across many versions and tried everything. This is the only solution that has worked. 

I may try one of the 3 actions above next time I have this issue to see if it's really only one of them that cleared it up.

Edited by pezmed, Apr 02 2018 - 11:04.

Griffon327327 #15 Posted Apr 05 2018 - 05:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 78416 battles
  • [NVRDI] NVRDI

View Postpezmed, on Apr 01 2018 - 23:23, said:

Cleared Chrome history, rebooted PC and restarted router and rubber banding stopped.

Something is not optimized properly with this game. I've had this micro-rubber banding for a long time across many versions and tried everything. This is the only solution that has worked. 

I may try one of the 3 actions above next time I have this issue to see if it's really only one of them that cleared it up.

you do realize that the very reason you were ABLE to correct the issue by making changes to your PC means the issue is on YOUR end with your PC

been playing since the beta and everyone is always yapping about lag .. I get lag only when the server is about to crash which hasnt happened for years

when they swapped to a central server my ping went from 20-25 to 300400 but only for first 20 seconds of a battle then dropped down to 30-40 ping or even lower

if you get high ping it is from your ISP

as in YOUR internet provider  why ? because when updating wargaming uses bit torrent file system and your intenet provider is dropping your bandwidth because it thinks you are downloading or streaming  tons of movies

use a proxy server and all your internet lag will go away

pezmed #16 Posted Apr 05 2018 - 11:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 10505 battles

View PostGriffon327327, on Apr 05 2018 - 05:51, said:

you do realize that the very reason you were ABLE to correct the issue by making changes to your PC means the issue is on YOUR end with your PC

been playing since the beta and everyone is always yapping about lag .. I get lag only when the server is about to crash which hasnt happened for years

when they swapped to a central server my ping went from 20-25 to 300400 but only for first 20 seconds of a battle then dropped down to 30-40 ping or even lower

if you get high ping it is from your ISP

as in YOUR internet provider  why ? because when updating wargaming uses bit torrent file system and your intenet provider is dropping your bandwidth because it thinks you are downloading or streaming  tons of movies

use a proxy server and all your internet lag will go away

I do see what you mean, and I would not disagree with it being on my end somewhere. But, why did the micro-rubber banding disappear when I did a complete re-install of WOT as well? I did not want to do that again and that is the reason I tried the solutions suggested here. Others on this forum have had same issue. I have no other issues with any other games on my PC besides this one game. Granted, I don't play many other multi-player games much. My PC is powerful enough. My ping is always consistently around 30-50 ms. I don't believe it's my ISP since I download and run other software/games just fine. I would not eliminate the possibility it's still on my end (maybe I'll figure it out). But, the evidence leans more toward this game perhaps causing this issue.

pezmed #17 Posted Apr 26 2018 - 19:14

Private

• -Players-
  • 10505 battles
I had to come back to say that I was wrong and Griffon was correct. There was a process running on my pc that was causing this issue. The software is called MacType that I use to improve Windows fonts. Once disabled, World Of Tanks runs smooth and the issue has not re-appeared for a couple of weeks now.

Elite0077 #18 Posted Apr 26 2018 - 19:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34714 battles
  • [TEXAS] TEXAS

Try updating your Wires I know cross talk can be a issues and restarting your router may mean it time replace your old router.  I know when I switch you to cat7 all shielded my problem with my lag reduced.  Problem is that you need make sure there no problem on your system from Computer -> wire/wireless -> Router -> wall and your control.   Stuff you run can make lag depend on the age of your machine and OS. Longer you have it more crap it stock pile and degrade the system.  Also number of problem you have running and type can effect this.  As software uses more and more resources as there patched and updated.  If your on a Cheap machine like a store brand Dell look into removing Crap ware they install can help.

Point is make sure your systems in top shape before your yelling and report.

I may go far to say Turbo on FX APU and Intel can Effect your system.  Speeding up and down can make a system studder.  And cheap slow ram can also effect this as well.  I know there a difference in my APU 1600 1866 2133 I see the effects.  

intel 6th gen is 2133 max and AMD 6300 is 1866 and 7850k is 2133.  This why you don't see the effect of higher ram effecting systems so much as the Cpu it is only processing at them speeds.

RECON_RANGER #19 Posted Apr 26 2018 - 22:51

Captain

• Players
  • 37062 battles
If you have lag it is YOUR fault.  I don't understand why you blame WG.  I have ZERO lag.  I have a computer that is around a year old and very fast internet.  If you have a slow computer and/or a bad internet connection then how is that WG's fault?  Do you expect WG to buy you a computer and internet connection?

pezmed #20 Posted Apr 26 2018 - 23:32

Private

• -Players-
  • 10505 battles
Fair enough. That's what I just stated.

Also tagged with lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users