So tired of lag

lag

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

The_Raging_Tanker #21 Posted Apr 28 2018 - 16:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 36720 battles
For the guy that says to stop blaming Wargaming, Ping Plotter program says otherwise! Been having lag issues for weeks. Ping plotter shows that their server keeps going down. 

Attached Files

• Attached File   WOT NA server issues 4-28-2018.png   205.06K

snowblindND #22 Posted May 01 2018 - 15:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 34017 battles

I am reporting my experience here since I do not want to start another topic. In short, I had noted up to 50% packet loss when using PingPlotter. Since the game is mostly disk based, I did not make a connection with an issue I saw in the game, mainly ghost shells. In my case, these are shells I shoot that appear to hit the other tank but do not register as a hit or a bounce or even leave a track at all (love the tracer effects in 1.0). Also, my tank would register a hit by loss of hit points but without the sound of an impact. Simply, shots are server based, subject to internet connection, ping time and, yes, packet loss.

The PingPlotter-indicated packet loss was on my end, the 1st hop. Isolating the location took a bit of time since I am a relative computer noob, slightly older noob. Researching the potential causes of packet loss led to many recommendations of the causes and those were eliminated one by one. I am skipping to the end of this process but the last recommendation was to replace the motherboard. I ordered a used motherboard, received it and prepared for the transplant.

And then I discovered the real problem as I backed up the data and tried to correct some issues I had with my existing 2 disk setup. Sometime ago, as I was updating the BIOS on my motherboard, I trashed a hard disk. I purchased a new hard disk. Since the new hard disk was, well, newer, slightly faster, and contained no data, I made that my system disk and location for WoT. The other, undamaged disk, also contained Windows 10 but that disk became secondary. Yes, I had 2 systems installed but that is a minor annoyance usually. Elimination of the 2nd operating system was one of my goals. After backing up the data, I pulled the plug on the second hard disk to check the booting from the 1st system disk. Lo and behold, the computer would not boot. Plugging in the 2nd disk and unplugging the 1st disk, and the computer would not boot. BOTH disks were required to boot. During this rather lengthy process, I was monitoring the BIOS to make sure everything was registering correctly and noted no issues. For some reason, my hard disks were linked and files on both were required to successfully boot. I have no idea how this can happen but obviously it did.

I created a USB boot drive, disconnected the 2nd drive and reinstalled the system to the 1st drive to make the 1st drive a stand alone boot. Since this whole thing was out of the ordinary, I reloaded WoT, PingPlotter and a few other programs without changing the motherboard as I was now prepared to do. First off, I ran PingPlotter and checked my connection to Wargaming in Chicago. The address is 'wotna3.login.wargaming.net'. And the packet loss was gone. In game, I no longer see the ghost shell effect. So, the packet loss does cause a noticeable effect in the game. My ping is typically around 50 and my service provider links to the wargaming servers without the intermediate connections thru some questionable servers. 

And now I have a spare motherboard.

So, for all of you complaining about lag, please run PingPlotter and try to understand the communications process. There are some surprises. 

dunniteowl #23 Posted Jun 04 2018 - 23:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 22161 battles

View Postmarco001, on Dec 05 2017 - 16:44, said:

I typically have my server set to Auto. Just noticed this LATAM server today, not sure what that's all about. 

Maybe I'm experiencing packet loss too. My understanding of how lag should behave is the tank should respond, just with a lag. Lots of times it will just sit there forever then suddenly shoot ahead or spin accompanied by that wonderful turret twitch

Yeah, packet loss, definitely packet loss, yeah.

dunniteowl #24 Posted Jun 04 2018 - 23:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 22161 battles

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Apr 26 2018 - 15:51, said:

If you have lag it is YOUR fault.  I don't understand why you blame WG.  I have ZERO lag.  I have a computer that is around a year old and very fast internet.  If you have a slow computer and/or a bad internet connection then how is that WG's fault?  Do you expect WG to buy you a computer and internet connection?

This is so very helpful.  You should apply for an IT help desk position.

Also tagged with lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users