★ AMX M4 mle 49 (Liberte) Review - Advent Calendar Day 5 ★

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Scorpiany #1 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 02:41

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30519 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Hey folks. I know this isn't going to be my normal length or detail for reviews, but I figured I'd write up a quick review for each day of the Advent Calendar. That being said, let's get right to it!

Advent Calendar Day 5 - AMX M4 mle 49 (Tier 8 French Heavy Tank)

Price - $51.99 USD

Worth It? Probably not.

Pros:

★ 10 degrees of gun depression makes it good for using ridges.

★ Extremely thick frontal armor, with only a few small weakpoints.

★ Very good penetration on its standard AP shells means that it rarely has to shoot APCR.

Neutrals:

Decent mobility for this level of armoring. It's certainly not fast by any means, but it can get around.

Decent accuracy when fully aimed.

Shell velocity is alright. Combined with the accuracy, it's not all that bad at shooting targets in the distance if it has to.

Cons:

Θ Low alpha damage of only 300

Θ Very long aiming time combined with poor gun handling stats means that it takes a while to get the gun trained on target.

Θ Poor DPM

Θ Very low View Range of only 370m. Expect to get out-spotted by everything.

Θ Cupola can be penetrated by HE shells from high caliber guns, or by HESH / HEP shells with high penetration.

Θ Cheeks on the hull means that you can't side-scrape against your opponents. This makes the armor require little skill to use.

Equipment:

★ Gun Rammer

★ Vertical Stabilizer

★ Coated Optics or Gun Laying Drive.

The tank will really struggle to spot for itself, and is generally a brawler. If you want to run Gun Laying Drive and be completely blind in the tank, you can. Or you can mitigate the poor View Range by using Coated Optics. Optics is probably the better choice nonetheless.

Consumables:

★ First Aid

★ Repair

★ Fire Extinguisher or Strong Coffee. The engine is large and has a 20% chance to get set on fire when hit, so if you're flanked, you're a fire hazard.

Crew Skills:

★ Start with Sixth Sense, Repairs.

★ Continue with Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, Situational Awareness

★ Drop for BIA, then train up Snap / Smooth / Situational again.

★ If you want to run Strong Coffee, begin training Firefighting.

Playstyle:

The Liberte is a great front-line brawler. It's a tank that gets into the enemy's face, keeps its armor pointing in one direction and occasionally puts out 300 alpha shells.

It's also great for working ridges, as more and more tanks in the game are capable of. Using the gun depression, you can make your already strong frontal armor even scarier for the enemy. The only concern is the very weak cupola. While it's not a particularly large target, it's there nonetheless. If a high alpha gun hits you there, you won't be lasting much longer. Two 750 alpha shells is all that it takes to destroy your tank.

If you're on flat ground and fighting against tanks with higher levels of penetration, don't sidescrape. Instead, angle around the corner like this:

While this does open you up to the risk of getting shot through the track wheel, it gives you a much higher chance of bouncing shells with 250-260mm of penetration.

Under no circumstances should you try to side-scrape. The side armor is very thin and flat. Furthermore, the cheeks on the side of the hull also become a weakspot with even just a little of angling.

Overall Rating: 7.5/10 (Good)

The Liberte was another one of WG's very good Premium tanks that they had put out this year, except there was one key difference with this tank and the others - This one had weakpoints, downsides - And no direct competition from Tech Tree tanks. This means that the Liberte is a good Premium tank, but isn't infallible either.

The question is whether or not it's worth $52 USD. I would argue that it's probably not worth the price. My two biggest reasons for this are:

★ The shell cost is over 1k Credits for only 300 alpha damage, nor is the gun reliable. It's not the best credit grinder

★ The Lowe is a better tank in most ways.

That second point is the big reason I want to say no to the Liberte - The Lowe just does everything the Liberte does, except better. Sure, the Lowe is slower and has a large lower plate, but those are its only major downsides over the Liberte. The Lowe's gun is much more reliable (Makes for a higher effective DPM), the turret doesn't have a cupola, the View Range is very good, it even has more HP. The Lowe also allows its owner to use its armor wisely. You can sidescrape, you can sit hull-down, but you also can't just sit in the open and expose your lower plate.

The questions you have to ask yourself, is whether the increase in mobility is worth all of the sacrifices? Do you want a tank that requires minimal effort with its armor beyond pointing it straight at the enemy?

Unless you're specifically looking for a French heavy crew trainer, then this tank really isn't worth your money. $52 is a steep price to pay for a tank that does a worse job than the Lowe. For $2.80 more, you can get a better tank and better credit grinder.

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps some of you with your decision-making this Advent Calendar! :)

Edited by Scorpiany, Dec 06 2017 - 03:38.

Nudnick #2 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 02:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 21679 battles
With all the premium ammo spam I keep my distance. Once it aims in it's pretty accurate. The frontal armor doesn't help much against APCR from tier 9 and 10 heavies. It's a lot of money for a support tank.

Scorpiany #3 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 04:29

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30519 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

These mini-reviews don't get much attention, do they? Seems like most people only want to read my detailed guides / reviews. :(

Oh well. I hope these are still helping at least some people. I'll keep making them for the rest of the Advent Calendar.

dir32jd #4 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 04:59

Captain

• Players
  • 13052 battles
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
even without your reviews which have helped (I've been using yours and Circon's daily reviews to decide if it's not plain obvious) I think the only two I have done so far are this one and the T92.

RC_1140 #5 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 05:12

Captain

• Players
  • 53785 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View PostScorpiany, on Dec 05 2017 - 19:29, said:

These mini-reviews don't get much attention, do they? Seems like most people only want to read my detailed guides / reviews. :(

Oh well. I hope these are still helping at least some people. I'll keep making them for the rest of the Advent Calendar.

I at least like reading them.

Ophrys12 #6 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 05:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6798 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Dec 05 2017 - 23:29, said:

These mini-reviews are pretty insightful. Keep it up!

nukem519 #7 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 05:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 26839 battles
  • [THUD] THUD

I also enjoy reading your reviews:) I am grateful you do them and pretty well done too. Thank you:teethhappy:

GL & HG:) 

SpitYoYoMafia #8 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 06:06

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

Basically sums up what I said in the other thread.

+1

Horribad_At_Tanks #9 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 06:48

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles
Too bad we don't have confirmation the chrysler k or other gf tanks will be in advent this year. The jebus chrysler and blackdog would be hot sellers even at full retail.

Sturmgeschut #10 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 12:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9110 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS
I like shooting these in my type 4.

Komitadjie #11 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 15:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1404 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View PostScorpiany, on Dec 06 2017 - 04:29, said:

I'm finding them both a useful overview and a fun read!  Thank you for the effort, I appreciate it. :-)

Treeburst #12 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:51

Captain

• Players
  • 27442 battles
The first time I saw one of these I hit it in the cupola with HE from my O-Ho.

I thought it was the tier 7 AMX 45. That memory will probably last forever, just like KV-2'ing a Ferdie through the shoulder plate before I knew that was a weak spot.

SuckerPuncher #13 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 19:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37175 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View PostScorpiany, on Dec 05 2017 - 21:29, said:

Is it the mini reviews fault or the general malaise surrounding the calendar this year?   :sceptic:

I have seen nothing of real interest and plenty of hostility out of the customer base over the "quality" of the offerings this year.  Heck it took a post from CabbageMechanic (apparently the only person on WGNA that understands the value in a board full of dedicated paying customers that actually spend their free time giving them a free never ending stream of valuable marketing information) to let us know there would be a holiday garage and the tree trimming this this year.  Hardly your fault.

Edited by SuckerPuncher, Dec 06 2017 - 19:29.

dir32jd #14 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 19:33

Captain

• Players
  • 13052 battles
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Dec 06 2017 - 10:29, said:

Heck it took a post from CabbageMechanic (apparently the only person on WGNA that understands the value in a board full of dedicated paying customers that actually spend their free time giving them a free never ending stream of valuable marketing information) to let us know there would be a holiday garage and the tree trimming this this year. 

It was posted on the main portal page before Cabbage said it though?

Edited by dir32jd, Dec 06 2017 - 19:33.

sleeper_agent #15 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 15:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13123 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Dec 05 2017 - 20:41, said:

Hey folks. I know this isn't going to be my normal length or detail for reviews, but I figured I'd write up a quick review for each day of the Advent Calendar. That being said, let's get right to it!

Advent Calendar Day 5 - AMX M4 mle 49 (Tier 8 French Heavy Tank)

Price - $51.99 USD

Worth It? Probably not.

Pros:

★ 10 degrees of gun depression makes it good for using ridges.

★ Extremely thick frontal armor, with only a few small weakpoints.

★ Very good penetration on its standard AP shells means that it rarely has to shoot APCR.

Neutrals:

Decent mobility for this level of armoring. It's certainly not fast by any means, but it can get around.

Decent accuracy when fully aimed.

Shell velocity is alright. Combined with the accuracy, it's not all that bad at shooting targets in the distance if it has to.

Cons:

Θ Low alpha damage of only 300

Θ Very long aiming time combined with poor gun handling stats means that it takes a while to get the gun trained on target.

Θ Poor DPM

Θ Very low View Range of only 370m. Expect to get out-spotted by everything.

Θ Cupola can be penetrated by HE shells from high caliber guns, or by HESH / HEP shells with high penetration.

Θ Cheeks on the hull means that you can't side-scrape against your opponents. This makes the armor require little skill to use.

Equipment:

★ Gun Rammer

★ Vertical Stabilizer

★ Coated Optics or Gun Laying Drive.

The tank will really struggle to spot for itself, and is generally a brawler. If you want to run Gun Laying Drive and be completely blind in the tank, you can. Or you can mitigate the poor View Range by using Coated Optics. Optics is probably the better choice nonetheless.

Consumables:

★ First Aid

★ Repair

★ Fire Extinguisher or Strong Coffee. The engine is large and has a 20% chance to get set on fire when hit, so if you're flanked, you're a fire hazard.

Crew Skills:

★ Start with Sixth Sense, Repairs.

★ Continue with Snap Shot, Smooth Ride, Situational Awareness

★ Drop for BIA, then train up Snap / Smooth / Situational again.

★ If you want to run Strong Coffee, begin training Firefighting.

Playstyle:

The Liberte is a great front-line brawler. It's a tank that gets into the enemy's face, keeps its armor pointing in one direction and occasionally puts out 300 alpha shells.

It's also great for working ridges, as more and more tanks in the game are capable of. Using the gun depression, you can make your already strong frontal armor even scarier for the enemy. The only concern is the very weak cupola. While it's not a particularly large target, it's there nonetheless. If a high alpha gun hits you there, you won't be lasting much longer. Two 750 alpha shells is all that it takes to destroy your tank.

If you're on flat ground and fighting against tanks with higher levels of penetration, don't sidescrape. Instead, angle around the corner like this:

While this does open you up to the risk of getting shot through the track wheel, it gives you a much higher chance of bouncing shells with 250-260mm of penetration.

Under no circumstances should you try to side-scrape. The side armor is very thin and flat. Furthermore, the cheeks on the side of the hull also become a weakspot with even just a little of angling.

Overall Rating: 7.5/10 (Good)

The Liberte was another one of WG's very good Premium tanks that they had put out this year, except there was one key difference with this tank and the others - This one had weakpoints, downsides - And no direct competition from Tech Tree tanks. This means that the Liberte is a good Premium tank, but isn't infallible either.

The question is whether or not it's worth $52 USD. I would argue that it's probably not worth the price. My two biggest reasons for this are:

★ The shell cost is over 1k Credits for only 300 alpha damage, nor is the gun reliable. It's not the best credit grinder

★ The Lowe is a better tank in most ways.

That second point is the big reason I want to say no to the Liberte - The Lowe just does everything the Liberte does, except better. Sure, the Lowe is slower and has a large lower plate, but those are its only major downsides over the Liberte. The Lowe's gun is much more reliable (Makes for a higher effective DPM), the turret doesn't have a cupola, the View Range is very good, it even has more HP. The Lowe also allows its owner to use its armor wisely. You can sidescrape, you can sit hull-down, but you also can't just sit in the open and expose your lower plate.

The questions you have to ask yourself, is whether the increase in mobility is worth all of the sacrifices? Do you want a tank that requires minimal effort with its armor beyond pointing it straight at the enemy?

Unless you're specifically looking for a French heavy crew trainer, then this tank really isn't worth your money. $52 is a steep price to pay for a tank that does a worse job than the Lowe. For $2.80 more, you can get a better tank and better credit grinder.

Thanks for reading! I hope this helps some of you with your decision-making this Advent Calendar! :)

Much appreciated. Great summary and review.

I used this guide to help me in my decision to pick it up.

Havent driven it yet though. I suppose Im waiting for the weekend.

SuckerPuncher #16 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 22:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37175 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View Postdir32jd, on Dec 06 2017 - 12:33, said:

From the main page:

Brace Yourselves - the Holidays Are Inbound!

04/12/2017   <-------- Notice the date

From this post where people were complaining about no holiday nonsense:

http://forum.worldof...6#entry11364176

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Dec 01 2017 - 13:28, said:

Hold on about another week and you'll have more decorating than you can shake a festively styled stick at

Did Cabbage let us know everything that was coming?  No, but we knew that something was coming that would be big enough to unrustle the jimmies.  Cabbage has rapidly become the best Community Coordinator / Company representative I have seen in my six years on this board.  I fully expect him (if it is a him... :girl:) to be replaced shortly by someone with all the customer service acumen of a drunken concussed chimp.

Edited by SuckerPuncher, Dec 07 2017 - 22:23.

Horribad_At_Tanks #17 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 22:28

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Dec 07 2017 - 16:12, said:

From the main page:

Did Cabbage let us know everything that was coming?  No, but we knew that something was coming that would be big enough to unrustle the jimmies.  Cabbage has rapidly become the best Community Coordinator / Company representative I have seen in my six years on this board.  I fully expect him (if it is a him... :girl:) to be replaced shortly by someone with all the customer service acumen of a drunken concussed chimp.

I think he is talking about the new tank paint jobs where you can paint your entire tank [edited]pink if you wish.

SuckerPuncher #18 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 00:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37175 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View PostHorribad_At_Tanks, on Dec 07 2017 - 15:28, said:

I think he is talking about the new tank paint jobs where you can paint your entire tank [edited]pink if you wish.

dir32jd specifically quoted the part of my post where I was talking about Cabbage letting us know there was a holiday event coming.  The topic and the post had never mentioned the test-server tank customization. 

IDK if Cabbage ever said anything about that. 

Edited by SuckerPuncher, Dec 08 2017 - 00:23.

Horribad_At_Tanks #19 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 00:29

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Dec 07 2017 - 18:21, said:

dir32jd specifically quoted the part of my post where I was talking about Cabbage letting us know there was a holiday event coming.  The topic and the post had never mentioned the test-server tank customization. 

IDK if Cabbage ever said anything about that. 

This is his exact quote:

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Dec 01 2017 - 14:28, said:

Hold on about another week and you'll have more decorating than you can shake a festively styled stick at

All I see here is a description of you getting to decorate something to the point you don't want to do it anymore. So its either a super christmas tree event or the super test tank customizing with special holiday skins.

SuckerPuncher #20 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 00:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37175 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Dec 06 2017 - 12:29, said:

Heck it took a post from CabbageMechanic (apparently the only person on WGNA that understands the value in a board full of dedicated paying customers that actually spend their free time giving them a free never ending stream of valuable marketing information) to let us know there would be a holiday garage and the tree trimming this this year.  Hardly your fault.

The part of my post that Dir32jd quoted

View Postdir32jd, on Dec 06 2017 - 12:33, said:

their comment

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Dec 07 2017 - 15:12, said:

From the main page:

My post showing that the holiday event was on the main page on the 4th and Cabbage hinting about it on the 1st.

Are you trolling or just bad at interjecting yourself into things because of your poor reading comprehension skills.  NOBODY said anything about the tank customization on the test server before you brought it up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users