LemmingRush Vid.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

SpitYoYoMafia #41 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 23:06

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostTolos, on Dec 06 2017 - 12:54, said:

This is what the ban all mods guys dont get. The cheats wont care if no mods are allowed, they will STILL find a way to use them. All banning all the mods will do is punish the normal player using legitimate mods, because unlike the cheating scumbags, they will follow the rules. 

I disagree, because the mods are being used through he res mods folder, disable this path to the application and those mods will be useless

Unlike gun control issues, if you ban the source it goes poof, in this case you can remove the source directly.

Edited by SpitYoYoMafia, Dec 06 2017 - 23:07.

Kliphie #42 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 23:12

Captain

• Players
  • 28339 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Dec 06 2017 - 16:06, said:

I disagree, because the mods are being used through he res mods folder, disable this path to the application and those mods will be useless

Unlike gun control issues, if you ban the source it goes poof, in this case you can remove the source directly.

Mods existed before WG added res mods to the tree.  

Tolos #43 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 23:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Dec 06 2017 - 22:06, said:

There are online games out there that dont allow mods, the dont have anything like the res mods folder. Yet people still have ways to use them.

My point is banning all mods will not stop the cheats. The only thing that will cut down the cheating ( which isnt as bad as some nuts like to say it is imo ) is harsh punishments for those cheaters and using an effective cheat detection system.

Both of which WG seems to be unwilling or unable to do.

Trigger_Happy_Jax #44 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 23:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32082 battles
  • [STK-R] STK-R

View PostJackson120, on Dec 06 2017 - 07:31, said:

No, I know that the account is obviously a purchased account. However, the amount of digging and researching required for wargaming to commit to each and every active account across all servers just isn't worth it. and no, im not "anti-wn8"

WG could end the "no name and shame" snowflake protection policy.  I'm sure the community would do a fairly good job of doing the bulk of the digging, and researching.  

Striker_70 #45 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 23:54

Major

• Players
  • 18915 battles

View PostArty_Did_Nothing_Wrong, on Dec 06 2017 - 12:16, said:

The person didn't mention the players name once...

That's not a requirement.

BillT #46 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 00:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24751 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostTolos, on Dec 06 2017 - 15:54, said:

This is what the ban all mods guys dont get. The cheats wont care if no mods are allowed, they will STILL find a way to use them. All banning all the mods will do is punish the normal player using legitimate mods, because unlike the cheating scumbags, they will follow the rules. 

Mods only work because WOT has an interface designed especially to make information available to modders.  If they banned all mods they could completely disable that interface.  Then to cheat you'd truly have to hack into their code and compile your own client software that the server still recognizes as legitimate. That's orders of magnitude more difficult.

That said, I don't want them to ban all mods, but they ought to provide less information via the interface.   There are a lot of nice features in the game now that began as mods.  It's a way for WG to get free prototype development and testing before rolling something into their software.

Omg_a_Squirrel #47 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 00:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27702 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ
Dont let this die, they need to be held accountable, not let of the hook.   I would venture to say this problem is much bigger than anyone can imagine.

Omg_a_Squirrel #48 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 00:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27702 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View PostSilversound, on Dec 06 2017 - 15:02, said:

So if a person were to start a new account and load every cheat available, how long before they get banned?

I would bet never.

And you would be 100% correct.  There is no anti-cheat in this game, it's a lie.

SpitYoYoMafia #49 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:08

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostKliphie, on Dec 06 2017 - 14:12, said:

Mods existed before WG added res mods to the tree.  

Oh I didn't know that. Then they'd need to make a detection system, they can still rip out all mods and they can perform a quick check to see if their files have been modified. That's the easiest way to stop cheaters.

View PostTolos, on Dec 06 2017 - 14:28, said:

There are online games out there that dont allow mods, the dont have anything like the res mods folder. Yet people still have ways to use them.

My point is banning all mods will not stop the cheats. The only thing that will cut down the cheating ( which isnt as bad as some nuts like to say it is imo ) is harsh punishments for those cheaters and using an effective cheat detection system.

Both of which WG seems to be unwilling or unable to do.

Most of those games have detection systems, you can't just not allow mods and think that no one will cheat. So as you said they still need a detection system. But what's easier, scanning for illegal mods including new ones, or scanning for any changes to their base game at all?

Edited by SpitYoYoMafia, Dec 07 2017 - 03:10.

goodlife250m #50 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17247 battles
Which video is it? I'll post it.

SpitYoYoMafia #51 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:34

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View Postgoodlife250m, on Dec 06 2017 - 18:32, said:

Which video is it? I'll post it.

I would not recommend that friend.

Slatherer #52 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:48

Major

• Players
  • 29660 battles

View PostOmg_a_Squirrel, on Dec 06 2017 - 15:15, said:

Dont let this die, they need to be held accountable, not let of the hook.   I would venture to say this problem is much bigger than anyone can imagine.

I'm willing to bet that is the case.  I've seen some amazing shots for a while now.  Just can't explain it, so I don't say anything.  But it's enough to make me annoyed.

SpitYoYoMafia #53 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:55

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostSlatherer, on Dec 06 2017 - 18:48, said:

I'm willing to bet that is the case.  I've seen some amazing shots for a while now.  Just can't explain it, so I don't say anything.  But it's enough to make me annoyed.

It's just RNG, cheating is when they know exactly where you are and know what you are doing at all times, it's easy to see sometimes but I try not to think about it as there aren

t too many of them. Most of them suck anyway.

Romel_211 #54 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 03:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1165 battles

View PostKliphie, on Dec 06 2017 - 20:09, said:

​But its works so well with the war on drugs.  

^ has no argument, brings RL crap into a game. Silence mouth breather.

Silversound #55 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 04:49

Major

• Players
  • 35621 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Dec 06 2017 - 18:08, said:

Oh I didn't know that.

Pro Tip: paths.xml

Mount what you want.

Back in the day I just used my own folder for mods and added it here.

These days I vanilla.

SpitYoYoMafia #56 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 13:36

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostSilversound, on Dec 06 2017 - 19:49, said:

Pro Tip: paths.xml

Mount what you want.

Back in the day I just used my own folder for mods and added it here.

These days I vanilla.

And that's exactly my point, search and check to see if it's modified, if it is modified and they attempted to play the game, penalties will ensue.

If everything is illegal you no longer are required to check for every single mod in the market, any modifications to their programs/folders is an automatic red flag. Less work and easier to do.

Edited by SpitYoYoMafia, Dec 07 2017 - 13:37.

Kliphie #57 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 14:26

Captain

• Players
  • 28339 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRomel_211, on Dec 06 2017 - 20:59, said:

^ has no argument, brings RL crap into a game. Silence mouth breather.

^ has no argument, uses ad hominem to make up for lack of wit.

Did I do that right?

Death33Dealer #58 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:19

Private

• Players
  • 12546 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Friends, I'm not sure how experience you are with PC gaming, but cheating has been around on the PC's since they started creating FPS games. Unfortunately, if you want to game relatively cheat free you are going to have to do that on a console.

Normally, cheaters are held at bay because game have a up front cost, usually 50 dollars or more, and the game developers have a one time and done policy. Meaning if you are caught you are gone, the 50 dollars and any other cash you may spend has just been wasted.

Valve (VAC) and EA (Punkbuster) all have developed specialized software to combat cheating and it has to be constantly updated and revised. Its really one big cat and mouse game that is being played from one update to the next. There is quite a market for developers who write these cheats because people are willing to pay good money to have any advantage they can over other poor souls. Really if people stop paying money for cheats then the developers would not have a reason to create them.

Cheat detection software usually is very evasive and will constantly scan your computer for various files and root injections. By just removing the mod folder, would really just be window dressing for people who don't understand the complexity of how some of these cheats work. 

Unfortunately, games like world of tanks, with no upfront cost and warning for individuals who are caught, tend to have more issues with cheating than other games. Now, world of tanks does have some things going for it. For instance, most of the pertinent data is kept server side. Also in FPS games you can be instantly killed by a head shot from an insane distance away. World of tanks does not have any issues such as that. Not to say they don't need to do anything, they do. I'm just not sure they are ready to commit the resources needed to effectively combat cheating. 

Chalybos #59 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 19:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21685 battles

View PostTrigger_Happy_Jax, on Dec 06 2017 - 17:53, said:

WG could end the "no name and shame" snowflake protection policy.  I'm sure the community would do a fairly good job of doing the bulk of the digging, and researching.  

Wait ... did you actually type out "the community would do a fairly good job of doing the bulk of the digging, and researching"?

This community?  Have you seen the crazy hackusations people make, based solely on "feelz"?  Or how many very vocal commentators exhibit a complete lack of understanding of how the game works?  And the dogpile mentality inevitably leading to a "jumping on the bandwagon" because of people who get their panties in a permanent twist due to them needing a reality check regarding their level of skill in the game?

No frigging thank you.

Everyone remembers a witch hunt.  Nobody remembers an apology.  

Trigger_Happy_Jax #60 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 20:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32082 battles
  • [STK-R] STK-R

View PostChalybos, on Dec 07 2017 - 12:47, said:

Wait ... did you actually type out "the community would do a fairly good job of doing the bulk of the digging, and researching"?

This community?  Have you seen the crazy hackusations people make, based solely on "feelz"?  Or how many very vocal commentators exhibit a complete lack of understanding of how the game works?  And the dogpile mentality inevitably leading to a "jumping on the bandwagon" because of people who get their panties in a permanent twist due to them needing a reality check regarding their level of skill in the game?

No frigging thank you.

Everyone remembers a witch hunt.  Nobody remembers an apology.  

Oh I am quite sure that there would be a perpetual flood of hackusations, and that this forum would need an entire page just to quarantine that topic.  And I am also sure that the majority of those hackusations would be wrong.

But that is not a good reason to disallow the community from speaking up about what they see/hear/think about whatever it is they are experiencing with the game.  Some people would "cry wolf" too often, and earn their reputations for it.  Some people however, would expose actual cheats. 

WG would still need to weed through the hackusations, and figure out which ones were legit or not.  But in my opinion, that would be better than the current policy of "no name and shame.". Someone wants to speak, let them.  The players can figure out for themselves what is true, or false, and WG can figure out if something needs to be acted on, or not.  Silence doesn't accomplish anything towards keeping the game clean, and legit.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users