Friendly Smartphone for Seniors?

smartphone ios android

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Smartphone For Seniors (17 members have cast votes)

[General] Senior Friendly OS: Android OS or iOS?

1. Android (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. iOS (10 votes [58.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

[General] Senior Friendly Smartphone Keypad: Digital or Physical?

1. Digital Keypad (14 votes [82.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. Physical Keypad (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

BaconMeLoveIt #1 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 02:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13057 battles
  • [-STN-] -STN-

So I need to replace my parents' smartphone (BlackBerry Q10).

Senior friendly smartphone?

Parents are not tech savvy.

EDIT: Thank you for the responses.

Edited by BaconMeLoveIt, Dec 08 2017 - 04:06.

Scorpiany #2 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 02:59

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30498 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA
I've found Android to be a lot easier to learn. Digital keyboards aren't all that bad; there are options with how they operate, and you can trace-type if needed. However, a physical keyboard that comes out from the side could be pretty useful if they have shakier hands, or aren't used to tapping on a responsive screen yet.

Kamahl1234 #3 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:02

Major

• Players
  • 17969 battles

Will they have data? Do other family or friends have predominantly Iphones? If the latter is yes, then I'd say Iphone, but if the former is true it's nice to go with a cheaper android device as you can limit the data usage via the settings for them, so it never goes over (many plans have some data at least). 

Though with them being not tech savvy, there's still a number of Androids to use, iOS is easy to use as it's designed to be user friendly and the same from phone to phone, so help is easier from others. 

Really, the defining thing is price that is being spent on the phones as to the models I'd recommend, and are you getting them contract based or bought outright? I worked for a phone company for about a year and recommended many phones to people, so it may help to know these things. 

On top of this, is there particular reasons for smartphones other than they used the Q10? Do they want another smartphone or a basic phone?

Edited by Kamahl1234, Dec 08 2017 - 03:07.

Dionysus_Zagreus #4 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37095 battles

My in-laws, who are close to 70, absolutely love their Ipad.  They use it to text, and love to face time the kids.  It's also their camera and video camera.

They are pretty handy with it, and if they are fairly savvy with it, ANYBODY CAN BE!  :)  They have a landline to chit-chat and an old pay as you go flip phone for the road.

Therefore, depending on your folks, I'd recommend an iPhone.  It can do all the above, and they're pretty user friendly.

zoomer96 #5 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30077 battles
Had android for awhile now.  It's OK.  I like it best because I don't have to use apple products.  That being said The Iphone and Ipad is a great platform I know people that swear by them.  But it's too expensive.  You can get an android much cheaper.  Personally I don't like proprietary systems.  Us seniors do just fine with android.

HOTA_CHATON #6 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 12236 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostBaconMeLoveIt, on Dec 07 2017 - 19:49, said:

So I need to replace my parents' smartphone (BlackBerry Q10).

Senior friendly smartphone?

Parents are not tech savvy.

EDIT: Thank you for the responses.

There are companies out there that specialize in this type of thing, if you look it up on the web.

BaconMeLoveIt #7 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 04:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13057 battles
  • [-STN-] -STN-

View PostKamahl1234, on Dec 07 2017 - 18:02, said:

Will they have data? Do other family or friends have predominantly Iphones? If the latter is yes, then I'd say Iphone, but if the former is true it's nice to go with a cheaper android device as you can limit the data usage via the settings for them, so it never goes over (many plans have some data at least). 

Though with them being not tech savvy, there's still a number of Androids to use, iOS is easy to use as it's designed to be user friendly and the same from phone to phone, so help is easier from others. 

Really, the defining thing is price that is being spent on the phones as to the models I'd recommend, and are you getting them contract based or bought outright? I worked for a phone company for about a year and recommended many phones to people, so it may help to know these things. 

On top of this, is there particular reasons for smartphones other than they used the Q10? Do they want another smartphone or a basic phone?

Predominantly Android and all smartphones in the family has data; though it does not matter much if they go over it. Someone in the family do have an iPad.

But we they mostly use Facebook, taking photos, video streaming, and the normal things such as phone calls.

I'm choosing between Samsung Galaxy S7 and iPhone 6/7 Plus (just for the sake of future software upgrades from Apple).

BlackBerry Q10? Initially, they were not used to touchscreens. However, bought an Android tablet, also on data, for them use after I did the Q10 purchase.

Edited by BaconMeLoveIt, Dec 08 2017 - 04:13.

TsarCidron #8 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 04:46

Major

• Players
  • 6103 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

to me, the big concern would be screen size.  Make sure its big enough to read whats on the screen.   My phone is a bit dated, but I like it for that reason (screen size).  Sure, it has its quirks.  Screen size (6in x 3in) was the thing that sold me.  

Seniors arent going to care much about memory (as long as it works), gadgets, loaded software (bloatware?) or games.  Just give them a phone, easily workable calling features, and the ability to see whats being displayed.  Seniors dont really see it as a portable computer or anything.  Its a phone.  They may not even care if its Android or IOS. 

Also, if its parents (the plural, thus multiple phones) - get the same phone, but different cases.  Let them teach each other their discoveries. 

Also tagged with smartphone, ios, android

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users