• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Komitadjie #101 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles

View PostMarkd73, on Dec 12 2017 - 16:32, said:

I play arty and this is an accurate statement ^^^^

Depends on the game. I usually don't throw shells at the first target lit, because that's already taking fire from everything else that has a faster shell velocity. My first shot generally goes at the red arty, because they usually from very near the spawn, as early as they can. If I can get a lucky shot and punch one of their SPGs out early, that's an advantage for my team. After that, my attention usually moves to the front line and available targets, particularly TDs sitting behind the front, since they're usually fairly static and often are open top.

sergeantmine09 #102 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12644 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View PostZanarkand_C, on Dec 08 2017 - 15:19, said:

None stop contributing the main problem here >:I

Statistically it isn't, for you it personally is

Markd73 #103 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:49

Major

• Players
  • 30127 battles

View PostBillT, on Dec 11 2017 - 23:09, said:

That's not even true.  Ever been perma-tracked by a guy you couldn't  shoot back at, because he can see the front of your tank but not your turret?  Sure you have.

That crap about being able to blind fire at a hidden TD is just a smoke screen.  Not one player in twenty even tries to do that (because you usually have more important things to do), and it's almost never effective.  I can count on two hands (maybe just one!) the number of times I've been hit in a TD by blind fire like that... in 25,000 games. 

You just don't like being shot by something you can't see.  You hate arty worse than TDs because it's always hidden, but if SPGs went away you would rage at TD players.

View PostR_Razor, on Dec 11 2017 - 23:35, said:

Wrong as usual, but then you've got to be used to that right now. 

While an occasional hidden TD may get a shot on you while your turret is blocked and you have no opportunity to return fire, it's not a 100% of the time occurrence as it is with arty. 

I don't like arty but it's in the game and I accept it now, you should make an effort to know your audience before running your mouth, you wouldn't look quite so ignorant

Bill uses logic in his argument and you respond with insults and posturing?

You realize that is not how you win a logical debate.

Right?

Markd73 #104 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:51

Major

• Players
  • 30127 battles

View PostMarkd73, on Dec 12 2017 - 15:32, said:

I play arty and this is an accurate statement ^^^^

View Postsergeantmine09, on Dec 12 2017 - 15:39, said:

That may be accurate for YOU, but I play for my team. They need help with a heavy, I scare that heavy with some splash and stun. 

I didn't say it was a good thing or a bad thing, I said it was accurate.

Markd73 #105 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:52

Major

• Players
  • 30127 battles

View PostKomitadjie, on Dec 12 2017 - 15:41, said:

Depends on the game. I usually don't throw shells at the first target lit, because that's already taking fire from everything else that has a faster shell velocity. My first shot generally goes at the red arty, because they usually from very near the spawn, as early as they can. If I can get a lucky shot and punch one of their SPGs out early, that's an advantage for my team. After that, my attention usually moves to the front line and available targets, particularly TDs sitting behind the front, since they're usually fairly static and often are open top.

Excellent points.

sergeantmine09 #106 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 16:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12644 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View PostMarkd73, on Dec 12 2017 - 16:51, said:

I didn't say it was a good thing or a bad thing, I said it was accurate.

Sorry! Didn't mean to jump you like that. I should've read it more carefully

Markd73 #107 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 19:07

Major

• Players
  • 30127 battles

View Postsergeantmine09, on Dec 12 2017 - 15:55, said:

Sorry! Didn't mean to jump you like that. I should've read it more carefully

No worries. I was not bothered in the least.

I was just clarifying what I said.

The_Pushok #108 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 19:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12671 battles
  • [IT420] IT420
SU-8

stever #109 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 19:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 59531 battles
  • [_BA_] _BA_

View PostPhooBar2, on Dec 11 2017 - 03:27, said:

M44 is probably one of the best all-around SPG's.  It can still ding some tier 8's.

Get a 100% crew, with BIA, SA, Recon, Camo,  and three or four other perks and it almost doesn't feel nerfed to death.

Almost.

Do you realize how long it takes to get 4 perks let alone 3 or 4 on top of that?  You will put that crew in a tier X not in a tier VI.  You need 100 % crew, BIA, Camo, and Repair. Then camo net and maybe cola.

galspanic #110 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 19:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 24502 battles

View Poststever, on Dec 12 2017 - 10:52, said:

Do you realize how long it takes to get 4 perks let alone 3 or 4 on top of that?  You will put that crew in a tier X not in a tier VI.  You need 100 % crew, BIA, Camo, and Repair. Then camo net and maybe cola.

I have 50K more EXP on the M53/M55 and plan on researching the T92 then immediately buying the M44.  Tier 6 seems to be a much better option at its tier.

Lil_Bunny_FooFoo #111 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 20:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16688 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-
I like the mobility of the French arty.  And once they get turrets, it gets to be really hard for the other team to hit you with counter-battery fire.  However, at tier 6, the best one is definitely the M-44.  It has a fast rate of fire, decent damage, and a huge gun arc.

Gtraxeman #112 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 20:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29778 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostRoburk, on Dec 11 2017 - 04:11, said:

not really arty doesn't punish campers, it punishes those who get lit first and are on the front line

Not really, a good arty player shares the love amongst the whole enemy team.

Just really started playing arty to get my Stugg Cammo (which I just recently earned) and free up my orders. Learned to hit front line until they go arty safe, then switch to other flank who thinks I am ignoring them. Also, blindshots on popular camping spots for variety.

Komitadjie #113 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 20:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles

View PostGtraxeman, on Dec 12 2017 - 20:16, said:

Not really, a good arty player shares the love amongst the whole enemy team.

Just really started playing arty to get my Stugg Cammo (which I just recently earned) and free up my orders. Learned to hit front line until they go arty safe, then switch to other flank who thinks I am ignoring them. Also, blindshots on popular camping spots for variety.

Also watch their back area for tracer when you get a chance, the best kills are unspotted surprise counterbattery! I generally shift my fire around, I want the red team to be worrying about my fire, hopefully that will influence their positioning and give my team an advantage.  The only time I really focus on one spot is either a shaky flank where the stuns and blown tracks might make the difference, or when the matchmaker threw us some garbage, and the enemy has the only superheavy. Then I'll focus that target to try for as much stun and tracking as I can to help the team take them down. 

Basically, I tend to make my targeting decisions based on my reading of the game and map, with the emphasis on doing as much good for my team as I can, given the available spotted targets. I prefer the M44 for the mobility there, it lets me move to support as needed.

Edited by Komitadjie, Dec 12 2017 - 20:30.

BillT #114 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 20:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26866 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostR_Razor, on Dec 11 2017 - 18:35, said:

Wrong as usual, but then you've got to be used to that right now. 

No, you said, "Any other tank requires a direct path for the shell to travel and can therefore be shot back at if lit. "  I gave you an example where that's not true.  Stop trying to weasel out of it.

Now, if you're cheesed that I assumed you're any arty hater, that's fair.  I may have been wrong to assume that your repetition of that old bromide about "arty is the only class that's immune to return fire" meant you think that's a valid reason to complain about arty.  Per my reply, it's a vacuous argument that only makes sense if you've already concluded arty should be removed. 

In my defense, after scanning the entire thread I can't find one positive thing you've said about arty.  But I apologize if I've mischaracterized your views.  Perhaps you'll take a moment and clarify them for us?

Edited by BillT, Dec 12 2017 - 20:49.

R_Razor #115 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 23:05

Captain

• Players
  • 8042 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM

View Postsergeantmine09, on Dec 12 2017 - 09:54, said:

He doesn't have to know your(extremely shortsighted) view on artillery just to put in his opinion. Plus he makes a good point that you seem to avoid because the answer doesn't bash arty, which is something you clearly want.

You lack basic reading comprehension skills. I have started playing arty recently and while I do find it distasteful, I don't think it needs to be removed or even changed. What it needs for for pro-arty trolls to stop assuming that just because you find fault with an aspect of the class you must hate it or want to gone. When I was much newer to the game I did, now I don't. A sign of intelligence is the ability to modify ones beliefs based on real experience. Some of you need to try that some time. 

Nothing he, or you for that matter, have said changes the fact that Arty as a class has the ability, to a far greater extent than any other class, to do damage without having to worry about what the class is shooting at getting to do damage in return. That's a fault, period. 

R_Razor #116 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 23:06

Captain

• Players
  • 8042 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM
Not worth the time it would take......

Edited by R_Razor, Dec 12 2017 - 23:12.

R_Razor #117 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 23:12

Captain

• Players
  • 8042 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM

View PostBillT, on Dec 12 2017 - 14:33, said:

No, you said, "Any other tank requires a direct path for the shell to travel and can therefore be shot back at if lit. "  I gave you an example where that's not true.  Stop trying to weasel out of it.

Now, if you're cheesed that I assumed you're any arty hater, that's fair.  I may have been wrong to assume that your repetition of that old bromide about "arty is the only class that's immune to return fire" meant you think that's a valid reason to complain about arty.  Per my reply, it's a vacuous argument that only makes sense if you've already concluded arty should be removed. 

In my defense, after scanning the entire thread I can't find one positive thing you've said about arty.  But I apologize if I've mischaracterized your views.  Perhaps you'll take a moment and clarify them for us?

Sure Bill, I said it and it's still true. If you as the target of (in your example) a TD fail to properly position your tank so that you can't return fire because you have concealed your turret that is not the fault of the TD. Unlike Artillery in this game, that TD must park somewhere that allows it a DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT to what it's going to shoot at, no hills or buildings between its gun and its target. Arty cannot say the same and has no need to rely on positional mistakes to prevent it from being shot back at by its target. That's a fault in the current mechanics when you factor in its ability to deal direct damage to a tank. As arty is a necessary class to the game (in my opinion) and I have no better alternative to implementing it, I live with it. What I don't do is pretend like it's not in some ways broken because it is. WW2 era (which is what this game predominantly is) Artillery relied on battery fire to saturate an area and cause death and destruction, not the Battle Assistant assisted "shoot through windows in buildings" modern era stuff the game has. 

Edited by R_Razor, Dec 12 2017 - 23:14.

Markd73 #118 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 23:48

Major

• Players
  • 30127 battles

View PostR_Razor, on Dec 12 2017 - 22:12, said:

Sure Bill, I said it and it's still true. If you as the target of (in your example) a TD fail to properly position your tank so that you can't return fire because you have concealed your turret that is not the fault of the TD. Unlike Artillery in this game, that TD must park somewhere that allows it a DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT to what it's going to shoot at, no hills or buildings between its gun and its target. Arty cannot say the same and has no need to rely on positional mistakes to prevent it from being shot back at by its target. That's a fault in the current mechanics when you factor in its ability to deal direct damage to a tank. As arty is a necessary class to the game (in my opinion) and I have no better alternative to implementing it, I live with it. What I don't do is pretend like it's not in some ways broken because it is. WW2 era (which is what this game predominantly is) Artillery relied on battery fire to saturate an area and cause death and destruction, not the Battle Assistant assisted "shoot through windows in buildings" modern era stuff the game has. 

The challenge is that this game is an arcade shooter - tanks with HP, instant healing of dead crews, etc. It looks (on the surface) to be associated somewhat with the WW2 era but many of the vehicles are pre and post WW2, or in a lot of cases blueprints.

If you want something closer to an actual WW2 era there are other games to choose from.

R_Razor #119 Posted Dec 13 2017 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 8042 battles
  • [_DDM] _DDM

View PostMarkd73, on Dec 12 2017 - 17:48, said:

The challenge is that this game is an arcade shooter - tanks with HP, instant healing of dead crews, etc. It looks (on the surface) to be associated somewhat with the WW2 era but many of the vehicles are pre and post WW2, or in a lot of cases blueprints.

If you want something closer to an actual WW2 era there are other games to choose from.

Which in no way changes the fact that there's a large disparity between the abilities of one class that ignores all line of sight requirements and four others that don't. 

BillT #120 Posted Dec 13 2017 - 00:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26866 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostR_Razor, on Dec 12 2017 - 17:12, said:

Arty cannot say the same and has no need to rely on positional mistakes to prevent it from being shot back at by its target. That's a fault in the current mechanics when you factor in its ability to deal direct damage to a tank.

The first statement is true -- arty can shoot at targets that can't shoot back.  That makes it different, as does its (relatively) high angle fire.  But how does that lead to your second claim, that it's a fault?

All classes have differences. Light tanks get amazing mobility and are the only class that keeps its camouflage when moving.  Is that a fault?  How about the fact that a Tier 10 light gets triple the hit points of a Tier 10 SPG, despite being smaller and no better armored?   Autoloaders get clips, which no other tanks get, allowing them to out-DPM any enemy in the short term.  Is that broken?  The MM doesn't even try to balance the number of autoloaders on each side, nor limit one per platoon.

View PostR_Razor, on Dec 12 2017 - 17:12, said:

As arty is a necessary class to the game (in my opinion) and I have no better alternative to implementing it, I live with it. What I don't do is pretend like it's not in some ways broken because it is.

Again, you assume "different" means "broken".  I honestly don't get that.

Yes, the mechanics of arty in WOT are crazy unrealistic.  But is it really worse than any other class?  You telepathically know where every tank on your team is and you can instantly see everything they spot?  Your gunner doesn't have to adjust his aim for range, ammo type, or crosswinds?   Broken modules and dead crewman are instantly fixed with the press of a button?  You can roll the tank over and just keep driving? 

Compared to all that, SPG mechanics aren't so bad. Don't fixate on the fact that playing a WOT SPG doesn't simulate how real arty works; notice how it simulates the effect of real arty on a battlefield.  It doesn't really do all that much damage, but it confuses the enemy and even makes them cower. It breaks up formations.  It can deny an important landmark.  It can fire blind with good effect.  It covers a wide area.   Arty may be WOT's greatest success at simulating a battlefield, and you can judge that from the complaints -- in real war everyone hates artillery, too, even their own, and for exactly the same reasons. "I can't shoot back!  They're a bunch of cowards!  There's no skill!  My own arty sometimes hits me!"

Also tagged with arty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users