Jump to content


GW Tiger - Accuracy


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

scott451 #1 Posted Aug 28 2011 - 12:55

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011
Ok.  So I finally unlock the 210 and put it on the GW Tiger.

I have 100% crew.  gld, vents, rammer.  I'm using HE.

My first game with the 210?  Well, lets just say I don't really know what to think.

I killed two tanks.  And damaged two others.

I fired 8 times.  And got 2 direct hits.

I don't know if that is all good or bad?  One thing that is kind of annoying is to have your aiming reticle right over a target.  Stationary at that.  A nice, tight circle.  Fire, only to miss left, right, short, long, whatever.  And do no damage.

That happened three or four times in my first game.  Is that normal with the 210?

I mean, I feel like I know how to play arty and all that.  I'm sure I'm far from the best.  But I'm not a noob either.

I had a 46% hit ratio with my GW Panther.  And about the same with the GW Tiger with the 170 mounted.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

RayJones #2 Posted Aug 28 2011 - 14:09

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 864
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011
46% on a GW panther? That's impressive :Smile_great:.

Well you should be proud that your GW Tiger can do that highest damage among all tier 7 and below arties. Its damage is also just a second to T92 (Tier 8 Arty). Now that comes at a cost which is poor accuracy and longer reload time.

It's common for the shot not to get a direct hit but with its insane splash damage you can still do a lot of damage to the enemy. Plus splash damage come in handy when you want kill a tank hiding behind an object.

Although splash damage doesn't kill modules it can still kill the crew from its heat. As always, aim for the part of the tank which is having least amount of armor so that the splash damage doesn't get absorbed by the tank hull.

The accuracy, reload and splash damage will improve slightly on the GWE but with the same amount of damage.

I have a 33% accuracy currently on my GW Tiger but in spite of that I have managed to kill 752 tanks in 737 battles with a damage per battle of 1389.25 HP. I always focus on damaging rather than killing targets.

scott451 #3 Posted Aug 28 2011 - 14:35

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

View PostRayJones, on Aug 28 2011 - 14:09, said:

46% on a GW panther? That's impressive :Smile_great:.

Well you should be proud that your GW Tiger can do that highest damage among all tier 7 and below arties. Its damage is also just a second to T92 (Tier 8 Arty). Now that comes at a cost which is poor accuracy and longer reload time.

It's common for the shot not to get a direct hit but with its insane splash damage you can still do a lot of damage to the enemy. Plus splash damage come in handy when you want kill a tank hiding behind an object.

Although splash damage doesn't kill modules it can still kill the crew from its heat. As always, aim for the part of the tank which is having least amount of armor so that the splash damage doesn't get absorbed by the tank hull.

The accuracy, reload and splash damage will improve slightly on the GWE but with the same amount of damage.

I have a 33% accuracy currently on my GW Tiger but in spite of that I have managed to kill 752 tanks in 737 battles.

I guess it is normal then.

After a lot of work trying to improve, I had a 45% accuracy on the GW Tiger with the 170 mounted.

Five or Six games into the GW Tiger with the 210 mounted, I am already down to 40%.

But when I do hit, the damage IS impressive.  I direct hit an IS-3 at 100% about 400m away and knocked him down to 15%.

I was like, whoa!!!

When one of the tanks I was covering saw that, he ran around the corner real quick and finished the IS-3 off with one shot.

So at least the damage of the 210 is as advertised.

Thanks for the response.

Creakazoid #4 Posted Aug 28 2011 - 18:56

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 79
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011
The tradeoff for damage and splash is always accuracy in the high tier SPGs.  You want accuracy, then you get less splash and damage (see Soviet arty).  The German SPGs are a great balance though, really.  I don't get many direct hits per game, but I damage many times more tanks.  Splash is killer and a true stalemate breaker.  If allowing me to damage a guy hiding behind a rock requires me to give up a point or two of accuracy, I think that is worthwhile. After all, those are the tanks that will be the most pesky for your teammates or lesser SPGs to take care of. That's the major appeal of something like the T92 anyway, and the German SPGs strike a good balance between that and having okay accuracy.

misscleo #5 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 12:33

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 2,130
  • Member since:
    12-02-2010
Where you aim depending on the terrain the target is located on has a huge impact where that shell is going to land. Can't just aim for the top of the turret every time and expect a hit. I don't have the upgraded gun for the GWT yet, but it can't be that bad.

RayJones #6 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 12:45

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 864
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011

View Postdpiercey, on Aug 29 2011 - 12:33, said:

Where you aim depending on the terrain the target is located on has a huge impact where that shell is going to land. Can't just aim for the top of the turret every time and expect a hit. I don't have the upgraded gun for the GWT yet, but it can't be that bad.

Basic idea is: Aim for the rear preferably just behind the turret if its on level ground. If its banking, aim for the side closest to you. If its cresting a hill aim for the front preferably front of the turret.

Credits to pekiti:

Posted Image

scott451 #7 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 15:22

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

View PostRayJones, on Aug 29 2011 - 12:45, said:

Basic idea is: Aim for the rear preferably just behind the turret if its on level ground. If its banking, aim for the side closest to you. If its cresting a hill aim for the front preferably front of the turret.

Credits to pekiti:

Posted Image

I saw the same graphic and when I posted it out here, I got the following response from user "Alpoc" (we were talking about where to aim when you get the elongated reticle).  Here is the link:

http://forum.worldof...st-impressions/

Here is his post:

Actually, in my experience that is incorrect. Try putting the center aiming dot on the closest edge of the tank. This will cut down on overshoots, which are bad because they are commonly long misses. Missing short, on the other hand, is usually within splash damage range.

There are some exceptions to this rule, such as when the target is on a reverse slope. In these instances, you have to aim "long" and not short. This will allow the shell to clear the slope crest and follow the slope close to the ground in order to hit the target. This is tricky to do, but here is the best way I can describe it. When you place the cursor on a reverse sloped target, the front and rear edge of the reticle will be "green", and the middle of the reticled will be red or actually "split". Keep stretching the reticle over the target until it is all "green", then take a shot. Good chance of a miss, but when you hit, it drives them crazy.


I don't have enough games in the GW Tiger with the 210 gun yet to tell which method works best.  At least for me.

But I'll post out here in a few days when I think I know something.

vit12345 #8 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 18:40

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 593
  • Member since:
    02-11-2011
When i aim, i just make sure that the point of my mouse(not the dot inside the recticle, but the tip end of the long line) is right at the target and it works for me. However, with the bigger gun, even with the most careful aiming possible, you can still miss. There are some matches that i can't just land a Direct hit on a tank, and that's when splash damage saves the day.

My hit ratio with the GWT is 34% and i got 442 kills after 285 matches. However i still have to improve my dmg per battle, which is just slightly over my record of the GWP.

misscleo #9 Posted Aug 29 2011 - 23:46

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 2,130
  • Member since:
    12-02-2010
Awesome graphic, explains it near perfectly. Also, sometimes you can hit the turret of a tank that is behind a hill or even a rock, even though the lines red when you move your cursor all over it.

Javok #10 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 01:02

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 221
  • Member since:
    03-02-2011

View Postscott451, on Aug 29 2011 - 15:22, said:

I saw the same graphic and when I posted it out here, I got the following response from user "Alpoc" (we were talking about where to aim when you get the elongated reticle).  Here is the link:

http://forum.worldof...st-impressions/

Here is his post:

Actually, in my experience that is incorrect. Try putting the center aiming dot on the closest edge of the tank. This will cut down on overshoots, which are bad because they are commonly long misses. Missing short, on the other hand, is usually within splash damage range.

There are some exceptions to this rule, such as when the target is on a reverse slope. In these instances, you have to aim "long" and not short. This will allow the shell to clear the slope crest and follow the slope close to the ground in order to hit the target. This is tricky to do, but here is the best way I can describe it. When you place the cursor on a reverse sloped target, the front and rear edge of the reticle will be "green", and the middle of the reticled will be red or actually "split". Keep stretching the reticle over the target until it is all "green", then take a shot. Good chance of a miss, but when you hit, it drives them crazy.


I don't have enough games in the GW Tiger with the 210 gun yet to tell which method works best.  At least for me.

But I'll post out here in a few days when I think I know something.

Alpoc is correct and the graphic wrong, you have to allow for shorts in order to prevent/reduce the possibility of long "0 damage" misses, especially with the "big splash/inaccurate" SPGs.

Tacti_Kilt #11 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 02:13

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
I am having a bit of buyer's remorse with my GWT. My Panther was fast to get into and out of position, accurate and decent firepower. My crew is 96% with radio at 100%, premium account, vent - reloading - suspension mod's. I have the next up motor and am half way to the big 210. I seem to miss waaay to much compared to the Panther and it annoys me. Of course the come on arty expecting you to be everything to everyone at once just compounds the issue. Plus, these are exactly money makers. My Panther at least made more $$$ to boot. I am still on the fence it this was a good purchase.

FumaKilla #12 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 05:54

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 538
  • Member since:
    11-20-2010

View Postsww, on Sep 03 2011 - 02:13, said:

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse with my GWT. My Panther was fast to get into and out of position, accurate and decent firepower. My crew is 96% with radio at 100%, premium account, vent - reloading - suspension mod's. I have the next up motor and am half way to the big 210. I seem to miss waaay to much compared to the Panther and it annoys me. Of course the come on arty expecting you to be everything to everyone at once just compounds the issue. Plus, these are exactly money makers. My Panther at least made more $$$ to boot. I am still on the fence it this was a good purchase.

it will as it get fully upgraded. just like any other tanks they perform their best as they reach their full potential. I suggest you put a +10% weight equipment (forget the name) and skip the track go directly to the 210mm gun. after you get the gun everything will be much more easier :) once upgraded GW-T has more potential to make more money than GW-P.

the way GW-T played is on a different role than GW-P so it won't replace the GW-P experience, instead it add a new experience to your artillery odyssey.

scott451 #13 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 17:13

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

View Postsww, on Sep 03 2011 - 02:13, said:

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse with my GWT. My Panther was fast to get into and out of position, accurate and decent firepower. My crew is 96% with radio at 100%, premium account, vent - reloading - suspension mod's. I have the next up motor and am half way to the big 210. I seem to miss waaay to much compared to the Panther and it annoys me. Of course the come on arty expecting you to be everything to everyone at once just compounds the issue. Plus, these are exactly money makers. My Panther at least made more $$$ to boot. I am still on the fence it this was a good purchase.

I felt the same way.  But it does get better.  You lose speed and a bit of accuracy with the GWT compared to the GWP.  But the splash damage with the GWT and the 210 gun is just insane.  And when you do hit, you can literally one hit almost anything tier 7 or 8 and below.  You have to play to your role however to make it worthwhile.  Don't just lob shells downrange at anything.  Your rof just won't support that.  And shells are way to expensive to waste like that.  Find the tier 9 and 10 tanks and high tier TDs and stay on them.  You are about the only thing on the map that can easily kill a Maus, for example.  You are the equalizer.

Its great to say you got 3 or 4 kills in one game.  But if those kills were all low teir tanks at low hp, as a GWT, IMO, you really didn't do very much.

I advise getting the 210 as soon as you can.  Follow the advice out here on the forums as far as aiming is concerned, and you should do well.

Good Luck.

scott451 #14 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 17:21

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 750
  • Member since:
    05-27-2011

View PostJavok, on Aug 30 2011 - 01:02, said:

Alpoc is correct and the graphic wrong, you have to allow for shorts in order to prevent/reduce the possibility of long "0 damage" misses, especially with the "big splash/inaccurate" SPGs.

I have enough games in the GWT with the 210 to agree.  I'm having better luck with Alpoc's suggestion than what the graphic says to do.

Might just be me.  But anyway, there it is.

alpoc #15 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 23:29

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 193
  • Member since:
    09-11-2010
Glad to have been of service

FumaKilla #16 Posted Sep 04 2011 - 02:19

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 538
  • Member since:
    11-20-2010

View Postsww, on Sep 03 2011 - 02:13, said:

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse with my GWT. My Panther was fast to get into and out of position, accurate and decent firepower. My crew is 96% with radio at 100%, premium account, vent - reloading - suspension mod's. I have the next up motor and am half way to the big 210. I seem to miss waaay to much compared to the Panther and it annoys me. Of course the come on arty expecting you to be everything to everyone at once just compounds the issue. Plus, these are exactly money makers. My Panther at least made more $$$ to boot. I am still on the fence it this was a good purchase.

in addition to my post above (I Haven't got the track) the first few game with the 210mm gun I one shot E-75, Tiger II, T32, Ferdi  and T34.
that really make my day and pay off all the pain grinding 210mm with the 170mm gun.
and it raise my damage per battle from 1400 (with 170mm) to 1500 just in few games due to the one shots I did :P
the only draw back with the 210mm it only brought 15 shells...... I do ran out of ammo once.