Looking for an XML editor which can save in WoT's format

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #1 Posted Dec 17 2017 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 52467 battles

Hi all,

I have been looking at the new camouflage definition files to try to recreate my British more-historical camo mod, and I seem to be stuck.  

Before the new patch I was using "Wot_Xml_Editor" (forget where I got that) and things worked fine.  Now, if I just open up one of the camo XML files and save it with that editor, and put it in the appropriate place in res_mods, WoT won't start.  It seems like the files need to be in the binary-encoded XML format you find in the pkg files.  Is there an editor or a converter for that format? 

Coffee_ #2 Posted Sep 04 2018 - 18:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles
Try THIS program. I wrote it and it works well.
Read the info at GitHub.
It does NOT write the file back in the Compressed format.

BSEUNHIR #3 Posted Dec 13 2018 - 03:05

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostCoffee_, on Sep 04 2018 - 17:06, said:

Try THIS program. I wrote it and it works well.
Read the info at GitHub.
It does NOT write the file back in the Compressed format.

Quoting because I hope it pings you or something.

I used to use your editor until 1.3 hit without any big problems. Mostly just use it to maintain a VK30.02M hull swap and MoE sizing fix.

But now in 1.3, even if I do nothing but just decode the XML file, the game just silently crashes to desktop. As soon as I remove the XML it loads again, but it's not modified beyond the decoding your tool does.

Any ideas on how to make it work again?

Thanks in advance

Hat who really only plays on EU

FrozenKemp #4 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 12:24

Major

• Players
  • 52467 battles

P.S. I needed something that would write back in the same format.

What I ended up doing was writing a little program in C# which takes a list of search/replacement orders, runs through the whole file, and does those replacements.  This means I no longer have to hand-edit the file every time WG updates it - I just run my program.  It's wonderful!

I have no idea if anyone might need this program for anything, but if you do, send me a PM.

ShuraBB #5 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 15:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6 battles
It is best to use PjOrion to extract WoT XML files. Edit as always better in Notepad++, there is no need to pack back.

Coffee_ #6 Posted May 16 2019 - 18:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles

View PostBSEUNHIR, on Dec 12 2018 - 21:05, said:

Quoting because I hope it pings you or something.

I used to use your editor until 1.3 hit without any big problems. Mostly just use it to maintain a VK30.02M hull swap and MoE sizing fix.

But now in 1.3, even if I do nothing but just decode the XML file, the game just silently crashes to desktop. As soon as I remove the XML it loads again, but it's not modified beyond the decoding your tool does.

Any ideas on how to make it work again?

Thanks in advance

Hat who really only plays on EU

Yes.. I just realized its broken trying to use it.
If I figure out whats wrong, I'll get back to this post.

Coffee_ #7 Posted May 20 2019 - 14:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43382 battles

Spent a day trying to figure out whats going on with the XML crashing the game after converting it to a text XML file.

I'm not 100% sure on this but it seems the game does not allow editing the XML for the tanks in item_defs anymore.

I'm still looking in to this.

EDIT:
It seems some tank XMLs work and others do not. It must be a value or string that isn't being unpacked correctly but I can't figure out what it is.

Edited by Coffee_, May 28 2019 - 14:18.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users