• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

o4kill #1 Posted Dec 23 2017 - 23:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6959 battles
  • [-RIPT] -RIPT

Two questions:

Is WoT 1.0 expected to continue to offer mac wrapper support?

Has anyone gotten the Encore test to run on a Mac, and if so, can you offer advice on wrapping it or a result score?

black_colt #2 Posted Dec 25 2017 - 03:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 3580 battles

View Posto4kill, on Dec 23 2017 - 14:59, said:

Two questions:

Is WoT 1.0 expected to continue to offer mac wrapper support?

Has anyone gotten the Encore test to run on a Mac, and if so, can you offer advice on wrapping it or a result score?

No - Wargaming does not support the WoT Mac Wrapper nor did they produce it.  The WoT Mac Wrapper was produced by CodeWeavers.

I am quite sure that CodeWeavers is intensely studying the the Encore app to see what it is going to take to let the WoT Mac Wrapper run the app.  Do not expect anything prior to the release of the 1.0 version of the game.  Even then WoT Mac Wrapper users may need to wait as Wargaming must approve any changes to the WoT Mac Wrapper.

Yes I have gotten the Encore app to run on my Apple-branded Intel-based hardware quite easily by booting into MS WIndows.

I run MS Windows on my iMac an MacBook Pro for the Test Server, Common Test and the Encore app.  Just a simple reboot to play and a simple reboot to get back to OS X/macOS.  No need to try and figure out how to make work on OS X/macOS.  I recommend that you seriously consider this route.

pommis #3 Posted Jan 03 2018 - 15:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Well i have the game alldsy on so its useless to boot to windows.Hope the wrappers start supporting this new engine.Wy didn wg make suppport to osx whit the new engine.

black_colt #4 Posted Jan 03 2018 - 16:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 3580 battles

View Postpommis, on Jan 03 2018 - 06:25, said:

Well i have the game alldsy on so its useless to boot to windows.Hope the wrappers start supporting this new engine.Wy didn wg make suppport to osx whit the new engine.

Setting up MS Windows on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware is easily accomplished using the supplied Boot Camp app from Apple.  Takes >= 60 minutes depending on your Mac hardware.  I can partition my internal drive and completely install MS Windows in about 15 minutes on my iMac.

As I stated before I am sure that CodeWeavers [who produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming] is looking at the Encore engine for issues.  CodeWeavers does not release beta versions of the WoT Mac Wrapper so users of the WoT Mac Wrapper will need to what wait until at least March 2018 before we can run on OS X/macOS.

Wargaming has never directly supported OS X/macOS or Linux so why would they change now?  

World of Tanks uses DirectX. DirectX has never been released for any OS except MS Windows. The blame for not having a OS X/macOS and Linux native game lies directly with Wargaming and Microsoft.

The WoT Mac Wrapper is a good solution for OS X/macOS users.  It uses WINE [Wine Is Not an Emulator] and CodeWeavers is dedicated to making WINE work.  WINE translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly eliminating many of the performance and/or memory penalties of emulation or virtual machines - as well as not requiring the installation of MS Windows.

Now if the game was based on OpenGL then OS X/macOS and Linux users would probably have a native version of World of Tanks.

Edited by black_colt, Jan 03 2018 - 16:57.

A_U_G_U_S_T_U_S #5 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 08:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1915 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

This stinks.

It's funny because when I ran WoT on my Mac with a partitioned drive, it ran like crap. And that's being kind. When I finally got the wrapper figured out and working, it worked great. I've had almost no problems at all with the Wrapper...which isn't supported by WG. lmbo. 

When I partitioned, it didn't quite work out as easily as all the Youtube vids made it seem. It took one of my computer know-it-all friends to get it to work. Can anyone find a more up to date video with a good description of how to go about it? Everything I can find is kind of old and doesn't look exactly like new stuff, IOW High Sierra.

black_colt #6 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 17:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 3580 battles

View PostA_U_G_U_S_T_U_S, on Jan 03 2018 - 23:48, said:

This stinks.

It's funny because when I ran WoT on my Mac with a partitioned drive, it ran like crap. And that's being kind. When I finally got the wrapper figured out and working, it worked great. I've had almost no problems at all with the Wrapper...which isn't supported by WG. lmbo. 

When I partitioned, it didn't quite work out as easily as all the Youtube vids made it seem. It took one of my computer know-it-all friends to get it to work. Can anyone find a more up to date video with a good description of how to go about it? Everything I can find is kind of old and doesn't look exactly like new stuff, IOW High Sierra.

Are you talking about booting into MS Windows and then running native MS Windows World of Tanks game?

If so and you have a internal HDD then this is expected. In my experience MS Windows does not seem to run well on HDDs based on my experience with a 1TB WD Velociraptor [10,000 RPM].

If you have and internal HDD and Thunderbolt 1 or 2 then the easiest way to do this is to use an external SSD [needs to be at least 512GB in size].  Just install OS X/macOS on the external SSD, boot into the external SSD over Thunderbolt, run Boot Camp to install MS Windows on the external SSD.  When you want to use MS Windows just boot into the external SSD [OS X/macOS will show the MS Windows boot partition when you hold down the [Option/Alt] key at boot up].

I did this for awhile when I was deciding whether I wanted to invest in having my late 2015 iMac 5K Retina to be able to run MS Windows from the internal SSD.  I ended up installing MS Windows on a partition of the internal SSD and used the [old] SSD as the apps drive for MS Windows with a Thunderbolt 2 external HD enclosure.  It is quite speedy.  Not if I can just get MS Windows to recognize my RAID-Z in that enclosure ...

Edited by black_colt, Jan 04 2018 - 17:36.

A_U_G_U_S_T_U_S #7 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 20:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1915 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postblack_colt, on Jan 04 2018 - 08:33, said:

Are you talking about booting into MS Windows and then running native MS Windows World of Tanks game?

If so and you have a internal HDD then this is expected. In my experience MS Windows does not seem to run well on HDDs based on my experience with a 1TB WD Velociraptor [10,000 RPM].

If you have and internal HDD and Thunderbolt 1 or 2 then the easiest way to do this is to use an external SSD [needs to be at least 512GB in size].  Just install OS X/macOS on the external SSD, boot into the external SSD over Thunderbolt, run Boot Camp to install MS Windows on the external SSD.  When you want to use MS Windows just boot into the external SSD [OS X/macOS will show the MS Windows boot partition when you hold down the [Option/Alt] key at boot up].

I did this for awhile when I was deciding whether I wanted to invest in having my late 2015 iMac 5K Retina to be able to run MS Windows from the internal SSD.  I ended up installing MS Windows on a partition of the internal SSD and used the [old] SSD as the apps drive for MS Windows with a Thunderbolt 2 external HD enclosure.  It is quite speedy.  Not if I can just get MS Windows to recognize my RAID-Z in that enclosure ...

So would an external hard drive work, assuming I used a Thunderbolt cable? I have a 2Tb external I use mainly for photos and back-ups.

That option never even occurred to me.

black_colt #8 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 21:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 3580 battles

View PostA_U_G_U_S_T_U_S, on Jan 08 2018 - 11:48, said:

So would an external hard drive work, assuming I used a Thunderbolt cable? I have a 2Tb external I use mainly for photos and back-ups.

That option never even occurred to me.

Yes I do this all the time over ThunderBolt 2 [will work with ThunderBolt but the speed may be too slow].

But you need to install OS X/macOS and MS Windows on the external drive.  Then you just start up holding down the [Option] key and select that drive and OS.  

Also tagged with encore, 1.0, mac

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users