Artillery absolutely integral to game-quit whining

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

Realign #61 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 22:33

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

The two largest issues with artillery is that it largely doesn't accomplish the goal of the much spoken meme 'preventing kemping', added to maps that do not allow for many avenues of attack. 

To point number 1, it is frequently the players making aggressive plays being slapped by artillery since arty does have to see you.  Don't really blame them for shooting the scouts and mediums since the td's aren't lit, but with the increases to splash and accuracy (and faster reloads) its pretty easy to splash for 200-400 and stunning the moving target.  The design is flawed when the goal is to break turtles and deal with stationary targets, but the reality is the opposite.

The maps additionally don't help things.  Lets just get rid of the 'oh just play arty safe!' argument please.  To actually be arty safe you usually have to camp like a sloth behind substantial cover on the average map.  Take abbey as a good example.  The team that does not push 2 line and camps harder until the other side gets bored will usually win a 2+ arty game.  First team to try and advance there gets slammed by the artillery.  Another good example is El Haluf.  Big map where 90% of the players pile into 1-2 grid squares into the NW.  Depending on the arty (CGC) you will get slammed every reload no matter what.  Having only 1-2 viable positions that winning means usually winning the game on many maps also doesn't work with current artillery model.

Suggested changes:
1) Map improvement - hopefully these HD maps have small changes that will help some of the worst of the chokepoints

2) When artillery fires have that map grid highlight for enemy artillery players to encourage CB/relocation/some amount of active gameplay for the class.

3) Give artillery a flare round they can fire and light enemies within 20m or something of where it lands.  This would actually do something about entrenched/hidden td's and such.  Friendly pings the grid, you take a stab at lighting the target.  This also would spend a reload doing something other than annoyingly chain splashing someone while still impacting the battle in a way that promotes movement.

4) Cap arty at 2.  3 arty is a miserable experience on any map that isn't a 'bad arty map'.  Yes this means more games with 1-2 arty vs. none, but 1 arty games are way less terrible than 3 arty games.  3 arty games also means a significant less amount of hp on the board which can be annoying from an XP standpoint.

I'd also be fine with outright removal, but the above would help and ought to make the class more fun for everyone, including the arty players.

flare_phonics #62 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 22:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22788 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Arty is for idiots who would never be able to maintain over 1,000 dpg in the most overpowered vehicles in the game, as it gives them a way to sea damage without and fear of retribution (because WG made countering more difficult for some reason). Indirect fire doesn't objectively belong in this game whatsoever. The presence of xvm exacerbates the problem as it facilitates actively griefing good players. WG won't remove arty because they prioritize making a profit over making sure their product is well-balanced.

At the very least, it should definitely be made so that allied artillery does not stun teammates. I've lost brawls - and thus, games - because my artillery was like "hurr durr, this guy needs help with this oneshot that he's about to kill," fired, missed the enemy and stunned me, allowing the enemy to outreload me. That's just dumb.

Realign #63 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 22:49

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Postflare_phonics, on Dec 31 2017 - 16:47, said:

At the very least, it should definitely be made so that allied artillery does not stun teammates. I've lost brawls - and thus, games - because my artillery was like "hurr durr, this guy needs help with this oneshot that he's about to kill," fired, missed the enemy and stunned me, allowing the enemy to outreload me. That's just dumb.

Friendly artillery damage/stun does need to be vastly increased in the built in punishment system.  Since coming back I've definitely been hit by greedy friendly artillery much more often then before changes.

stubmw #64 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 22:52

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23454 battles
I don't play a lot of arty, find it kind of boring, still I think it has a role in this game. I don't agree automatically with arty players lacking skill, having a good arty player on the GREEN team can be huge.

nuclearguy931 #65 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 22:53

Major

• Players
  • 75658 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostT__J, on Dec 31 2017 - 10:22, said:

Gota love when "inicums" yels at you :), specialy when i receiving PM's after battle because those "unicums/gold ammo spammers and stat padders", can't stop crying about being killed by my arty. So, if you that "good" and you "unicum", learn to take cover from arty !!!! AND STOP CRYING !!!.  +1 to thread author.

Yup, they try to take chances and when it doesn't work out for them they have to find someone to blame, might as well blame arty and XVM sniping.....lol.

spud_tuber #66 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 23:24

Major

• Players
  • 51872 battles

View PostDuqe, on Dec 31 2017 - 10:54, said:

People left because so many of them hated the stun mechanic, not because artillery got "nerfed".

They got objectively buffed, instead of one-shot killing, they became a griefing tool like never before, and now they can fire into brawls because the likelihood of high damage to their own teammates has way decreased. Team damage by artillery isn't only more common now, it's abundant.

That's why people leave, because artillery keeps becoming more of an obstacle to fun.

If you rubbed your 1.5 brain cells together sometime, you might be able to see the obvious.

Do you have any evidence that arty was objectively buffed?  Like, I dunno, an increase in WR, DPG, or XPG across the class since 9.18?  Or, even better, significant improvement in their tank curves?  You're being quite forceful with your clain, especially with the objectively part, so my asking for you to provide evidence to support your position doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Duqe #67 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 23:38

Major

• Players
  • 26112 battles
  • [BERT] BERT

View Postspud_tuber, on Dec 31 2017 - 23:24, said:

Do you have any evidence that arty was objectively buffed?  Like, I dunno, an increase in WR, DPG, or XPG across the class since 9.18?  Or, even better, significant improvement in their tank curves?  You're being quite forceful with your clain, especially with the objectively part, so my asking for you to provide evidence to support your position doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Way more reason to hate it since the update from a majority of the community that isn't some errant griefing whiners like OP¨.

spud_tuber #68 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 23:55

Major

• Players
  • 51872 battles

View PostDuqe, on Dec 31 2017 - 16:38, said:

Way more reason to hate it since the update from a majority of the community that isn't some errant griefing whiners like OP¨.

So, you're saying that no you don't have any objective evidence to support your claim?  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users