Yesterday I was threatened outside of the game.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

klaatu_Barada #1 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6507 battles
  • [VENUM] VENUM

Yesterday I was playing a match and it wasn't going well.  He was griping about the team not watching the flank, I was over there with him so I wasn't even one of the ones he was complaining about.

But he kept going on and on about how we were all losers in life and it got pretty explicit, so I said a few comments about it being just a game and it has no real connection to our real lives.  I also called him an a-hole.  We were both swarmed, and shut down.  Ironically, the team came back from the city and we won the match.  

Then I get back to my garage and a PM is waiting on me.  He really goes off, threatens me, my career, he is going to find me and publicly shame me and all sorts of stuff.  Says he and his pals have or are writing 'code' that will givel them my IP address and he will use that to steal my identity and continue this to oblivion. My response is short, no name calling or anything,  to me this is very serious. I messaged back that this type of threat is assault and is a criminal act.  

He messaged me back but by then I clicked blacklist and it went away so I dont know what his response was.  Nor do I know how to report the behavior to WG.  I am new here, and I am a strawberry or tomato or whatever (thank you for that XVM, very helpful to everyone) and I have met some really nice folks.  But dang, when you start dropping threats to people it gets a bit scary. and with the swatting death in the news, it starts to get serious.

So I am done.  I will not engage in chat outside of gameplay.  I always appreciate when I get a "fallback!!" as it makes me a better player.   I hope to play the game, and continue to have fun.  As a new player I have found the complexity of it, the various tanks to be really fun (I am a CoD crossover, and I havent even played the game since a few days after its release.) But why do some hate it so much, yet still play?  Anyway, I hope the guy was just being mouthy, and it ends there. but frick me it has me concerned.

JRos1983 #2 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:38

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 571 battles

Ok sorry but:

1. No one cares

2. Those threats are empty

3. You shouldn't respond to those people at all

Are you new to online gaming?

riyad1974 #3 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:38

Captain

• Players
  • 37039 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
That guy is super butthurt, I hope you took screen shots of that, send it to support, they wont let slide easy, he should get a nice ban, and dont worry he cannt do nothing to you other than crying like little 2 yo girl...

TeaTimeWithKongou #4 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8463 battles
If you really want to do something go to support and send a ticket in with what he said with screenshots. That's about all you can do.

TeaTimeWithKongou #5 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8463 battles
As for the threats don't worry about it it's honestly just baseless and nothing to come of it.

MacDaddyMatty #6 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 26639 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Open a ticket to WG

Spoiler

Tell them what you told us.

SCREENSHOTS are nice-to-have.

WG can and will look up the chat history.

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, Dec 31 2017 - 17:40.

WarMongers #7 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14325 battles
  • [SCRAP] SCRAP
Screen shot the pm and send it in a ticket to customer service.  Or just ignore the troll and blacklist them and move on.

riff_ #8 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:42

Major

• Players
  • 27605 battles

View Postklaatu_Barada, on Dec 31 2017 - 11:35, said:

Yesterday I was playing a match and it wasn't going well.  He was griping about the team not watching the flank, I was over there with him so I wasn't even one of the ones he was complaining about.

But he kept going on and on about how we were all losers in life and it got pretty explicit, so I said a few comments about it being just a game and it has no real connection to our real lives.  I also called him an a-hole.  We were both swarmed, and shut down.  Ironically, the team came back from the city and we won the match.

Then I get back to my garage and a PM is waiting on me.  He really goes off, threatens me, my career, he is going to find me and publicly shame me and all sorts of stuff.  Says he and his pals have or are writing 'code' that will givel them my IP address and he will use that to steal my identity and continue this to oblivion. My response is short, no name calling or anything,  to me this is very serious. I messaged back that this type of threat is assault and is a criminal act.

He messaged me back but by then I clicked blacklist and it went away so I dont know what his response was.  Nor do I know how to report the behavior to WG.  I am new here, and I am a strawberry or tomato or whatever (thank you for that XVM, very helpful to everyone) and I have met some really nice folks.  But dang, when you start dropping threats to people it gets a bit scary. and with the swatting death in the news, it starts to get serious.

So I am done.  I will not engage in chat outside of gameplay.  I always appreciate when I get a "fallback!!" as it makes me a better player.   I hope to play the game, and continue to have fun.  As a new player I have found the complexity of it, the various tanks to be really fun (I am a CoD crossover, and I havent even played the game since a few days after its release.) But why do some hate it so much, yet still play?  Anyway, I hope the guy was just being mouthy, and it ends there. but frick me it has me concerned.

First off, forget about the dweeb.  He was lying and just wanted to provoke you.

Second, I go with 'moron' because if you send a screen shot to WG with where you wrote a-ho....it does not look good for you.

Third, nice game name.  Your brother posts on the forum also.  I'll give you a link.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/user/klaatu-nicto-1003124536/

Edited by riff_, Dec 31 2017 - 17:46.

apsen #9 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 130900 battles
  • [FRI] FRI

View PostJRos1983, on Dec 31 2017 - 11:38, said:

Ok sorry but:

1. No one cares

Tell that to the guy that was killed over something that has happened in game...

NutrientibusMeaGallus #10 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 20311 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
     Screenshots sent to support. Its all you can do on your end without getting yourself into trouble. Prior poster is right. The threats are empty and you shouldn't even bother really replying. Back in the days of bbs systems with all local gamers I would tell people where to meet me to resolve our differences outside the game... Nobody ever showed up.. 20 some odd years later and less testosterone and I understand how stupid that was... But yeah empty threats, nobody ever shows, just send screen shots to support.

ThePigSheFlies #11 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 63937 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostJRos1983, on Dec 31 2017 - 11:38, said:

Ok sorry but:

1. No one cares

in actuality, out of game threats are one of the few things that wargaming takes seriously.  especially with the news reporting "swatting" events more and more frequently.

to the OP, screen capture the chat dialogue, and submit a ticket.  if your own chat was also actionable, you might also end up with sanctions.

my one and only chat ban ever occured in much the same way, I received an out of game threat during a match - I had lashed out at the worthless player that was not only filling chat with toxicity but also was sitting afk at spawn.  I got a brief chat ban from it.  the offender got a chat ban, and an apparent time-out from the game (I followed up by asking his clan commander how long his ban was for)

anyway, it's a good reason why I try to keep my various online persona's all separate from each other, as well as separate from my real life.  

JRos1983 #12 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 571 battles

View Postapsen, on Dec 31 2017 - 17:43, said:

Tell that to the guy that was killed over something that has happened in game...

Oh shut up. Outlier examples prove nothing. There's extremes in everything.

_ARTIMUS_ #13 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14338 battles
Take a screen shot of the messages and report his [edited]to WG and dont worry about it, you'll see a lot of it in wot.

Peak_Bagger #14 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16221 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

It's easier when you remember that this guy is just a powerless little person doing whatever he can to get under your skin. You triggered him and he was saying whatever he could in order to get back at you. Ignore clowns like this in game in in chat. But yeah, do report him. I think this is a particular problem for newer players - I don't seem to get nearly as many negative messages now as compared to my first couple of months.

Welcome to the game, Klaatu! There are more great people in the game than turds. Send a positive note to people who had great games and you'll see what I mean.

fatkiddown #15 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24627 battles
https://youtu.be/cYPgRV85c5g

klaatu_Barada #16 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6507 battles
  • [VENUM] VENUM

View PostJRos1983, on Dec 31 2017 - 17:38, said:

Ok sorry but:

1. No one cares

No, I go all the way back to Quake and Action Quake.  Then Half-Life, Action HL, and probably the heaviest I ever got involved was with a Clan playing Americas Army 10+ Years ago.  I got out a for a few years due to career and family, but started playing online with friends on XBox a few years ago.  I typically played with no in game comms, we were always in a squad together and I pretty much just played with friends.   when I played solo, I could just mute the guys who were [edited], but most would only say helpful things (taking B, etc.)  For a while my gamertag was "whyUSuck" because I got that as a PM from a guy after a match.  I think the difficulty of typing on the Xbox meant that only the truly dedicated sent messages. There has always been some level of toxicity in every game.  I really really hate to lose at RISK, and I have rage quit everygame I have ever played at some point, even Fallout 4 and that is solo play.  Ah well, I shall ignore it as I did not take screen shots and should not have poked him verbally in game.  I have learned.  I do appreciate all the cool folks that I meet, that is why I dont just disable in game chat or even PM's.     

klaatu_Barada #17 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6507 battles
  • [VENUM] VENUM

View Postfatkiddown, on Dec 31 2017 - 17:49, said:

I love the Jingles Youtube videos 'why u heff to be mad?'  :)  

BigDollarBillz #18 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:55

Major

• Players
  • 36801 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
You can unblacklist the guy, right click his name, hit send message. The message he typed you should still be there. Take a couple screen shots, put in a ticket as harassment.

legolion17 #19 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 17:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7228 battles
Yeah I've had my Mother been threaten by a troll/spammer.In case you didn't know it's the very popular spammer Danvitenk

1stTanks #20 Posted Dec 31 2017 - 18:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 36216 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostJRos1983, on Dec 31 2017 - 16:38, said:

Ok sorry but:

1. No one cares

This response is trash. Not even brave enough to respond on real account with garbage. 

OP, report him to WG. Ensure you have screenshots. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users