Question on decision making during the first minute(s) of the game

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Heldentod #1 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 11:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 3702 battles

Hi everyone,

Most of the time I play a mid tier medium tank. At the start of the game I often have a hard time deciding which way to go. In a lot of cases you see the team split up in 2 or 3 groups that go their own way and when the spread is even, I just join the group I think I can help out the best. The problem is when the split is very uneven:

- 2 SPG go sit in the back

- 2 TDs go to a sniping spot

- 8 tanks go one way

- 2 tanks pick the other side

This always makes me hesitant: obviously the 2 need the most support, but if I join them I usually get roflstomped. If I join the 8 I will survive a lot longer but I feel like an [edited]for leaving the 2 alone and if our massive push gets stalled we lose the game. Joining the big group and hanging back a bit in case someone needs to go and reset cap is also not good as it prevents me taking a lot of offensive shots and most people don't like to go back to defend so still I may be able to rset cap once or twice but get killed by numbers rather quickly (I probably lack the skills to take on a 3vs1 shootout).

For now it seems that going with the bigger group and be part of the spearhead pays off the most as it gives me the highest chance of doing damage and staying alive, but it does feel very selfish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year to all and thanks for making this such a fun game!

Morbii #2 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 12:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46021 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

If there's a lemming situation, your best bet is to follow the crowd for reasons you've already deduced. 

In this scenario, very often the players are so bad that the 8 will also get rofflestomped even though they will likely overmatch the other team (they will be too timid to use it to their advantage).  However, every so often you can eek out a win in that situation, and your own gun is critical to this (which will be taken out of the match early on if you don't follow the lemming rush).

For similar reasons, if you're in a very fast tank, you should usually bail out of situations where it's very clear that you'll die if you stick around, even if you have to leave slower teammates behind (and simply ignore their raging - quite often they put themselves in that situation anyway by not reading the map).

Edited by Morbii, Jan 01 2018 - 12:17.

Bob_5000 #3 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 12:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32403 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-
actually being a medium is a lot better than all other classes. you can afford to fight for longer (and more damage out put than lights) with said lemming rush to make sure they win it. and then go back to defend because u have the speed to do so. in slower tanks u can fight in lemming rush for less time as u will need to go back to defend base. as said, dont feel bad about letting teammates die either. leave those 2 to get killed quickly if they choose to stay. 

Whistling_Death_ #4 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 12:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 57077 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

I once kept track of the teams that used the one-flank lemming-train fail and the won/loss record with it. Sitting down? After 150 losses in a row with my teams using the one-flank lemming-train fail, the truth about this failed strategy was glaringly evident. We need to watch our mini-map's and if we see our team starting to abandon a flank and overpower the other flank, we need to break off, reverse course and go cover the abandoned flank, so we don't lose. God bless.

Viper69 #5 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 15:04

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
You know you are going to have a good game when all your top tier tanks go valley on lakeville when the cap is in town not at the enemy’s base.

Heldentod #6 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 15:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 3702 battles
Thanks for your responses, I'll keep the advice in mind. Hopefully I'll get better at reading the map and making the right decision!

3nr0n #7 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 15:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15568 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

The lemming effect is on every tier but what is sad is when the lemmings are held up by one tank.  You would think that 8 tanks would act like a pack of wolves and devour the lone tank:izmena: but NO they stop and call for help.:facepalm:

With the majority of the "team" hemmed up in a corner all worried about one tank the other team decides to surround them and then they melt like butter leaving those who have looked at the mini map and are actually trying to keep the enemy at bay get killed.:(

Almighty_Johnson #8 Posted Jan 01 2018 - 16:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20451 battles
  • [JOY] JOY

View PostMorbii, on Jan 01 2018 - 06:16, said:

If there's a lemming situation, your best bet is to follow the crowd for reasons you've already deduced. 

In this scenario, very often the players are so bad that the 8 will also get rofflestomped even though they will likely overmatch the other team (they will be too timid to use it to their advantage).  However, every so often you can eek out a win in that situation, and your own gun is critical to this (which will be taken out of the match early on if you don't follow the lemming rush).

For similar reasons, if you're in a very fast tank, you should usually bail out of situations where it's very clear that you'll die if you stick around, even if you have to leave slower teammates behind (and simply ignore their raging - quite often they put themselves in that situation anyway by not reading the map).

^^^ THIS^^^   And just because, it's "eke".  "EEK" is an exclamation of surprise, like when a woman sees a mouse.

Bottom line, LOOK AT THE MINI MAP and always be ready to flex or run away.  If you die valiantly, you're still dead and the team is another gun short.

uberdice #9 Posted Jan 03 2018 - 07:47

Major

• Players
  • 24151 battles

Who cares what the two people who decide to derp into an unsupported lane think?

You're not occupying a slot in the team of 15 to preserve the feelings of two people who overextend and turn themselves into speed bumps that do one shot of damage before getting rolled.

Doing as much as possible to help your team win is never selfish. Throwing your tanks into positions where the only way you'll get support is if your teammates take resources away from more viable parts of the map, and then expecting support... is.

60_percnt_wrks_everytime #10 Posted Jan 03 2018 - 18:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5399 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
Here is my thought process in a medium: During the 30 second countdown, I look over the tanks on both teams and determine the likely location for early damage and vision. Once the game starts I do the 30/45 second check ( I think Zeven may have this trademarked) to see if my decision is still valid based on where my teammates are heading, it may or may not matter depending on the map. Remember that in a medium you have the ability to flex around the map, so you should constantly check in with yourself regarding your current and, even more important, next position. In a medium, you are either shooting or flexing, always keep that in mind.

misterwit #11 Posted Jan 03 2018 - 22:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14432 battles

When the team lemmings to one side of the map, I try to remember that they are no longer abandoning the flank as much as they are moving it. If everyone who was going to go to flank B instead simply acts as a rear guard that watches over the cap as the team pushes, you can often still be successful. Recognize that the team is an organic thing that doesn't really make decisions, it is the culmination of everyone's actions and so you can't really ask the team to behave predictably.

But that also means your opponent can't either. The strategy doesn't matter as much in pub games. Unless it's a city map and the opponent has far heavier tanks (type 4/5+Maus+badgers) versus you having squishy tanks, as long as people play well and trade efficiently, you win. If you go to a flank alone and die, it is YOU that traded inefficiently and caused the loss, not the lemmings. So play smart and focus on what you can do. Definitely still try and communicate, but have a plan if no one's listening.

TankFullOfBourbon #12 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 09:23

Major

• Players
  • 24216 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

As a new player you can do a lot worse than to go with the lemming train. In the end, your purpose is to do as much damage to the other team as possible. Getting killed in the first 2 minutes because you are trying to protect the weak flank is not giving you more points (xp/credits) and it doesn't help the team much either. The lemming train may well be a collapsing team but it will offer you more protection and hopefully a longer life span.

There are some other things to look out for as well:

The guy with a cunning plan: The guy who tells everybody to go Valley at Lakeville, dragging with him all who goes with him to disaster. I don't use XVM and I don't endorse it but it helps identifying these individuals. As I don't have XVM, I tend to ignore all self-appointed leaders as I cannot trust them.

The Follow-Me player: Never ever follow the "TankFullOfBourbon! Follow me" player. It is for sure, and it never fails, a player much worse than you who is usually quite useless and dangerous to play with. Never follow and expect others to react the same if you ask them to follow you.

The bumper and the pre-mature shooter: Always avoid and stay clear of the guy who starts off right from the bat at spawn with bumping into you or other players, or worse, he cuts others off on purpose. That guy, be his problem bad parenting, drugs, alcohol, or infantile age, is going to continue with his antics all game, and will if given a chance push you infront of him and get you killed. LIkewise the premature shooter, you know the player who wants to "clean his pipes" 7 seconds after spawn and then continues to randomly shoot at things in front of him as he moves to the front. You can be sure that when he does have an enemy to shoot at he will not, or miss. Try to have as much distance between you and these two players as you possibly can. I am sometimes willing to pick the other flank with only two tanks just to get away from these two.

I am sure there are others but these were the ones that came to mind at this moment. Please dont be one of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users