Bad form/Wrong-strategy on my part, or ignore the battle Trolls?

strategy choosing your role protect base lemming rush collapsed flanks chess mini-map sniper/sniping old fart trolling

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

ChaosKampf #1 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 00:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

I get messages regularly both during, and after battles, all but one of which so far, has been someone informing me of how "useless" I am, in varying degrees of inventive insults and colorful language (many with a disturbing lack of language or spelling skills). Regardless, they are nearly always in response to my playing style.

I'm not good at "Brawling" no matter what Tank I use, and I know it, just like I know that I can't sing, so I don't do Karaoke. So instead of rushing off to get myself killed asap, I have set most of my Tanks up as best I can to serve in either an Overwatch, or a Sniping role. 

When using Tanks that aren't good for a sniping role, I still tend to only advance about 1/4 of the map, in the center-line. I watch the center from cover (usually alone), and once I see that there are no immediate threats, and the flanks appear to be holding, I will attempt to circle from the middle, to a position behind the weaker of my teams flanks.  Otherwise, if I see that a Flank defense has collapsed, or that it's going to collapse soon and I know I can't help the situation, I retreat to a position in which I can attempt to protect the Arty's and the Base both. Sometimes other players join me in an overwatch position when a flank collapses, but most of the time they just rush off towards an already collapsed flank and get vaporized.

I treat the mini-map kind of like a chess board, and I prefer to watch things as they unfold. I am assuming that most of the "Good" players do the same. I'm not one of the "Good" players, but I still try to play the game with patience and strategy. If I see a flank collapse, and think that I can stop it, or at least make a useful difference, I will advance to a sniping position as soon as the first signs of failure start to appear. Otherwise, when 10 or 12 of the players immediately rush off to one side of the map, which all of you know happens entirely too often, I stick with my chosen role in the game.

So tell me, I can take criticism... According to the overall mentality of the game, am I in the wrong by playing this way? Or in other words, regardless of what I think is good strategy, is that simply not acceptable within the culture of this game?

Sean

the_dude_76 #2 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:01

Major

• Players
  • 31847 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM
Just ignore anyone who insults you, most likely they are just speaking out of frustration. But, at the same time, if someone seems to be offering friendly advice don't assume they are trying to flame you. I've tried to help people when I see they're newer players and made an obvious mistake but more often than not I'm told to F off.

SenaKashiwazaki #3 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 16335 battles
  • [-L-L-] -L-L-
Ignore any insults people throw at you.... Like someone said above.... They just frustrated.... Or downright Buttholes......

MFGrant #4 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 11014 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB
My question is a simple one   What attempts are you making to improve your game play?  Assuming this is not an alt-account if you have just under 2000 battles I don't think you've played enough to give up on adjustments.    What keeps you from being an effective brawler?    Are you useful in overwatch?  That role isn't going to work well if the teams you are on don't have people who are effective spotters.  Can you learn to spot? 

cartires #5 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:11

Captain

• Players
  • 37641 battles

If your not going to "brawl" in a brawling tank don't drive it. You are handicaping your team. Drive a tank type you like and do reasonably well in or try to learn how to brawl. 

PS. if you were the guy in the mauschen "sniping" (as a top tier heavy...wow....

ChaosKampf #6 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View PostMFGrant, on Jan 03 2018 - 18:04, said:

My question is a simple one   What attempts are you making to improve your game play?  Assuming this is not an alt-account if you have just under 2000 battles I don't think you've played enough to give up on adjustments.    What keeps you from being an effective brawler?    Are you useful in overwatch?  That role isn't going to work well if the teams you are on don't have people who are effective spotters.  Can you learn to spot? 

I occasionally attempt to improve the head-to-head fighting, but to be honest, I prefer to play like I've been playing, so I use a couple of premiums (the Strv S1 and whatever they call the premium Swedish medium), plus I'm trying to advance in the German non-premium TD Line. Tried the grind with the Swedish TD's but figured since I had the S1, there was no reason to do so. I also have the T-34-85, and the Lago right now, as far Tanks meant to be "head-to-head", although I've set the T-34-85 up as a sniper, at least as well as I can anyway.

I have the "Ripper" medium American premium, but the gun on it isn't powerful enough to try to play overwatch without help, so I actually have to go head-to-head with it. It's definitely taught me to use the hull-down position as much as possible, but the gun is so weak it just ends up being a disappointing play-through for me nearly every time.

View Postcartires, on Jan 03 2018 - 18:11, said:

If your not going to "brawl" in a brawling tank don't drive it. You are handicaping your team. Drive a tank type you like and do reasonably well in or try to learn how to brawl. 

PS. if you were the guy in the mauschen "sniping" (as a top tier heavy...wow....

I only have one Heavy, and I only have it because I "won" it in one of those boxes  (the French one with German markings). Other than that one Heavy, the only Tanks I have that are meant to be in the thick of things are mediums that I'm trying to work up the tier ladder with. The Swedish line, and the T-34-85 are the main Tanks that I'm doing the grind on right now. Most of my "serious" sniping, I do with the S1.

It's just a game for me, and this is actually the first Online game I've ever gotten interested in enough to stick with, and spend money on. I'm more of a Fallout/Elder Scrolls gamer, but since my Grandfather was a Tank Scout for the 2nd Marine Tank Div in WWII, this game finally attracted my interest because I was told it was pretty realistic, as far as the Tanks, the ballistics, etc...

(And as much as everybody hates Arty, I will admit that I enjoy playing them. It's just a game to me, and I can help my teams more with Arty than anything else so far. Along with good strategy (IMO), that's another reason I try to protect the Arty's, although that favor is rarely returned. I get it though, most everybody hates Arty.)

RumRunner151 #7 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30150 battles
I am guessing you get most of the complaints when you run your Tier 8 tanks which you bought but did not earn.  As such, you are a detriment to your team and people can get pretty pissed.  I would stop at Tier 5 until you get your win rate to 50%

ChaosKampf #8 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 01:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View PostRumRunner151, on Jan 03 2018 - 18:45, said:

I am guessing you get most of the complaints when you run your Tier 8 tanks which you bought but did not earn.  As such, you are a detriment to your team and people can get pretty pissed.  I would stop at Tier 5 until you get your win rate to 50%

I understand that point of view too, and actually, I bought two of them almost immediately after downloading the game. Only afterwards did I learn that it's not considered "Kosher" to do so. Aside from that, the Tier 8 S1 is excellent for overwatch/sniping. I have the camo rating so high that I'm nearly always the last Tank killed, and the gun hits hard enough, and at long enough range, to make it a definite asset to the team.

ChaosKampf #9 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 02:20

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

Just looked my percentages up and the better vehicle scores I have so far are - Strv m/42-57 Alt A.2 (prem) 52.5%, Strv m/38 is 61%, Covenanter 52.3%, Universal Carrier 2-pdr 57%, Cruiser Mk. III 57%, M5 Stuart 61%, Pvlvv fm/42 60%, etc. They're all relatively low battle numbers though, because other than the Strv m/42-57, I played them long enough to advance to the next Tank, then sold them.

I don't play the Strv S1 (43.1%) as often as I'd like, because it "rewards" me with the most Trolling, although it is the best vehicle I own (IMO) for the overwatch/sniping role. I got rid of the KR (37.7%) for the same reason, but just bought it back yesterday, because I decided since the gun is so weak, I need to use it to learn how to use Armor more effectively. I use the Strv m/42-57 as overwatch/sniper probably more than anything besides TD's, but my handicap there is the armor, rather than the gun as in the KR.

None of the numbers really make any difference to me; that's not why I play the game. What does concern me, and the reason I made this post in the first place, is because I don't want to be seen as a "Cheater" of some sort for either the way I prefer to play, or the fact that I actually spent money on the game...

RumRunner151 #10 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 03:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30150 battles

View PostChaosKampf, on Jan 03 2018 - 18:50, said:

I understand that point of view too, and actually, I bought two of them almost immediately after downloading the game. Only afterwards did I learn that it's not considered "Kosher" to do so. Aside from that, the Tier 8 S1 is excellent for overwatch/sniping. I have the camo rating so high that I'm nearly always the last Tank killed, and the gun hits hard enough, and at long enough range, to make it a definite asset to the team.

But see here is the point.  If you "camp base" even in a sniper like the S1, most of the damage you are getting is "loser damage".  Doesnt mean you lost the match, just means the match was probably already decided by the time tanks got to where you could shoot them.  Therefore any damage you did was irrelevant to the outcome of the game. I know some say the game is "easy" but in reality, it isn't.  There is simply no way at that level of battles that you even understand battles at Tier 5, much less Tier 8.  Not only is that evident from your stats, but comments like how you play the Strv m/42-57.  That tank is not best used as a sniper. 

So I am just addressing the comments issue.  If you play T4 & T5, I think you will learn the game better and there will be less people sending you hate mail for poor play.   

If you want to get better, I really think you should go up the heavy line to the KV1.  The game will slow down and you can make more mistakes without dieing.  You can learn to shoot other's weak spots while hiding your own.  It is a great tank armor wise, and if you learn to angle properly, it can be amazing.  Due to its speed, you are unlikely to overextend as much too.  I'd play that tank until you have a thousand or so games in it.

Lots of resources here and on youtube/twitch.

I know some will "poo poo" this idea, but I would get a modpack with XVM like Aslains.  You can then see who the better players are and watch where they go and how they play certain tanks that you are playing.  

Feel free to ask for help, upload replays, etc.

The people who come in here thinking stats dont matter, the game is rigged, etc., usually get crapped on.   People who come here hat in hand asking how to get better usually get helped.

tow2_b #11 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 03:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19638 battles

No one can stop you from buying & playing higher tier premium tanks, but I will say that it's pretty frustrating having them on my team and they clearly don't know what to do to be effective in higher tier battles. It's a good thing if your premium purchases are geared towards tank types that you do better at (e.g. sniping), but if you still don't know maps, enemy tanks/weakspots and all the other stuff that you need at higher tiers then it's not helping much.

I've always heard (and can mostly agree with ) the notion that you should play tiers until you're doing your tank's HP in damage fairly consistently, then move up a tier and repeat. If you can't manage that - for any of the many reasons that could be the cause - then stay lower and learn to battle better to improve. Not sure it's really about winrate, because that doesn't always indicate your performance. If you aren't causing your share of damage (and the right kind of damage, as Rum says above), that's a problem for the team... There are lots of lower tier premiums you can still buy & use and do well in if that's what you want to do!

Edited by tow2_b, Jan 04 2018 - 03:18.

WangOnTheLoose #12 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 07:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 25393 battles
  • [TG] TG

View PostChaosKampf, on Jan 03 2018 - 18:53, said:

I get messages regularly both during, and after battles, all but one of which so far, has been someone informing me of how "useless" I am, in varying degrees of inventive insults and colorful language (many with a disturbing lack of language or spelling skills). Regardless, they are nearly always in response to my playing style.

I'm not good at "Brawling" no matter what Tank I use, and I know it, just like I know that I can't sing, so I don't do Karaoke. So instead of rushing off to get myself killed asap, I have set most of my Tanks up as best I can to serve in either an Overwatch, or a Sniping role.

When using Tanks that aren't good for a sniping role, I still tend to only advance about 1/4 of the map, in the center-line. I watch the center from cover (usually alone), and once I see that there are no immediate threats, and the flanks appear to be holding, I will attempt to circle from the middle, to a position behind the weaker of my teams flanks.  Otherwise, if I see that a Flank defense has collapsed, or that it's going to collapse soon and I know I can't help the situation, I retreat to a position in which I can attempt to protect the Arty's and the Base both. Sometimes other players join me in an overwatch position when a flank collapses, but most of the time they just rush off towards an already collapsed flank and get vaporized.

I treat the mini-map kind of like a chess board, and I prefer to watch things as they unfold. I am assuming that most of the "Good" players do the same. I'm not one of the "Good" players, but I still try to play the game with patience and strategy. If I see a flank collapse, and think that I can stop it, or at least make a useful difference, I will advance to a sniping position as soon as the first signs of failure start to appear. Otherwise, when 10 or 12 of the players immediately rush off to one side of the map, which all of you know happens entirely too often, I stick with my chosen role in the game.

So tell me, I can take criticism... According to the overall mentality of the game, am I in the wrong by playing this way? Or in other words, regardless of what I think is good strategy, is that simply not acceptable within the culture of this game?

Sean

So lets take an honest look at your stats, 45.91% win rate and you average 196 damage per game.  The bottom line is that you are a terrible player so whatever you are doing is either wrong, not executed correctly, or a combination of both.  Its sort of hard to tell you what is going on without replays but to me it sounds like you aren't doing anything to help your team until the game is already decided and you basically get rolled up by multiple enemies getting off 2-3 shots.

Early damage is a big deal in winning in this game as getting guns out of the game early significantly increases your chance of winning and along the same line keeping guns out of the game until too late will drastically increase your teams chance of winning.  Average server win rate is around 49% and I believe it is actually higher for active players so when  you compare that to your win rate you are performing pretty poorly.

As others have already told you it might be best to stick around Tier V or so until you get comfortable with the game mechanics and the maps.  Personally don't see anything wrong with new players buying Tier VIII premiums but if it is causing you frustration there is also nothing wrong with keeping them in the garage until you feel better playing them.  On a side note brawling in the Patton KR is a terrible idea..... it has no armor worth speaking of.

Some good tanks to learn in are the following:

Heavy tank KV-1

Medium Tank M4 Sherman and the T-34

Turreted TD T67

Casemate TD StuG IIIG or the SU-85

Light Tank Chaffee

These tanks are all Tier V and will do a pretty good job teaching you the basics of the different types of tanks you are going to want to play as you go forward in the game.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Jan 04 2018 - 07:59.

g4143 #13 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 12:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9198 battles

View PostChaosKampf, on Jan 04 2018 - 00:53, said:

Sean

Useless basically translates to - you weren’t supporting my style or tactics in the game. At least that's the context which I use useless.

If you arn't good at brawling then you should explore the supporting roles. You could play your tank as a harasser. Someone who sneaks around flanking and taking pot shots at the enemy, someone who keeps the enemy off guard by landing shots from odd or different angles/approaches. The harasser is the single most despised tank on the field. One good harasser can throw an entire enemy push into chaos.

Edited by g4143, Jan 04 2018 - 12:37.

3nr0n #14 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 14:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16534 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

Back when I bought my first premi tank (T34) I was pretty good in Tier V, looked at the armor stats on the T34 and thought WOW I can pwn with this one.  Well after playing it a few times I realized that when you get to the higher tiers things are a lot different.

I have the Strv m/42-57 Alt A.2 also and yes it is good for sniping but you still need to run with other medium tanks holding in a position that you can take shots but adsorbing all the damage.  Get in the wolfpack and become a wolf don't be the lone wolf either.

Use the mini map look at where other team members are, lean the maps there are sweet spots on all the maps where you can take the sniper shot, where you can look thru that hole in the wall and fire without exposing yourself.  Don't be afraid or retreating to obtain a new position. 

If you are one of the first to die then watch the battle pick out someone who has gotten a kill or a bunch of damage and see how they play the match.

Last but not least platoon with others at least you know that theoretically you can depend on one player.  

ChaosKampf #15 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 14:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View PostWangOnTheLoose, on Jan 04 2018 - 00:53, said:

Early damage is a big deal in winning in this game as getting guns out of the game early significantly increases your chance of winning and along the same line keeping guns out of the game until too late will drastically increase your teams chance of winning.  Average server win rate is around 49% and I believe it is actually higher for active players so when  you compare that to your win rate you are performing pretty poorly.

Then it sounds like I should immediately advance to the center 1/3 of the map with both my Stug III, and the S1, because they're the best two Snipers I have. I can generally take, and make shots at extreme distances compared to everything else I have, and by staying in the central area of the map, but not advancing past the halfway point, I can still fall back pretty quickly (especially with the S1) to defend the Base and Arty.

Based on my preferred play-style, is this what you're getting at?

I don't know how much the "Medals" actually relate to gameplay, but I can get away with setting-up in minimal cover with the S1 pretty easily, as long as I take out the Scouts before they spot me for Arty, because of its armor. In 146 games played, the S1 has gotten me Fire for Effect 35x, Sharpshooter 14x, Master Gunner 8x, along with Steel Wall, Shell Proof, Spotter, and a few others.

As far as the Strv m/42-57 Alt A.2 not being a good Sniper, it seems to be better than any other turreted Tank I've played so far. Out of 40 games, it's got Sharpshooter 10x, Master Gunner 7x, and Fire for Effect 9x. With my apparently poor choice of strategy, it seems like the Tank is doing the work more than my playing skills are.

I see the point that all of you are making as well, in that concentrating on taking out as many Tanks as possible would help the Team more than just playing Overwatch does. I'll adjust my gameplay strategy and see if that gets me less PO'd messages from other players. I'll just have to find a balance between extending further afield, but staying close enough to provide overwatch as quickly as possible.

Lowkust_Lure #16 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 15:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3766 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

To the OP. Im sorry your experiencing this as a new player, i as you experienced that to a very severe degree within my first 1,500 battles. I learned to ignore it and just right click and add to blacklist 99% of these illiterate trolls.. 

Unfortunately, the 3 people that started with me have since stopped playing because the comments were getting out of hand and very toxic & vulgar. Its quite sad that new players are subjected to this.. I still say ignore them and always have fun tanking, win or loss....  There is an abundance of great help threads and videos out there to help in getting good, trust me im starting to get better my self.. :)

Edited by Lowkust_Lure, Jan 04 2018 - 15:45.

dunniteowl #17 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 15:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 20615 battles

If you are just having a great time and these folks' comments are interrupting that, then I suggest you turn chat off.  If you are here on the forums, though, I imagine you might be, at least subconsciously, wondering if there might be a way to get better at playing.

If that might be the case then I would offer you this:

Crew -- Global Wiki

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki

and you might also wish to go through some of these for specifics...

Lert's Collection of Guides

Also, it's good that you know your limitations and weaknesses.  Allow me to ask you this:  Would you LIKE to be able to sing and simply cannot through, say, a tuneless ear or through lack of practice and training?  The point I am making is that a LOT of things that people are bad at, they are bad at simply through lack of actually practicing.

People say all the time, "Oh, I'm horrible with names," and they know this, and the only real reason they are horrible with names is that they either never really got someone's name properly to begin with or that they forgot and were too embarrassed to ask.  That's a psychologically proven set of facts based on many different studies of memory and recall.

I am not great at brawling.  When I first started I was awful at aggressive play.  I am a passive player by nature -- my nature says, "Hey, I don't want to hurt anyone," so I am not that aggressive, even in my play.  I learned to change that with practice in this game, because passive play is a recipe for a lot of losing, a lot of dying and a lot of unfun, short games.  I know, because when I first started playing, that was how I was receiving my 'reward' for my play style.  Just like you are.

Read those things I provided.  Get uncomfortable and out of your comfort zone and don't adapt the game to you -- adapt you to the game.  You can continue your current methodology, though I doubt it will improve your situation EVER in this game.  My experience and the experiences of many others say, "Not bloody likely, mate."

Get out of your comfort zone, you can't damage your stats at this point anyway, and learn how to do new things, play a new way and get familiar with the rules up there in those Global Wiki links.  You don't go playing football without knowing the rules, do you?  You don't just open up the board game of Stratego and just push the pieces around how you like, right?  No.  You learn the rules and then you play.

Here, it's very different.  Many have no idea what the rules actually are.  Many only learn a few rules and think they have it good.  Others are always learning and improving and realize there's always something else to work on.

It's up to you which one of those loose categories of people you fall into.  It won't affect me one way or the other, because I choose to be in the last group and everyone else is free to choose.  Where you wish to be is up to you.

The links are a path if you choose to follow them.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Nunya_000 #18 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 16:38

Major

• Players
  • 20974 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostChaosKampf, on Jan 03 2018 - 15:53, said:

Sean

1. Ignore the negative comments.  This is the internet, and there is always some "child" that feels the need to tear others down in order to make them feel better about themselves.

2. While you are "watching" the battle unfold, are you getting shots in and doing damage?  I'm not talking about near the end of the battle when it is almost over and the flanks are falling.  You need to be getting hits/damage in throughout the whole battle.  If you are not, then you are not helping your team and are in fact hurting them, because they are a tank down.  It is ok to take up the second line (as long as you are in a tank that is good for second line sniping), but you must find a position where you can get shots in throughout the whole battle.

Chalybos #19 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 18:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22596 battles

You can check your stats here, and sort them according to whichever criteria you're looking for.  https://clantools.us...s?id=1028225445

Use it to see where you are compared to the average in your tanks, what type of tank suits you best.

I also like this one, to see how things played out over the course of an evening>  http://na.wotzilla.c...ails/ChaosKampf

The fact that you're asking for suggestions shows that you're looking to build on your strengths, and at least be aware of your weaknesses.  You're ahead of the pack for most people who need help just by being aware that you need help, rather than blaming the game or crying "rigged!"  But please, do your learning in the lower tiers (as in tier 6 or under).  First, it's cheaper.  Second, it's going to have less of an impact on someone else's game if you're bottom tier and learning than if you're top tier and learning.  

ChaosKampf #20 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 19:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3680 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View PostNunya_000, on Jan 04 2018 - 09:38, said:

While you are "watching" the battle unfold, are you getting shots in and doing damage?  I'm not talking about near the end of the battle when it is almost over and the flanks are falling.  You need to be getting hits/damage in throughout the whole battle.

In most games that I play strictly as overwatch/sniper, yes, especially with the S1 and good Scouts. And I do move around quite a bit to get shots, but without getting far enough from the Arty/Base that I can't get back quick enough to try to stop a scout or TD that slipped through and popped up out of nowhere.

And as far as the trolling and negative comments go, It's not that I have a problem ignoring them, or even that it bothers me. The reason I finally made a Post about it is because it happens enough that I was beginning to wonder if some of those trolls had good reason to bash me. I'm enough of a team-player that I don't want to negatively affect gameplay, but at the same time, I don't understand the "mentality/strategy" of everybody taking off and leaving the base and artillery unsupported.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users