First model tank!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tower1056 #1 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 04:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 8933 battles

I think models go here .w. I think.

A few years ago, I started the process of building the Airfix 1/76 scale M3 Lee/Grant, then promptly realized that it was super small, the plastic was cheap, the glue didn't work, and stuff had broken. Soo I threw it all away in the closet of infinite storage and junk for a few years.

After moving homes and two-ish years later, I somehow (miraculously) still had all the cobbled together pieces, complete, in a red, open topped ramen box.

Well I say complete. I think one of the bogie wheels went under the washing machine or something...

Anyways, with all the pieces together and a few days later, I'm adding in copious amounts of tacky glue to try to get stuff back together. I even tried plastic cement, which, as it turns out, isn't as strong as concrete. Then proceeded to throw on some paint too. And water decals.

And this is the result! Is it messy? Yep. Does it suck? Probably. Am I proud of it though, that I finally completed it? Somehow, yea.

Moral of the story: Model kits are super hard. Never give up on something, no matter how difficult it may be.

Now... where's that M48A2 I got for Christmas last year...

Attached Files

• Attached File   IMG_5665.JPG   74.98K
  • Attached File   IMG_5667.JPG   85.71K
  • Attached File   IMG_5671.JPG   91.12K

jt1alta #2 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 04:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 36620 battles

Back in the day,1:76 was a good size for large area dioramas,as it was so close to Ho scale.

My friend and I would make war movies with an 8mm camera.

Spend a week, making the set and blow it up, in twenty seconds.

What I remember most was idler wheels getting glued to everywhere but where they belonged.(tip of finger,side of tweezers,floor and elbow)

Good job and good luck!

Buttknuckle #3 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 05:11

Major

• Players
  • 46459 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

View Postjt1alta, on Jan 04 2018 - 03:51, said:

Back in the day,1:76 was a good size for large area dioramas,as it was so close to Ho scale.

My friend and I would make war movies with an 8mm camera.

Spend a week, making the set and blow it up, in twenty seconds.

What I remember most was idler wheels getting glued to everywhere but where they belonged.(tip of finger,side of tweezers,floor and elbow)

Good job and good luck!

Glad to see i wasnt the only one to do this. Used to purposely build models around firecrackers so they were easier to blow up.

Arty_Did_Nothing_Wrong #4 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 06:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

View Postjt1alta, on Jan 03 2018 - 22:51, said:

What I remember most was idler wheels getting glued to everywhere but where they belonged... elbow

There's a story behind this, I just know it...

jt1alta #5 Posted Jan 04 2018 - 06:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 36620 battles

View PostArty_Did_Nothing_Wrong, on Jan 03 2018 - 21:05, said:

There's a story behind this, I just know it...

Well, it was before they put mustard oil in the glue and long hours of assembly....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users