Penetration Calculator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

VampireFE #1 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 12:11

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hello. I made this calculator that uses THIS to calculate penetration chances of different tanks/guns.

Posted Image
You can download it here: Penetration Calculator
Left click to set shooting origin, right click to set shooting direction. To set the gun, first choose the tank, then select its weapon and then click "Set Shooting gun". Use the right side image to set the armor slope. There are some websites out there that have technical data of some tanks, for example: MAUS

I really would like some feedback on how accurate this is.

Thanks. :)

MrMarbIes #2 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 12:17

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just wondering, if this is in 2D then how does it take into account the armor slope?

VampireFE #3 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 12:22

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostColin_S, on Aug 30 2011 - 12:17, said:

Just wondering, if this is in 2D then how does it take into account the armor slope?

That's what the right side image is for - you set the slope yourself. There is no way for me to do it automatically, since i don't have the 3D hit boxes of tanks nor one source of information of tank slopes.

Axiom2 #4 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 12:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Did you take into consideration that
- for angles smaller than 20 degrees it automatically bounces?
- if the shell caliber is three times larger than the armor thickness, it bounces at an angle of 8 degrees or smaller?

Other than that, it looks pretty dang complete. Seems like a nice toy for people into the numbers instead of intuition :Smile_honoring:

VampireFE #5 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 12:35

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAxiom2, on Aug 30 2011 - 12:26, said:

Did you take into consideration that
- for angles smaller than 20 degrees it automatically bounces?
- if the shell caliber is three times larger than the armor thickness, it bounces at an angle of 8 degrees or smaller?

Other than that, it looks pretty dang complete. Seems like a nice toy for people into the numbers instead of intuition :Smile_honoring:

The point about caliber being 3x greater is not included in the calculator. I probably should, since it is not hard to, but i very much doubt that this calculator is useful to test whether maus can penetrate loltraktor :D

But about the 20 degrees - I'm still unsure about that one. According to the wiki page it is 10 degrees (+10 normalization), when it bounces off and not just 20. If you look at the examples - all of them check the angle of impact and compare it to 10 degrees: "Check for ricochet. You are at more than an 10 degree attack angle. No ricochet."

Can someone clear this up for me? Should I be comparing it to 20 or 10 degrees when the impact occurs (atm i compare to 10).

Axiom2 #6 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 10:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Upon checking again, I think I misread/misunderstood. I believe it should indeed be 10 degrees, as it says there.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make concerned the presence of the actual fact of that angle blablabla, not so much about the size of the angle. Good to hear it's in there.