CPU overheating

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Sleek34 #1 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:10

Private

• Players
  • 2542 battles
  • [FURST] FURST

Yeah another topic about this, none of the others seemed to have a working solution.

World of Tanks and Armored Warfare are basically the only two games that do this for me. I used to run both find with near maxed settings with my old GTX 770 but since I upgraded to the GTX 1080 I have gotten nothing but issues and often run with even lower settings for WoT and AW than with the 770. I have tried replacing the thermal paste and cleaning out the pc already as well as the upgraded coolers mentioned before. Moved the PC to an relatively open space the closest wall being at least a foot from it. Another strange thing is my temps usually seem fine around 75C at most during a match. However the exhaust air definitely feels a bit warmer than normal after it emergency restarts. I have run other games for many hours past the 90C mark so I am unsure why WoT triggers this. 

Relevant Specs:

Tower: HAF 932 with stock fans

CPU: i7-4770K with aftermarket CM MasterAir 4 coolers in push and pull configuration.

GPU: GTX 1080

Kamahl1234 #2 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:23

Major

• Players
  • 18150 battles
  • [ARSON] ARSON

Is the cooler actually plugged in?

As your system shouldn't be shutting down to protect itself from thermals unless there's a cooling issue or you've got a silly OC setting used. This usually only occurs when you have no actual air movement on the heatsink or you've got a bad OC setup. 

mlinke #3 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48041 battles
open a case, take fan off cooler, vacuum dust of hit sink, put back together

Edited by mlinke, Jan 07 2018 - 01:35.

Sleek34 #4 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:34

Private

• Players
  • 2542 battles
  • [FURST] FURST

View PostKamahl1234, on Jan 07 2018 - 01:23, said:

Is the cooler actually plugged in?

As your system shouldn't be shutting down to protect itself from thermals unless there's a cooling issue or you've got a silly OC setting used. This usually only occurs when you have no actual air movement on the heatsink or you've got a bad OC setup. 

I can definitely hear them running, 
Also another bit of relevant info now that you mentioned it is I am not running any overclocks. 

xMiracle45 #5 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 17655 battles
  • [BOND] BOND
Check to make sure you have POSITIVE air pressure inside your case. Meaning you have more air moving into than out of your tower. When you replaced the thermal paste did you make sure to clean both the CPU and the contact surface of the cooler with Isopropyl alcohol (sometimes you can get a bit of dust stuck in there).

scharnhorst310 #6 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 24440 battles

View PostSleek34, on Jan 06 2018 - 16:10, said:

Yeah another topic about this, none of the others seemed to have a working solution.

World of Tanks and Armored Warfare are basically the only two games that do this for me. I used to run both find with near maxed settings with my old GTX 770 but since I upgraded to the GTX 1080 I have gotten nothing but issues and often run with even lower settings for WoT and AW than with the 770. I have tried replacing the thermal paste and cleaning out the pc already as well as the upgraded coolers mentioned before. Moved the PC to an relatively open space the closest wall being at least a foot from it. Another strange thing is my temps usually seem fine around 75C at most during a match. However the exhaust air definitely feels a bit warmer than normal after it emergency restarts. I have run other games for many hours past the 90C mark so I am unsure why WoT triggers this. 

Relevant Specs:

CPU: i7-4770K with aftermarket CM MasterAir 4 coolers in push and pull configuration.

how do you know its overheating that is causing the comp to turn off? I forget the exact temp but I believe the thermal threshold is like 110c, have you seen it get to that? This seems more like a PSU issue, either that or your cpu cooler isn't properly seated. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, Jan 07 2018 - 01:47.

Joliet_Jake_Blues #7 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3369 battles
OP, only saying this as a precaution since you sound tech savvy, how much paste did you use? Too much is a bad thing. Again, I am just trying to help, and it sounds like you know what you are doing, but if you did every thing right, could be pointing to a bad card.

Zippit #8 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:54

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17300 battles
Upgrading from the GTX770 to the GTX1080 marks an issue, your PSU may not be up to the task, the GTX1080 may be drawing too much for it, causing it to shut down to save your computer, have you tried running VSYNC @ 60FPS, or forcing lower FPS to reduce strain on the PSU?

rich73 #9 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 02:27

Major

• Players
  • 45690 battles
63 deg max with msi RX 480 twin frozen.

HOTA_CHATON #10 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 02:38

Major

• Players
  • 12287 battles
  • [5160] 5160

View PostJoliet_Jake_Blues, on Jan 06 2018 - 18:49, said:

OP, only saying this as a precaution since you sound tech savvy, how much paste did you use? Too much is a bad thing. Again, I am just trying to help, and it sounds like you know what you are doing, but if you did every thing right, could be pointing to a bad card.

​Actually latest test data is begging to show that not enough paste is the worst thing for a CPU and that too much really doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to.  I just redid my CPU and I surprised to find that my CPU fan company put way to much on there and it was sub-par in quality.  I replaced it with Arctic .5 and it's running 3 degrees cooler now.

HOTA_CHATON #11 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 02:40

Major

• Players
  • 12287 battles
  • [5160] 5160

View PostSleek34, on Jan 06 2018 - 18:10, said:

Relevant Specs:

​Dude, it may actually be your graphics card and not your CPU.  If you don't already have it, get MSI Afterburner and run your system and see what is actually overheating.  OR even MSI Kombuster.

Pipinghot #12 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 02:55

Major

• Players
  • 25838 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSleek34, on Jan 06 2018 - 19:10, said:

It's extremely unlikely that WoT is the cause of your problem, it's basically a proprietary web browser engine that can only be used for WoT.

The single most important rule when troubleshooting computer problems is: "Whatever you changed is the cause of your problems". Since you changed graphics cards you should be looking at any problems that can be caused by making hardware changes.

* A more powerful graphics card can put extra strain on your power supply, which could cause secondary problems like the issues you've described.

* Or it could be a driver issue with your specific combination of graphics card and driver. The graphics card companies like to publish their drivers in a "one size fits all" package, and it's not unusual for the most recent version of a drivers package to cause problems with the right combination of hardware.

* If the new card is a different size from the old card it can change the air flow inside of your case which could cause your CPU to run hotter, you might be able to get better results by simply moving your card into a different slot.

Whatever the answer is, it's not WOT's fault, the true answer is related to upgrading/installing the new graphics card, that's where you want to focus your troubleshooting.

stalkervision #13 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 03:22

Major

• Players
  • 52259 battles
I just took off the side panel from my case, mounted a cheap furnace filter on the case and bought a 15 dollar Walmart fan and set it up right next to the case to max out air flow. My fans hardly turn on anymore,I get very ittle dust build up and I can heavily overclock my graphics card. Sometimes ghetto engineering solutions works best. :teethhappy:

Sleek34 #14 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 05:00

Private

• Players
  • 2542 battles
  • [FURST] FURST

Okay so I highly doubt power is the issue, I currently have an Corsair HX850i. 
I am not actually that tech saavy but there should be a mostly right amount of thermal paste, but I did follow "it's better to have too much than too little". Did my research on that for sure though. I am running MSI with RivaTuner for the overlay and the 1080 rarely goes above 60C for most games. My main worry is the increased size of the 770 has ruined the airflow of the PC, not sure how I can measure that to be honest. Currently I just reinstalled the GTX 770 to see if I still run into the shutdowns. I'll go report any shutdowns happening and in that case time to get a whole new motherboard/cpu/ram set. 
It is strange I only have issues with WoT and a few other games with older engines (World in Conflict being another making shutdowns during cutscenes. I fixed this on that game by setting fan speed to 100% all the time using SpeedFan instead of automatic adjustment). Armored Warfare is the only more recent game that I seem to have issues with. 

It is strange I can run much newer games like NFS Payback and Ghost Recon: Wildlands quite well without heating issues, though NFS Payback is quite toasty at 90C-100C. 

Edited by Sleek34, Jan 07 2018 - 05:01.

scharnhorst310 #15 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 05:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 24440 battles

View PostSleek34, on Jan 06 2018 - 20:00, said:

Okay so I highly doubt power is the issue, I currently have an Corsair HX850i. 
I am not actually that tech saavy but there should be a mostly right amount of thermal paste, but I did follow "it's better to have too much than too little". Did my research on that for sure though. I am running MSI with RivaTuner for the overlay and the 1080 rarely goes above 60C for most games. My main worry is the increased size of the 770 has ruined the airflow of the PC, not sure how I can measure that to be honest. Currently I just reinstalled the GTX 770 to see if I still run into the shutdowns. I'll go report any shutdowns happening and in that case time to get a whole new motherboard/cpu/ram set. 
It is strange I only have issues with WoT and a few other games with older engines (World in Conflict being another making shutdowns during cutscenes. I fixed this on that game by setting fan speed to 100% all the time using SpeedFan instead of automatic adjustment). Armored Warfare is the only more recent game that I seem to have issues with. 

It is strange I can run much newer games like NFS Payback and Ghost Recon: Wildlands quite well without heating issues, though NFS Payback is quite toasty at 90C-100C. 

You keep going back and forth between graphics card temp, and cpu. Which one is the problem, and what is your computer doing that you feel it reaches a critical temperature? 

edit: also saying what psu you have isn't evidence at all that it isn't failing. They all can fail, regardless how great you think it may be... duds happen. That's why they have warranties. Hopefully it isn't though. 

Edited by scharnhorst310, Jan 07 2018 - 05:32.

Sleek34 #16 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 05:52

Private

• Players
  • 2542 battles
  • [FURST] FURST

Volts definitely seem fine from the bit I have analyzed. 
And honestly all I can tell about the temps spiking is some old thread about how the game hates multicore use. 
http://forum.worldof...s-my-cpu-a-lot/

Perhaps I am reading my data wrong, as I am only semi-tech saavy. One of the Temp readings on hwinfo is much higher than the others, which seems to reflect on how WoT only utilizes some of the cores. Note screenshot below is after I reinstalled the GTX770. 

EDIT: So with furher monitoring, no overheating with my 770 installed but the 770 is at a near constant 100% usage while the CPU is barely over 20%. With the 1080 it was basically the opposite. I can also run WoT maxed with the 770, dare not touch max settings with the 1080. 

Edited by Sleek34, Jan 07 2018 - 08:53.

scharnhorst310 #17 Posted Jan 07 2018 - 19:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 24440 battles
Have you tried completely uninstalled, then reinstalling the drivers with the 1080 installed? If your CPU is reaching that temp, and it isn't overclocked, and with that cooler... i can basically guarantee you have an issue with the cooler and cpu. You could run a case with zero fans in it, and that cpu cooler would keep temps below that level. I'd bet you either have the cpu cooler fans reversed (one blowing out, the other blowing in) or you have not properly seated the cooler to CPU. If any side is not properly secured to the cpu and making good contact this will happen. I've done this long enough to have done it before and results were high temps and eventually comp shutoff. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users