• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

ChaosKampf #61 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 18:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3674 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View Post3nr0n, on Jan 10 2018 - 21:53, said:

Now if you want to shoot a pistol then OLNY thing I will have is the M1911A1 .45ACP

I like 1911's as well as anybody, but my EDC (in the winter) is an Israeli Gov. issue Jericho. Little bit fatter than a 1911, but I'll take the trade-off to get the 18 rounds of Winchester PDX-1 ammo, vs worrying about carrying an extra clip or two.

Wanted one of the "real" Jericho's for years, but the vast majority imported and sold commercially had a slide-mounted safety/de-cocker, and standard rifling. Also the stupid "Baby Eagle" that a couple of the importers decided to stamp on the side of the slide in huge letters, even though the two guns have virtually nothing in common other than being manufactured by IMI.

Apparently Israel finally decided to upgrade their Gov. issued weapons a couple years ago, because the original batch of guns started showing up as surplus on the Auction sites all of a sudden. I was finally able to get the real thing, so I jumped on it. Frame mounted safety like a 1911 instead of de-cocker, polygonal rifling, converted to single-action by the Israeli armorers, and no gaudy Americanized name plastered all over the side of it.

(In the summer when I have less clothes to hide an EDC, I carry a Bulgarian Makarov with Hornady Critical Defense ammo)

ChaosKampf #62 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 19:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3674 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

Also, Howa should be considered as well, especially when looking at accuracy and quality without the premium cost. Howa made rifles for Weatherby, S&W, and Mossberg for years, but now they're focusing on their own line. The action is based on one of Sako's designs (Vixen maybe?), their new adjustable-trigger design is fantastic, and the accuracy of the heavy barreled versions will hang with any of the big name rifles, especially if you take the time to work-up handloads for the gun.

I did replace the stock on my .308 Hvy BBL (also avlb in .223) with a Bell & Carlson "Medalist" however, but I bought mine before they started offering the Stock options they have now. Shoots most factory ammo around .75 MOA off the Bench, but with match bullets and a good handload, it drops to 1/2 MOA. Mine seems to prefer heavier bullets, and using 180gr bullets, i'm easily shooting .375 MOA and better, with the best group so far being .250 MOA (shot by my brother).

Dirizon #63 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 27277 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
When l say .223, I largely mean 5.56 too. The bullets are largely synonymous 

ChaosKampf #64 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 17:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3674 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

View PostDirizon, on Jan 11 2018 - 18:32, said:

When l say .223, I largely mean 5.56 too. The bullets are largely synonymous 

With modern commercial rifles, yes. Not so much with the early rifles chambered for .223, because of the different tolerances and chamber pressures between .223 and 5.56. Most modern rifles will be marked on the barrel with both designations, just like my Howa says both .308, and 7.62x51 NATO.

That sometimes is an issue however, depending on what you intend to do with the rifle. When chambered for both, for example, it is slightly detrimental for use as a dedicated Bench Rest rifle because of the looser tolerances in the chamber. Isn't much of an issue with the Howa, other than when you are handloading and trying to seat the bullet at a certain distance from the rifling, because when chambered for both, the amount of free-bore is greater. With some of the lighter, and therefore shorter bullets, you often can't seat the bullet far enough out to get the desired distance from the rifling, which is part of the reason why 180gr bullets work best in mine, vs 168gr bullets.

For what you are wanting to do though, it should make no noticeable difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users