• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

madgiecool #1 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 14:54

Major

• Players
  • 49882 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

Hi All,

I'm posting this here, because at all tiers and in (almost) every game there will be someone telling you how to play your tank and what you should do.

IMHO this is a big part of the game.  It's a team game and tanks should be played within certain guidelines so the team can benefit.  E.g Placing the well armoured hvy at the front, and the accurate sniper tanks nearer the back, etc etc I sure you all know this.

So you (the player) have 3 choices:

1.  Follow instructions (even if this gets you killed, you will not be tanked for your time/effort)

2.  Do nothing               (this may get you Team killed and possible chat abuse)

3.  Do the opposite       (fun as heck -  well worth it for the lols)

Here's an example that happened earlier tonight.   I got asked to scout field as I was in a light tank.  I was happy to help even thou it meant leaving one flank to go to the other.  The problem occurred a moment later as I observed the player asking for spotting help was a Mauschen trying to hide in the middle of a flat field.  Now the problem here was a Mauschen wasn't playing his tank properly.  If I had scouted field for him, so he could shoot his attackers, he would still be lit and therefor still a target for all arty shells.  If I scouted the way he wanted me to, I would be receiving hits as well and therefor sacrificing my HP so he could farm one or 2 more shots onto his attackers.

I believe I took the smarter choice. 

I saw where the TD's had setup with the bushes, scouted forward of that and the TD's were able to be a more constant effective fire.  they didn't get lit and that equals free damage dealt for the team.  Normally damage is traded and the tank with the best armour/ammo/aim/RNG wins.

Here's the point of the post.

As a player, there will be times will other players are typing verbal insults.  The Mauschen stuffed up, he could have gone with the other hvys into the town on the other flank.  Hvys do better at peek-a-boom in towns, rather than some sort of field runner.  I'm not going to criticize the Mauschern, his tank and he gets to pay his repair bill.  Just as it is your tank and your repair bill.

Just for the fun of it.  I did see in his player profile he was not a light tank player.  So (for example) how can someone who doesn't play light tanks tell me how I should play them and where to go on different maps?  Of course the opposite is also true and being told to defend base, or move up is exactly what needs to be done. 

Some of the biggest arguments are over the simple things, and it's up to you the player to choose how to respond.

Most common examples: 

1.  Cap vs Kill?   Some players want to kill everything, while others will want to cap and win

2.  Camp or flank?   Set the ambush or take the initiative and risk entering their ambush 

3.  Is a Zebra a white horse with black stripes or a black horse with white stripes.

Sorry for the long post.  I've been playing WoT for a little bit and felt like giving a bit back, and hopefully empower the newer players to make some decisions.

TL;DR

1.  Its your game and your repair bill, so play the game how you think it needs to be played.

2.  It's also a team game (ROFL - small joke there) and like any team sport there are expectations on how the objectives can be completed and this will cause tension.

3.  Good luck on filtering out the good advice and the meh advice from players who don't know. 

T2Easy4ME #2 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 14:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 117 battles
  • [7-TH] 7-TH
So... git gud? 

Markd73 #3 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:00

Major

• Players
  • 29094 battles

You missed an option

4) Take bits of what they tell you, test them and then see if they work for your overall play style.

Blackstone #4 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12425 battles
  • [-AK-] -AK-

Yeah, I've seen this alot.

EX: last night, I saw a T29 try to HIDE in a bush next to a Hellcat.

That's like an elephant trying to hide behind a palm leaf.

I posted in chat that we need him down where the other heavies are. We need his gun.

I was either ignored or he had chat off.

We lost the match.

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

I chock it up to being a x3 weekend. That's when the window-lickers show up.

4TheBox #5 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25132 battles

My TL;DR

4. Chat is off

Edited by 4TheBox, Jan 08 2018 - 15:07.

madgiecool #6 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:06

Major

• Players
  • 49882 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

View PostMarkd73, on Jan 09 2018 - 02:00, said:

You missed an option

4) Take bits of what they tell you, test them and then see if they work for your overall play style.

Thanks

As a generalization, players are very bad at giving advice in game.  In game it's usually a short instructions of "go here", or "stop camping".  It's when the game is over I like to message and ask for clarification.  Reply's swing form very helpful to very rude.    

_Tsavo #7 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:09

Major

• Players
  • 39251 battles

My attitude in pubs is this: I know what I'm doing better than you in regards to me, my tank, and my goal to win the match.  Most "orders" given out by randoms are ignored, unless they're offering to help.

I guess, in part, that this falls in line with my rule #1 in pubs: Never put yourself into a position where your immediate success depends on a random pubbie being aware of your actions and acting upon them.

Now, if someone says "Hey, Tsavo, I could use some spotting over in this area"  or "I'm with you if you push that flank" I'm probably going to work with that fella as they've demonstrated awareness and civility.  Without communication, I expect nothing from random pubbies.  If they communicate nicely, I'll work with them.  If they give orders, I simply ignore it.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #8 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:11

Major

• Players
  • 69145 battles

I always laugh when somebody types something like "Heavies, please go to the city".

Also, I really hate those dead guys who try to tell me how to play my tank. You are dead buddy, go and play your next game.

Coffee_ #9 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42922 battles
I usually only comment on some one if its totally wrong what they are doing.
Seeing meds or lights camping with TDs and doing NO spotting for those TDs or Arty usually triggers me.

YANKEE137 #10 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7766 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Shut up and drive. My feeling.

DaDoomTurtle #11 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 15:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4716 battles
LOL I feel you. Scouts are often bullied around and told where to go. Most of the time, it's my ELC that's targeted. Half of them have never touched an ELC and most them aren't good light tank players. I'm not that good of a player but I learn to just not care. Consider their advice, decide the best approach, and if they are being a jerk about it, just don't care. I'd love to see some of them try to play the AMX ELC bis. Just keep calm and tank on.

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:02

Major

• Players
  • 14334 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

the_dude_76 #13 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:08

Captain

• Players
  • 31115 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostT2Easy4ME, on Jan 08 2018 - 13:59, said:

So... git gud? 

LOL!! Says the guy who's so embarrassed by his stats that he posts under an alt account... Too funny!

Worland #14 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 16671 battles
I prefer the turn off chat option.

DaDoomTurtle #15 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4716 battles

View PostWorland, on Jan 08 2018 - 10:18, said:

I prefer the turn off chat option.

I choose to keep chat on and just deal with it. I generally try to keep it clean and classy, but I am guilty of shaming players at times. Chat can be helpful in meeting new friends and helping coordinate. Coordination can save a game. However, most of the time, you have to play as a one-tank team. 

DieselDog79 #16 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:24

Captain

• Players
  • 29574 battles
  • [_FAM_] _FAM_
I had a game today on Siegfried Line.   Was in a T-54 in the city.  A TD keeps pinging me, so I turned chat back on to see what he wanted.  told me my place was out in the fields to light tanks.  I ended up with over 4k damage and the td sub 40's got 450 in damage.   If only I got him those spots  :( 

moogleslam #17 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 16:34

Major

• Players
  • 32370 battles
This deserves it's own post (though it's been said many times before), but I realized recently, that as you improve your own skill level, you sure do get more disappointed in teammates doing stupid things.  My solution was to turn off chat entirely.  Teammates still do stupid things, but not trying to talk them into doing something useful, has actually made the game more enjoyable, since that was usually a losing battle anyway.  I'll use the in game commands, but nothing more.  I'm just in my own little world, and that's fine :)

Hali_greg #18 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 17:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 17520 battles
  • [RNSTR] RNSTR

Recently, I had a "good player" from a "good" clan totally go off on me when I was playing field in my low tier light.  He thought I should be playing city and saving his butt.  I was set up with Camo Net and Binocs. not for brawling.

There is a lot of players who are amazingly immature a__holes.

There are some great helpful players, but it is hard to have meaningful communication in such short games.

LeaveIT2Beaver #19 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 17:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 28878 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostT2Easy4ME, on Jan 08 2018 - 08:59, said:

So... git gud? 

Gee!  Still in the 70's huh?  With 99 battles ....

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Jan 08 2018 - 17:12.

dunniteowl #20 Posted Jan 08 2018 - 17:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 19817 battles

I basically am guilty of giving commands at times.  I am also just as guilty of receiving commands from others that, more often than not, elicit from me a simple response, "Not my first time, I'm good."

I have decided a while back to be a nice gamer.  As nice as I can manage to be at all times.  Oddly, this fits in with my normal day-to-day persona of being a nice guy.

Do I get mad at times?  Sure, I bet the Dalai Lama occasionally yells an expletive when no-one can hear him, too.  Even so, I still am allowed to CHOOSE how I respond, whether that person is a decently nice person or someone who thinks they are, like, really smart, even and abrasive.

So I choose to respond with at least civility.  If I cannot manage that, I then resort to my favorite level of obtuse sarcasm, which, in writing, doesn't seem all that sarcastic, based on my observations so far, so it's all good.  I can rage in my own special way and no-one seems to notice it as raging, so it's a win-win.

Seriously, though, there are times when I really could use a hand on some maps and especially on some days when, for whatever reason, I am going left when i should be going right.  That said, someone simply telling me -- "You should be here with that unit, so go!" is pretty much a no go situation for me.

As the OP said, my tank, my repairs, my control.  If you suggest a place to go that I can reach that fits with what I see going on and that it makes sense to do, like a ping that shows a new enemy unit appearing in our flank -- I'm going to respond if I can.  If you're telling me how to operate my unit on the field, though, well that's going to generate a lot of nothing from me.

This is a team oriented game.

There are a lot of people out there that treat it as a single player experience.

Getting mad isn't a successful method to deal with that.

I play to win as often as I can, because winning is more fun than losing.  I play as a team oriented player, because that's the intent of the game and if I wanted a true single player experience I could have that without an online connection.  I want to play with other people, against other people as a team, just like if I were playing paintball, football, baseball or even volleyball.  

You can't do that if you don't observe the intent of the game.  You can't do it if you don't know the rules of the game (vis-a-vis, the mechanics and units on the field).

I miss All Chat.  I have my chat on.  I only occasionally block someone for a battle.  The reason I block?  Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Block.  Insult, trash.  Insult, trash.  Insult, trash.  Block.

That's about it.  No other reason to reduce the human clutter -- just toss out the trash and we're good.  Hope you all feel likewise.

GL, HF & HSYBF

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users