Which sky cancer line is consistently good(ie. hated by everyone NOT in artys)?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

AbramsSmakr #1 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 05:01

Major

• Players
  • 5815 battles

Don't play much anymore and my first 3 games using new T-28 F30 were atrocious. So I was watching some arty replays on YouTube, when I remembered that artys have been sorta buffed since the last time I played one in 2015. So I figured what the hay, I've got like 3 free garage spaces, and I once owned the Pz SFL IVb, so it won't be costly to re-buy it. I also owned a couple low tier Russian artys in early 2014.

Although it would be cheaper to start with artys I've already owned, are their better overall lines than the Russian or German lines? I don't really care if most of the line is good, but the tier 9 and or 10 are sub par. Thanks. 

F_Type #2 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 05:03

Captain

• Players
  • 17691 battles
french arty

TsarCidron #3 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 05:29

Major

• Players
  • 6596 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

as a line, US and Russian.    Both make things go boom with consistency.   There are good single pieces elsewheres, but for a line, US or USSR. 

Brit and French have a prem arty (Sexton and Lefh... aka Leaf or Leafblower) allowing for marginally superior crew training via gold arty.

g4143 #4 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 15:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9189 battles

I use French arty because they are fast(tier 6 - 10) but they do have underpowered, low arc guns by arty standards.

If you like firing and moving to counter things like counter battery or moving to keep up with the play then I'd consider French arty.

Edited by g4143, Jan 09 2018 - 15:13.

Firemoth #5 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 36193 battles
american.

LeepII #6 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 15:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19578 battles

Big arty player here.  French is by far the best.  And when you get to TX you are positively hated for your autoloader arty.

dunniteowl #7 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 15:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 20123 battles

I love my Bishop.  Don't think I'll ever sell it.

German arty is pretty accurate at lower tiers and at higher tiers trades that accuracy for alpha and splash, making it still very effective on the whole.

Russian arty is a crap shoot.  The lower tier stuff is like the first two tiers of German arty -- the rounds look like BBs or pellets when they strike for all they do.  They'd be funny if you weren't driving them.  After that, they get progressively better in accuracy, though tend to have low, flat arcs.

US arty is odd.  The first two tiers are like the others; pretty much a joke.  Then they hit the M37 and it sort of mellows out between something that can shoot almost anywhere with decent accuracy that can also move around with a decent traverse arc.  Then there's the M41 HMC.  I can't say enough bad things about this unit at this point in time.  Horribly long reload, aim time is pretty long as well.  Accuracy?  Eh.  I've had some good games where I did carry in it, though more often than not I get a couple shots off and the game's over one way or another.  If it were faster on the reload (I have a rammer and gun laying drive in it) and better on the aim time, it might be worth it.  As it is, it's godawful to be consistent in it other than getting pummeled by any unit that spots it.

Upper tier they get better I'm told.  US, Russian, French arty seem to be the best overall with German and British being pretty persuasive in the mid tiers.

Even so, I think most folks hated the FV304. 

As often as not, most folks are going to pile onto arty when they can, no matter what -- easy pickings.  So, no matter what you go with, pay attention to the map, focus on stopping advances more than anything else, and try to pick as many targets as possible, either through direct hit here and there or through a set of purposeful splashes between units.  If you are going to get hate, you might as well do your best to generate a hefty amount of salt.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Edited by dunniteowl, Jan 09 2018 - 16:01.

AndrewSledge #8 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29377 battles
Bishop, Grille, M44, GW Panther, M40/43, M53/55

Chalybos #9 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22499 battles

American for a large splash and a decent hit.  Not too fond of the T92HMC when compared to the M53/M55, though.  Slow driving speed combined with the long reload make the tier X (in my opinion) less able to help turn a battle than the tier IX version.  By that I mean it's slower to react and change flanks, and makes shooting & scooting a more time consuming process.  But the tier IX hits hard, with better mobility and a partial turret.  I'd say that puts it on a par with the tier X.  The tier VIII arty, though.  The M40/43.  That's my personal favorite, hands down.

Russian for accuracy and speed.  Shoot & scoot with a fairly fast reload, but the damage is "meh" compared to some of the others.  You're clicking a lot more to get the same damage, and you'll actually run out of ammo in a match, if you've got enough targets.  But that reload ... I think that's a huge plus.

French for mobility and that sweet turret.  Hits are most often anemic.  Sure, you've got a clip, but there's a decent gap between shells, and anyone who isn't absolute garbage is going to have a crew that can repair the tracks in the time it takes you to get the next shell out.  And I'm talking about just the normal repair skill.  Also, fairly useless against heavies, completely useless against superheavies.  As in "Plink! That one didn't go through!" and a zero damage hit.  I prefer the tier IX over the tier X for the French as well, but that's more for the fun factor.  You're fast enough to avoid incoming tanks, assuming that you see them coming, and the mobility has made for some interesting matches.  

British for a huge splash and potentially some of the biggest hits (on multiple tanks all humping the same rock) due to that splash and the higher trajectory.  Shorter range, slow-as-hell shell speed, but the mortar fire makes this the most useful line for a city map.  Less so for an open map, but if there's a scout keeping your scout pinned down and theirs is hiding behind some rocks ... well, if they're worth their salt and looked at the team makeup, and noticed that the scout is platooned with a GC, they'd best not put too much stock in that rock they're hiding behind unless it's really tall.

Only have German to tier VII, so I don't comment on that line, other than to say that it's the second least threatening to me when I'm in a heavy or a non-squishy TD, behind the French which have literally hit me for nothing more than stun damage with a direct impact on more than one occasion.

If you're platooned more often than not, I'd say the Russian line, as the rapid rate of fire and fairly fast movement speed can work wonders for getting your platoon mates spotting damage on the way in, and cover fire on the way out.  The smaller splash radius and accurate gun also make it more viable for close arty support, but I say this as a very strong warning against doing so for anyone other than someone you're platooned with.  Nobody likes getting a "friendly" derp from above.

On my personal opinion, I'd say the US and/or Russian, then Brit.

xtc4 #10 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23175 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
There is no arty line that doesn't have at least a couple of dogs in tiers 5-10. They all have 3 or 4 good ones and 2 or 3 bad ones. It is just a matter of what style you like and whether you will want keepers at specific tiers (e.g, will you want the tier 10 to be viable for team play?). US, Russian, British, French -- all have different styles, and you could choose any of them depending on your preferences.

TallyNole #11 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33030 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

I have all five tier X's.  My opinion from worst to best:

U.S.  Not a fan of the U.S. T-92, because it has a big alpha but long, slow reload.  Big alpha isn't that useful with the new RNG causing you to make fewer direct hits.  Very good splash damage with the gold shell makes it useful on some maps where heavies group up in chokepoints.  The rocks on the east side of  Redshire, for example.  Very slow travel speed.  Agree with previous post that the tier 9 is better.

The British Tier 10 has nice alpha, fairly slow reload.  It's shortcoming is range, noticeable on Grand Battle and other large maps.  It's significant advantage is the high-arc of the shell, which is great on Lakeville's valley, among other places.  This specialty makes it useful with some clan game situations where the map is known in advance.

I love the French autoloader, but it really doesn't do enough damage to be that effective.   Very fast travel speed when you need to bug out.

Russian tier X is very accurate and has a fast reload.  Just lacks a little on alpha and has a flat trajectory.  Very close to a tie with my top choice...

German GW-E100 is the all-around best to me because it has no drawbacks.  It has a good alpha, good accuracy, good reload time and decent travel speed.  No significant weaknesses and no major advantages but it means your contribution to any battle is pretty consistent from battle to battle.  If I go into a random battle and don't know the map, I want to take this arty.  Also, grinding this line was fun.  I don't remember a tier in the line that was really bad  - most lines have at least one stinker.  French has more than one.

Just my opinions - I am a decent arty player but certainly not one of the best.

Edited by TallyNole, Jan 09 2018 - 19:29.

AbramsSmakr #12 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:18

Major

• Players
  • 5815 battles

View PostLeepII, on Jan 09 2018 - 09:35, said:

Big arty player here.  French is by far the best.  And when you get to TX you are positively hated for your autoloader arty.

What did you say? Autoloader arty?

AbramsSmakr #13 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:33

Major

• Players
  • 5815 battles

View PostTallyNole, on Jan 09 2018 - 13:28, said:

I have all five tier X's.  My opinion from worst to best:

U.S.  Not a fan of the U.S. T-92, because it has a big alpha but long, slow reload.  Big alpha isn't that useful with the new RNG causing you to make fewer direct hits.  Very good splash damage with the gold shell makes it useful on some maps where heavies group up in chokepoints.  The rocks on the east side of  Redshire, for example.  Very slow travel speed.  Agree with previous post that the tier 9 is better.

The British Tier 10 has nice alpha, fairly slow reload.  It's shortcoming is range, noticeable on Grand Battle and other large maps.  It's significant advantage is the high-arc of the shell, which is great on Lakeville's valley, among other places.  This specialty makes it useful with some clan game situations where the map is known in advance.

I love the French autoloader, but it really doesn't do enough damage to be that effective.   Very fast travel speed when you need to bug out.

Russian tier X is very accurate and has a fast reload.  Just lacks a little on alpha and has a flat trajectory.  Very close to a tie with my top choice...

German GW-E100 is the all-around best to me because it has no drawbacks.  It has a good alpha, good accuracy, good reload time and decent travel speed.  No significant weaknesses and no major advantages but it means your contribution to any battle is pretty consistent from battle to battle.  If I go into a random battle and don't know the map, I want to take this arty.  Also, grinding this line was fun.  I don't remember a tier in the line that was really bad  - most lines have at least one stinker.  French has more than one.

Just my opinions - I am a decent arty player but certainly not one of the best.

I actually tried out several high tier artys in the last two test servers. Mostly I used the Russian and US tier 9-10 artys, and I really didn't have the patience for the tier 10 American arty's insanely SLOW reload. If you missed or did minor damage, you have to wait approx 47 seconds for reload! You can't control whether a distant enemy tank will actually remain in the same spot while you click the left mouse key. If he is in a fast medium, TD or light tank, and he moves, you won't be firing again for nearly a minute! If you get spotted, it's over. 

Chalybos #14 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 20:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22499 battles

View PostAbramsSmakr, on Jan 10 2018 - 01:33, said:

I actually tried out several high tier artys in the last two test servers. Mostly I used the Russian and US tier 9-10 artys, and I really didn't have the patience for the tier 10 American arty's insanely SLOW reload. If you missed or did minor damage, you have to wait approx 47 seconds for reload! You can't control whether a distant enemy tank will actually remain in the same spot while you click the left mouse key. If he is in a fast medium, TD or light tank, and he moves, you won't be firing again for nearly a minute! If you get spotted, it's over. 

Welcome to upper tier artillery.  That long reload is the tradeoff for range, a large splash, and indirect fire.  The Brit arty has a pretty similar reload, but drives even more slowly.  It's also why I tend to not play either of them when solo: they're great for supporting a player or two that you are coordinating with, but usually it's terrible if you're trying to work with the general masses in a pub match.

Augerr #15 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 03:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15409 battles
  • [SCYWG] SCYWG

American, accurate and can hit anywhere on the map.  I have the most fun w/tier 6 M44 American. It has a decent reload and alpha and with the accuracy, adequate splash.

I have not used the Russian arty.  I've never heard of them being called accurate.     

I'm not a fan of the British arty or the German tier 5 Grille.  You have to get too close to the action to hit targets.  

Chalybos #16 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 20:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22499 battles
The 261 is pretty accurate, at least in comparison to the others.  A friend of mine (unicum player) has a 44% hit rate in it, mine is about 35% hit rate.  

ChaosKampf #17 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 17:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3253 battles
  • [KAMPF] KAMPF

Decided to try French line of SPG's because of this thread. AMX 105 AM mle. 47 flat-out drops the hammer on anything you target, as long as you do your part and train your crew. I think this was my second game after getting the good gun on it. 5 kills... That's the best round I've ever had in anything, as far as I can remember.  http://wotreplays.eu...x_105_am_mle_47

Ken_McGuire #18 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 18:41

Captain

• Players
  • 27796 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

Hardly the arty expert here. I have played the Soviet to tier 6, the US to tier 10, and the French to tier 9. The Soviet was so long ago I can't really give an informed opinion....

USA was generally quite friendly to an arty noob. I crossed over to the arty at tier 5 from the LT line... Tier 5 was sluggish and did not work well for me. Tier 6 (M44) is amazing and needs to be hit by the nerf bat hard. Good mobility, Good rate of fire, Very large firing arc. Tier 7 is a let down after this, but if you compare it with other tier 7 arty, it isn't bad. It just isn't OP like the M44. While the M40/43 can be effective with either gun, IMHO it is the larger one that makes it special with the splash and stun against big targets and enough alpha to actually one-shot some glass cannons like the Skorpion-G. The M53/55 at tier 9 takes basically the same guns and adds quite a bit of mobility and gun arc to make probably an OP tank. Admittedly the T92 was a disappointment for me... Don't do the line for the tier 10. Do the line because many of the tanks can be a relaxing break from other tanks - especially when the game has been trolling you.

The French line I crossed over at tier 6. My experience is that while they are good at mobility, their low shell arc can be quite frustrating, and at high tiers, their smaller guns are quite limited against superheavies. It isn't a bad line. It just takes a bit more thinking than the Americans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users