Help! I suck at this game yet don't know why...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

X7DragonsX7 #1 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 155 battles

I don't know why I am so bad at this game, yet my best classes are artillery. I think it is because my main problems are rushing forward, and taking too many shots, but I think I need some help. A platoon mate will help with being bad, but I'd rather not use the integrated platoon voice chat as it isn't good. My discord permalink is here at https://discord.gg/9g9kFkh. Feel free to join it and @ me if you are on or if you want a platoon. Also, I have a suggestion. What makes low tiers hard for players, is that they are put into matches at the start with bots, but then after a few battles these battles will result in no gains, and they have to be put into random battles. I feel like this isn't the way how it should be. Like WoWS, there should be a Random-Co-op battle mode, that will put you with and against real players and bots. This will shorten queue times and make lower tiers more enjoyable. This battle mode will be for tiers 5 and lower. But back to the part of me being terrible. I need help but I don't know how to improve. My highest tier sees tier 10s and can also see tier 6. I have the M4A1, the Type 64, the Churchill III, the M22 Locust, the T-29 and a buttload of tier 3 and 2 tanks. Send help, please.

Also, when you join my discord, it'll say that my username is X7DragonsX7 [MRKVM] although that is for WoTB, so ignore that

Edited by X7DragonsX7, Jan 09 2018 - 17:53.

bunnycaulk #2 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1599 battles
You just like shooting more than worrying about self-preservation.   That's not a bad thing.  Are you enjoying the game?  Then ignore stats and win-loss records.  Leave that to the OCD players.

Sir_Tomato_DroolsAlot #3 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:51

Major

• Players
  • 33072 battles

Bots are at all tiers... WG says they frown upon Bot, but have yet to do anything about it regardless of how many times said Bots get reported... just a way for WG to inflate the player base numbers..

but don't worry about lower tiers, and DO NOT RACE up the tiers either.. play until u become good at the tier ur on.. WG cripples ALL new players with 50% crews, no 6th sense, and trash tanks.. just worry about grinding crews up to 100% for now, and then adding addition skills after that. win/losses don't matter in this game as much as the elitist want you to believe..

_kumicho_ #4 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38517 battles

good to see you take some initiative, but, you're a pup in the game as yet... your total games I generally play in a couple three days.. thats hardly enough time to even get comfortable with the interface, let alone strats and tactics. assuming your forum ID is legit. If not, the below will still help...

check the beginners forum, theres lots of 'how to' posts and videos... check some streamers and youtube channels for some of the more well known players who are statistically above average (some are just down right ridiculously good).

Good luck.

Edited by _kumicho_, Jan 09 2018 - 17:54.

_Promote_Synergy_ #5 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 17:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14297 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
You are still very new to the game. I wouldn't worry about getting purple stats until you can get the basics down.

MacDaddyMatty #6 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 19711 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Be a bit less aggressive.

Make GOOD trades.

Don't get caught out in the open.

Work with your teammates.

GL HF

Nunya_000 #7 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:04

Major

• Players
  • 20764 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostX7DragonsX7, on Jan 09 2018 - 08:46, said:

I don't know why I am so bad at this game, yet my best classes are artillery. I think it is because my main problems are rushing forward, and taking too many shots, but I think I need some help. A platoon mate will help with being bad, but I'd rather not use the integrated platoon voice chat as it isn't good. My discord permalink is here at https://discord.gg/9g9kFkh. Feel free to join it and @ me if you are on or if you want a platoon. Also, I have a suggestion. What makes low tiers hard for players, is that they are put into matches at the start with bots, but then after a few battles these battles will result in no gains, and they have to be put into random battles. I feel like this isn't the way how it should be. Like WoWS, there should be a Random-Co-op battle mode, that will put you with and against real players and bots. This will shorten queue times and make lower tiers more enjoyable. This battle mode will be for tiers 5 and lower. But back to the part of me being terrible. I need help but I don't know how to improve. My highest tier sees tier 10s and can also see tier 6. I have the M4A1, the Type 64, the Churchill III, the M22 Locust, the T-29 and a buttload of tier 3 and 2 tanks. Send help, please.

Also, when you join my discord, it'll say that my username is X7DragonsX7 [MRKVM] although that is for WoTB, so ignore that

With only 125 battles, do not worry about how well you do at this game.  You are mostly playing low tier tanks at the moment and they are actually harder to learn and do well in for inexperienced players than tanks at tier 5+.

If you are like most people, it will take you quite awhile to learn the nuances of the game.  For me, the light bulb did not go off until around 5000 battles.  There are a lot of tricks that can be used to increase your survival rate...and the longer you survive, the better you will likely perform.  The biggest piece of advice is to not be overly aggressive, while at the same time, do not be overly passive. Try to put yourself in a position where you are active throughout the whole battle but are not sacrificing your tank.

zippychippy #8 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:09

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13398 battles
  • [B0TS] B0TS
I have the same problem. I like to overextend as well. I try not to be so aggressive in the beginning but often I ignore my own advice 

pafman #9 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32755 battles
  • [-_-] -_-

View PostX7DragonsX7, on Jan 09 2018 - 17:46, said:

I don't know why I am so bad at this game, yet my best classes are artillery.

Met4lCrunch #10 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39121 battles
  • [VGASR] VGASR

For the first few thousand battles stick to your low and mid tier tanks to get a grasp of the basics. WOT is a very complex game, demanding to keep attention at several things at the same time (i.e. position of your tank, positioning in the battle field, position of other teammates, ammo type chosen, aiming, the mini map etc. etc.). Learn about crew skills and garage management.

Until you get a hang of most of those features, the M4A1 should stay in your garage. The meta at tier VIII-X is not the same as in the low to mid-tiers where you have your tech tree tanks. 

stalkervision #11 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:21

Major

• Players
  • 52216 battles

View PostX7DragonsX7, on Jan 09 2018 - 11:46, said:

Stay with your teammates in the beginning and let them carry a little of the weight. Aloso don't worry about how much you are winning. Try to have fun which is what this game is really all about. 

KingofDragons #12 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17621 battles
1 single stat which affects all others and also affect your win rate is your Hits %... Work on that ..

Cote_Zilla #13 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11097 battles
  • [_MH_] _MH_

Sit  back let the game develop don't  rush. follow another player around the map just don't  get too  close  give them room to  maneuver  watch and learn what  works or does not work.

Next  choose one or  two classes of  tanks preferably one that can mount a number of   different guns play around  find a tank and type of  gun that  fits your  play  style.

Yes  there are a number of good video's to help you with the basics and  reinforce the basics, watch one or  two before you play. try to  focus on a couple of  skills  at a time.

When you are  comfortable move on  in the game.

xtc4 #14 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 18:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21609 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Welcome to the game! When I had your number of games, I was using a mousepad. And I didn't realize that an autoloader keeps firing when you hold the button down. You should have seen me furiously clicking. Etc., etc.

Play the low tiers for now. Have fun! After a thousand games or so, you should be focusing on the mid tiers. That's where you will really start learning the game.

I'll add one piece of advice: When you are a beginner, get into the big brawl, wherever it is. Once you get there, do your best to survive, even if you have to hump a building or rock or hide behind a hill.  Only take shots when it seems really safe. Just by surviving for a substantial time in the neighborhood of the brawl, you will usually get opportunities. The red guys will poke or some opportunity will come up. You will slowly learn how to trade wisely and how to create opportunities.

BTW, feel free to send me a friend request in game. I am often busy with team stuff, but may send you a platoon invite if I have a chance.

Happy tanking!

Edited by xtc4, Jan 09 2018 - 18:59.

kazjoe #15 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:19

Private

• -Players-
  • 12271 battles
  • [MJPRX] MJPRX
its normal to suck at your stage in the game, it took me to about 4k battles to get the hang of the mechanics. just keep practicing, and try to avoid high tiers if possible, as you will be playing with more experienced players.

Chalybos #16 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22032 battles

You're new.  Too new to worry about anything more than learning how to play, rather than how well you're doing.  Once you get that figured out, your gameplay will most likely improve substantially.  Put in a few hundred more battles before worrying about improving your daily dose of Git Gud©.

Now what I mean by learning how to play is what tanks are better at brawling, which ones are snipers, whether that TD you're driving is a glass canon or a rolling battleship.  Figuring out the flow of maps, spotting mechanics, best equipment and consumables, which ammo to fire at what opponent.  Those things ain't gonna be summed up in a single forum post with general comments.  There are a lot of tutorials and guides available, though.  I'd suggest starting with this:

JohnnyPro13 #17 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 37033 battles
It takes a good couple thousand games to get the hang of it.....unless you are over 50 then 37,000 games is a good bench mark.

RogerClark #18 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22992 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

For now just play the game, explore it, get to know the maps. Once you have done this you can start to learn about the details: spotting mechanics, armor angling, ammo types and how they are different, trading, peek a boom, hull down, side scraping, peeking, gun depression, play styles and roles for different tank classes. 

These are links to videos that helped me get good at the game.

World of Tanks | Beginner Series--- https://www.youtube....4Y5YRQBc621fKPr

Road to  Unicum--- https://www.youtube....1Uxk0ddwEmS4B5W

Map guides/ were to go--- https://www.youtube....7gkqUqpaKKCGUUJ

Role playing--- https://www.youtube....9QqkRrVIvC52KAu

Spotting locations--- https://www.youtube....-zCh2Ivc2oOFiD4

Scouting basics--- https://www.youtube....h?v=bGZEZmqwfkc

Good luck!

Awestryker #19 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:40

Major

• Players
  • 24435 battles

+1 for asking for help...

A lot of people, myself included, learn better from watching or doing, rather than reading...I can offer the following...

So this game is a lot more challenging than it looks at first...

Unless you are some kind of gaming savant, it takes time (study and practice) to learn many aspects of this game...

Watch these to start...good videos...I still re-watch these videos once in a while to refresh myself...

Explaining Mechanics - Visibility System

https://www.youtube....h?v=7qrQ1UPltXg

Explaining Mechanics - Armor Penetration

https://www.youtube....h?v=UFktFSJZPsQ

Explaining Mechanics - How to Block Damage

https://www.youtube....h?v=WX4o2Yaf0hU

If you like light tanks...go watch videos on Youtube from these guys, they both have a lot of up to date scout videos...

Dauntless

https://www.youtube....pMAU_drqZK9s3rJ

4Tankersanddog

https://www.youtube....-zCh2Ivc2oOFiD4

There are many other content providers, but these guys above really go into the basics on scouts and other things, and keep their stuff pretty up to date mostly...I have watched ALL of their videos (almost), and I even made a spreadsheet of all the scouting positions for each map and each game mode from 4tankersanddog and Dauntless scout videos and a printed version of that spreadsheet sits on my desk at home.

Other Youtube content providers you should check out are: Zeven, Lemmingrush, Taugrim, Anfield, Dauntless, etc...I am sure I am missing some other good content providers...

Also, watch 4Tankersanddog garage crawl videos for each tank type...in these he tells which tanks he like to play in the current version of the game, the rest are usually pretty much dogs...and he tells how he has them equipped and what skills...its a quick way to help learn how to setup tank equipment and crew skills...

https://www.youtube....iQin_H3EJcud4MF

People will hate me saying this, but get XVM installed...

If you are playing and not in a platoon, then just use XVM to see who on your team is better than you, and in the same tank type at the same tier or higher, tag along behind that person and pay attention to where they go first on the map and all game, think about why they went where they did, support them, shoot at who they shoot at, just don't get behind them or in their way...in this way you can learn from them without being platoon in any match...

And if you do not know where to go on a map in your tank type, watch these videos:

https://www.youtube....7gkqUqpaKKCGUUJ

Zeven player replay reviews are also a good source of where to go on maps and finer tactics of what people should of done as he watches the replays...

https://www.youtube....WABrOga3edyKx8Y

Good luck ;)

Edited by Awestryker, Jan 09 2018 - 19:41.

madgiecool #20 Posted Jan 09 2018 - 19:47

Major

• Players
  • 48624 battles
  • [4NZAB] 4NZAB

Try

It's an older video, but still so good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users