Why is this game so unfriendly to new players?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Schwa1be #1 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 49 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

auto cannons that clip tanks in one burst, Derp guns that have ludicrous accuracy and dispersion fire rates that make smart play almost meaningless, all at tiers 1-3, why?

ive really been trying to get into this game, I got an early ace and was enthusiastic as ever. But now that I’m here ever game is just so painfully annoying with how over powered auto cannons are, having better accuracy than some on the single shot guns I use. I was playing my amx 38 earlier with the top gun and an m2 medium with the Derp was able to hit me more consistently and quicker than I was able to hit it.

im really getting turned off of wot

Silver_ReBangBang_Wow #2 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:46

Captain

• Players
  • 31578 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
low tiers are hell, many sealclubbers. Gets better higher up.

TsarCidron #3 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:46

Major

• Players
  • 6147 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

Steep learning curves, people thinking this is just an arcade tank game, chaos of tier 1-3 battles, machine-gun tanks that dramatically affect the outcome regardless of user skill, seal clubbing in the lower tiers, plain bad tanks at lowest tiers, and more..   Pick one, pick all.   Many many reasons.

Scrounge around your search engine for discount codes, bonus packages, and similar for "new player packages".   They usually have a few out there with some bonus coin, as well as the occasional premium low tier tank.

Sir_Tomato_DroolsAlot #4 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:48

Major

• Players
  • 33072 battles
something tells me this is a reroll trolling..

Yao_Wang #5 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13045 battles

View PostSchwa1be, on Jan 09 2018 - 17:42, said:

auto cannons that clip tanks in one burst, Derp guns that have ludicrous accuracy and dispersion fire rates that make smart play almost meaningless, all at tiers 1-3, why? ive really been trying to get into this game, I got an early ace and was enthusiastic as ever. But now that I’m here ever game is just so painfully annoying with how over powered auto cannons are, having better accuracy than some on the single shot guns I use. I was playing my amx 38 earlier with the top gun and an m2 medium with the Derp was able to hit me more consistently and quicker than I was able to hit it. im really getting turned off of wot

ok

1.welcome to the game

2.the tanks from tire 1-2-3 for light mediums heavy are set up in more of a anti infantry anti light armor role that's why you have the autocannons/autoloaders and derps as you tier up youll see less of these

3.if you feel like taking the game slow I suggest only moving up in tier with the crew when you have one full set of skill and perks at 100%

Edited by Yao_Wang, Jan 10 2018 - 02:58.

Manimal__ #6 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 02:55

Major

• Players
  • 37734 battles

View PostSilver_ReBangBang_Wow, on Jan 09 2018 - 17:46, said:

low tiers are hell, many sealclubbers. Gets better higher up.

No it doesn't.. Type 5.

Spartan_Striker #7 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24283 battles
  • [H4CKS] H4CKS
Hard economics make it hard to get to fun tiers without premium time.

24cups #8 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21193 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA
You only have 39 battles, don't get discouraged.....until you reach 1000 at least. Then it's ok to be p.o. 'd

lamberad #9 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21980 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
This game takes a while to get good. It not like many others out there and let’s be honest, WG didn’t do a whole lot to help that when the game first came out. You need to understand the tanks your playing and the ones you’re going up against to do well. 

Dogsoldier6 #10 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:11

Major

• Players
  • 54440 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

I was disappointed when WoT started filling the low tiers with MG tanks, my words. Basically all the new players are learning is how to use the WASD keys. I feel the OP, and other new players, pain (Tho I never play anything under tier four anymore and only fours to help mates with a grind tank.

Get into tier 5-6 as fast as you can then slow down and learn the game in those two tiers.

Red_Ensign #11 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:25

Major

• Players
  • 6990 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
you have to do what you can to mitigate the weaknesses of what you're driving.  like the amx 38 is slow and can easily be sniped to death in the open, or double teamed from two sides when you're in a city.  you have to not stray too far from teammates and stay close to hard cover.  something like an m2 medium has a low velocity projectile that can go over hills a bit, so you need vertical cover (buildings) not horizontal (hills).  the m2 med also has great view range, so if you're in the open he'll see you before you see him.  the good news is, with a round that slow, when you get in a faster tank you'll be able to juke a bit to make him miss even in the open. 

moon111 #12 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:29

Major

• Players
  • 28274 battles

The gaming industry as a whole has been very bad at making games for older, non-fast twitch, non quick-reflexes players.  World of Tanks is a game I can recommend to those players.

When I started playing, they use to promote not to rush up the tiers.  But now, it's the exact opposite.  The slower strategy of the low tier games is history.  Not sure I would of kept on

playing if I started today.  Whether it be light tanks, mediums, heavy tanks, arty, or even if you just sit there and click with a TD, there is something for everyone in this game. 

Low tiers definitely don't represent that, so rush past them ASAP.  There comes a point an older player that doesn't rush can win over those who mash the "W" key to their death.

Capt_Nixon #13 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:36

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6999 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostSchwa1be, on Jan 09 2018 - 19:42, said:

im really getting turned off of wot

Haha, dude just wait ... you'll get up through Tier 3 and in to the "fun" learning tiers 4 and 5. Then you get to Tier 6, and you'll want to quit all over again.

Schwa1be #14 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:38

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 49 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I’m grinding 3 lines, the Czech (I’ve been told about the horrendous grind so I’m not too bitter when I play them), the Russian mediums, and the French lights. Currently at tier 3 in all 3 lines. I’m think about swapping out the tier 5 gun from the t46 because it’s just horribly inaccurate and most Tanks will hit me twice before I can get my shots off. I’ve also got no idea where to go depending on what tank I am, like where is the tier 3 Czech tank best used at? But that stuff just comes with experience so hopefully I pick up on it fast

This is is because my laptop isn’t that good but when I go into the higher zoom levels the game performance drops and makes it a bit harder to aim. 

FrozenKemp #15 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:46

Major

• Players
  • 43699 battles

For better or worse (I guess worse) WG decided to make the gameplay model for low tiers fast and low investment.  Run a battle, did you make a mistake and die in a minute?  It's over, run another one.

It DOES become less of a factor at higher tiers.

My $0.02: for now, if you can't beat em, join em.  Your T-46?  Mount the 37mm gun on it.  Against anything that can pen, you can blast people with 3/2 shot bursts and do some really serious damage.

That will take you on to the T-28 and the KV-1 which are solid tanks and get you away from the machine gun style gameplay. 

FrozenKemp #16 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:48

Major

• Players
  • 43699 battles
PS if you want Russian mediums you need to get to T-34, not the KV-1.  The T-46 is on the wrong line for that.  :(

Red_Ensign #17 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:53

Major

• Players
  • 6990 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostSchwa1be, on Jan 09 2018 - 20:38, said:

I’m grinding 3 lines, the Czech (I’ve been told about the horrendous grind so I’m not too bitter when I play them), the Russian mediums, and the French lights. Currently at tier 3 in all 3 lines. I’m think about swapping out the tier 5 gun from the t46 because it’s just horribly inaccurate and most Tanks will hit me twice before I can get my shots off. I’ve also got no idea where to go depending on what tank I am, like where is the tier 3 Czech tank best used at? But that stuff just comes with experience so hopefully I pick up on it fast

This is is because my laptop isn’t that good but when I go into the higher zoom levels the game performance drops and makes it a bit harder to aim. 

generally speaking, the gun with the highest pen probably also has the highest velocity shell, making aiming easier because you have to lead less.  and higher pen makes hitting exact weak spots less crucial.

firecomet234 #18 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 04:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4139 battles
  • [CDNEH] CDNEH

I just thought I'd try and help you out a bit. Down at lower tiers most of the tanks are essentially copies of each other, but a few ones stand out as unique and definitely "better" than the others. Obviously this is my opinion, and I haven't tried all of the lower tier tanks. These tanks are pretty good, and are also very fun.

---

Copied from a guide I wrote a while ago. "Firecomets Guide on Unique Tanks"

For some reasons the spoilers in the guide previously are not working - sorry!!!

---

Tier 1

Spoiler

Tier 2

Spoiler

Tier 3

Spoiler

It gets better past Tier 3. Tier 3 is a [edited]place to be, but at Tier 4 strategies start to come into play and some Tier 4 tanks can hold their own against Tier 5 or even Tier 6 (and even Tier 7s!) Here I'm just gonna give a list of tanks I enjoyed / heard were good.

Tier 4

Spoiler

Tier 5. Here things start to get real fun. Certain tanks just stomp on others better.

Spoiler

If you have played tanks up to Tier 5, you should have a good idea of which styles you enjoy and what you are good at. If by then, you still lack a idea of what to do, I'll write a new guide for Tier 6- 10 although I only have like 5 tanks up there. (I'm a noob)

Avoid these tanks for now:

• Higher-tier lights - I started off with lights, and I'm still learning 3900 battles later. Lights are a hard class and have become difficult to influence battles in, espcially at higher tiers where there are less noobs.
  • Artillery - It's important for you to learn how to play tanks first and get the hang of the maps. Make sure you learn strategies with actual tanks as well, as well as who goes where on what map. Once you learn that stuff, artillery will be easier to get into as you can support your teammates more effectively. And ignore the haters. Artillery is a valid type of tank, it's just that the playstyle is in a category of its own.
  • French tanks - Lower tier french tanks are usually incredibly painful. Certain lines don't get good until Tier 8 or Tier 9. There are tanks that may be warmly recommended such as the AMX 38 and AMX 40 for their armour and trollish bouncing, but usually only more skilled players find success in those tanks.
  • Buying gold at lower tiers - Practically anyone can pen anyone. Buying gold ammo at Tiers 1-3 is worthless.

Enjoy the game and stuff like that!

---

Edited by firecomet234, Jan 10 2018 - 04:15.

SakuyaSama7 #19 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 1841 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA

View PostSir_Tomato_DroolsAlot, on Jan 09 2018 - 17:48, said:

something tell me this is a reroll trolling..

Doesn't really change the fact that the new player experience isn't very good. When I was catching up some of my tanks up to Tier V, it was just filled with either Luchs and Pz. I Cs running around clipping tanks because LOL WHAT'S ARMOR, or unicums sealclubbing. I know because I will see them spam premium ammo and/or are in tanks that are considered ridiculously strong. Low-tier doesn't really teach anything to players, and is just as punishing as higher-tiers, but in a different sense.

the_Deadly_Bulb #20 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:26

Major

• Players
  • 19140 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostSir_Tomato_DroolsAlot, on Jan 09 2018 - 17:48, said:

something tell me this is a reroll trolling..

Too bad you're wrong.

He's a new player from Blitz.

Maybe try a different approach to posts in Newcomers made by players with less than 100 battles.

Players come here for advice not your trolling stupidity and trash talk.

I mean you want SBMM! ROTFL

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Jan 10 2018 - 05:27.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users