Review of the T32 Heavy Tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Poll: The T32 Heavy Tank (195 members have cast votes)

Do you think the T32 is a good tank?

1. Yes! (124 votes [63.59%])

Percentage of vote: 63.59%

2. No! (24 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

3. Never used on but I want to. (46 votes [23.59%])

Percentage of vote: 23.59%

4. I'd never get one if you paid me. (1 vote [0.51%])

Percentage of vote: 0.51%

Vote Hide poll

RPS007 #1 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 16:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5988 battles
  • [IGSN] IGSN
Hi all. This is RPS007 bringing you another review from the front lines. This time it's about the T32 Heavy Tank.

Specifications:

Cost:              2,610,000 credits  

Crew:              6

Health:            1,400 / 1,550 (upgraded turret)

Chance of Fire:    20%

• Engine:

Engine Power:      Ford GAC->              720(hp)
                   GMC Allison V1710-E32-> 760(hp)
                   Continental AV-1790-3-> 800(hp)

Speed Limit:       35(km/h)

• Suspension:

Weight/Load Limit: T84E1A-> 54.83(t)
                   T84E3A-> 60.5(t)

Traverse Speed:    T84E1A-> 20(deg/s)
                   T84E3A-> 25(deg/s)

• Armor:

Hull Armor:        127/76/51(mm)

Turret Armor:      T99E2-> 114/76/76(mm)
                   T119->  298/197/152(mm)

• Turret:

Turret Traverse:   T99E2-> 30(deg/s)
                   T119->  28(deg/s)

View Range:        T99E2-> 430(m)
                   T119->  460(m)

• Gun: Dam, Pen, RoF, Acr, Aim

90mm Gun T15E2:  240/240/320(HP)    170/258/45(mm)     9.01(r/m)      0.33-0.35(m)     2.0(s)
105mm Gun T5E1:  320/320/420(HP)    198/245/53(mm)     5-7.5(r/m)     0.37(m)          2.0(s)

• Radio Range:

Signal Range:      SCR508-> 450(m)
                   SCR528-> 850(m)

• Research Line:

Parent:            T29 Heavy Tank

Child:             T34 Heavy Tank

Posted Image

The Grind:

The grind to the T32 was an enjoyable one. The T29 with the 105mm T5E1 is a very deadly tank for being a tier 7. A lot of people say it is OP (Over-powered), but I don't mind. I used my T29 mainly, and because I was pressed for time, I converted xp from my M6 Heavy Tank which I had elited, and my KV-5 (See my review of it at: http://forum.worldof...298#entry842298). I got the tank in a little under two weeks by putting in only an hour or two a day, so for those of you how work a job or have school, you should be able to do it in about the same amount of time.

First Impressions:

The T32 when first purchased is basicly a larger, sluggish M26 Pershing. It's 90mm T15E2 gives this tank the ability to snipe, and due to its lack of turret armor, this is how you want to use it in the beginning. If you elited you T29 before you purchased the T32, you will have both engines, the radio, and the 105mm T5E1 cannon available for it, but without the suspension, you can only mount the engines and radio. Immediately grind and research the suspension. This allows you to mount the 105mm gun and add any equipment you may want (more on that later). After that has been done, go ahead with the turret grind. When you mount the turret, you will see the gun mantle get a thicker and more angled shape. This small change has just turned your tank from a sniper to an all out brawler.

Equipment:

I have been using the Verticle Stabilizer Mk 2, Large-Caliber Shell Rammer, and Large Spall Liner. Now for my reasons behind those choices.

#1. Verticle Stabilizer Mk 2: Keeps the accuracy tighter during turret rotation and tank movement. Very useful in manuevering fights.

#2. Large-Caliber Shell Rammer: Speeds up reload time. A must with Heavy Tanks.

#3. Large Spall Liner: This has saved my skin numerous times on numerous tanks. Very effective in protecting your tracks from splash damage and helps against tanks firing HE at your gun and turret.

Obviously, this is just my personal preference. Please use what works best for you.

Crew and Training:

My T32's crew started of in my M6 Heavy Tank at 50% training. By the time I got my T29, they had reached 100% training and I needed to decide on what skill to have the start specializing in. I looked ahead and discovered that the tracks on both the T29 and T32 and the gun on the T32 were going to get damaged, if not destroyed often. So I chose repair. When I purchased the T32, I transfered my T29 crew who now had 89% repair skills, and let me tell you, it was worth it. I can't tell you how many times the speedy repairs have saved my skin. I know some people use the Tool Box instead of the Spall Liner, and that is fine. I just believe a good offense (Spall Liner) is the best defense.

Tactics:

This subject is very important if you want to use the T32 effectively. The tactics you will use will be very similar to the ones you learned to use in the T29.

#1. Hull down. There are a lot of people who don't quite understand what exactly that means. It's fairly simple. Keep your hull below the enemy's line of fire. This can be done by hiding your hull behind the burning hulk of another tank, sitting at the crest of a hill or behind a rock and using your gun's depression to shoot over it, or even using the windows in buildings (These are great because all that shows is your turret).

#2. Angling your hull. This is actually a very effective technique when caught out in the open or even during hull down. Your hull, when angled, has an uncanny ability to bounce shots. I personally have bounced two rounds from an IS-7, which surprised me, but proves the usefulness and durability created by angling the hull.

#3. Facehugging. This is a great tactic if you know your enemy and his weaknesses. Most tanks have poor gun depression angles. This gives you tank the ability to ram up against them and blast away without them having access to your hull due to your low profile. I have killed KTs, IS-3s, and an E-75 that way, as well as numerous smaller tanks. Take extreme care with US Heavies though, for they can do the same thing to you.

Battle:

All right. You are completely upgraded, equipment mounted, ammo and consumables (I use the small repair kit, small first aid kit, and manual fire extinguisher) loaded. You are ready to go!

Last night I was fighting in Lakeville. I was at the south base and had gone up the left side through the ravine. I was accompanied by a T20 and had two guys as sniper support behind us. The T20 crested the hill and immediately reversed, revealing a KT. He thought he was safe, but his commander's cupola was sticking up above the hill. I moved in and put three shots in it. He started to retreat, so I crested the hill. Three rounds bounced off my turret at the same time, and two Lowes and an IS appeared. I promptly retreated back down the hill, sat at the right side of the V in the trail and waited for them to crest. They did, and we four let them have it. We killed the KT, and then three heavies showed up on radar, approaching my base. The T20, And guys behind me left to keep the threat out of our base, leaving me alone against three heavy tanks. I dueled the first Lowe, he had crested the hill, but couldn't get a good shot off due to my constant moving and hull down position. The other Lowe crested to lend a hand and charged down the left side of the V and attempted to flank me. I was trapped. If I moved forward, I would open up my front hull to the first Lowe. If I retreated, I would open my rear hull and engine to the second Lowe. Just then, the T20 returned. He distracted the first Lowe long enough for me to take him down to 1%. The T20 finished him off as I started with the next Lowe. I facehugged him, and started firing. The T20 kept pounding the rear of the Lowe as I broadsided him. He died very swiftly as well. Our Team won, 14:5. I had gotten one kill, three damaged, three spotted, and I recieved 1600 xp and 35,000-40,000 credits. I hope this give you some hope in your US Heavy future. I was worried myself, hearing mixed opinions about it. I can testify, however, to it's power, manueverability, and lethality. It will forever remain in my garage, a milestone for US Heavy Tanks. Thank you for reading my review. I hope it was a help to those who have or want one. It truely is one of the greatest tanks of all time.

RPS007

RPS007 #2 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 17:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5988 battles
  • [IGSN] IGSN
I have used American tanks (SPGs through tier 3 and TDs through tier 6) up through Tier 8. If anyone wants a review on any of those vehicles, post here and I will write one.

Dempsey_USMC #3 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 17:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10732 battles
pretty accurate the T32 is a beast of a tank if your in a good spot and dont get gang banged. my pershing cant pen a T32's front but can pen a T34's :D love this. since i drive the T34 aswell -_-

JDCollie #4 Posted Aug 30 2011 - 21:21

Major

• Players
  • 10347 battles
I'm not a great tanker. I think I have a 55% win ratio right now, my after xp is in the high 400s, and I have some absolutely horrific hit ratio (as in literally something like 54%)  

I just finished researching my T34, so here are the final statistics from my grind. Either I somehow became miraculously better as a player, or the T32 is a pretty sweet ride.
Spoiler                     

nublex #5 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 05:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17549 battles
I don't think the image OP post is a T32.....the glasic looks wrong.

mmike87 #6 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 11:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14225 battles
I'm keeping my T32 - it's elite and I enjoy driving it. I get a little more frustrated in Tier 10 games, and I am still learning the "facehugging" tactic. In Tier 8 games I can do pretty well, and hopefully can improve.

Voekov #7 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 12:06

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1685 battles
Terrible gun, mobility and hull armour have forever crossed that vehicle off my to-have list. After 30 battles on it, I scored less average experience than on T29, M6 or even T1 Heavy. I sold the tank and switched back to german tree. Now, I regret all that time I spent on going into American Heavy tree.

Noble #8 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 12:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7325 battles
Tanks tend to work better elited. :> People tend to judge without eliting.

SuperiorBeen #9 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 12:38

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It's a junk like any US heavy. My personal record is getting my gun destroyed 3 times in a single match. How can someone hull-down when the gun gets destroyed that easily? When you see a T32 in a hull-down position just spam him with HE and he will back-off ASAP with his tail between his legs.

Voekov #10 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 13:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1685 battles

View PostNoble, on Aug 31 2011 - 12:35, said:

Tanks tend to work better elited. :> People tend to judge without eliting.
I elited it with free exp before playing the first game on it.

RPS007 #11 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 14:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5988 battles
  • [IGSN] IGSN

View Postnublex, on Aug 31 2011 - 05:53, said:

I don't think the image OP post is a T32.....the glasic looks wrong.

It is though. I googled the T32 Heavy Tank, found this picture of the real prototype, and made it my profile pic as well as posted it here.

View PostVoekov, on Aug 31 2011 - 12:06, said:

Terrible gun, mobility and hull armour have forever crossed that vehicle off my to-have list. After 30 battles on it, I scored less average experience than on T29, M6 or even T1 Heavy. I sold the tank and switched back to german tree. Now, I regret all that time I spent on going into American Heavy tree.

My question to you is, did you get all the necessary upgrades for it? The T32 isn't a very good tank when it is stock. I did ok with it, but others might not. The T32 excels when you research and mount the better suspension and turret (you should have all ready researched the 105mm T5E1 gun during your time in the T29). The upgraded turret has massive amounts of armor (Front: 298mm, Sides: 197mm, Rear: 152mm) and the suspension gives the T32 good mobility. From what you have said, it sounds to me like you used a STOCK T32 and passed judgement on it before you finished researching the upgrades. I believe the T32, when handled right, is one of the deadliest tanks in the game. By the poll, I know there are others that will vouch for this statement as well.

View PostSuperiorBeen, on Aug 31 2011 - 12:38, said:

It's a junk like any US heavy. My personal record is getting my gun destroyed 3 times in a single match. How can someone hull-down when the gun gets destroyed that easily? When you see a T32 in a hull-down position just spam him with HE and he will back-off ASAP with his tail between his legs.

HE ammunition is really the only weakness the hull down T32 has to worry about. I've only ever lost my gun once in a battle, and I've done 27 battles with my fully upgraded T32. I'm not saying you can't lose your gun thrice in a battle, but it sure doesn't happen very often. Your other point about backing off, of course you back off. Then you find a way to flank the enemy, or you wait until he fires, use your tanks good excelleration, and facehug him until you kill him. If there is no chance of that due to there being more than one tank, just keep them spotted for the SPGs on your team.

I wish I could be of more help, but I wasn't there when you played the tank. If you were playing it before the previous patch or two, the Devs had taken away the T32's gun depresssion rate. The gave it back in one of the last patches, so the T32 is back in business.

JDCollie #12 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 15:37

Major

• Players
  • 10347 battles
I will agree that my gun gets the crap kicked out of it (It gets broken at least once every other battle.) but there is a reason. I go hull down :)  

I get a lot of HE spam in this tank simply because there is nothing else they can do to me.

RPS007 #13 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 15:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5988 battles
  • [IGSN] IGSN

View PostJDCollie, on Aug 31 2011 - 15:37, said:

I will agree that my gun gets the crap kicked out of it (It gets broken at least once every other battle.) but there is a reason. I go hull down :)  

I get a lot of HE spam in this tank simply because there is nothing else they can do to me.

Exactly my point. The T32 is so powerful, HE is a lot of people's only remaining option, other the die of course  :Smile-playing: .

mmike87 #14 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 15:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14225 battles
I will agree that module damage does seem to be a weakness. I have taken hits that have damaged several modules at one time. Once your gun is damaged, you're screwed since the 105 doesn't have stellar accuracy anyway.

JDCollie #15 Posted Aug 31 2011 - 23:00

Major

• Players
  • 10347 battles

View Postmmike87, on Aug 31 2011 - 15:46, said:

I will agree that module damage does seem to be a weakness. I have taken hits that have damaged several modules at one time. Once your gun is damaged, you're screwed since the 105 doesn't have stellar accuracy anyway.
It isn't so much that the modules are particularly weak, more that the playstyle employed by the T32 causes opponents to switch to weapons and tactics that cause increased damage to modules.

KnightFandragon #16 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 11:16

Major

• Players
  • 4617 battles
Nice review, I will definitely work on this tank once i rebuy my T29.  Ive got 39K xp on it now and am trying to save up free xp to buy the tracks and turret before I ever roll that thing outta the garage.  No way will I drive it in its stock form....114mm of turret armor vs 298?  Yeah, it will be worth it to wait and roll out a upgraded rig.

B_Gras #17 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 13:35

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6613 battles
yeah, the gun is like weak, just like the "ears" on T29.... always a good target with some HE spam.
When they got my gun, first they like  :) , and then Im go facehug,and they just like  :o

DannyT251 #18 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 14:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19531 battles
Very good tank, hull seems bouncier than it should. But it is balanced so no problem with that.

Landon05 #19 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 16:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7161 battles
OMG thanks so much, im grinding for the T32 right now as we speak :)))

MaxL_1023 #20 Posted Sep 04 2011 - 16:34

Major

• Players
  • 34880 battles
I haven't played the American heavies but I have faced them a lot and one thing I notice about the T-32 is it's under-gunned. 198 penetration simply does not cut it against the tanks you often find yourself matched up against at tier 8 - even the in my opinion superior 88/L71 is weak at that tier and it has 203 pen and better accuracy. I have a Tiger 2 - when I face a T-32 at long range (200+ meters) I simply turn my front plate towards him and bounce everything he throws at me. At the same time my 105 with 225 pen can easily go through his hull armor. When I see one hull down (rare for some reason) I usually just take cover and wait for arty to take care of him, however if he is alone I can usually just charge him and use my superior armor and firepower to overpower him at close range - since even my lower plate will bounce a lot of T5E1 shots. When they try to facehug me I just watch where their gun is aiming - point my mantlet at it and then angle my hull about 45 degrees - I have never been penetrated in that situation. If they turn their turret enough to hit my side I move my hull and put a round into theirs. They are not nearly fast enough to out traverse me so if they try that they are dead due to my ability to neutral steer. If they use HE they are out of ammo before they kill me.

Overall I think the T-32 simply needs a gun with 225 pen like the KT - maybe with a tradeoff in ROF and Accuracy in favor of alpha - some sort of 120mm. Then I would actually need to worry about it as opposed to it being right now a rofl-fight.

PS: all this is 1 on 1 - anything over tier 5 can easily pen my side armor so if he has help im in trouble unless I can do the reverse routine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users