British Heavy players... is it worth grinding?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

SakuyaSama7 #1 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 1870 battles
  • [SGTA] SGTA
So I'm currently powering through the Tiger P, and I'm slowly realizing that while I want to really like this tank, it hasn't been very nice to me. Of course, my other metric is the KV-85, so it's really not fair, but I digress. I'm grinding the other heavy lines as well and get them to Tier 6, and out of all of them, the only one that's behind is my Japanese and British lines still at T5. I know the O-I is a much better tank, and the end result is a stupidly powerful tank. I just don't see that with the British line. Sure, I've seen Super Conquerors being used in WGL, but when I think that I have to pass the Churchill I & VII, I shudder. I actually don't even use my Churchill III anymore after I've gotten my Lorraine 40t and Skoda T40.

The big question, is the Super Conqueror worth going through the Churchills for?

TsarCidron #2 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 6791 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

The Churchills (Church, Church VII, BP) all have similar characteristics.   Slow speed, RoF guns (aka, non alpha), spotty armor that is very flat.   If thats your thing, then you will enjoy the mid tier heavies.  If you like faster, better armored, higher damage heavies, then .... no.  You wont like them.     Do remember, these three come one right after the other with no let-up in their fun.

Is the Super Conq worth it..   That, only you can answer.  It will be a painful grind.  One that may have you reaching for your anti-depressants. 

DoctorThe19th #3 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:45

Major

• Players
  • 14030 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

Just look at the ONLY available British premium heavy (TOG II*)

Is it worth it?

Hellsfog #4 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 05:45

Major

• Players
  • 34149 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_
The super conq at the end it worth it. The tier 9 conq is good and the tier 8 caern is suppose to be very good after the buffs.  The problem with the tier 5, 6 and 7 is that they are all thoroughly meh and it's a lot of xp to grind in what is basically the same tank over and over and over. 

Redwave11 #5 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17774 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

I went through the entire line during the on-track a couple months ago. The play from tiers 1-3 was fine, just the usual low tier cancer. The matilda was ok, a bit slow for me but you only have to play a dozen battles with boosters to get through it. The tier 5 chirchill was pretty alright, definitely nothing spectacular but was manageable. I played the tier 6 churchill VII in skirmishes so that was fairly painless to get through. I skipped the Black Prince with free xp. The caernarvon was great (even pre buff) and the conqueror was also great to play.

As for is the Super Conqueror worth it?

Definitely. It is one of the strongest tier 10 heavies and easily the simplest to use (may bar the type 5). Impenetrable turret means drive to a ridge and easy mode everyone and even if you get caught on flat ground you have great dpm and good alpha which will allow you to at least trade your hp.

Edited by Redwave11, Jan 10 2018 - 06:25.

dominator_98 #6 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 20152 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
The S. Conq isn't much fun to play IMO. Pretty much anytime I'm in a hulldown position I feel like I could be doing just as well in my 140. The S. Conq also lacks a lot of mobility.

_Katyusha___ #7 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14225 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

What is wrong with the Churchills? As my starter, i like much my churchIII, 57~59%WR double MOE, but not playing so ofter anymore. When started the British Heavy line, with stock 75% crew and half stock, no extra equipment Church I, I was expecting for a quick grind for the Church VII, but i had hold on the change as my Church I keeps giving me good matches, close to soviet one, despite not prem MM, lower speed, low apcr count (despite fighting tier VII) and much lower crew skills.

IMO tier V Churchills are both great.

angrybovine #8 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:30

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13379 battles
  • [-DIG-] -DIG-

View Post_Katyusha___, on Jan 10 2018 - 06:13, said:

What is wrong with the Churchills? As my starter, i like much my churchIII, 57~59%WR double MOE, but not playing so ofter anymore. When started the British Heavy line, with stock 75% crew and half stock, no extra equipment Church I, I was expecting for a quick grind for the Church VII, but i had hold on the change as my Church I keeps giving me good matches, close to soviet one, despite not prem MM, lower speed, low apcr count (despite fighting tier VII) and much lower crew skills.

IMO tier V Churchills are both great.

I think part of what's wrong with the Churchills are the Japanese Heavies.

Before they came along, the Churchills were decent if played correctly and if you had a little luck with getting city maps.  I liked the tier 5 and tier 6 ones and basically had a really good experience with them.

But once the Japanese Heavies with their derp guns became more common, the good luck of getting a city map where you can make use of the church's armor if you side-scrapped on flat ground became meaningless.

Once upon a time, the good armor made up for the the low alpha but accurate high-rate of fire on the move.  Once upon a time, the armor allowed you to expose a tank that can't really peek and boom like others can.

The armor is now moot and they are slow, easy targets with bad gun depression and elevation that can't find a niche on all maps.

SacherMasoc #9 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8548 battles

View PostDoctorThe19th, on Jan 10 2018 - 16:45, said:

Just look at the ONLY available British premium heavy (TOG II*)

Excelsior. Way better than the Churchills but it requires a lot of premium spam. You can be one shot by KV-2s and O-Is but then so can everything else in those tiers. Also has pref. MM so you don't have to feel as useless as Churchill 1 in tier 7 battles. It's uncharacteristically fast for a Brit HT providing freedom to flex.

I did the Conqueror grind years ago on my Asia account - solely for the Conq and never the tier 10. Obviously before the recent major buffs and also before the turret buff way back when. The grind was horrendous but I liked the Conqueror so much I considered it worth it in the end. Now it and the Caernarvon are so much better and there is the S. Conq, I'd say endure the pain that is tiers 5,6,7 and you won't be disappointed in the higher tiers.

On the Churchill 1 again now. The memories are becoming real, if I wasn't largely a f2p player I might consider free xp to tier 8. 

Edited by SacherMasoc, Jan 10 2018 - 06:40.

DoctorThe19th #10 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:38

Major

• Players
  • 14030 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

View PostSacherMasoc, on Jan 09 2018 - 21:36, said:

Excelsior. Way better than the Churchills but it requires a lot of premium spam. You can be one shot by KV-2s and O-Is but then so can everything else in those tiers. Also has pref. MM so you don't have to feel as useless as Churchill 1 in tier 7 battles. It's uncharacteristaclly fast for a Brit HT providing freedom to flex.

Oops I forgot about the Excelsior...

didn't count the FV201 (A45) because of how [edited] it is but that's another example.

Edited by DoctorThe19th, Jan 10 2018 - 06:38.

Bolted_On #11 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61521 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

View Postdominator_98, on Jan 10 2018 - 05:07, said:

The S. Conq isn't much fun to play IMO. Pretty much anytime I'm in a hulldown position I feel like I could be doing just as well in my 140. The S. Conq also lacks a lot of mobility.

Big difference between 6 degrees on 140 and 10 degrees on S Conq.   Sure, the S Conq lacks mobility compared to a RU med, it's a heavy tank. 

To answer the OP, yes, S Conq is worth it.  

mlinke #12 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49367 battles
no.

Tyrantzz #13 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 06:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21946 battles
  • [ASSA] ASSA
S conq is worth it 100% very competitive right now, caern and the conq are also pretty good just getting past the lower tiers 

QinsCoCoPops #14 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 15177 battles

View PostSakuyaSama7, on Jan 10 2018 - 04:31, said:

So I'm currently powering through the Tiger P, and I'm slowly realizing that while I want to really like this tank, it hasn't been very nice to me. Of course, my other metric is the KV-85, so it's really not fair, but I digress. I'm grinding the other heavy lines as well and get them to Tier 6, and out of all of them, the only one that's behind is my Japanese and British lines still at T5. I know the O-I is a much better tank, and the end result is a stupidly powerful tank. I just don't see that with the British line. Sure, I've seen Super Conquerors being used in WGL, but when I think that I have to pass the Churchill I & VII, I shudder. I actually don't even use my Churchill III anymore after I've gotten my Lorraine 40t and Skoda T40.

The big question, is the Super Conqueror worth going through the Churchills for?

Oh yeah the Super Range Target is very very strong at tier X atm. It is very worth the grind with all that armor and the gun is basically a sniping weapon that you play close to the line with your armor. Not to mention it fires faster than the T110E5 and it is basically the same gun except more accurate and we haven't even gotten to the fact that when hull down with 10 degrees of gun depression that turret is extremely hard to penetrate and all that spaced armor on the turret helps mitigate a lot of the HE fired by type 5 heavies. It doesn't handle like an E5 does or as well as the FV215b does but it is more than good enough. So yes the grind is worth it.

Get it... Get it now and enjoy it before they nerf it... :izmena:

Edited by QinsCoCoPops, Jan 10 2018 - 07:21.

Tuwtles_PermaChatBanned #15 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18204 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
The S Conq is, objectively, the best tank in the game. 

Edited by Tuwtles_PermaChatBanned, Jan 10 2018 - 07:56.

Tuwtles_PermaChatBanned #16 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 07:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18204 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostQinsCoCoPops, on Jan 09 2018 - 23:19, said:

Oh yeah the Super Range Target is very very strong at tier X atm. It is very worth the grind with all that armor and the gun is basically a sniping weapon that you play close to the line with your armor. Not to mention it fires faster than the T110E5 and it is basically the same gun except more accurate and we haven't even gotten to the fact that when hull down with 10 degrees of gun depression that turret is extremely hard to penetrate and all that spaced armor on the turret helps mitigate a lot of the HE fired by type 5 heavies. It doesn't handle like an E5 does or as well as the FV215b does but it is more than good enough. So yes the grind is worth it.

Get it... Get it now and enjoy it before they nerf it... :izmena:

​Also the S Conq gun is exactly the same as the 215B's.

Slayer_Jesse #17 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 08:48

Major

• Players
  • 26979 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU

church one: kinda meh, but it has a good gun atleast.

Church 7: ok, decent armor for tier, but suffers from same gun syndrome and weakspots behind the tracks.

BP used to be toughest tier 7, but no longer. 17 pounder painful at this teir. free xp if possible.

Carn: changed alot since i played it, but looks decent now.

Conq: Yes.

Super conq: all of the Yes.

__WarChild__ #18 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 09:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 21092 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0
The Super Conqueror is probably the worst tier X heavy tank.  I would avoid it at all costs and get you that E100 ASAP instead.

DoctorThe19th #19 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 09:23

Major

• Players
  • 14030 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

View Post__WarChild__, on Jan 10 2018 - 00:19, said:

The Super Conqueror is probably the worst tier X heavy tank. 

????????????????

https://tanks.gg/compare/is-4

FrozenKemp #20 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 15:29

Major

• Players
  • 48105 battles

I am a big fan of the British heavy tank line but then again I am biased in favour of the Brits for no good reason. :D  As mentioned the Excelsior is a readily available crew trainer.  Sometime soon, hopefully, we will get the Caernarvon Action X or just "Caernarvon X" tier 8 premium tank.

I made a Churchills tank guide last October which I'd still stand by:  http://forum.worldof...ll-tanks-guide/

Of the Churchills...

The Churchill I's best strength is its gun, not the armour.  The lack of gun depression is a pain, but I just find the 75mm gun more workable than the 6-pounder.  

The Churchill Mk VII is mostly just there.  It doesn't really have any outstanding characteristics.  Worst of the three.

The Black Prince's armour can still be useful, and it has nice gun depression.

Once you reach the Caernarvon I expect it's pretty smooth sailing. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users