Game is dying.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Woebegoneslug #1 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21165 battles
  • [H2OW] H2OW

I have been on  for just over two years.  I learned this game the hard way.  Playing all the low tanks,  grinding, not knowing what I was doing and making a lot of mistakes. 

The forum posts are mostly complaints now.   Anecdotal experience tells me this wasn't always the case.  There used to be actual productive discussion here. Now its all BS,  that is because the game is going downhill.....and fast. 

1. Game used to have a base in reality:  By that,   a 120 mm gun was powerful and you could expect it to do a certain amount of damage.  Not so anymore.  Whatever size gun you have in this game is pretty much a mystery.  ie,   I shot a Sherman three times with my Tiger II, 8.8 shooting APCR and did no damage, and no pen.   He killed my Tiger in three shots.   This in reality is utterly impossible.  So impossible it's getting pathetic.  Just today, in my tier 9 M103 with the 120 mm shooting APCR, I hit a KV 4 tier 8 twice in the side hull where the ammo is and got no pen.  He penned my front twice.  wth?   This isn't just occasionally, it's all the time now.  There is NO way to figure out anything based in what you have anymore.  These made up figures and algorithms for pen and what not are just fantasy now.   I know,   it's a computer game.   

2. Win rate and team make up:  This is utter fantasy for a number of reasons.  I'm on so many losing teams its mathematically impossible.  I can't imagine how the game does all this,  but it does.  In a game like this you expect to progress and get better.   Not so in WOT.   The more you progress, the worse it gets.  There will be people that say,   play better, do your part, and blah blah blah.  Fact is,  I DO my part.   I do MORE than my part.   

With 15 people on a team,  you are responsible for at best, 15% of what the team does.   That's it.   Simple math.  IF you just do 6.6 % you are doing your share in most cases.   Doing YOUR hit points in damage is  a great goal to support your team. So what's the problem? How come I'm on more losing teams now than when I first started?  Just today, I've been on 7 teams and only on 2 winning teams.  This is actually better than usual.  28%  wnr today.  I have many days of 12% or so. 

I start the vast majority,   and I mean easily 90-95% of   ALL games with negative hp's.  In other words.....my team has to take more hp's than we have. Much of this disparity is spectacular.  I've been on many many teams where the difference in HP's is 3000 or more.  That's equal to giving the enemy a 16th tank,   and making it a MAUS. 

Since the last upgrade, in particular, the win/loss stats are staggering.  I've been keeping a chart, and the number of near blowouts is amazing.   In other words.....MOST of the losses are gruesome,   2-15, 1-15, 4-15.   By the same token,  when I DO win a game.....it's a near blowout.   15-3, 15-4 etc.   You get the idea.  By my informal calculation,  I'm only on a close, or competitive game about 1 out of 10 at best. 

And my so called wn8 score is not at all an accurate representation of how I normally do now.  My wn8 has been progressing slowly lately because my clan has taught me many tricks I didn't know.   Having said that,   people that re roll, use cheats or WAR PACK are a huge problem,   and getting even bigger.  So much so that many of my friends of left the game because they don't want to pay for war pack to be competitive. 

3. Fast light tanks:   This has contributed greatly to the degradation of the game.    The reason is linked to number 1 above.  None of these fast light tanks are based in any sort of reality.  They are total fantasy.  Driving those like in the game would kill the crew.  The mechanics of vehicles like the E25 and Sheridan and others is pure make believe.  There is no difference between driving an E25 and playing Mario Kart.   The only thing missing from the E25, and others, is the big mario head on top.  I would suggest that if this is what you want to do,   then go play Mario Kart. 

This game used to be more of a strategy and thinking mans game.   Something older people kind of enjoyed.   But that has gone away.  Between the insane vision mechanics, light tanks, and totally bizarre pen and gun stats nothing makes sense anymore.  It is getting more Mario kartish by the day.   

This game used to have two NA servers and 2 years ago, it was common to have 40,000 to 80,000 players on.   Now, with only one NA server,   It averages about 18000 to 22000 players.  LATAM only gets about 3000 players.   Those are huge drops in players.  

I'm not ready to say the game is dead, but it certainly isn't helping itself.   A strong coterie of players willing to spend money can keep it afloat,  but many are simply cutting their losses. 

vinnybagadonuts #2 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:36

Captain

• Players
  • 28583 battles
tl;dr

CynicalDutchie #3 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:37

Major

• Players
  • 40609 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

NA never had 80k players.

Also, Light tanks are a problem? They are the weakest class besides arty.

ammo_magnet #4 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31373 battles

"it was common to have 40,000 to 80,000 players on"

They always lie like this LOL

They(people complaining about the game) said exact same thing(we use to have 40,000 to 80,000 players and game is dying)  when you started to play  :teethhappy:

Edited by ammo_magnet, Jan 10 2018 - 22:40.

TeaTimeWithKongou #5 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8463 battles
Um it's not a Sim game... And it's rng based...

heavymetal1967 #6 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:41

Major

• Players
  • 65268 battles
Lol at all these game is dying posts and their bloated server numbers of yore.

rufus374 #7 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7065 battles

View PostCynicalDutchie, on Jan 10 2018 - 15:37, said:

NA never had 80k players.

Also, Light tanks are a problem? They are the weakest class besides arty.

C'mon.  You' know by now that this kind of hyperbolic BS about player population is the first crutch of the WoT Doomsday Cult.  They keep spouting it over and over, despite being shown ACTUAL DATA repeatedly that debunks their myth.

rufus374 #8 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7065 battles

View Postheavymetal1967, on Jan 10 2018 - 15:41, said:

Lol at all these game is dying posts and their bloated server numbers of yore.

Really.  I'd like to know who spiked their holiday drinks to make all these lunatics all come out at once to spout their nonsense.  Maybe they think that if they all shout in unison it will somehow make their myths a reality.

chxrokee #9 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7245 battles
wow i think reading this post just made me lose 1k wn8

dominator_98 #10 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 20151 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
I honestly hope the NA server dies fast and hard. I want my EU transfer so I can play game modes that are dead here, like team battles. Then there’s the fact that EU has tournaments and more clans, which equals more clan activities.

rufus374 #11 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7065 battles

This is one of my posts from another (very similar) thread. 

How about we look at some ACTUAL DATA?  Found the site below with less than 5 minutes research.

https://stats.wotapi.../wot/na/NA EAST

https://stats.wotapi.../wot/na/NA WEST

https://stats.wotapi...tats/wot/na/303

Quick summary for each server (period is 1 Mar 17 - to 30 Aug 17 when East/West went Offline and nicely correlates to your time in the game):

East average players online per 24 hrs: 9,866

East max players online at one time: 22,393 (24 Mar 17)

West average players online per 24 hrs: 4,184

West max players online at one time: 10,270 (5 Mar 17)  Note:  I am discounting the apparent anomaly of 13,333 on 22 June 17, as the East server only had a population of 615 at that same time.

East/West average players:  14,050

Central average server since it went online: 13,233

For the peak East population date/time, West had 7,323 online for a total online population of 29,716 players

For the peak West population date/time, East had 18,595 online for a total online population of 28,865 players

​Max peak online population for Central server to date is 27,968 players

So, while there has been about a 5.8% decrease in average players, there is no evidence that the numbers are dropping precipitously, as many would claim.

ISNomads #12 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:49

Major

• Players
  • 34365 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

To the OP:

Wow, that was a lot of words Chicken Little.

ImaKillYou #13 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:49

Captain

• Players
  • 26955 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT

Where do these people get these numbers from?  NA server has NEVER, EVER had 80k. In the 6+ years I've played I've seen over 40k once or twice.This game has NEVER, EVER had a base in reality.

Try learning some game mechanics.  Try to learn where the weak points are on a sherman...HINT..It ain't that huge armored turret....

T2Easy4ME #14 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 117 battles
It's actually really sad. I remember one weekend seeing 150,000 people online on NA West. Queued up, there were 11,500 people in queue. Crazy how dead this game is now. 

ImaKillYou #15 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:52

Captain

• Players
  • 26955 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT
And then we have trolls like the above......

Komitadjie #16 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles
Seems fairly alive to me, albeit definitely well into middle age, in game terms.  Population is slowly in decline, like you'd expect from a game that's quite old, but relatively stable.  Game admins are still active and working on the game (for better or worse) and there's no shortage of matches.

Seems fairly solid to me, anyway. Nothing unusual for an older game.

_Tsavo_ #17 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 41933 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

It's been a long while since we've had anywhere near that many players online.

As for the rest, it sounds like you've stopped base camping and started being active, but still have a lot to learn.  Hopefully you'll continue to learn and improve, though most of what I've seen and read, there's still room for the paradigm to shift.

Sgt__Guffy #18 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

View PostWoebegoneslug, on Jan 10 2018 - 15:34, said:

I have been on  for just over two years.  I learned this game the hard way.  Playing all the low tanks,  grinding, not knowing what I was doing and making a lot of mistakes. 

The forum posts are mostly complaints now.   Anecdotal experience tells me this wasn't always the case.  There used to be actual productive discussion here. Now its all BS,  that is because the game is going downhill.....and fast. 

1. Game used to have a base in reality:  By that,   a 120 mm gun was powerful and you could expect it to do a certain amount of damage.  Not so anymore.  Whatever size gun you have in this game is pretty much a mystery.  ie,   I shot a Sherman three times with my Tiger II, 8.8 shooting APCR and did no damage, and no pen.   He killed my Tiger in three shots.   This in reality is utterly impossible.  So impossible it's getting pathetic.  Just today, in my tier 9 M103 with the 120 mm shooting APCR, I hit a KV 4 tier 8 twice in the side hull where the ammo is and got no pen.  He penned my front twice.  wth?   This isn't just occasionally, it's all the time now.  There is NO way to figure out anything based in what you have anymore.  These made up figures and algorithms for pen and what not are just fantasy now.   I know,   it's a computer game.   

2. Win rate and team make up:  This is utter fantasy for a number of reasons.  I'm on so many losing teams its mathematically impossible.  I can't imagine how the game does all this,  but it does.  In a game like this you expect to progress and get better.   Not so in WOT.   The more you progress, the worse it gets.  There will be people that say,   play better, do your part, and blah blah blah.  Fact is,  I DO my part.   I do MORE than my part.   

With 15 people on a team,  you are responsible for at best, 15% of what the team does.   That's it.   Simple math.  IF you just do 6.6 % you are doing your share in most cases.   Doing YOUR hit points in damage is  a great goal to support your team. So what's the problem? How come I'm on more losing teams now than when I first started?  Just today, I've been on 7 teams and only on 2 winning teams.  This is actually better than usual.  28%  wnr today.  I have many days of 12% or so. 

I start the vast majority,   and I mean easily 90-95% of   ALL games with negative hp's.  In other words.....my team has to take more hp's than we have. Much of this disparity is spectacular.  I've been on many many teams where the difference in HP's is 3000 or more.  That's equal to giving the enemy a 16th tank,   and making it a MAUS. 

Since the last upgrade, in particular, the win/loss stats are staggering.  I've been keeping a chart, and the number of near blowouts is amazing.   In other words.....MOST of the losses are gruesome,   2-15, 1-15, 4-15.   By the same token,  when I DO win a game.....it's a near blowout.   15-3, 15-4 etc.   You get the idea.  By my informal calculation,  I'm only on a close, or competitive game about 1 out of 10 at best. 

And my so called wn8 score is not at all an accurate representation of how I normally do now.  My wn8 has been progressing slowly lately because my clan has taught me many tricks I didn't know.   Having said that,   people that re roll, use cheats or WAR PACK are a huge problem,   and getting even bigger.  So much so that many of my friends of left the game because they don't want to pay for war pack to be competitive. 

3. Fast light tanks:   This has contributed greatly to the degradation of the game.    The reason is linked to number 1 above.  None of these fast light tanks are based in any sort of reality.  They are total fantasy.  Driving those like in the game would kill the crew.  The mechanics of vehicles like the E25 and Sheridan and others is pure make believe.  There is no difference between driving an E25 and playing Mario Kart.   The only thing missing from the E25, and others, is the big mario head on top.  I would suggest that if this is what you want to do,   then go play Mario Kart. 

This game used to be more of a strategy and thinking mans game.   Something older people kind of enjoyed.   But that has gone away.  Between the insane vision mechanics, light tanks, and totally bizarre pen and gun stats nothing makes sense anymore.  It is getting more Mario kartish by the day.   

This game used to have two NA servers and 2 years ago, it was common to have 40,000 to 80,000 players on.   Now, with only one NA server,   It averages about 18000 to 22000 players.  LATAM only gets about 3000 players.   Those are huge drops in players.  

I'm not ready to say the game is dead, but it certainly isn't helping itself.   A strong coterie of players willing to spend money can keep it afloat,  but many are simply cutting their losses. 

To be fair to the OP he has a point. I have not played on the NA server that long, so it seems his statistics on the NA population would equate it with the EU server, and that has a large playerbase. I don't know. The game has changed, not for the better sadly and it has attracted a new type of player. There are die hard players like me who have played for several years, but a lot of my comrades have long gone.  

It was indeed more tactical and mistakes were due to tactical errors by both the team or an individual player, and you paid the price for that error. Now WG have converted it into an arcade game with "shoot 'em up" for lower tiers and brawling for the upper tiers. The vehicles necessary have been neatly packaged up for the purpose of.

A sign of the times and WG worshipping the cash cow. What remains of the old guard, play in their comfort zones, or just "play the game" and say sod the statistics, that is for the new type of player.

Take it one game at a time and accept things change. 

There is always Tiddywinks.

Have fun,

Guffy.

Duqe #19 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 26088 battles
  • [BERT] BERT

View PostWoebegoneslug, on Jan 10 2018 - 22:34, said:

tl;dr

People have been posting threads about how they game is dying since 2012.

F_Type #20 Posted Jan 10 2018 - 22:54

Captain

• Players
  • 17699 battles

This game is not supposed to be crazy realistic, its an arcade game so don't expect realism.

But yes the game is heading in a downward trend.

Edited by F_Type, Jan 10 2018 - 22:55.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users