Light tanks are broken

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Harbinger1 #1 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10357 battles
  • [O-C] O-C

I can tolerate the lower alpha, higher reload and lower ammo count than meds in my light tank..i really can. spotting should be your main role, and you are supposed to be fast so you can get away. Here's the problem though...you have lower base view range than some tier 8 tanks... (at tier x). The other problem is that ya, they are fast..but they roll over WAY WAY to easily. I was just running away from 2 tanks in my RHM...lightly touched the edge of a very slight hill and the tank started to roll (so i tried to slow down and go in the opposite direction a little bit)...what happened...i flipped over the other way..completely and died. this type of crap happens so much in light tanks that i just can't enjoy them...unless it's the tier 7/8 french lights which don't seem to flip as much. 

Honestly, it really feels like tier x lights are just unplayable...the crappy pen, crap ammo loadout, crap gun handling, high reload and low alpha are all bad enough..but when added with crap view range and stupid tipping mechanics just ruin them. I seriously wished i hadn't bothered going through the line. The tier 9 light tank is arguably better than the tier x. 

The only things the RHM has going for it are speed and view range. Speed advantage is somewhat negated however when you can barely juke (trying to avoid enemy fire) or touch any type of depression/elevation which flips your tank over and loses you the game. 

HisNameWasSethRich #2 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14160 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
Learn how to drive and Spam HEAT. Easy. 

Aknazer #3 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:56

Major

• Players
  • 18354 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

View PostHisNameWasSethRich, on Jan 11 2018 - 01:51, said:

Learn how to drive and Spam HEAT. Easy. 

Doesn't change the fact that LTs very much have multiple issues, especially the T10s.

Zippit #4 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:56

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18097 battles
Try the T100, thing skids and flips xD

Knagar #5 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19850 battles
Well we have different views on broken. I personally think they are over powered, but for all of the wrong reasons. As you pointed out, they have awful view range, but they are no stranger to top damage and top kills during matches. To me that isn't acceptable for a light tank, top kills maybe, if they do a lot of mop up. I think a lot of that is down to the poor view range, if you can't be of use at one thing, be of use at another, and if zipping around getting mass amounts of damage and kills is all you can do, git er done I guess.

Feargrim27 #6 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11370 battles
  • [H4CKS] H4CKS

I do wish your title was most specific, I almost thought this was a whine thread.

If you are specifically talking about Tier X, then you are onto something. After the test, WG felt they were too "OP" and nerfed them before introduction. They gave their explanation on the website and many players felt the explanation was ironic, the underlying factor was view range, WG felt their significant view range "undermined the role of medium tanks". Isn't that nuts? Nerfed the hell out of the view range. 

In the end their logic might have not been wrong but the reasoning was. If a light can damage it's own target reliably and out-spot those targets... then they are OP. Light tanks are to fill the "scout" role and spot for the team, and flank, or "suppress" or even be a cockroach where possible.

I disagree with somethings though, the guns are ok, Lights are meant to have amaze-balls accurate guns. The gun handling when I tested all Tier X (post nerf) tanks was actually pretty good. Pen is lacking but then again you shouldn't be able to pen a heavy frontally anyway. They do need a DPM increase and high shell capacity. All in all, they are mediocre at best (all of them) which is why they are rarely seen in-game, most players don't like them. I opted to go for the T-100 because of it's speed but I do feel tier for tier the T-54 Lightweight is far superior. 

Edited by Feargrim27, Jan 11 2018 - 02:00.

HisNameWasSethRich #7 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 01:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14160 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

View PostAknazer, on Jan 10 2018 - 19:56, said:

Doesn't change the fact that LTs very much have multiple issues, especially the T10s.

Only issue I have in my WZ-132 is the bad DPM

Zippit #8 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:00

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18097 battles
One of the best things as a T10 LT, is running through a flank and cleaning up low HP slow tanks, it's great

HunterGamer #9 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4661 battles
  • [TTP] TTP
then play like lemmingrush

KillerKoala_1995 #10 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19767 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
Absolutely agree. With corridors maps, few places to hide and bad viewrange they can be difficult to play.  I'm staying away from tier 10 lwt's myself.  However when things do go right they are a ton of fun.

Edited by KillerKoala_1995, Jan 11 2018 - 02:09.

WangOnTheLoose #11 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24287 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
Physics is all kinds of stupid in this game right now.  Especially bad with light tanks.

Haruhi_Suzumiya_ #12 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:11

Major

• Players
  • 33119 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostHunterGamer, on Jan 11 2018 - 02:03, said:

then play like lemmingrush

You cannot simply copy how others play and he isn't the only one to play like that. And yeah Pzw flips too damn easy, as if small maps limiting movement wasn't enough even a little car bump can send you off to Valhalla if you dare press on the A or D keys.  

Metagross555 #13 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 27724 battles
  • [_FAM_] _FAM_

From my experience they're ok, need some buffs.

But the main issue I have with the Rhm. Pzw. and Sheridan are how easily they roll over, they seem so top heavy.

Hurk #14 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:20

Major

• Players
  • 49384 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostHisNameWasSethRich, on Jan 10 2018 - 17:59, said:

Only issue I have in my WZ-132 is the bad DPM

and that they are all worse than the t-54 ltwt. cause stallinium armor > all. 

SturmEnte #15 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28604 battles

I wouldn't limit it to just tier 10s.  My enjoyment of lights stops after tier 6.  There are many issues causing this.  One of the biggest is the lack of an advantage in spotting.

Spotting was the main point of light tanks.  The maps are so small and view ranges so high that after tier 6 a lot of tanks can start spotting for themselves.  Even on maps like Prokorovka lights have a hard time spotting for more than some mediums and even heavies.  This is because while the light is surfing the middle ridge lighting up targets momentarily the mediums and heavies can go hull down and spot targets while bouncing shots.  They can spend more time spotting instead of having to dodge and weave in and out of cover.  Note that this applies to many other maps as well.

There is a lot more to the problem with lights in the current meta of the game as well as other issues but the TL;DR version is that lights have lost their original purpose.

Edited by SturmEnte, Jan 11 2018 - 02:22.

Flarvin #16 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 02:25

Major

• Players
  • 49607 battles
I have no problem scouting in lights. 

Plays_With_Matches #17 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 03:10

Major

• Players
  • 27137 battles
  • [K-H] K-H
I am kind of hoping the long term plan at war gaming with these light tank changes is larger maps where lights can really shine. The larger maps on grand battles is a pretty good example of where lights can use their mobility and view range to really help the team. Playing a tier 10 light on Ensk really sucks [edited]

leeuniverse #18 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 03:32

Major

• Players
  • 31437 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

I'm a Light player.... mainly because they are the last class that isn't mostly SHIP now!

Prior to the PHysics NERF 2 whatever years ago, MANY more tanks had decent speeds, there were many mediums that I wanted to get, had them or played them on test server and I was longing for them.  Anyway, the speed nerfs to all tanks of the game also affected lights, and yes, HATE the physics, the constant flipping, the driving up rocks when you're simply turning around throwing your gun out of position etc.  Anyway, they nerfed light speeds also and it's irritating.

Then you have the new "stun".... a clear frak off to the playerbase by Wargaming because we wanted arty to do lower shots, so they thought, how else can we screw the players then "pretending" to give them what they want, oh, let's add STUN, completely disabling tanks for 15 sec's thus likely getting you killed, and it's suck for light tanks, especially cause they are so slow on the LOW end (aka power) when you are "trying" to avoid being shot.

I'm with you OP.....  However, I differ in I do think the T10 lights perform well enough, save the Sheridan with Derp, not happy with it's performance.

The only thing I might agree with is the T-100 didn't really need a DPM buff, it needed a better accurate gun, that thing shoots wild.  But still, I like the PZ and T-100.

Oh, I also think the new French Light needs one more round in it's auto-loader given how inaccurate it is.  3 rounds you'll likely miss 2 of the 3, so that tank sucks in my view.  With the Batchat you get 5 so you can at least hit some, though it sucks now too, it's speed terrible now.

Also forgot to say that the T9 Ru is still enjoyable.  I might actually like it more than the T10.  Maybe it's because of it's wider wheelbase or something, so seems more stable in performing.  I've never really played the Russian T9, maybe reminds me too much of a med, though who knows, maybe I'll try it one of these days.

_Tsavo #19 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 03:41

Major

• Players
  • 39770 battles

There's a coupla tier ten lights I'm slowly grinding towards and the Sheridan is nice with the 105, but I gotta say I enjoy the tier 9 lights more so far.  The T49 feels right with the 152 but on the Sheridan it's a lackluster gun but the alternative is a nice, meaty gun.

Still, given a choice between the two, I'm likely to bring the T49 out for maximum derpage over the Sheridan because LOLDERPS are what makes me giggle.

Aknazer #20 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 04:08

Major

• Players
  • 18354 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

View PostKnagar, on Jan 11 2018 - 01:58, said:

Well we have different views on broken. I personally think they are over powered, but for all of the wrong reasons. As you pointed out, they have awful view range, but they are no stranger to top damage and top kills during matches. To me that isn't acceptable for a light tank, top kills maybe, if they do a lot of mop up. I think a lot of that is down to the poor view range, if you can't be of use at one thing, be of use at another, and if zipping around getting mass amounts of damage and kills is all you can do, git er done I guess.

In order for an LT to do damage they have to either be flanking or be targeting paper-thin tanks (talking stuff like the Grille 15 line).  If they're flanking then they're playing well or the enemy is playing poorly and needlessly giving up their side.  They're going to have plenty of issues penning a lot of targets from the front, while said targets can just point-and-click the LT.

And really they ARE a stranger to top damage and kills, especially since the changes that nerfed a lot of their pen and all of their accuracy (minus premiums).  Sure it can happen but it is by no means a common occurrence. Likewise there's no reason for any tank to not be able to reasonably deal damage.  HTs leverage their health+armor.  Meds have decent DPM and flank.  TDs...well are all over the place but generally have high alpha and pen.  LTs have speed and VR.  Arty have HE and indirect fire.  There's no reason why any tank class shouldn't be able to do reasonable damage in the right situations and this includes LTs.

If anything I think the bigger issue for you is that the majority of tanks don't bother with VR as they would rather increase their DPM (to include gun handling).  Thus when a tank who focuses on VR is then able to leverage that naturally they win.  You forget about all the times where your superior DPM lets you win the engagement.  You also choose to not bother improving your VR/camo but then complain when said choice costs you the engagement.  LTs generally have middling to poor DPM compared to meds of the same tier (there can be exceptions or depending on the target the pen differences might not matter, etc) while only having slightly better camo and VR (again there are exceptions).  If meds and HTs were to bother with just optics they would have a reasonable chance of spotting LTs on plenty of maps where they don't already do so (and given the size of maps they already reasonably spot LTs in the majority of situations).  If meds were to take both Optics and Camo (like LTs are already expected to do!) then they could give LTs a reasonable run for their money and GREATLY shrink the VR gap between them...but they don't.  And then they complain about losing the VR game.  I'm sorry but that's on them and their willful choices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users