Why YOU lose, why I'm tired of carrying, and other ramblings from a pretty good night...

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

diego999 #41 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 23:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 31171 battles
  • [-4K-] -4K-
Remember, this is the same dude who plays his E3, does 2 shots worth of damage per match, then complain on the forums about "rigged MM" because he's totally carrying his weight.

steelandpain #42 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 00:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9553 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA

I won't hate on you OP, there is plenty of that already, but you do come off as a bit of a gasbag.

Anyway, focusing on your advice, I don't like the idea of playing only the best tanks, unless stats are your primary objective. If fact, I think it sucks that it takes so much time to unlock higher tier tanks, I think it would be great if everyone could play higher tier for a few matches per day, in a tank of their choosing, it would bring more players to the game and keep players interested, because the grind is the worst thing about this game, aside from the stuff you see in every other online game, like people hating on each other for stupid reasons. Playing a variety of tanks and trying to figure them out is more fun, even if some of them are worse then others. After I started looking at my stats (I didn't even know what WN8 was for most of my WOT tenure), I actually don't enjoy the game as much, and I often have to remind myself to just enjoy the process.

As for everything else, it's been said many times already, and I agree with it, taking time to learn and practice will make the game more enjoyable, but it does take a considerable amount of time, which some players don't have. I think it's fine for some players to just spend a bit of time playing the game, unwinding after work, or similar, and moving on. For some, this is just a way to pass the time, and I don't see why competitive players don't get that.

Firemoth #43 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:37

Major

• Players
  • 36100 battles

View PostSgt__Guffy, on Jan 12 2018 - 07:08, said:

You don't have to play high tiers to give advice on how to win. Playing high tiers is no indication of skill in this game. 

What part of the OP's advice do you disagree with? Please give us the benefit of your elitist know it all experiences.

the OP is proven to whine and complain about being in the 'loser bracket' of MM when playing high tiers, even though he just camps all day at the back, does less than his tanks HP of damage and generally cant read a game situation if his life relied on it.

Sgt__Guffy #44 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 03:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2870 battles

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Jan 11 2018 - 15:38, said:

Playing low tiers is 0 indication of player skill. Me loading up my Type 64,Thunder Bolt or Cromwell B with 4 skill crews and taking advantage of low tier players with 50% crews, no equipment, little to no premium ammo takes very little skill on my part. At low tiers because the player skill isn't there you are able to make mistakes and not get punished heavily for them. You make a bad poke in tier 6 most players can't take advantage of that. In tier 9 and 10 you make a bad poke you lose a significant [edited]of HP. At tier 6 or lower you can abuse vision mechanics and simply farm players who don't know where they are getting shot from. By tier 9/10 most people have a basic understanding of vision mechanics. 

There are so many differences between low and mid tiers then tier 9/10. Making the jump from tier 8 to 9 is huge and the jump from tier 9 to tier 10 is even bigger. But getting at least somewhat decent(52% WR+) at tier 10 will really help you become a better all around player at all tiers. 

First, I apologise for calling you an elitist. You took the time to explain the OP's motivations and the benefits of playing high tier and I respect you for that.

Second, whilst I might not agree with everything you stated, there are players who just choose to play lower mid tier as there is no incentive to play high tier. The reason is, average joe players like myself don't like the game play. It is also expensive, in many respects high tier is not worth the investment, as playing lower tier is much cheaper. High tier is more predictable, mainly brawling, and to be honest the "basic understanding" is all you need, not only vision mechanics, but where to be on the map, where to shoot and when to shoot.  It gets to the point that gaining such knowledge enables you to sit in your comfort zone and rake in credits to the point that it is just a routine. Even if you lose you can reach a level of competence to rack up a healthy amount of credits.

You cannot do that in the lower tiers because game play is more unpredictable. Now, it could be argued that there is more team play in the high tiers. There is, in as much that the type of game play, especially with heavies, demands it. So again the routine element is triggered largely because the enemy will do what you expect them to do and the encounter has a predictable element. To that extent there is a certain amount of BS. Also, not all high tier players are particularly skilled and better players take advantage of that, as they would in any tier.

Having played team battles, I know higher tier gameplay requires discipline and concentration and not everyone can sustain that, even if they wanted to. For my part I'm too much of a maverick anyway. 

So as an alternative approach, if curiosity gets the better of me, I tend to go on the test server. I have high enough tiers to upgrade so I can play tier nine and ten. It is a pity more players don't take advantage of the test server, but I have an EU account. You have to play tier eight or above or you won't get a game. Those with accounts on other servers might have a problem. You do really need an EU account.

In fairness I don't really know the OP, I go by the statements he made opening the thread  which brought about my sarcastic response from the Book of Armaments. So to a certain extent we are in agreement. My feathers got ruffled when I read your dismissive comment which I thought unfair and I do not like the snobbery, which players who play top tiers tend to manifest on we mere mortals.  

Have fun, whatever tier you play.

Guffy.

Edited by Sgt__Guffy, Jan 12 2018 - 03:29.

Sgt__Guffy #45 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 03:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2870 battles

View Postshooting_Blanks9, on Jan 11 2018 - 20:33, said:

I am posting this merely to put a warning out to all players, however mostly pertaining to moderate to good and unicom players as these will be the ones impacted by this the most. It has come to my attention recently ( about six months of observation and graphing) that you should be aware of a more recent trend from wargamings algorithms.
please pay attention to your hit rates, and continue to observe them in long durations as I am gathering the notion that this may be a new ploy to knock back the better class of players (yet again), as I have been watching my hit rate drop almost an entire percent over the last six months and it is still continuing to drop ever so slowly, but steadily.
I am at the point of seeing my averages of 40-60% are continually plaguing me, I have even slowed down my shooting and waited for better shot placements with virtually little change in numbers I am noticing my spreads are going everywhere but where I am actually focused on, and the dispersion means absolutely nothing, like so many other numbers they post.
I was almost at a 65% rate and now getting driven down to under 64%. Although this is a clever scam, and who is really paying attention long term to their hit rates?
So please all of you start watching for this as I am certain a very small percentage of people are getting hit with this, However please be vigilant and spread the word, and let wargaming know if this is happening to you!!!!

I've noticed hit rates dropping, but thought it was just me! :amazed:

cloudwalkr #46 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 04:13

Major

• Players
  • 53242 battles
  • [SYNGZ] SYNGZ

View Post_Gungrave_, on Jan 11 2018 - 13:01, said:

Check OP's stats...most of his matches are in lower tier tanks.

Very few people are going to take you seriously OP when you pad that much.

It should take people about 5min to realize budha isn't someone to take seriously.  Sure you can learn stuff from him, but you can also learn stuff from a moron walking into a door. 

View PostClutchPin, on Jan 11 2018 - 13:09, said:

Dang, so much good premise when I saw the intro. 15-2 w/r different maps.  I am ready to learn! Nope T67 seal clubbing all the way.  Please go away, no one cares about how well you did in a seal clubber.

That's budha's MO.  He comes off as someone with factual evidence backing himself up until you look further and realize he's just a seal clubber that ilkes to complain about no skill at tier 4.

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Jan 11 2018 - 13:11, said:

Please provide a guide based around higher tier tanks. Any one above scrub level can carry in a t67.

He can't do that.  I've played against him at higher tiers when he has actually tried it and he's not one you want to follow in terms of a guide at high tier.   Tier 5's, i bet his guides are alright.

Those guides are out there though and if you would like help finding some of them pm me and I'll try and link some.

Kerosedge #47 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 04:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19254 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ

Can't take advice form a guy who only drives OP/low tier tanks. Sry mag.

o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7 #48 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 06:15

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 423 battles
  • [ITDED] ITDED
some say... carrying in the t67 is like getting 25% wr in any tier 10. but for us to confirm this, buddha has to actually get to tier 10 first. we await.

SoTrue #49 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 07:53

Major

• Players
  • 26203 battles

View Postmadgiecool, on Jan 11 2018 - 12:19, said:

You missed his T18

:playing:

So do I... that tank was the definition of 'fun'...  Sigh...

View PostSgt__Guffy, on Jan 11 2018 - 13:08, said:

You don't have to play high tiers to give advice on how to win. Playing high tiers is no indication of skill in this game.

What part of the OP's advice do you disagree with? Please give us the benefit of your elitist know it all experiences.

I know right?  They bash my stats, but not one of them really points out any better ways newer player could play.  They certainly haven't taken the time to post their 'how to' videos.

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Jan 11 2018 - 13:38, said:

Playing low tiers is 0 indication of player skill. Me loading up my Type 64,Thunder Bolt or Cromwell B with 4 skill crews and taking advantage of low tier players with 50% crews, no equipment, little to no premium ammo takes very little skill on my part. At low tiers because the player skill isn't there you are able to make mistakes and not get punished heavily for them. You make a bad poke in tier 6 most players can't take advantage of that. In tier 9 and 10 you make a bad poke you lose a significant [edited]of HP. At tier 6 or lower you can abuse vision mechanics and simply farm players who don't know where they are getting shot from. By tier 9/10 most people have a basic understanding of vision mechanics.

There are so many differences between low and mid tiers then tier 9/10. Making the jump from tier 8 to 9 is huge and the jump from tier 9 to tier 10 is even bigger. But getting at least somewhat decent(52% WR+) at tier 10 will really help you become a better all around player at all tiers.

Actually, there really isn't much difference in gameplay between tiers IN TERMS OF TEAM SKILL.  MM does not factor in player skill at any tier.  So getting a 'tomato team' can happen and tier 5 just as easily as at tier 10.  Look at the following tier 10 battle.  They had FOUR GREEN players to our ONE PURPLE, TWO BLUE, AND FIVE GREEN players.  Wanna guess how it ends???  So yeah, you can load up your CromB with fancy crew and equipment, but you NEED TO too complete with the MM giving you a tomato team.  Oh, people do the same thing at tier 10.  They drive the best tier 10 tanks, the have the best equipment, the best crews, and they TOON with other very good players.  How is the red tier 10 driver going to compete with that any better than your CromB?  Actually, I'll tell you how, losing at tier 6 is was less costly than losing at tier 10.  To prove my point is more valid than yours, tell me how much my 'skill' mattered in this game....

-

SoTrue #50 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 08:05

Major

• Players
  • 26203 battles

View Poststeelandpain, on Jan 11 2018 - 15:17, said:

I won't hate on you OP, there is plenty of that already, but you do come off as a bit of a gasbag.

Anyway, focusing on your advice, I don't like the idea of playing only the best tanks, unless stats are your primary objective. If fact, I think it sucks that it takes so much time to unlock higher tier tanks, I think it would be great if everyone could play higher tier for a few matches per day, in a tank of their choosing, it would bring more players to the game and keep players interested, because the grind is the worst thing about this game, aside from the stuff you see in every other online game, like people hating on each other for stupid reasons. Playing a variety of tanks and trying to figure them out is more fun, even if some of them are worse then others. After I started looking at my stats (I didn't even know what WN8 was for most of my WOT tenure), I actually don't enjoy the game as much, and I often have to remind myself to just enjoy the process.

As for everything else, it's been said many times already, and I agree with it, taking time to learn and practice will make the game more enjoyable, but it does take a considerable amount of time, which some players don't have. I think it's fine for some players to just spend a bit of time playing the game, unwinding after work, or similar, and moving on. For some, this is just a way to pass the time, and I don't see why competitive players don't get that.

First off, thanks for an actual response that's about the op.  (minus the gasbag comment).  I do agree 'grinding' sucks.  But that's part of my advice.  Drive only the good tanks.  This is especially important if you have to grind to get to the good tank.  You wouldn't want to grind all the way to tier 10 only to find out the tier 10 you chose is a dud would you?  Also, drive only the good tanks, isn't limited to low, mid, or high tiers.  Every tier level has a couple of tanks that just seem to do better than others in the current meta.  I hate to see players playing tons in the M3Lee, I can imagine we lost a good chunk of possible player base to players who played that tank and said 'no more'.  As for your stats bringing you down, they shouldn't.  I mean it's a way to enjoy the game in a competitive way.  I have found that focusing on ways to improve my stats has made the game more enjoyable.  For example, in the old days I'd get put on a real 'special' team.  I would be super frustrated, and it wasn't enjoyable.  But then I did some youtube homework.  Watched how some of the 'pro' players handled really bad teams.  I learned from them.  Now when I get a really bad team I use their methods to make the most of it.  Sometimes I even pull off a huge upset/have a great carry.  Most of the rest of the time, I've learned how to stay alive and farm damage, xp, and silver.  Much less stressful.

SoTrue #51 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 08:09

Major

• Players
  • 26203 battles

View Posto7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7, on Jan 11 2018 - 21:15, said:

some say... carrying in the t67 is like getting 25% wr in any tier 10. but for us to confirm this, buddha has to actually get to tier 10 first. we await.

Wait no longer...

o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7 #52 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 09:26

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 423 battles
  • [ITDED] ITDED

View Postbikebudha1, on Jan 12 2018 - 08:09, said:

Wait no longer...

you pushed into the 69 exposing your entire tank [edited]first into one of hte most common and expected enemy fire channels on this whole map.

i stopped watching there.  and dont even try to tell me you "knew" there was nothing there. from experience i will tell you there is no way for you to know this. 

Firemoth #53 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 09:51

Major

• Players
  • 36100 battles

View Postbikebudha1, on Jan 12 2018 - 17:09, said:

Wait no longer...

my question:

how much damage would you have done if that T10 had killed you instead of rushing the shot and bouncing. because you are basically promoting trading 95% of your HP to kill a tier 8 then relying entirely on luck to not die.

Edited by Firemoth, Jan 12 2018 - 09:52.

diego999 #54 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 12:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 31171 battles
  • [-4K-] -4K-
You killed a tier 8 with a tier 10? Amazing dude, simply amazing.

Reichpapers #55 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 16:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21485 battles
  • [SPDA] SPDA
Don't listen to the hand wringers.  Play whatever you want.  There is no rule that says you have to stay Tier 8-10 once you get there.  This game is about having fun (with a competitive edge).  There are great tanks spread through all of the tiers.  If you like that tier 5 tank, have fun.  I have over 452 tanks.  If I decided to take my Luch's or PzJg I out for a spin, I'll be damned if I care what you think.

Schoppen_Aas #56 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 16:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37677 battles
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH
Stopped reading when it started to go T67 so it was a short read

Elusive89 #57 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 16:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25139 battles
  • [MOOGS] MOOGS

View Postbikebudha1, on Jan 12 2018 - 07:09, said:

Wait no longer...

Synopsis of this replay:

- Overextends into the city with only one teammate even remotely close that could help you out.

- Yolo's a tier 8, exposing the rear of your tank to one of the most frequently traveled routes by the enemy, of which you have no idea of who might be there. Incredibly, the T57 and T54E1 that were there somehow managed to not destroy you.

- Lose 90%+ of your HP in the opening moments of the battle, get saved by the troll armor of the IS-7, and proceed to fire several very poorly aimed shots at tanks you shouldn't be bouncing off of. Go study the T69/T54E1/T57 armor layout.

This should be titled "Sometimes I think I know what I'm doing, make several poor decisions, and get lucky with a team that can pull it together to win..."

steelandpain #58 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 18:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9553 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA

View Postbikebudha1, on Jan 12 2018 - 08:05, said:

First off, thanks for an actual response that's about the op.  (minus the gasbag comment).  I do agree 'grinding' sucks.  But that's part of my advice.  Drive only the good tanks.  This is especially important if you have to grind to get to the good tank.  You wouldn't want to grind all the way to tier 10 only to find out the tier 10 you chose is a dud would you?  Also, drive only the good tanks, isn't limited to low, mid, or high tiers.  Every tier level has a couple of tanks that just seem to do better than others in the current meta.  I hate to see players playing tons in the M3Lee, I can imagine we lost a good chunk of possible player base to players who played that tank and said 'no more'.  As for your stats bringing you down, they shouldn't.  I mean it's a way to enjoy the game in a competitive way.  I have found that focusing on ways to improve my stats has made the game more enjoyable.  For example, in the old days I'd get put on a real 'special' team.  I would be super frustrated, and it wasn't enjoyable.  But then I did some youtube homework.  Watched how some of the 'pro' players handled really bad teams.  I learned from them.  Now when I get a really bad team I use their methods to make the most of it.  Sometimes I even pull off a huge upset/have a great carry.  Most of the rest of the time, I've learned how to stay alive and farm damage, xp, and silver.  Much less stressful.

Stress usually comes from setting unrealistic or unsustainable goals. It's a shame that the game forces people to get to t10 to experience all the game has to offer (like maps and competitions), and that new players feel pressured to grind to higher tiers. Tiers are suppose to separate good players from the bad, but there are plenty of bad players at t10 (albeit far less than lower tiers). That said, I think the game is enjoyable at lower tiers, and given the availability of t8 premiums, you get access to most aspects of the game without stressing yourself out about having to grind higher tier tanks. My point is that WOT would be a much more welcoming place if veteran WOT players stop bashing new players or forcing them to get better instead of just letting them enjoy the game.

In general, I think it's important to acknowledge that there is no right or wrong way to enjoy this game. For example, I personally don't enjoy dominating lower tiers in OP tanks, I like higher tier skirmishes/strongholds and even random games, which are more interesting and challenging. Of course, no matter what you do, there will be people who will bash you. If you stay at lower tiers and play really well, people will call you a "seal clubber", if you move up and start making mistakes, people will call you a noob and ask you to uninstall or move to lower tiers. The best thing is to just enjoy the game, and ignore the haters.

With regards to your advice, I think you should preface it by explaining what you enjoy about the game and what your goals are. Clearly, you enjoy dominating at lower tiers and playing best tanks, so just state that upfront, and then share your experience/advice, but at the end of the day, it's just one perspective, and you shouldn't feel the need to defend it as better/worse than others.

Copacetic #59 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 20:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 38523 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

"of which you have no idea of who might be there. Incredibly, the T57 and T54E1 that were there somehow managed to not destroy you."

Sad thing is, looks like a minute before that the T57 got spotted and guess where it appears he was heading, that's right, 0 line road.

OP apparently forgot this or ignored it. No way you should ever pull out on that road especially azzbackwards.

Chalybos #60 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 21:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22499 battles

View Posto7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7o7, on Jan 12 2018 - 00:15, said:

Actually, he's already in tier 10.  See?

https://clantools.us...0454527&tier=10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users