should I stay or should I go!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

cocobabygirl #1 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7294 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Okay learning a little more, I see that waiting to see how field of tanks are playing and where they are concentrating is important to use your tank to the fullest ability.  How long do you wait to see this unfold before it's too late?  I find that in some cases we have the opponents tank outnumbered like 5-1 but no one pushes up to kill and it results in allowing the other team to regroup and send reinforcements and sometimes change the advantages on what our team had.  I know some outcomes won't change no matter what you do but some battles can change into a win with a strong and strategic ending.  I see lone wolves go far into map alone and than cry about no support,  or screaming for arty to kill all tanks it spots.  Anyways back to question at hand if your a light tank low tier in battle should you hang back to see what the setup is going to be?  Will this hurt your team if you don't start the spotting action?

TreadBreaker37 #2 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18976 battles
  • [FINE] FINE

Just pay attention to the map is the general rule. When scouting, don't get too far away from your teammates. If you spot a tank that is out of view range of your team it's not going to do any good unless arty happens to be focusing that area. When pushing a flank try not to trade unless you got a significant alpha advantage with your gun vs opponent. Work with your team to outnumber and get multiple shots to theirs. But mainly just think and be smart about what you are doing and keep an eye on that map.

Waifu_Pillow_Type_Of_Guy #3 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9389 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

So you got to let me know,
Should I stay or should I go?

PapioTitan #4 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 37466 battles

Spotters need to spot AND do their best to stay alive. Whether its early or a little later is map dependent. Going to the mid-line and then retreating to observe your teams deployment can also work. Play D also. Use your speed to fill gaps and watch for enemy scouts YOLOing to get your arty. All said, scouts should practice dynamic gameplay.

Generally, don't stop moving....

Edited by PapioTitan, Jan 11 2018 - 21:27.

heavymetal1967 #5 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 60973 battles

Beating Riff here. ;)

_Tsavo #6 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:57

Major

• Players
  • 38947 battles

Never wait in spawn to figure out where to go more than a second or three.  10 or more seconds and it's too late.

Where to go and what your game plan is should start once the match starts to load.  If you've got a fast computer, you'll get a brief moment of the team list, then you'll be spawned in and the 30 second counter probably hasn't started yet.  If it's a slower one, you'll see the team comp list while it's loading the map.  Either way, this is when you start your plans.  You know the map you'll be on, you'll know the competition, and you'll know what tiers and how many of each there are.

That alone should give you an idea of where to be going.  Once the match starts, start on your plan but have your minimap under scrutiny.  Take a look and adjust as needed from there.  Use that minimap to get a rough idea of who's on 1st and roll with it.  The better players are able to adapt and adjust this stuff on the fly, but there's plenty of time to get an idea of where to go and what to do during the loading time.

Also, remember, don't over think things.  This is a general idea and a general idea of what you'll encounter.  Don't plan in exact details for the match likely won't go as you want the moment contact happens.

Kyshaku #7 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15799 battles
  • [BAKED] BAKED
What _Tsavo said but remember one detail he left out, a scout still alive for the end game gives their team a huge advantage in vision control and mobility. Played properly that alone can win battles. Don't throw your life away and try to preserve hit points for when you need them later.

Beornotns #8 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 22160 battles
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-

Exactly as Tsavo says, have a plan percolating in your noggin while the countdown happens pre-match.  Map knowledge (and by extension, map placement and what tanks work best at what locations depending upon which spawn point is chosen at random and whether you are in a standard, encounter, or assault match) will come with practice, and while it IS true to remember to think, just don't sit there like the statue "The Thinker."

~Beorn (who was, and some would say still IS, atrocious at tanks for some years)

_Tsavo #9 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:10

Major

• Players
  • 38947 battles

View PostKyshaku, on Jan 11 2018 - 16:02, said:

What _Tsavo said but remember one detail he left out, a scout still alive for the end game gives their team a huge advantage in vision control and mobility. Played properly that alone can win battles. Don't throw your life away and try to preserve hit points for when you need them later.

SO MUCH THIS.

Whenever someone says "GO SCOUT HUR DURRR" and you think it'll get you killed, don't.  Stay alive.  Don't suicide scout and don't take many risks in your lights.  You don't have the HP to trade and you can't fight your way out of most engagements.  Now this isn't saying don't contest key spots, do so but if you encounter more than your opposite number (in this case light tanks) bail.

Late game eyes are invaluable to a successful team.

cocobabygirl #10 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7294 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
hmmmm got it like the song ends if I go their will be trouble but if I stay it will be double.  

Capt_Nixon #11 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7171 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

Completely agree with everything Tsavo said ... start out on your plan, and adjust as needed as your team deployment evolves and the reds start appearing on the minimap.

Also keep in mind that, as a light tank, there are different roles as a 'scout':

- active scouting/attacking;

- counter scouting

- active spotting;

- passive spotting;

There is of course overlap between those roles, and even transition between roles in one battle depending on how situations in the battle evolve, but which one you choose to begin with is largely dependent on map and vehicle compositions of each team. An excellent light tank driver is excellent, or at least very good, at all 4 roles and identifying when to transition between roles in-battle.

Klaatu_Nicto #12 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:17

Major

• Players
  • 43963 battles
My word of advice......learn to handle frustration well.

lOne_zErg #13 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 23:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5653 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
As primarily a light player, this is what I've encountered... The general gist of pubbing with lights is you want to place yourself in a good spotting position with an equally good escape route. Farming damage is your 3rd goal. As a light, it's important for you to conserve your hp because if you die, your team will be blind for the rest of the game. That is your main goal. Your second goal is to spot for the smart people on your team to ensure that they have an opportunity to bleed the enemy without bleeding themselves. This isn't always easy, and it depends on the map, you aren't going to manage to do much in himmelsdorf. If your team is winning handily, you can afford to throw caution to the wind and try to farm damage. If you'd like an example, check this out: http://wotreplays.eu...e_zerg-t-100_lt

Edited by lOne_zErg, Jan 11 2018 - 23:18.

GunnerOIF2003 #14 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 00:05

Private

• Players
  • 3862 battles

I'm thinking the same thing but at a higher level; I use to play this game a lot but not so much anymore, maybe every 5 months or so.  I understand it can take years to handle certain types of vehicles and come out ahead.  Yes, I was a tanker in the US Army for a few years before I moved into other types of vehicles, 29 years total including combat.

I really like this game but it's expensive to learn how to play to get to a certain level where you can compete with other players.  I know there are 3rd party add-on's that some folks use but they seem to be difficult to learn how to setup correctly and they definitely give a player an edge.

I guess I'm trying to decide as whether to to keep playing this game, spend money or move on.  Suggestions?

Beornotns #15 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 22160 battles
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-

View PostGunnerOIF2003, on Jan 11 2018 - 15:05, said:

I'm thinking the same thing but at a higher level; I use to play this game a lot but not so much anymore, maybe every 5 months or so.  I understand it can take years to handle certain types of vehicles and come out ahead.  Yes, I was a tanker in the US Army for a few years before I moved into other types of vehicles, 29 years total including combat.

I really like this game but it's expensive to learn how to play to get to a certain level where you can compete with other players.  I know there are 3rd party add-on's that some folks use but they seem to be difficult to learn how to setup correctly and they definitely give a player an edge.

I guess I'm trying to decide as whether to to keep playing this game, spend money or move on.  Suggestions?

mods can be useful, but in my opinion, playing the game "vanilla" (bereft of any 3rd party modifiers) is the way to go.  Besides, any of the best modifications are integrated into the UI by Wargaming anyway.

A premium account is the best way to go.  Essentially, $13 a month for a premium account (which is the same as other subscription models like Star Wars the Old Republic, or World of Warcraft) and much less than some of those console "passes" as I understand it.  Get a decent mid-tier premium tank and learn the ins and outs of it alongside the tech-tree equivalents.  If you want to learn, say, Russian heavy tanks, then I would play your way to the KV-1, and purchase the Churchill III.  It is a GREAT crew trainer, makes decent credits for a mid-tier premium, and though their playstyles and strengths/weaknesses are different, both require a certain determination (you will have the time to think about what you are doing AS you travel to where you need to be).  Then, stay there for a while.  Unlock everything around it: KV-85, KV-2, etc., etc. and slowly decide where your strengths lay.

Regardless, I wish you the best.  And remember, if it isn't fun, then the agenda is to do what IS fun. (just like the old joke:

Patient: Doc?

Doctor: How can I help you?

Patient: Well, it hurts when I do this...

Doctor: Then DON'T DO THAT!)

See you on the pixelated battle field!

~Beorn

_Tsavo #16 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 02:58

Major

• Players
  • 38947 battles

View PostGunnerOIF2003, on Jan 11 2018 - 18:05, said:

That's entirely up to you, really.  In terms of this game, you'll have to forget anything related to real world in terms of how you deploy and play matches.  

You don't need to spend money at all to have fun here, though I do suggest getting a premium account for less than $20 a month.  There are useful mods and illegal mods, but I'm not really up on the mod scene as I've been vanilla since mid 2015.  From what I've seen looking over your record, there's a lot to learn and improve, but if you're willing to learn and improve, you'll likely get more enjoyment out of the game.  Plus the challenge of climbing out of that stat hole : D I was there at one point as well!  

In the end, it is up to you.  I know I'd not enjoy winning as much as you have, but with 3k games and sporadic play, you're pretty much coming back as a newbie every time, so your situation is a bit different.  If you want help, fire me a PM or shoot me a message in game C:

There's a sub forum here called "Game Guides and Tutorials" as well, if you're not against putting some time in reading up and watching videos about the game, they can help you get more of those fun wins.  However, if you only saw frustration out of this game, I'd look for a game that's more enjoyable and fun to you.  

Whatever you choose, good luck!  

Don't forget, shoot me a PM if you want some help!

dunniteowl #17 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 19519 battles

I was going to say something, however, it would seem that what I have learned has as much to do with reading Tsavo's posts a few years back before this, because he pretty much covered what I would.  With less words.

Consider yourself lucky.

GL, HF & HSYBF

_Tsavo #18 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 04:10

Major

• Players
  • 38947 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 11 2018 - 21:33, said:

I was going to say something, however, it would seem that what I have learned has as much to do with reading Tsavo's posts a few years back before this, because he pretty much covered what I would.  With less words.

Consider yourself lucky.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Are you saying I need to word spam more?  because I can get super-duper wordy if you want <3

dunniteowl #19 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 14:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 19519 battles
No, don't do that, Tsavo, you'll pre-empt my one and only real talent!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users