The Biggest Problems in WoT

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: The Biggest Problems in WoT (65 members have cast votes)

Do you agree that Premium Ammunition is a Problem?

1. Yes (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. No (41 votes [63.08%])

Percentage of vote: 63.08%

3. I'm not sure (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

Do you agree that OP Premium Tanks are a Problem?

1. Yes (25 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. No (33 votes [50.77%])

Percentage of vote: 50.77%

3. I'm not sure (7 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

Do you agree that Matchmaking is a Problem?

1. Yes (40 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. No (24 votes [36.92%])

Percentage of vote: 36.92%

3. I'm not sure (1 vote [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

Do you agree that Artillery is a Problem?

1. Yes (19 votes [29.23%])

Percentage of vote: 29.23%

2. No (44 votes [67.69%])

Percentage of vote: 67.69%

3. I'm not sure (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

Do you agree that Pen Rolls are a Problem?

1. Yes (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. No (35 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. I'm not sure (8 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

Do you agree with My Solution for Premium Ammunition?

1. Yes (11 votes [16.92%])

Percentage of vote: 16.92%

2. No (41 votes [63.08%])

Percentage of vote: 63.08%

3. I'm not sure (13 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Do you agree with My Solution for OP Premium Tanks?

1. Yes (10 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. No (46 votes [70.77%])

Percentage of vote: 70.77%

3. I'm not sure (9 votes [13.85%])

Percentage of vote: 13.85%

Do you agree with My Solution for Matchmaking?

1. Yes (16 votes [24.62%])

Percentage of vote: 24.62%

2. No (37 votes [56.92%])

Percentage of vote: 56.92%

3. I'm not sure (12 votes [18.46%])

Percentage of vote: 18.46%

Do you agree with My Solution for Artillery?

1. Yes (6 votes [9.23%])

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

2. No (49 votes [75.38%])

Percentage of vote: 75.38%

3. I'm not sure (10 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Do you agree with My Solution for Pen Rolls?

1. Yes (15 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. No (35 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. I'm not sure (15 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Crabybaby #1 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 00:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22597 battles

Disclaimer:  I personally don't regard all of these as major problems, just nuisances at most.  I only made this poll to get a general feeling of what the Community views as problems, as well as what they think will improve the game.

Below are brief descriptions of WoT's major "problems", as well as my proposed solutions.

Premium Ammunition:  A secondary ammunition type that exceeds the effectiveness of standard ammunition (primarily in penetration, but can also be in other areas such as long-range effectiveness or over-matching), and its sole balancing factor is its price tag.  Given that it is impossible to use large sums of premium ammunition without running out of credits, any player who doesn't spend any money on the game (either through buying credit reserves, premium account time, and premium tanks for grinding credits, buying gold to be used on purchasing premium ammunition or premium tanks, or straight up buying credits) is unable to take advantage of a mechanic that makes performing well much easier, therefore making premium ammunition the definition of Pay-to-Win.

There is also the fact that it makes balancing armor extremely difficult, and example being any armor value at tier 10 around 300 millimeters effective, which is almost impossible to penetrate with any standard shell, is easily bypassed by premium ammunition.

My Solution:  The best and most efficient way to fix this would require a major rework of the ammunition type, if not straight up removing it, and this would be to still allow it to have greater penetration, but the penetration difference between it and standard ammunition wont be nearly as drastic (it wont exceed 20 millimeters of additional penetration), and it would have decreased damage in comparison (by 30%-45%)  While this would take a while to fully test and implement, it would make the game much easier to balance and would also make it seem more inviting to new players, since pay-2-win mechanics are despised across the gaming community *Cough* Battlefront 2 *Cough*.

OP Premiums Tanks:  Over time, WG has introduced multiple premium tanks that outclass equal tier, or even higher tier, vehicles (examples being the Skorpion G, the Obj 252U, the E25, and the Pz B2) and the only approach WG is currently taking to counteract this is by simply not selling them anymore, although they haven't even done this for certain tanks.  However that doesn't solve the issue, it just keeps it from growing (think of it like stopping the advance of a wildfire, but refusing to put it out).

My Solution:  The best way to solve this would be to nerf said overpowered vehicles, and in the process compensate owners with either complete refunds, or (if WG plays it smart) in-game currency/items of equal "value" (gold-wise).  By doing this, WG would get a better reputation as a company that values game balance over profits (kinda), and it wouldn't have to be afraid of selling the previously overpowered premium  tanks, since they wont be overpowered anymore.  Also, to prevent the future introduction of overpowered tanks, WG should allow players to test them out before they are put on sale, either on the test server, or through the use of rentals on the live server (although these would likely be given only to players who invest a decent amount of time into the game, since they tend to recognize overpowered tanks more).

Matchmaking:  The matchmaker, while it was greatly improved in 9.18, still isn't satisfactory in the eyes of the player base due to the extremely amounts of bottom tier battles players experience on a day-to-day basis, and the cause of this can be traced to update 9.19, which made the matchmaker prioritize 3/5/7 battles.  The problem with this is that in a 3/5/7 battle, the majority of players are bottom tier, and if most battles a player gets is 3/5/7, then they are much more likely to be bottom tier.

My Solution:  This is probably the most simple solution to any of the problems listed (which makes me wonder why it hasn't been done yet), and it involves simply reverting the changes made in 9.19.  In fact, the matchmaker should prioritize equal tier battles, followed by 5/10, and 3/5/7, so that there isn't a large amount of tanks of a single tier populating the matchmaking queue.  However, this priority shouldn't be too extreme, since constantly fighting one tier would get boring over time due to lack of variety.

Artillery:  Artillery has always been one of the most controversial classes in the game due to the fact that they can shoot nearly anywhere on the map without any fear retaliation.  While artillery doesn't one-shot tanks anymore (although it does happen on occasion), it is almost as annoying as it was previously thanks to its large splash radius combined with high splash damage, as well as the stun mechanic, which makes getting shot at by it one of, if not the worst, experiences in the game.  Artillery is also troublesome to those who play it, since their guns handle horribly thanks to extremely bad dispersion values combined with long aim times, and their lack of accuracy makes it even more frustrating to play.

My Solution:  What I would do to make artillery less hated and more appealing to players would be to completely rework its mechanics.  I would greatly decrease shell arc making it so that they cannot shoot over objects nearly as well as they do now, as well as decreasing their splash radius and splash damage, while also removing the stun mechanic.  I would also completely rework how they aim.  Instead of a top-down view, artillery will now have access to sniper view just like every other tank, but they will still have access to "Siege View", which is activated by pressing G, but now entering this view will greatly decrease your range and shell speed, making harder to shoot at long range.  Aside from these "nerfs", I would greatly increase the hit-points of all artillery by 100%-200%, depending on the tier, and improve their rate-of-fire, accuracy, and aiming time.  This will make them more akin to tank destroyers, however while they wont be as good at sniping have access to and Armor Piercing ammunition types, they will be able to do damage reliable thanks to strong HE shells, and they will still be able to shoot over some objects (like small hills/rocks).  Also, these changes will make them better equipped to play more aggressively, as well as to better defend themselves, since higher hit-points means they can survive longer.

Pen Rolls:  Despite pen rolls not being nearly as infamous as some of the other problems I previously mentioned, it is still very troublesome and is one of the worst forms of RNG in the game.  The way pen rolls work is that your shell can potentially have a 25% variation in penetration, which is quite a large difference if you think about it.  This is a very scary prospect if you think about it, since for example a tank with 200 millimeters of penetration can bounce off one with 151 millimeters of armor (think of it as a Tiger 1 bouncing off the flat turret front of a Churchill VII), or a tank with 200 millimeters of pen penetrating a tank with 250 millimeters of armor (think of it as a Tiger 1 penetrating a Type 4 Heavy), and while yes these would be rare, the fact that they can happen is ridiculous.  Another, more practical example is a is a Lowe shooting a O-Ho at a flat angle, since while it should be able to pen any part of its front (with standard ammo) over 60% of the time (234 penetration vs 200 raw armor thickness), it can easily get several low pen rolls in a row, which could be the difference between life and death.

My Solution:  While Pen Rolls are a necessary concept for this game, the current variation is simply way too high and must be decreased.  I would decrease it to 10% variation, as while this would allow some tanks to pen vehicles with armor slightly thicker (by roughly 5-10 millimeters) than their penetration capacity, it wont allow for completely ridiculous scenarios to occur, and would make shot you would expect to penetrate much more common.

If I missed any problems, or if you would handle anything differently, feel free to say so.

Edited by Crabybaby, Jan 12 2018 - 01:28.

riversteel #2 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 00:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 90765 battles
There is not a perfect game.

rcaf36 #3 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40993 battles
I disagree.  The biggest problem with WOT is the whiners who won't accept changes.  I like the 3/5/7 mm, arty has been tweaked and isn't going away and they won't muck around with premium ammo.  Get over it.

Kamahl1234 #4 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 18390 battles

One thing I'd like to remind people about RNG related changes (reducing spread) is that the new issue you introduce is the extremes of the new limits, and complaints relating to that. 

Any variance where something can have extremes is going to have complaints, often at the same level. 10% for example means that a 200mm pen gun can still pen 220mm armor, or bounce armor thicker than 181mm. 

Cola_Uruguay #5 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:04

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4398 battles

View Postrcaf36, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:01, said:

I disagree.  The biggest problem with WOT is the whiners who won't accept changes.  I like the 3/5/7 mm, arty has been tweaked and isn't going away and they won't muck around with premium ammo.  Get over it.

Wjy is it always the 48%er saying "get over it" :thibking:

Hellsfog #6 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:08

Major

• Players
  • 32249 battles
  • [D-O-S] D-O-S

View PostCola_Uruguay, on Jan 11 2018 - 19:04, said:

Because he wasn't logged on to his reroll account when he posted. 

Cola_Uruguay #7 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4398 battles

View PostHellsfog, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:08, said:

Because he wasn't logged on to his reroll account when he posted. 

Let me guess, he has 48% recents aswell, i didnt have that in my main account

Cola_Uruguay #8 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:13

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4398 battles
Besides, who votes on thsis crap? Arty is not a problem? Premium ammo is balanced? This poll results have no meaning

xrays_ #9 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:20

Major

• Players
  • 46911 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostCola_Uruguay, on Jan 11 2018 - 19:04, said:

Why is it always the over-inflated egos of rerolls that think their opinion matters?

x.

Cola_Uruguay #10 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4398 battles

View Postxrays_, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:20, said:

Why is it always the over-inflated egos of rerolls that think their opinion matters?

x.

My ego is where it would be if i had 3k. 61% recents in my other account, what does my ego jave an ytjing to di witv my comment doe? 

xrays_ #11 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 46911 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostCola_Uruguay, on Jan 11 2018 - 19:25, said:

My ego is where it would be if i had 3k. 61% recents in my other account, what does my ego jave an ytjing to di witv my comment doe? 

Really? Please, stay in school, kids!

Don't do like Donny Don't does!

x.

nxp #12 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:33

Captain

• Players
  • 36711 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

can't play well, must be game problem. not able to carry, must be teammates. 

That is the biggest problem. 

Son_of_the_South #13 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14657 battles
  • [PJ] PJ

View Postriversteel, on Jan 11 2018 - 18:57, said:

There is not a perfect game.

As long as artillery is in the game, it never can be.

Bob_5000 #14 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32882 battles
Lol, you think a compensation for those that have bought premium tanks in the past is simple? How would they figure out to give money back to every individual? Not everyone is set up to receive money. And the laws that differ in all the countries wot is in has to be taken into account in how to handle such change in nerfs where it will be mandatory to provide refunds (as opposed to some in game compensation). And I doubt WG is just sitting on the money people have spent on prems ready to give full refunds to people (profits are spent). Obviously even if they have the cash for it, why would they? How would that make sense to them when they can go on as is and not lose a ton of cash? 

Edited by Bob_5000, Jan 12 2018 - 01:45.

Cola_Uruguay #15 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4398 battles

View Postxrays_, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:32, said:

x.

View Postxrays_, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:32, said:

x.

chill bro, whenever im in need for a clan your commander might send me an invite, we could be partners so dont  hate man

Silversound #16 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:48

Major

• Players
  • 38111 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

Blitz does premium ammo the correct way.

I didn't think so until I actually started playing Blitz.

Dirizon #17 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:57

Major

• Players
  • 27240 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

I don't agree with alot of 0P material. l am not sure he ....or she has the right thinking concerning artillery, gold ammunition. 

firecomet234 #18 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 02:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5341 battles
  • [CDNEH] CDNEH

Premium Ammo : Seeing as premium ammo can be bought with credits now, everyone can have a bit to fire at those heavy tanks or at higher tiers. Anyways, most tanks can be penned from the right places.

Premium Tanks : I haven't encountered enough to really weigh in, but if there is a problem you're going to have a hard time getting WG to nerf those tanks. They can't just nerf a tank people bought with money without getting flamed and crapon.

Matchmaking : Saw a video of a guy playing a Chaffee against a E 50 in a T5-9 match back in the old days. I'm grateful that I've only been around for previous 3-4 tiers matchmaking, and the new 3/5/7 system.

Artillery : Not really a issue. At best merits small nerfs. Arty has been nerfed heavily already, and the new stun mechanic makes it a lot less overpowered.

Pen Rolls : Makes the game more realistic, and everybody has to deal with them (it's not limited to ppl with money, or arties, etc.)

IndignantMapleBacon #19 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 02:21

Major

• Players
  • 23989 battles
  • [CDN-T] CDN-T

View Postrcaf36, on Jan 12 2018 - 01:01, said:

Another problem is the snowflakes.....the ones that cant accept a challenge of any kind. For example, X tank has a little more pen than mine, or slightly more alpha...or other examples would be maps, one side is "slightly more balanced" than the other side and i refuse to work as a team to win and challenge my self.  

Dirizon #20 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 02:21

Major

• Players
  • 27240 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

Premium ammunition: 

Prem ammo was, a long long long time ago a terrible offender when it just costed gold. This simply and obnoxiously meant only people who paid for it, got it because even CW rewards would hardly pay for gold ammo required and usage. This goes hand over hand, with premium consumables like the very advantageous auto fire ext.

Now however, it is not the case, as everyone can have it. Everyone has the means to use however much they desire. Afraid it costs too much? Well, even free in play individuals, they can run easily a tier Vl, only spend 3-4 gold pounds, and still break even and positive. Free play people, have also had years of tournaments, missions, tankrewards, Login prizes, Etc to acquire things like T441OO, T25Pilot, SU1OOY, Dickermax, ToG, T3485M, AC4, Strv57, E25....Etc. They can run these machines, to profit and fuel gold rounds and prem consumable purchases. Furthermore, strongholds exist too and bonus reserves, as a great way to establish funds. Stop complaining. lt is a debate over convenience vs time. 

As for prem rounds making armour obsolete. It is totally untrue. While prem rounds do reduce armours presence it by no means removes armour as an obstacle. Try penetrating Maus, obj 263, EHundo straight through upper hull with 33O-34O heat. 0r lS7, 113, T62A, STl front turret. It just won't work. How about tracks and spaced armour, absorbing HEAT. This is a myth. As for these gold rounds, making EHundo, JagPzE, Maus, Types turret or superstructure armour obsolete, because they hover 3OO- effective, well these vehicles can still angle. 

If there in any way is a way or thinking towards de-valuing gold ammo and nerfing it, WG also needs to appropriately look into properly adding weakspots into tanks again, like they used to. They need to stop super-heavy'ing all these tanks, removing weakness to normal AP. They need to make aiming prevalent. They need to stop being lazy, and fully model tank decals. 

Arty:

Arty cannot be properly balanced. It is an unsuitable game mechanic, in a foremost tactical mobility position based 1st person shooter. It promotes laziness, free damage, for no fear in return or any meaningful deployment.

Prem tanks:

WG won't make the step of hard balancing vehicles. Not since TY59 and Super P changes. They hate the prospect of having to honour refunds, through their pockets. So for Chrysler, 252Y, skorp G, Lorraine, E25, Type 64, M41 GF, PzB2 - we are fundamentally stuck with ridiculous tanks. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users