How to increase total WR / WN8?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

mattwong #21 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 30422 battles
Theoretically, an expert at passive scouting could achieve a solid win-rate (at least in the 50s, given the importance of spotting) while having a miserable WN8 of less than 500.

Badkarma #22 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 17:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31247 battles

View PostCola_Uruguay, on Jan 12 2018 - 04:29, said:

this is THE post i would not advice being condescending in

Seriously? After you told him that his "rather lacking 53% win rate" needed to come up? He's quite far above the server average and you still took a jab at him/her instead of complimenting the recent improvement.  You sir, or madam, are a D****e.  Good day!

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #23 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12063 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 13 2018 - 16:20, said:

I am responding to this:

High WR/High WN8 - A very good player.  Highly skilled.

Low WR/Low WN8 - A scrub...tomato...useless.

High WR/Low WN8 - a stat padding platooner.

Low WR/High WN8 - A camper/farmer.  Useless.  A parasite.

I think your 'classifications' leave something to be desired -- like any sense of logical evidence that you have it right?  Those two numbers alone tell you two things:

What kind of damage player they are (high WN8 is based primarily on damage) and what kind of team player they are (high WR means more skilled at making a team win -- that includes something of a team playing concept, even if it's using your team mates to your best advantage when they are not skilled).

Stat padding or your opinion on their base motives for hitting those numbers lack any support in reality for your premises.  Therefore, I call that part into question and offer that, maybe if you simply based it on a level of game/comprehension skill/ability without the dross of why they reach those points personally, you'd probably be onto something.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Of course it isn't perfect but it works in general.

Take Low WR/High WN8 - this means the person does high damage but that doesn't result in winning more than usual.  Why is that?  The most logical definition is that he does redundant damage and that damage doesn't really help win.  How can that be?  Well, you figure it out.

This isn't rocket science.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #24 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12063 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postmattwong, on Jan 13 2018 - 16:41, said:

Theoretically, an expert at passive scouting could achieve a solid win-rate (at least in the 50s, given the importance of spotting) while having a miserable WN8 of less than 500.

Yes...the most glaring flaw in WN8 besides disregarding platooning damage.  However, it isn't the fault of the WN8 designers...it is just that they do not have access to that info.  If they did, they would have incorporated it.

I LOVE to passive scout but when I do it my WN8 tanks...but I do love it so.  A weakness of mine :)

I am excited about WGs new metric...it isn't live yet but it looks pretty spiffy.  They have it up and you can look at it.

Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Jan 13 2018 - 19:54.

OldFrog75 #25 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 01:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 9852 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostDoctorThe19th, on Jan 12 2018 - 03:54, said:

honestly feeling like my recent WR and WN8 are going up while the total WR and WN8 stay the same or possibly going down..

how do I increase the total WR & WN8 to at least 50%? What's the best non scummy method?

If you want your overall WR to be 50% you have to average 53% for the next 13612 battles. 

mattwong #26 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 21:24

Major

• Players
  • 30422 battles

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Jan 13 2018 - 13:52, said:

Yes...the most glaring flaw in WN8 besides disregarding platooning damage.  However, it isn't the fault of the WN8 designers...it is just that they do not have access to that info.  If they did, they would have incorporated it.

I LOVE to passive scout but when I do it my WN8 tanks...but I do love it so.  A weakness of mine :)

I am excited about WGs new metric...it isn't live yet but it looks pretty spiffy.  They have it up and you can look at it.

Passive-scouting has become so rare that many players don't know what it is, and they will actually get angry at teammates who are passive-scouting.  They think they're camping because they're not moving, even though they're in a forward position.  I've had it happen to myself: I got into a good bush in my WZ-132, let the camo net and binos go up, and then ... BANG!  Shot in the back by one of my teammates, who told me to "get moving".

EdmonEdmon #27 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 23:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7486 battles
  • [TBWC] TBWC

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Jan 13 2018 - 18:50, said:

Of course it isn't perfect but it works in general.

Take Low WR/High WN8 - this means the person does high damage but that doesn't result in winning more than usual.  Why is that?  The most logical definition is that he does redundant damage and that damage doesn't really help win.  How can that be?  Well, you figure it out.

This isn't rocket science.

I have high damage and lower WR.

It's because I spend most of my time platooning with new players and teaching them how to play. To this date, I've never really spent much if any platoon time with anyone above my own skill level.

But I probably have over 2000 games platooning with brand new players, knowing that they will, on average drag down my "win rate". Still, I get my damage in every game because I want to contribute and win.

It's also meant I've spent a lot more time in the lower tiers. Yet my highest WN8 tank is the Cromwell, which I've used exclusively for strongholds.

Generalisations are dangerous. A high WN8 player does consistent damage, you can't read any more into it than that.

Edited by EdmonEdmon, Jan 15 2018 - 23:45.

Mikosah #28 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 00:32

Major

• Players
  • 17534 battles

There is a simple technique that helps- in situations where your team wins one flank and the enemy team wins a different flank so that both bases are simultaneously threatened, it is far easier to defend your own cap than trying to capture theirs. Most capture zones are exposed from multiple directions. With only few exceptions, its very favorable to double back for a reset. More often than not, you'll be able to take the first shot and secure the reset from a position of relative safety.

Besides that, my advice is to pick a couple tier 4-6 tanks in particular that you happen to find comfortable and make a point of playing them more than normal. Simply given time, the crew training will stack up and eventually you'll have veteran crewmen with multiple skills. If you do so with a tank that happens to be very cheap to run, then if you continue the ritual of grinding even after the tank has been elited you'll end up with a healthy reserve of credits. 

mattwong #29 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 30422 battles

View PostMikosah, on Jan 15 2018 - 18:32, said:

There is a simple technique that helps- in situations where your team wins one flank and the enemy team wins a different flank so that both bases are simultaneously threatened, it is far easier to defend your own cap than trying to capture theirs. Most capture zones are exposed from multiple directions. With only few exceptions, its very favorable to double back for a reset. More often than not, you'll be able to take the first shot and secure the reset from a position of relative safety.

Lemming-rush games often go like this:

1) Team starts to lemming-rush to one side

2) You go with that side to help them win

3) Once you win that side, you have to go back to defend the base

4) The lemmings mindlessly keep pushing toward the enemy base while you're defending your own base

5) The lemmings are all destroyed while you defend the base

6) You have to fight the enemy team alone

ethics_gradient #30 Posted Jan 17 2018 - 00:44

Captain

• Players
  • 36232 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Jan 13 2018 - 09:39, said:

The best way to get your WR up is to platoon with unicums.  Many of the people you see with very large WRs do exactly that...sometimes exclusively.  I am too lazy to link the chart but WRs above 50% means you are on the right side of the normal curve (WRs pretty much follows a Normal curve).  If you get North of 54% you are doing better than the vast majority of players. 

However, WR alone is subject to abuse (like platooting with unicums),  WN8 alone is subject to abuse (like farming, chai sniping etc.)

The 2 together mean something...though still subject to abuse - like camping on many missions then platooning with unicums to boost WR - the following usually applies:

High WR/High WN8 - A very good player.  Highly skilled.

Low WR/Low WN8 - A scrub...tomato...useless.

High WR/Low WN8 - a stat padding platooner.

Low WR/High WN8 - A camper/farmer.  Useless.  A parasite.  The damage he does is redundant meaning it would have been done by another friendly.

The above can be done for medium players,,,if you see someone with a WN8 of 1400 but a WR of 49% they would fall into Low WR/High WN8 above.

For me, the only stat that matters is wins.  So I do anything that's needed to help my team win.  If that means my team all pushes one side of the map, I'll go to the undefended side to slow down the other team's assault.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #31 Posted Jan 19 2018 - 18:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12063 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostEdmonEdmon, on Jan 15 2018 - 23:44, said:

I have high damage and lower WR.

It's because I spend most of my time platooning with new players and teaching them how to play. To this date, I've never really spent much if any platoon time with anyone above my own skill level.

But I probably have over 2000 games platooning with brand new players, knowing that they will, on average drag down my "win rate". Still, I get my damage in every game because I want to contribute and win.

It's also meant I've spent a lot more time in the lower tiers. Yet my highest WN8 tank is the Cromwell, which I've used exclusively for strongholds.

Generalisations are dangerous. A high WN8 player does consistent damage, you can't read any more into it than that.

No...you can't get around it...doing high damage but that not translating to WR means the high damage you do does not help the team win.  How can your high damage not help the team win?  It is because you take damage that would have been done by friendlies.  If this was not the case, your WR would be higher.  This is not an opinion or a generalization...it is a FACT.  Now, your reasons may be noble but it doesn't change that fact.

That being said, your WR and WN8 are in line dude.  You are NOT High damage/Low WR.  I think many people think 50% is average WR...it is actually more like 48.5%.  51% is doing fine for 1200ish WN8.

Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Jan 19 2018 - 18:05.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users