Should Patton get view range nerf or all tanks should be buffed?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

flowerpower210 #41 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20654 battles
  • [TUF] TUF

The Patton is more user friendly than the Russian mediums due to the high alpha damage. It is also quite well armored thanks to the turret (it is not reliable, however). That being said, the Patton is slow and very large. To compensate, it requires a good view range.

Russian mediums have MUCH better camouflage and, as such, can probably still out spot a Patton.

Hurk #42 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:08

Major

• Players
  • 47775 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View Postdominator_98, on Jan 12 2018 - 17:21, said:

I'm pretty sure this bolted_on fellow is just a grumpy old man who doesn't like all these young whipper-snappers running around being better than him. No idea how he got into WANKO.

as an old, half blind, grandpa, i resent your stereotyping!

now get off my lawn!

spud_tuber #43 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 44331 battles

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jan 12 2018 - 17:56, said:

Patton and other medium tanks shouldn't have view ranges that high, period.  If a medium has higher view range than a Light, along with higher pen, higher alpha, higher DPM, more armor and more health, something is drastically wrong with the balance.

EDIT:  That isn't a wine about the Patton.  That is just a statement of balance.  Speed cannot be the one positive with everything else being a negative.

LTs also have higher camo, at least on the move, though not always stationary.  At Tier 10, they also tend to have the same alpha as mediums (barring the 121).  I'm not sure, but don't they also tend to have better gun handling than same tier mediums?  Worse accuracy though.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your larger point that WG needs to look at the balance between mediums and LTs, and at view ranges in general, but it isn't quite as grim as you portrayed it for LTs.

wolfwhite2 #44 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 18:22

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 44974 battles
The thing is the M48 got beat down with the nerf bat like 2 months after it was released. This is just bringing it back into relevance.

Edited by wolfwhite2, Jan 15 2018 - 18:23.

BillT #45 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 18:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25459 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostArcticTankHunter, on Jan 12 2018 - 18:24, said:

Seriously I don't know what WG is thinking. Patton only got its high view range is because it had terrible turret armor in which tier 8's could penetrate. Now it has an impenetrable turret keeping its amazing view range. But now with 420 view range and advance optic rendering camo net complete to uselessness. I swear WG should remove advance optic or reduce the max view range of all default tanks.

Almost every Tier 10 heavy tank has a view range of 400.   Every tier 10 medium has at least 400; five of them have 410, and the Patton and M60A1 get 420.  10 meters can't be that big of a deal.  View range is the American "racial bonus" and the Soviet "racial weakness".

It looks like WG is afraid to use its view range scale.  Every Tier 10 tank (except SPGs) is within the range of 390 to 420 meters.   If anything I'd prefer to see more variety in view ranges, but I reckon that would make for some pretty frustrating games where you get killed by people you can never spot.  

BillT #46 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 19:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25459 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostTrauglodyte, on Jan 12 2018 - 20:37, said:

Camo doesn't even enter in as a balancing factor.  Point of fact, most Lights have 3-5% more camo than an equal tier Medium.  Disregarding that it stays while they move, which is also crap when you're spotted in the open, it doesn't matter.  The maps aren't designed for actual Light play as it is needed which means Lights turn into crappy Mediums.  Mediums having as good of vision as Lights, in turn, makes no sense.  Pull your head out of your stubborn butt.

Some maps aren't designed for light play.  But on some, lights rule.  Prokhorovka is a great LT map... you can run at full speed, pop up to light targets and then drop down to avoid return fire, and rack up thousands of spotting damage.  Or you can go static in the "magic bush" and own the 1-row.    Driving a light on that map is pure joy.  Murovanka and Malinovka are good LT maps.  Swamp ain't bad.

Every class has maps that punish it.  Arty on Paris.  Heavies on Prokhorovka.  TDs on Sand River.  Mediums... well, they work pretty much everywhere, but Kharkov and Paris aren't good.

I think WG made mediums spot as well as lights to force lights to use an equipment slot for Coated Optics (or Binocs). Vents also buff view range and camo so they're vital.  That only leaves one slot for gun enhancments - you can mount a rammer, or Vstab, but not both.  So it's an indirect gunnery nerf to ensure light tanks have to respect the mediums (whose job is to stop them).

DoctorThe19th #47 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 23:33

Major

• Players
  • 13645 battles
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM

View PostBillT, on Jan 15 2018 - 09:54, said:

Almost every Tier 10 heavy tank has a view range of 400.   Every tier 10 medium has at least 400; five of them have 410, and the Patton and M60A1 get 420.  10 meters can't be that big of a deal.  View range is the American "racial bonus" and the Soviet "racial weakness".

It looks like WG is afraid to use its view range scale.  Every Tier 10 tank (except SPGs) is within the range of 390 to 420 meters.   If anything I'd prefer to see more variety in view ranges, but I reckon that would make for some pretty frustrating games where you get killed by people you can never spot.  

That seems to be incorrect information.

Tanks in tier 10 range from 360-420 meters of view range (https://tanks.gg/lis...=10&sh=standard)

Not only that but you say that view range is the american "racial bonus" and the soviet "racial weakness"? 

T110E4 & T110E3 have the same or worse view range as the russians.

T57 Heavy & T110E5 have the same as most of the russians.

Are you going to also say that germans have a "racial bonus" when it comes to view range because of that one light tank at 420m?

ArcticTankHunter #48 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 00:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10654 battles
  • [OSU-V] OSU-V

View PostZippit, on Jan 13 2018 - 00:38, said:

Wait how is the Patton fast? it's top speed is 45/kmh..

45km/h is still freaking fast. Heavies tanks don't get that fast unless your AMX 50 XXX or IS7 which wasn't in the match(all slow heavies). where basically has no turret armor. WG needs to stop with the hill climbing maps for slow tanks. Heck even Mine. The one side my "Matilda" spawned all the way to the other side of the river. Proves how broken the map spawn are against slow tanks.

Edited by ArcticTankHunter, Jan 16 2018 - 00:05.

BillT #49 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 04:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25459 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostDoctorThe19th, on Jan 15 2018 - 17:33, said:

View PostBillT, on Jan 15 2018 - 09:54, said:

Tanks in tier 10 range from 360-420 meters of view range

Not only that but you say that view range is the american "racial bonus" and the soviet "racial weakness"? 

Are you going to also say that germans have a "racial bonus" when it comes to view range because of that one light tank at 420m?

I was talking about tier 10 heavy tanks.  I even emphasized it. Then I mentioned mediums and lights.   Got my data from Tankopedia.

You're bringing TDs into it, and yes, TDs have lower view range.  So do SPGs.

And yes, as I said, all the Tier 10 heavies have a 400m view range.  The "racial bonus" (*)  doesn't apply to them, but still seems to work for the mediums and lights.  My impression of a racial bonus was formed from data for lower-tier tanks where there's a significant difference between view ranges.

I didn't say anything about a German racial bonus.  Feel free to speculate.

(* - if it's not obvious, I use the term "racial bonus" as a metaphor to D&D and other fantasy games, where different races (men, orcs, elves, etc) get bonuses to different attributes. )

SpitYoYoMafia #50 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 04:28

Major

• Players
  • 18867 battles
  • [TYPE4] TYPE4

View PostDoctorThe19th, on Jan 15 2018 - 14:33, said:

Tanks in tier 10 range from 360-420 meters of view range (https://tanks.gg/lis...=10&sh=standard)

generally speaking american tanks have more view range than russian tanks

to the OP, the patton is large and has less camo and is usually out spotted, it needs more view range to off set that

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users