• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 19:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

Howdy Tankers,

Approximately 6 weeks ago, I asked a YouTube streamer about how I could get my hands on a 907, or one of these other "special" tanks. I was then introduced to the leader of a very good clan who sent me to one of the subclans - primarily b/c I only had 1 Tier X at the time of the inquiry and for Clan Wars, I was told that I would need at least 3.  Since that original inquiry, I was able to use these boosters and holiday discounts/bonuses to get 3 more Tier X tanks (4 Total) and I'm currently working on my Cent AX (5th Tier X) which I should have by the end of this month if all goes well.

I now see (and have been told) that my recent Win8 needs to be 2,000+ to even qualify for recruitment onto a Clan Wars team.  My stats are here: http://wotlabs.net/n...er/__Warchild__

I have to admit, I have never known what a Win8 is, or what it is comprised of.  I've mentioned before that I don't care about my winrate here because I have such little control over it, but I have cared about my Personal Rating b/c that's the single factor considered by players on whether I get picked up by an unknown team in Strongholds.  Other than that, stats don't mean anything to me.  (my PR goes up about 15 points every day).

I have been grinding several new tanks from stock lately and when I am low tier on a terri-bad team, well... my stats are going to suck.  Other things that kind of mess with my stats are these individual missions for rewards like "Bouncing Shots equivalent to your HP, " etc.  Since Halloween, there have been a number of odd requirements in game, and to be honest, when it's going south or I know it's going south, I try to get these done so I get something out of the loss that Wargaming is giving me.  Even though I feel like I'm going really well, I have a lot more to learn and a ton of things to work on to become better at the game. A good Clan Wars team I think would bring me to that next level - along with some nice rewards.

With all this being said, I "might" opt to work on this Win8 thing if it doesn't mess up my current gameplay.  If I do choose to work on it, what exactly do I need to be doing differently to get those numbers up 500-600 Win8 points more than where I am currently?

As always, thank you for your time and attention.

__WarChild__

PS - Although I will never care about my pub winrate, I do care about winning ;)

Salty_Socks #2 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 20:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12910 battles
Man, ignore what they said. You dont need to have certain numbers to get a 907. Those days are long gone. These days, you just need to get into a clan that does the campaigns, and does a lot of battles. Its not hard to get a 907 if you play in the campaign every day. Unfortunately one just passed, so expect to wait around a year or so to get another one.

Viperr_ #3 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 20:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10061 battles
  • [FUSE] FUSE
As far as I remember Wn8 is based on damage. So only be aggressive when you need to and try not to take any hits. The more damage you do the higher your wn8 is going to be. Pick tanks that you dont have a problem playing and you will probably wanna stay away from playing arty.  Platooning also helps because then someone can watch your back and prevent you from being rushed or going alone. 

__WarChild__ #4 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 20:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View PostSalty_Socks, on Jan 13 2018 - 13:04, said:

Man, ignore what they said. You dont need to have certain numbers to get a 907. Those days are long gone. These days, you just need to get into a clan that does the campaigns, and does a lot of battles. Its not hard to get a 907 if you play in the campaign every day. Unfortunately one just passed, so expect to wait around a year or so to get another one.

A year?  I thought a new clan war thing just started?  I could be mixed up about that, but I was told "something" just started in the few days.

View PostJ3Tears, on Jan 13 2018 - 13:06, said:

As far as I remember Wn8 is based on damage. So only be aggressive when you need to and try not to take any hits. The more damage you do the higher your wn8 is going to be. Pick tanks that you dont have a problem playing and you will probably wanna stay away from playing arty.  Platooning also helps because then someone can watch your back and prevent you from being rushed or going alone. 

I was afraid this was going to be a requirement. Forgot to mention, I've been playing some artillery during the bonus grind to get through my current tank.

Platooning is hard for me.  I play a lot during the day, and it's hardly ever where I have an hour to sit down and focus.  Plus, I've been running boosters and waiting around for dead platoons to come alive again isn't what I need while the 48% is still active (and my 200%-300% boosters).

I think I may be hosed on this dream of mine.  Regardless, THANK YOU BOTH for responding to my inquiry!

_War_Baby_ #5 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 20:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17515 battles
  • [TRON] TRON

​WN8 is primarily based off of damage, and a little on kills. All WN8 shows is that you're good at doing more than your tank's worth in game. 

​Thing about WN8 is that it doesn't take into account wins or assistance damage. It's flawed, but we don't really have another metric to judge skill by, so it's all we can do. 

​Small steps is the way I suppose. For example, aim to do your own HP in damage, then 1.5x, then double. I'm currently pretty reliably hitting 2x my HP in most battles which is probably why I'm well over 4K recent wn8. 

xrays_ #6 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 20:39

Major

• Players
  • 46841 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View Post__WarChild__, on Jan 13 2018 - 14:18, said:

A year?  I thought a new clan war thing just started?  I could be mixed up about that, but I was told "something" just started in the few days.

Clan Wars and CW Campaigns are different. A new "Season" of Clan Wars apparently just started, and they typically run a few months. After that, there might be a mini-Campaign, which typically rewards a Tier VIII tank or similar, then another Season, then maybe another full Campaign. Yeah, the big ones are usually about a year apart. Remember also that this last one was a disaster because the "payout" required you to trade in Bonds in order to receive the reward - IMO a stupid concept, but that's why I didn't participate this time around.

As for your stats, I earned my first Campaign tank (Obj. 907) when I was just a bit better than you (stats-wise). The key is to find a clan that will be active, and then just get into as many battles as possible. Two years ago, you would have qualified for my clan (at that time) that was active in the Campaign, and we enabled at least 35 players to receive a tank.

Seeing as the next viable Campaign is probably 10 months away (based on previous schedules, anyway), I suggest you work on your abilities for a while, bump up your stats everywhere (WN8, PR, etc.), and get comfortable in a few Tier X vehicles. When the time comes, present yourself as an eager participant and see if any appropriate Clans pick you up. Just be honest with yourself and your prospective Clans and you will have success.

x.

__WarChild__ #7 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 21:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View Post_War_Baby_, on Jan 13 2018 - 13:20, said:

​WN8 is primarily based off of damage, and a little on kills. All WN8 shows is that you're good at doing more than your tank's worth in game. 

​Thing about WN8 is that it doesn't take into account wins or assistance damage. It's flawed, but we don't really have another metric to judge skill by, so it's all we can do. 

​Small steps is the way I suppose. For example, aim to do your own HP in damage, then 1.5x, then double. I'm currently pretty reliably hitting 2x my HP in most battles which is probably why I'm well over 4K recent wn8. 

Well, probably my biggest downfall is my over aggressive tendencies combined with my willingness to lead.  I have noticed that most unicum (blue/purple) let the meatshields take on the early charge so they can either cherry pick or come in once they know the lay of the land. I also see many just set up sniping positions when our team is filled with less experienced players.  Sadly, this will never be me, but I will try to focus on getting an extra shot in here or there.

View Postxrays_, on Jan 13 2018 - 13:39, said:

Clan Wars and CW Campaigns are different. A new "Season" of Clan Wars apparently just started, and they typically run a few months. After that, there might be a mini-Campaign, which typically rewards a Tier VIII tank or similar, then another Season, then maybe another full Campaign. Yeah, the big ones are usually about a year apart. Remember also that this last one was a disaster because the "payout" required you to trade in Bonds in order to receive the reward - IMO a stupid concept, but that's why I didn't participate this time around.

As for your stats, I earned my first Campaign tank (Obj. 907) when I was just a bit better than you (stats-wise). The key is to find a clan that will be active, and then just get into as many battles as possible. Two years ago, you would have qualified for my clan (at that time) that was active in the Campaign, and we enabled at least 35 players to receive a tank.

Seeing as the next viable Campaign is probably 10 months away (based on previous schedules, anyway), I suggest you work on your abilities for a while, bump up your stats everywhere (WN8, PR, etc.), and get comfortable in a few Tier X vehicles. When the time comes, present yourself as an eager participant and see if any appropriate Clans pick you up. Just be honest with yourself and your prospective Clans and you will have success.

x.

Thank you for this explanation. Until you said it, I didn't understand it - or why everyone was up in arms about Bonds and reward tanks in CW this year (I have 700 bonds, so tuned that out).  

I've been focused on grinding XP and Crew Skills and Credits during this holiday period.  I know we all complain about MM, but I keep track of the unevenness of my teams everyday.  I just had 2 games (losses) in a row with my Tier 8 Cent where in both games I finished 1st and 2nd place, but with only 1,800-2,000 damage because my teams were so bad that they all died very quickly - while I was dealing with Tier X tanks.  I really believe it's ludicrous to judge me based on any number that results from my pub matches.  Like I said above, I'll try to focus on a little more damage if it doesn't hurt my team's chances of winning (yes, camping hurts when you're not supposed to) and get that Win8 up.  

Again, really appreciate everyone's input here. I still have so much to learn here.

Many thanks!

:honoring:

_Tsavo_ #8 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 40573 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
My advice regarding WN8, focus on wins and the wn8 will take care of itself.

xrays_ #9 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 21:33

Major

• Players
  • 46841 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View Post__WarChild__, on Jan 13 2018 - 15:11, said:

I really believe it's ludicrous to judge me based on any number that results from my pub matches.

Remember that everyone's stats are essentially based on the same criteria (i.e. random battles), so it is an even playing field regarding the stats that we use to "judge" people. The idea is, if you can handle yourself in the random environment well enough, and then can work with a structured team as well, then you will reap the rewards.

x.

_War_Baby_ #10 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 21:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17515 battles
  • [TRON] TRON

View Post__WarChild__, on Jan 13 2018 - 21:11, said:

Well, probably my biggest downfall is my over aggressive tendencies combined with my willingness to lead.  I have noticed that most unicum (blue/purple) let the meatshields take on the early charge so they can either cherry pick or come in once they know the lay of the land. I also see many just set up sniping positions when our team is filled with less experienced players.  Sadly, this will never be me, but I will try to focus on getting an extra shot in here or there.

Thank you for this explanation. Until you said it, I didn't understand it - or why everyone was up in arms about Bonds and reward tanks in CW this year (I have 700 bonds, so tuned that out).  

I've been focused on grinding XP and Crew Skills and Credits during this holiday period.  I know we all complain about MM, but I keep track of the unevenness of my teams everyday.  I just had 2 games (losses) in a row with my Tier 8 Cent where in both games I finished 1st and 2nd place, but with only 1,800-2,000 damage because my teams were so bad that they all died very quickly - while I was dealing with Tier X tanks.  I really believe it's ludicrous to judge me based on any number that results from my pub matches.  Like I said above, I'll try to focus on a little more damage if it doesn't hurt my team's chances of winning (yes, camping hurts when you're not supposed to) and get that Win8 up.  

Again, really appreciate everyone's input here. I still have so much to learn here.

Many thanks!

:honoring:

​Depends what tank in what situation. You won't find a Bat Chat piloted by a unicum be 'aggressive' in some situations because it would be damn near suicidal-same can be said for most medium tanks. 

​And yes- you could say meatshields- I call letting teammates spot targets for us to make calculated decisions on what to do next. Unicums like to win games too- they just do it smarter. I play hyper-aggressive if the situation permits it- just that this isn't 100% of the time- doesn't mean I'm camping at the back, I just see how the situation develops. 

Edited by _War_Baby_, Jan 13 2018 - 21:43.

__WarChild__ #11 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 23:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View Post_War_Baby_, on Jan 13 2018 - 14:42, said:

​Depends what tank in what situation. You won't find a Bat Chat piloted by a unicum be 'aggressive' in some situations because it would be damn near suicidal-same can be said for most medium tanks. 

​And yes- you could say meatshields- I call letting teammates spot targets for us to make calculated decisions on what to do next. Unicums like to win games too- they just do it smarter. I play hyper-aggressive if the situation permits it- just that this isn't 100% of the time- doesn't mean I'm camping at the back, I just see how the situation develops. 

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying here.  It's not that they're camping unnecessarily or anything negative, I just see that they don't lead more often.  Probably something that I should learn, but I'm only learning by observation now - and what I gather from Strongholds.  I love playing for great clans in Strongholds when they feel charitable to me.  They won't even call where folks are going, they'll just ask - "everyone know where they're going?" and the rest of the team hits affirmative... I, however, think to myself "no" but I'll follow the tank most similar to mine and go from there.  I really enjoy the team aspect of this game. The pub mentality...not so much.  :confused:

__WarChild__ #12 Posted Jan 13 2018 - 23:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE
PS - I just noticed in my signature block it says "1 Day, 66 Battles, 63.6% Victories" - I don't know where they're getting their math on that.  :amazed:

Striker_70 #13 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 03:15

Major

• Players
  • 19469 battles

Recent WN8 used to be a good measure, but now that WOTlabs.net is no longer updating it for individual tanks it's really not much better than recent win rate is.

Now you can just play strong tanks of the tier that can deal a lot of damage and get a lot of kills to get higher WN8.  For example, the E25.

_Tsavo_ #14 Posted Jan 14 2018 - 15:53

Major

• Players
  • 40573 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostStriker_70, on Jan 13 2018 - 21:15, said:

Recent WN8 used to be a good measure, but now that WOTlabs.net is no longer updating it for individual tanks it's really not much better than recent win rate is.

Now you can just play strong tanks of the tier that can deal a lot of damage and get a lot of kills to get higher WN8.  For example, the E25.

Wotlabs has actually updated their expecteds to be in line with the XVM team, so it's back to individual values for each tank.

__WarChild__ #15 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 09:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

Well, after listening to you folks, my recent Win8 went up from around 1,700 to around 2,200 this weekend.  And I was grinding stock tanks from scratch:

http://www.noobmeter...d__/1026408787/

__WarChild__ #16 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 00:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

As I said previously, I can work on any number/stat that I have and improve it if I choose to do so.  My recent winrate as of later today is 2,520 (seen below) but on another site it says 3,100.  Still don't fully understand it but farming damage seems to do the trick.

Greyshift13 #17 Posted Jan 16 2018 - 02:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34704 battles

im improving everyday, it all goes down to you not making mistakes and doing as much as possible to help the team.

http://wotlabs.net/n...yer/greyshift13

__WarChild__ #18 Posted Jan 18 2018 - 00:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 16421 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

I'm putting this rant here for my own purposes even though it has little to do with the topic.

I just had 5 games in a row with my Obj 140 (1 was a Grand Battle).  I finished as the top player in Dmg and XP in all 5 and I had over 4,000 direct dmg in all 5 as well.  The little counter thing on my mod shows me purple 100 - which I think puts me in the top 1% of players playing that tank for the battle.  I lost all 5 and still have my 2x on my tank.  Did my Win8 go up?  I don't know.  Am I happy that I've lost 5 in a row?  Negative.

XVM was accurate (with the colors) for the losses in each battle.  Only 1 battle looked somewhat even.

Although I am honored that WG thinks I can carry an entire red team against Type 5, Youjo, Wonka, etc. platoons, sadly I cannot.

Old Me: Proud of myself for doing so well with no support and against such great players.

New Me: Upset my winrate took a hit and my stats did too as I would have done a lot more had my teams not all died, etc.

* I've now decided to end my quest for Clan Wars rewards/tanks.  I was happier before when I knew these stats didn't mean diddly when it came to me and my play. 

I hope you guys are happy with what you're doing!

__WarChild__

romincic #19 Posted Jan 26 2018 - 09:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 28695 battles

I do not have the need or the desire to "belong" to a clan, regardless of any rewards.  Clans are for sociopathic persons who must be in a group to derive any pleasure from playing the game.  To those that belong to a clan- good for you- you are are doing what makes you happy.  I tried a clan once; it was full of good natured, like minded people that had similar interests, but to succeed regardless of your 'WN8' and/or 'Personal Rating', you must also dedicate time during the day when others are playing regardless of your own schedule.  You in essence marry your clan.  To wit- all the hours you must spend, following someone else's orders, and playing the tank position they want you to play- for many players a clan is the best thing that has ever happened to them in their life.

I especially feel for those players that have never belonged to any group in their lives or succeeded in any quests with other individuals.   I see this when players have low 'Personal Ratings', or have difficulty in getting accepted into a clan, especially clans with medium to high player ratings.  These players want more than anything else in their lives to belong; and they just can't get noticed.

I will take a number of hits for my position.  I am not anti-clan, but they are not for me and many other "independent" players who do just fine playing on their own!  If you want to improve your game, work on it before you join a clan, you will be a much better player when you make the jump!

Also tagged with Win8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users