Am I being a derp idiot?

stupid idiot gold arty wot world of tanks tank of world

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mikosah #21 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 00:51

Major

• Players
  • 17534 battles

If you are using the 105mm howitzer, then the vast majority of your shots ought to be with HE ammo, not HEAT. And this is for a number of reasons, not just price. One is that the HE shell is very useful against most of the opponents you will see. If the enemy has very thin armor, you can penetrate and deal a ton of damage, in some cases even scoring one-hit kills. And if the enemy has very thick armor, shots that fail to penetrate will explode on the surface and still deal some damage too. Also useful for taking out an enemy's tracks, which is a very good thing to do. Not having to worry about hitting weakspots compensates for the accuracy disadvantage, howitzers are probably more reliable in the long run because of this. 

Where HEAT gets ahead are the middle-ground situations where the enemy's armor is just thick enough to not be penetrated by HE, but still thin enough that the HEAT can penetrate. In those situations, HE surface detonations will probably be dealing roughly 100 or so damage, but a HEAT penetration will deal 350. Incidentally, neither HE nor HEAT ammo loses any penetration over distance (as AP and APCR do). So don't be afraid of firing at long range if your target is sitting still. With practice, you can even lead ahead of moving targets. 

PS- buy your slot 2 ammo with credits, not gold. 

FineousOrlon #22 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 21:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20338 battles

View PostBatmanBurrito227, on Jan 16 2018 - 20:25, said:

So in order to get derp for my M4 I spent 3 of my 45 gold. Then, in order to get derp for my SU-5 I spent 37 of my 42 gold, leaving me with 5 gold left. Am I spending too much on derp, and should've used that on APCR or HEAT or whatever whatnot pro players use?

So, you are spending a little gold to get better weapons, or weapons you prefer, on some of your tanks is what it sounds like.

Short answer: what you did saves time; it is only "spending too much" if you are on a tight gold budget.

What is happening is this process, probably:

1. you have not fully researched a weapon you want on a tank through normal play.
  2. you have some other tanks with "unassigned experience."  This happens after you fully research a tank.  "Unassigned experience" accumulates on that tank if you do not check the box for "accelerated crew training," but continue to play it.
  3. When you look at researching the weapon you want, you do not have enough experience on that tank, the game checks your "free experience" stockpile, and also, if that is not enough, gives you the option of spending gold to convert "unassigned experience" from other tanks into "free experience" [experience not tied to any particular tank] so that you can research that weapon now.

So, the question is, is this a wise way to spend gold?

Not usually, if you are on a gold budget. Continuing to play the tank as it is to accumulate normal experience, in order to research modules on that tank, is the cheapest way to research modules on any tank.

In the upper left-hand corner of the garage is a small area that says "free experience."  You earn a small amount of free experience in every battle, 5% of your total experience of that battle.  This is generally a slow accumulation.

This free experience is well used to get better guns, suspensions, etc. on your tanks to make them playable more quickly than normal research.

However, it does not require gold to do so.  Just play tanks you like enough to build up your "free experience" to the point that you can research the gun you want.  It might take a while.  Or continue to play the tank you are trying to advance to gain experience in the normal way.

The game will let you spend gold to convert any "unassigned experience" into "free experience" as a way to save time or lessen the time playing an underpowered [under-researched] tank.

Lastly, "free experience" and "unassigned experience" are sometimes used interchangeably in in-game explanations, and here on the forum.  They are only really interchangeable when gold is used to convert UE to FE.

edit: if anyone has a better way to distinguish between "unassigned experience" and "free experience," speak up and I will edit this post for clarity.

Edited by FineousOrlon, Feb 23 2018 - 21:38.

Spanktankk #23 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 21:43

Major

• Players
  • 33717 battles
  • [KFB] KFB

A.  Never use Gold to buy Prem ammo.  Use silver.

2.  M4 sherman doesnt need gold.  Shoot HE.

JUST got my 3MoE on my Sherpa-Derp last night.  Last 30 games or so I think I used 1 round of Prem. Ammo, and that was ONLY to ensure a win.

Spank

FineousOrlon #24 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 21:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20338 battles

View PostSpanktankk, on Feb 23 2018 - 21:43, said:

A.  Never use Gold to buy Prem ammo.  Use silver.

2.  M4 sherman doesnt need gold.  Shoot HE.

JUST got my 3MoE on my Sherpa-Derp last night.  Last 30 games or so I think I used 1 round of Prem. Ammo, and that was ONLY to ensure a win.

Spank

Honestly, I am pretty sure that the OP did not use gold to buy ammo, he used gold to convert unassigned exp to free exp.

Specifically, the OP says

Block Quote

, in order to get derp for my SU-5 I spent 37 of my 42 gold

• He says "to get the derp," not "to buy ammo."
  • "37" gold is a prime number, meaning no amount of premium ammo can be purchased for exactly 37 gold, unless one shell costs 37 gold, which, is not the case.

Edited by FineousOrlon, Feb 23 2018 - 21:53.

Also tagged with stupid, idiot, gold, arty, wot, world of tanks, tank, of, world

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users