Aiming at weakspots

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

virtusx #101 Posted Dec 06 2010 - 22:40

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postshadowcreaper, on Dec 06 2010 - 18:14, said:

there are no "weak points" just areas of less armour.

a weak point is a ammo rack or fuel can, or a vent .

in wot you cant directly aim at weak points you can only get a % of luck in hitting moduals.

to put simple:

WOT is mostly luck there not much skill involved just aim when green and shoot then hope you get lucky hit which damages certain moduals.

point is you cant aim at weak spots and get moduals damaged based on hits, the only exception i know of is tracks and possible gun on the jagpanther which is bugged and allways gets destroyed on the first hit thanks to autoaim bug.

but you cant say "i going to aim at his fuel/ammo rack" then if hit blow him up or get him on fire this just doesnt work like that.

I agree that you cannot aim for an ammo rack and always hit it, some of it is luck, but you can aim at the spot that the ammo rack is in and your chances go way up if you penetrate to damage the rack. If you do not aim for spots where modules are you cannot damage them can you? It is still a very good idea to aim for "weak" spots. Currently before the patch  (6.2) is applied I am for the gun on a KT all the time with my T29 and almost always penetrate and in enough instances do a critical (take out the gun?), so I disagree when you say it does not take skill. What side is the ammo rack on for KT or IS, where is the driver located on different tanks, skill is involved for aiming for them and knowing where to aim. It is still chance to actually hit it because of tank movement and inaccuracy of the gun. But skill whether it is knowledge based (know where to aim) or twitch based (aiming at the right spot from distance) is still skill.

Baine #102 Posted Jan 08 2011 - 13:54

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
As for actuality I'd like to emphasize that slope is a different story and a shot that is shown as green can easily not penetrate. Especially on T-54s  :Smile-hiding:

Die4NL #103 Posted Jan 10 2011 - 18:22

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
thanks, very nice. I've never noticed it before  :blink:

Penguinator #104 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 09:39

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
the color indicator depends on your crosshair that you chose in Settings. Some crosshairs won't show this

adanakebab #105 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 19:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
thanks for the info :)

Baine #106 Posted Jan 11 2011 - 19:51

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostPenguinator, on Jan 11 2011 - 09:39, said:

the color indicator depends on your crosshair that you chose in Settings. Some crosshairs won't show this

Yeah that was changed some patches ago.

skyhawk #107 Posted Feb 01 2011 - 05:43

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
After playing some thousand games you already know all tanks weak spots and know what your gun can penetrate and what not. Personally I found about this feature some weeks ago and when I used it, it wasn't 100% accurate so I disabled it. But I guess will help the starters learn faster.

CareerKnight #108 Posted Feb 12 2011 - 17:07

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Boy do I feel foolish for never noticing, but then again it seems like I'm not alone in that and I tend to win most even match-ups I fight so I can't feel too bad.

Xhi #109 Posted Feb 13 2011 - 12:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
On some occasions though, even when my target turns green, oddly it bounces! I was like wth? Even made sure I had perfect aim and I wasn't too far from the target.

Baine #110 Posted Feb 13 2011 - 17:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostXhi, on Feb 13 2011 - 12:13, said:

On some occasions though, even when my target turns green, oddly it bounces! I was like wth? Even made sure I had perfect aim and I wasn't too far from the target.

The angle of the impact is also very important. You can even bounce on light armour if the enemy tank is angled in a nasty way.

Jiri_Starrider #111 Posted Feb 15 2011 - 17:59

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles

View PostXhi, on Feb 13 2011 - 12:13, said:

View PostBaine, on Feb 13 2011 - 17:26, said:

The angle of the impact is also very important. You can even bounce on light armour if the enemy tank is angled in a nasty way.

That and you don't always hit the very small part your reticle is on. That is more likely the culprit, your shot went astray from the reticle and hit a thicker/more angled part of the target someplace in the aiming circle. Not that you shouldn't take the targets angle into consideration, you should, I've just seen plenty of people say they were at right angles, green reticle, and still get a bounce.

Evisicator #112 Posted Feb 15 2011 - 18:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
How the hell can people go "thousands" of matches and not notice this, I noticed the different colored crosshairs in my very 1st game. Are people that oblivious to they surroundings that they cant even see what they are looking at.

hardicon #113 Posted Feb 16 2011 - 20:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
well its not actually the cross hair at least not for me, it is a little triangle looking thing that is there that shows green, yellow, or red.  if its red just reload for he, you wont to damage.  when you load for he that triangle will be red but you will do damage.  if the triangle is not there you wont hit your target, something is in the way, sometimes the triangle will be there and something is still in the way but the triangle is probably red or something.

ive found a very strange thing though, ive bounced a awful lot with a green triangle but i cant remember one time ever bouncing a shot with a yellow triangle but general rule of thumb is to look for the green triangle, it looks like a delta sign kind of like ^ only a little bigger with a line on the bottom to complete the triangle. great post op, took me a long time to notice this thing and didnt mean to hijack your thread or anything but i thought this might help some.

MaDSanderS #114 Posted Feb 17 2011 - 22:16

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
now that topic about breaking through the armor of tanks, I will say the following items - an indicator of sight is not always helping out, you need to own the silhouette of the tank to know where to shoot, because the game has spread, and exactly in the crosshairs shell can not get into, but in the region of penetration reaches.

For each tank has its own point of penetration, can strike some sort of mechanism of the tank or its crew.
We at RU server make a screenshot and identified them to the point of penetration of most tanks, that is for newbies and experienced players, too, sometimes use it.
Here is the link -
http://forum.worldof...робития-танков/

if something is unclear, ask, try to help  :Smile_honoring:

Xhi #115 Posted Feb 17 2011 - 22:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Also oddly enough, though I get a "its a critical hit" from my crew member, I sometimes see 1% damage or no damage at all lol. Yeah, taken into account that I might have been hitting a higher tier with a weak gun, but still its odd that they say that.

PollyWaffen #116 Posted Mar 15 2011 - 09:46

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Posthardicon, on Feb 16 2011 - 20:24, said:

well its not actually the cross hair at least not for me, it is a little triangle looking thing that is there that shows green, yellow, or red.
I think the key point is to make sure you choose a gun marker (either A-shaped or crosshair -- doesn't matter) that says "with armour penetration indicator".

Deathzwei #117 Posted Mar 19 2011 - 20:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAkelaLT, on Aug 16 2010 - 19:17, said:

How come they made game to work like that I dont get it lol. The submodules except tracks and gun are inside the tank, so if shell does not penetrated armor how he can destroy armor rack or an engine or even a turret ring.

Away from that thanks Baine for this guide

If your ammo penetrates the armor of the opponent at that spot of the module, for example, engine on the rear, then it'd deal the damage to the module as well. If the module is destroyed and you still have some more power in that bullet, it'd continue to damage the tank. So the module is kind of a shield for your tank (though many ppl don't want that). That's the thing for AP ammo.

As far as I know, HE ammo always deal damage, regardless of penetrating or not. Anyway, if it penetrates, it'd also deal damage to the module. But if it explodes outside, it may only deal damage to outside modules like tracks and guns. Therefore, you can say HE ammo has less potential for module damaging things.

I personally bring both types of ammo into the battlefield, even if I play SPGs, provided that they give me both choices as non-gold. This makes me kind of flexible on what type of opponent I may have to face on the battlefield. I'd use AP ammo against lower tiers and HE ammo against higher tiers or htanks.

Baine #118 Posted Mar 20 2011 - 19:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
^

Only external modules (gun, tracks, [fuel tank?]) will be able to absorb damage. Modules inside the tank will most likely give a damage bonus. Ammo rack hits (only damaging, not destroying) tend to give a high damage bonus. I remember shooting a Vk45 in his ammo spot and deal 50% damage in one shot with my Pershing.

Majorledstruck #119 Posted Mar 21 2011 - 01:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have noticed if you aim between the tanks turret and body those cause the most damage(right where the red line is), cause there's next to little or no armor there, this will blow the turret from its frame or damage it severely and will probably injure gunners demolish weapon caches, drivers, loaders, take out radios, depending on where you hit and what. I have used a picture.

Attached Files

Deathzwei #120 Posted Mar 21 2011 - 02:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMajorledstruck, on Mar 21 2011 - 01:20, said:

I have noticed if you aim between the tanks turret and body those cause the most damage(right where the red line is), cause there's next to little or no armor there, this will blow the turret from its frame or damage it severely and will probably injure gunners demolish weapon caches, drivers, loaders, take out radios, depending on where you hit and what. I have used a picture.

This is not always true. USA heavy tanks have super armor on the turret which is difficult to penetrate even for the most powerful TD. This is also quite true for other heavy tanks as well.