Aiming at weakspots

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

Evisicator #101 Posted Feb 15 2011 - 18:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3256 battles
How the hell can people go "thousands" of matches and not notice this, I noticed the different colored crosshairs in my very 1st game. Are people that oblivious to they surroundings that they cant even see what they are looking at.

hardicon #102 Posted Feb 16 2011 - 20:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30872 battles
  • [FEL0N] FEL0N
well its not actually the cross hair at least not for me, it is a little triangle looking thing that is there that shows green, yellow, or red.  if its red just reload for he, you wont to damage.  when you load for he that triangle will be red but you will do damage.  if the triangle is not there you wont hit your target, something is in the way, sometimes the triangle will be there and something is still in the way but the triangle is probably red or something.

ive found a very strange thing though, ive bounced a awful lot with a green triangle but i cant remember one time ever bouncing a shot with a yellow triangle but general rule of thumb is to look for the green triangle, it looks like a delta sign kind of like ^ only a little bigger with a line on the bottom to complete the triangle. great post op, took me a long time to notice this thing and didnt mean to hijack your thread or anything but i thought this might help some.

MaDSanderS #103 Posted Feb 17 2011 - 22:16

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
now that topic about breaking through the armor of tanks, I will say the following items - an indicator of sight is not always helping out, you need to own the silhouette of the tank to know where to shoot, because the game has spread, and exactly in the crosshairs shell can not get into, but in the region of penetration reaches.

For each tank has its own point of penetration, can strike some sort of mechanism of the tank or its crew.
We at RU server make a screenshot and identified them to the point of penetration of most tanks, that is for newbies and experienced players, too, sometimes use it.
Here is the link -
http://forum.worldof...робития-танков/

if something is unclear, ask, try to help  :Smile_honoring:

Xhi #104 Posted Feb 17 2011 - 22:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 119 battles
Also oddly enough, though I get a "its a critical hit" from my crew member, I sometimes see 1% damage or no damage at all lol. Yeah, taken into account that I might have been hitting a higher tier with a weak gun, but still its odd that they say that.

PollyWaffen #105 Posted Mar 15 2011 - 09:46

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 8550 battles

View Posthardicon, on Feb 16 2011 - 20:24, said:

well its not actually the cross hair at least not for me, it is a little triangle looking thing that is there that shows green, yellow, or red.
I think the key point is to make sure you choose a gun marker (either A-shaped or crosshair -- doesn't matter) that says "with armour penetration indicator".

Deathzwei #106 Posted Mar 19 2011 - 20:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 5630 battles

View PostAkelaLT, on Aug 16 2010 - 19:17, said:

How come they made game to work like that I dont get it lol. The submodules except tracks and gun are inside the tank, so if shell does not penetrated armor how he can destroy armor rack or an engine or even a turret ring.

Away from that thanks Baine for this guide

If your ammo penetrates the armor of the opponent at that spot of the module, for example, engine on the rear, then it'd deal the damage to the module as well. If the module is destroyed and you still have some more power in that bullet, it'd continue to damage the tank. So the module is kind of a shield for your tank (though many ppl don't want that). That's the thing for AP ammo.

As far as I know, HE ammo always deal damage, regardless of penetrating or not. Anyway, if it penetrates, it'd also deal damage to the module. But if it explodes outside, it may only deal damage to outside modules like tracks and guns. Therefore, you can say HE ammo has less potential for module damaging things.

I personally bring both types of ammo into the battlefield, even if I play SPGs, provided that they give me both choices as non-gold. This makes me kind of flexible on what type of opponent I may have to face on the battlefield. I'd use AP ammo against lower tiers and HE ammo against higher tiers or htanks.

Baine #107 Posted Mar 20 2011 - 19:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
^

Only external modules (gun, tracks, [fuel tank?]) will be able to absorb damage. Modules inside the tank will most likely give a damage bonus. Ammo rack hits (only damaging, not destroying) tend to give a high damage bonus. I remember shooting a Vk45 in his ammo spot and deal 50% damage in one shot with my Pershing.

Majorledstruck #108 Posted Mar 21 2011 - 01:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 483 battles
I have noticed if you aim between the tanks turret and body those cause the most damage(right where the red line is), cause there's next to little or no armor there, this will blow the turret from its frame or damage it severely and will probably injure gunners demolish weapon caches, drivers, loaders, take out radios, depending on where you hit and what. I have used a picture.

Attached Files

• Attached File   M1A1Abrams_3.jpg   27.68K

Deathzwei #109 Posted Mar 21 2011 - 02:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 5630 battles

View PostMajorledstruck, on Mar 21 2011 - 01:20, said:

I have noticed if you aim between the tanks turret and body those cause the most damage(right where the red line is), cause there's next to little or no armor there, this will blow the turret from its frame or damage it severely and will probably injure gunners demolish weapon caches, drivers, loaders, take out radios, depending on where you hit and what. I have used a picture.

This is not always true. USA heavy tanks have super armor on the turret which is difficult to penetrate even for the most powerful TD. This is also quite true for other heavy tanks as well.

Kuraryu #110 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 20:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 22038 battles
  • [BLAZ] BLAZ

View PostDeathzwei, on Mar 21 2011 - 02:19, said:

This is not always true. USA heavy tanks have super armor on the turret which is difficult to penetrate even for the most powerful TD. This is also quite true for other heavy tanks as well.

I think you misunderstand, not the turret itself but where the turret rests on the hull. There is usually very little armor on the turret ring where the turret rests on the hull, that and the hull and turret will tend to 'channel' any rounds to the turret ring.

ignafiltro #111 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 20:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 8806 battles
  • [CHILE] CHILE
you probably dont see ethier yellow or red colors on the recticle because of: look go to settings clik ´recticle` then select a gun recticle that haves armour penetration indicator then clik ok, then try it, if not working yet is because you only use heavy tanks or tank detroyers.

i totaly preffer mediums B)

NeatoMan #112 Posted Sep 03 2011 - 21:48

Major

• Players
  • 18005 battles
  • [5PANZ] 5PANZ
hmmm... learn something new every day.  I notice the colors all the time, but didn't know it was referring to better chance of penetration.  I thought it was the line of site was more obscured or something like that.  Either way I had enough sense to figure out green means good shot, orange maybe, and red is not so good.

1858remington #113 Posted Sep 16 2011 - 05:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25824 battles
  • [AM0K] AM0K
For me the green is a ding and the red always seems to do damage. :blink:

malteserinhk #114 Posted Sep 16 2011 - 05:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 976 battles

View Post1858remington, on Sep 16 2011 - 05:17, said:

For me the green is a ding and the red always seems to do damage. :blink:

Well the thing is you also have to take into account accuracy.  The bit you are aiming for may well be green... i.e. that exact spot, but your shells are going to land somewhere in that circle around the centre spot.  That can also be worsened by your movement, getting hit just as you shoot, and movements of your opponent.

Altwar #115 Posted Sep 16 2011 - 06:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24764 battles
  • [A-F] A-F
Huh..nearly 3000 battles and I never noticed this, and I had the right target indicator to see it too.   Got to find this out and see if I can start firing shells instead of super balls!

Mobius13 #116 Posted Sep 16 2011 - 06:57

Captain

• Players
  • 4235 battles
I've noticed this, as well.  It only works with certain reticule designs, though, so be cautious.

fiddler54 #117 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 18:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33020 battles
  • [TDC-H] TDC-H

View PostCarl, on Aug 15 2010 - 17:22, said:

Baine: 've gone through several tanks with several gubns and all i EVER get is:

green = reloaded gun, Red = gun still reloading. I've never seen the recitle be yellow and i've never seen it be anyting but green when reloaded and red when not.

Have you any idea whats cuasing this behaviour for you?

He is talking about the upside down chevron that indicates the point of impact of the round.
This will always display a colour when placed over a tank.

Salacious_B_Crumb #118 Posted Sep 25 2011 - 03:53

Private

• Players
  • 31235 battles
In order to get this color change you must select MENU/SETTINGS/RETICLE/GUN MARKERS/ A-Shaped Marker I (with penetration indicator)

fahd2003sa #119 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 08:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 5488 battles
Thank you ,it was helpful

alcapowned #120 Posted Oct 10 2011 - 15:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 1778 battles

View Post3cxO, on Aug 16 2010 - 13:05, said:

Crap, and here I am, colorblind... :<

Fml...

Join the club!

I am colorblind too and normally even have a hard time differentiating between allies and enemies. Luckily someone made a nice mod for it which sets enemies as blue instead of red.

Maybe someone can do something similar for this, ie WHITE for penetration, dark red for no-penetration and... something other distinct color for "decent chance of penetration".