how come you don't take skill/win rate into account in matchmaking

• Please log in to reply
1967 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #1961 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 31363 battles

WHY isn't this Thread in the General Discussion Forums?

This is NOT a Newcomer's Level of Discussion, nor do true New Players benefit from this here.  In fact, this is the first layer of adding a FOIL HAT onto new players and I cry, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

[edit, oops, I didn't realize I changed forum sections, never mind.  I'm leaving this here now, though, because NOW it's funny]

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Sep 20 2019 - 17:14.

24cups #1962 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:15

Major

• Players
  • 24500 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
It wouldn't matter Owl, if it had stayed dead. Some people just have to necro though.

spud_tuber #1963 Posted Sep 20 2019 - 17:20

Major

• Players
  • 58950 battles

View PostFrankFitz, on Sep 20 2019 - 09:56, said:

TBH some situations in life are one sided. Just bend over and deal with it already!!

Why did you necro a 18 month old thread? 

Trakks #1964 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 10:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3801 battles

View Postcaspertoo, on Jan 23 2018 - 21:29, said:

The new matchmaking has some serious flaws.  One of which is it's inability to take skill level into account when making teams.  Wargaming has some programmers that are capable of tying their own shoes, I hope, so why are there so many games that are so heavily uneven?  When you have 4 blue players, 2 purple players, and a ton of green players vs 3 green players and the red yellow and below, it is indicative of a serious problem with this game and it makes the game seriously not fun at all.  

I have no expectation of wargaming paying attention to what we the player base care about, i mean the entire community said the bonds idea for reward tanks was an idiotic idea, but you trudged ahead with it anyways.  

Stop using XVM and you won't notice. 

Showpan #1965 Posted Sep 21 2019 - 19:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13083 battles
  • [GOLB] GOLB
imho, WR is over rated....lol....mine is low and doesn't take into account how I play/grind new tanks that are completely over powered at first. I do not care about my stats. When I get a new tank, I will play it until I get my crew trained and all the upgrades in place. Most of the time, MM is mismatched to that fact. New tanks with no upgrades might get high tier in a battle but with no upgrades, they absolutely NOT high tier...lol...once I upgrade and train the crew, I will never see high tier again and am forced to play support roles in battles 2 tiers higher than me.  If I were to change anything, I would make MM tier friendly. If there are so many people playing online at once, then a tie 6 battle should be ALL tier 6. Why should most teams be cannon fodder for tanks they cannot pen. At most a one tier difference makes sense. 2 tiers are completely unfair for most players.. 

da_Rock002 #1966 Posted Sep 22 2019 - 10:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 9525 battles

View PostSoTrue, on Mar 18 2018 - 23:30, said:

Ok,

A) It's Sunday night, you should be playing the game right not, now rambling on the forums.

B) Sbmm is not 'balancing for the sake of balancing', it's about creating a level playing field at the start of every battle.  I am a competitive recreational cyclist.  Not a very good one.  But there is a category I am competitive at.  So I race in it.  Can I enter the expert or pro races?  Actually, at the local level, yes I can.  Do I?  Of course not.  Entering a 'competitive' event where I have no chance to win is just stupid.  Same with the crap battles random mm dishes out.  When the battle screen comes up and all the skill is on one team, that's as stupid as me racing the bike pros.  It's not fun for me.  The pros take no joy in beating a random 'fred'.

C)  I will agree that many who complain about random are 'too' focused on blowouts.  But you know my position on that.  There are two kinds of blowouts.  Snowball (what most think of when you say blowout).  And Steamroll.  There is a huge difference between the two.  Snowballs can only occur between two roughly similar teams.  One team gets an early advantage and it snowballs into a blowout.  A steamroll can only occur between a skilled and unskilled team.  The skilled team simply steamrolls over the less skilled team.  The skilled team doesn't 'create an early advantage', it's built into the mix by the MM.  By putting all the skill on one team, MM has decided the winner.

D)  This goes back to the previous post, where you try and claim 'sometimes the less skilled team wins' - as if to say the rare exception somehow eliminates the 99% of the times where the lesser skilled team loses.  Once in a blue moon, the lessor skilled team does manage to win.  It's almost always down to the skilled players on the skilled team dropping the ball.  Let's look at an example.  In the battle below, these are the teams:

my team        enemy team

blue                   0                       2

green                 1                       1

yellow                3                       5                    above this line are skilled players

orange               7                       6                    below this line are unskilled players

red                     4                       1

You can clearly see my team has (4) skilled players, and the enemy has (8) skilled players, included 2 blue unicums.   They should have won this easy, and most of the time they do.  Why didn't they then?  Their unicums made bad plays.  They are human, it happens.  To be clear, it's rare, but it does happen.  The ARL 44 went valley with the lemmings, and the Thunderbolt camped back of map to snipe.  Had they both gone city, like they should have, they would have rolled the city easy.

But look, just because this happens once in a blue moon, that DOES NOT NEGATE the vast majority of the times where the more skilled team rolls over the less skilled team.  I mean, come on, they didn't even scout mid.  Their heavies all went valley.  The skilled team threw this away.

That's a good post.   Clear explanation of what matters.

ArmorStorm #1967 Posted Sep 22 2019 - 16:22

Major

• Players
  • 37686 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostShowpan, on Sep 21 2019 - 12:24, said:

imho, WR is over rated....lol....mine is low and doesn't take into account how I play/grind new tanks that are completely over powered at first. I do not care about my stats. When I get a new tank, I will play it until I get my crew trained and all the upgrades in place. Most of the time, MM is mismatched to that fact. New tanks with no upgrades might get high tier in a battle but with no upgrades, they absolutely NOT high tier...lol...once I upgrade and train the crew, I will never see high tier again and am forced to play support roles in battles 2 tiers higher than me.  If I were to change anything, I would make MM tier friendly. If there are so many people playing online at once, then a tie 6 battle should be ALL tier 6. Why should most teams be cannon fodder for tanks they cannot pen. At most a one tier difference makes sense. 2 tiers are completely unfair for most players.. 

Dude, 8 of your 10 most played tanks are known OP pubstompers and your stats match your win rate.  Either you embrace the fact that you are who you are and work to improve or you toss out excuses like the above and continue to be a low-average player.  You aren't being treated unfairly, we all get the same MM slots/teams/maps/whatever.  Your failure to save up enough free experience to get a needed upgrade when you purchase a new tank is just that, your failure.  

Less QQ, more pew pew.  BTW, I am very aware of where my w/r and stats place me and blame NO ONE else for my results.

NeatoMan #1968 Posted Sep 22 2019 - 16:56

Major

• Players
  • 28180 battles

View Postda_Rock002, on Sep 22 2019 - 04:41, said:

That's a good post.   Clear explanation of what matters.

no it's not

That matchup can range anywhere from 10% to 56% win chance depending on where the players fall within their color range.  According to his logic a 649 WN8 player is far worse than a 651 WN8 player, and that same 651 WN8 player is equal to a 899 WN8 player.  A player suddenly becomes skilled when they hit 651 WN8...   It's totally arbitrary, just like every one of budha's analyses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users