Free to play Premium Premium rounds APCR High Explosive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

cluster299 #1 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 05:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 2200 battles
  • [USMC4] USMC4
I have been questioning this because it seems like the higher tiers I play the more APCR and High Explosive rounds are used and less times I penetrate. My question is should I stay at the tiers I'm playing at right now (tier 5 & 6) Or keep advancing like normal? Please I would like to know before I make a mistake because I'm not planning on paying for the game anytime soon 

Slim_Shadee #2 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6432 battles
  • [USAA] USAA

The advice will come to stay for a while. Not for money reasons just to learn this hell hole of a game that is damn much more complicated than you know at this point.

You dont have to pay just learn to manage your credit flow. So far I have not had to buy anything but choose to do so on my EU account. Its a more difficult road to go down but not impossible by any means many on here are Welfare Warriors and many are Wallet Warriors.

dominator_98 #3 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 21422 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

Stick to tiers 5 and 6 for now. The gameplay isn't really any more fun at the high tiers. What will help you the most right now is memorizing tank statistics. Knowing exactly how many shots your Cromwell can get in before that T-150 reloads will help you a lot. You will learn the game's basics at tier 6 without bleeding credits like you would at higher tiers. Grind crew skills and make sure you can afford gun rammers and vents on all your tanks. Don't move past a tier until you do your own HP in damage almost every match. 

It takes a free-to-play player a very long time to progress in this game. Learn to enjoy tier 5-6 as you learn the maps and each tank's capabilities. Hang in there, this game isn't noob-friendly at all but the reward is well worth it. The only real reason to grind for a tier 10 is for clan wars, but you're a long way from having to worry about that.

GaussDeath #4 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:20

Captain

• Players
  • 55725 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

Best way to manage credits: save up credits, 5 or 10million. 
Don't spend it until there is a sale on consumables and equipment. 
Stock up on consumables and buy the equipment you need for your next few tanks. 

Never pay full price for consumables. Save a lot of credits that way. 
On Track missions are also a good way to save on credits, buying tanks at discount. 

Finally, hang out at tiers 5-6 for awhile and learn the game. If you can get your recent win rate up to 50% at those tiers then move on. 

tanopasman62 #5 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 18534 battles

View Postdominator_98, on Jan 25 2018 - 06:05, said:

Stick to tiers 5 and 6 for now. The gameplay isn't really any more fun at the high tiers. What will help you the most right now is memorizing tank statistics. Knowing exactly how many shots your Cromwell can get in before that T-150 reloads will help you a lot. You will learn the game's basics at tier 6 without bleeding credits like you would at higher tiers. Grind crew skills and make sure you can afford gun rammers and vents on all your tanks. Don't move past a tier until you do your own HP in damage almost every match. 

It takes a free-to-play player a very long time to progress in this game. Learn to enjoy tier 5-6 as you learn the maps and each tank's capabilities. Hang in there, this game isn't noob-friendly at all but the reward is well worth it. The only real reason to grind for a tier 10 is for clan wars, but you're a long way from having to worry about that.

The good thing is, tiers 5 and 6 have plenty of awesome and fun tanks to play for all skill levels.

Gothraul #6 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 2162 battles
Managing high tiers credit wise isn't much of a problem as a F2P but you have to not be wasteful with your ammo while at the same time still pulling some weight, another factor is premium consumables that mainly being food is expensive when it adds up. To be honest though just stick to tier 5 and 6 as the game is incredibly cancerous right now beyond mid tiers.

Mazati #7 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5446 battles

View Postcluster299, on Jan 25 2018 - 04:55, said:

I have been questioning this because it seems like the higher tiers I play the more APCR and High Explosive rounds are used and less times I penetrate. My question is should I stay at the tiers I'm playing at right now (tier 5 & 6) Or keep advancing like normal? Please I would like to know before I make a mistake because I'm not planning on paying for the game anytime soon 

Im free to play ( you even can get gold/prem tanks without paying a dime ) as others have said just hang out at 5-6 you make credits and learn the game and when your ready to move up you'll have plenty of credits by then - watch some videos by people who play WoT i recommend Zeven watching his videos over and over really helped me up my game im still only up to t7 after 4k+ battles myself, theres no reason to rush and every reason to take a slow roll 8)

9435 #8 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 06:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 147 battles
Learn to aim, you don't need gold for this game.

Bob_5k #9 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 08:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34560 battles
Just get the daily doubles (x2 exp for win) for higher tiers, otherwise stay low/mid tiers. I regret have always play like i do in which i focus on lines straight up, while not doing daily doubles across the board. Saves in amount of games to get tanks in the long run. Meanwhile look on yt and twitch for better players who you can learn from.

rich73 #10 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 09:08

Major

• Players
  • 54441 battles

View Postcluster299, on Jan 24 2018 - 20:55, said:

You think your some raging, purple,pub hater?Only they get favorable wgng.

the_Deadly_Bulb #11 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 09:13

Major

• Players
  • 24758 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdominator_98, on Jan 24 2018 - 21:05, said:

View PostGaussDeath, on Jan 24 2018 - 21:20, said:

Best way to manage credits: save up credits, 5 or 10million. 
Don't spend it until there is a sale on consumables and equipment. 
Stock up on consumables and buy the equipment you need for your next few tanks. 

Never pay full price for consumables. Save a lot of credits that way. 
On Track missions are also a good way to save on credits, buying tanks at discount. 

Finally, hang out at tiers 5-6 for awhile and learn the game. If you can get your recent win rate up to 50% at those tiers then move on.

View Posttanopasman62, on Jan 24 2018 - 21:21, said:

The good thing is, tiers 5 and 6 have plenty of awesome and fun tanks to play for all skill levels.

View PostMazati, on Jan 24 2018 - 21:33, said:

Im free to play ( you even can get gold/prem tanks without paying a dime ) as others have said just hang out at 5-6 you make credits and learn the game and when your ready to move up you'll have plenty of credits by then - watch some videos by people who play WoT i recommend Zeven watching his videos over and over really helped me up my game im still only up to t7 after 4k+ battles myself, theres no reason to rush and every reason to take a slow roll 8)

OP, there is real wisdom in what these players have posted. :great:

wildgooseman #12 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 13:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35773 battles
  • [-A-8-] -A-8-

I would say stay around 5/6 until you feel comfortable progressing. There's a lot to learn in the game which only comes with experience. Plus around 5/6 there are lots of fun tanks to play which will also earn credits easier.

FWIW I rarely use premium ammo even at tier 10 as the vast majority of tanks can be penned with well aimed shots without needing to load the "skill" rounds.

If you find you're struggling to pen a certain tank take a look at tank.gg (https://tanks.gg/) and use the 3D modelling to help you identify weak spots.

Good luck and have fun!

_Gungrave_ #13 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 13:22

Major

• Players
  • 43745 battles
  • [-SRP-] -SRP-

View Postcluster299, on Jan 25 2018 - 05:55, said:

High explosive isn't something you should be shooting because it will seriously piss people off if they see someone on their team in a non-derp gun tank shooting nothing but HE when they have the pen to go through weakpoints. Only time and I seriously mean THE ONLY time HE should ever be used is on really soft targets like some TDs and paper mediums.

Regardless I think the best thing you can do is find someone to mentor you to teach you tactics, map strategy, etc. I'm being a bit blunt when saying this but you're under performing quite a bit and once you've been taught how to play better you'll really start to enjoy the game as you get better.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Jan 25 2018 - 15:38.

mercury00001 #14 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 18:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9269 battles

View Post9435, on Jan 25 2018 - 00:38, said:

Learn to aim, you don't need gold for this game.

This.  You are bouncing because you are relying on the extra pen to get the penetration.  Have tanks.gg open and look up weak spots, during the battle even.  Don't guess and stop throwing gold at higher tier tanks.  You should not even pull the trigger on a +1 or +2 tier tank without being certain where it's weak spots are.

ARCNA442 #15 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 19:06

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13911 battles
  • [RE4GD] RE4GD

I'd suggest staying at 5 & 6 until you have a couple thousand more games and a 48-50% win rate. Use the time to play all 5 classes and understand how they work as well as get some crews with 1 or 2 skills.

While gold ammo does help, it is not necessary in the vast majority of situations. Outside of a few super heavies, anything can be penned with silver if you know where to shoot (use a reticle with a pen indicator and go to Tanks.gg to use their armor viewer). Personally, I only shoot gold rounds when playing in clan events and still have decent stats. If you don't believe me, look up Taugrim on YouTube - he's a unicum that only fires silver ammo.

RedBaronK #16 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 19:10

Major

• Players
  • 41069 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

View Postcluster299, on Jan 25 2018 - 04:55, said:

Unless you are using derp guns, you should be using LESS HE rounds at higher tiers, not more. Its harder to do damage with HE, so you earn a lot less credits.

Unless you get behind a t95 or a badger, then by all means let loose the dogs of war.

gybob #17 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 19:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12700 battles
  • [SPYDA] SPYDA
A lot of good advice so far. You should heed it.

golruul #18 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 20:38

Captain

• Players
  • 21727 battles

You can keep advancing as normal if you want without paying anything, but you absolutely, positively have to temper your expectations.  You'll have to spend increasing amounts of time grinding credits in tier 5 (or, preferably, using one of the various free premium tier 8 tanks offered over the past couples years) to afford modules, ammo, and repair costs the higher you go.

If you don't have a tier 8 premium tank for credits, keep two tier 5 tanks that you can use to grind credits.  These tanks should either have high pen with standard rounds or a derp so that you can use cheap high explosive shells with.  The key is to not waste credits using premium rounds when you're grinding credits.

Comrade_XAM #19 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 20:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23116 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

For most lines i would not cosider advancing to the next tier until you have 2 marks of excellence on the tank you are playing (75 % at least, between 1 and 2 MOEs)

Gameplay logic changes every couple of tiers. What works well in tier 5-6 will not work in tier 7-8. Take your time ... tiers 8-10 can be really frustrating to someone who is not ready for them. Then again, they can be really fun for someone who knows what to expect.

Good luck out there

Edited by Comrade_XAM, Jan 25 2018 - 20:46.

strenfoo #20 Posted Jan 25 2018 - 20:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12425 battles
Play whatever tanks/tiers you want.  It's just a video game.  Just keep in mind that it gets harder and harder for a completely free player to play this game the higher you go.  I can't imagine going past tier 8 or so as a completely free to play player because the grinds just take too long and, unless you're a really good player (i.e. you have blue or purplse stats), you'll have a lot of battles where you lose credits.

Edited by strenfoo, Jan 25 2018 - 20:52.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users