Mac Wrapper speed issue...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Harmless55 #1 Posted Jan 27 2018 - 14:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST
Problem: I find myself losing/having lost frame rate in the WOT to the point where it's hard to play convincingly. 

For a long time, I played on an older iMac. For a while, things were fine but then I started noticing that my frame-rate was down in the twenties. I hadn't noticed what it was originally so I thought this was "normal" or inevitable. After a long time, I ended up having to replace the original iMac with a newer model and reinstalled the Macintosh version of WOT and noticed a much higher frame-rate than I had had before. Soon, this, too, dropped to the low twenties and even the teens. Working with the assumption that the problem was video circuitry based, I got an account on my roommate's even newer Mac mini, which has a much better video subsystem than the second iMac. The result was, at its high-points, a (comparatively) blistering 60-70 fps on the mini. 

I thought, "Problem solved," but then, the frame rate on the Mini started dropping and it, too, is now down to the twenty, to thirty FPS range and sometimes lower. At this point, I thought, that it has to be something to do with how the wrapper handles the video subsystem and reinstalled: Nothing changed. This might have something to do with my being unable to find every file in the wrapper. I don't know. 

Following this, I decided to try running code weaver's crossover app and running the windows version of WOT under it on the mini. I got the trial version, installed it, installed WOT within Crossover and hit the start button: WOT opens to the start screen, but when you hit "Play" the programs shows the black loading screen momentarily and then dies. 

Any help/advice anyone could give that would solve the problem would be deeply, deeply appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

System Configuration: 

Mac mini (Late 2012)
Procesor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

NutrientibusMeaGallus #2 Posted Jan 27 2018 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 19111 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX

Thats the problem. Well aside from the machine being from 2012.

ArmorStorm #3 Posted Jan 27 2018 - 16:38

Major

• Players
  • 34149 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

Yeah, sorry man but those aren't even decent laptop specs any more.  All you can do is run the graphics settings down as low as you can stand until you upgrade something.

Just an idea for you, but I have bought several PCs from the local recycler.  

PC:                     $20

Memory:             free from another PC at the recycler.

GT1030:            $70

Hard drive:        $30

Windows10:      $100

Not free but $225 or so to get a PC that beats that Mac. 

TLWiz #4 Posted Jan 27 2018 - 17:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 19574 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT
Pretty much comes down to playing a PC game on a 6 year old low end Mac.  I don't think there is any help unless you replace your computer which may be fine for many things but not WoT. Running on a 4 year old Dell Optiplex i7/16GB Ram 9020 with a newer 1060gt 6GB vid card does over 100fps at max graphic settings and the Wot 2.0 test did nicely too.

Harmless55 #5 Posted Jan 27 2018 - 20:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Jan 27 2018 - 09:25, said:

Thats the problem. Well aside from the machine being from 2012.

View PostArmorStorm, on Jan 27 2018 - 10:38, said:

Yeah, sorry man but those aren't even decent laptop specs any more.  All you can do is run the graphics settings down as low as you can stand until you upgrade something.

Just an idea for you, but I have bought several PCs from the local recycler.  

PC:                     $20

Memory:             free from another PC at the recycler.

GT1030:            $70

Hard drive:        $30

Windows10:      $100

Not free but $225 or so to get a PC that beats that Mac. 

View PostTLWiz, on Jan 27 2018 - 11:43, said:

Pretty much comes down to playing a PC game on a 6 year old low end Mac.  I don't think there is any help unless you replace your computer which may be fine for many things but not WoT. Running on a 4 year old Dell Optiplex i7/16GB Ram 9020 with a newer 1060gt 6GB vid card does over 100fps at max graphic settings and the Wot 2.0 test did nicely too.

Obviously, I wrote my last post in Mandarin and Google Translate's servers are down today, or maybe I should just rewrite the question to fit the answers.

Instead of "Tell me how I get the Macwrapper which worked fine two weeks ago, producing a perfectly decent framerate to do that again," apparently I wrote, something along the lines of "criticize my hardware," because that solves my probem, or, "Here's how you can dumpster dive your way into using a computer you don't want," or "Here are the super glorious specs of the old dell computer that *I* own."

I really don't know what to say about the answers I've gotten so far except to say that old wive's talles say that they're bad for your vision and your palms itch while the hair is growing in.

Now, If anyone actually does know what I can do to restore my mac's framerate to what it was, and, just to really prove your computer chops, tell me what went wrong with it, I'll be super grateful to you.

Thanks.

Everybody else who wants to wave his big, meaty PC at me, "Foxtrot, Oscar."

Asiaticus #6 Posted Jan 28 2018 - 16:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4427 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View PostHarmless55, on Jan 27 2018 - 14:35, said:

Now, If anyone actually does know what I can do to restore my mac's framerate to what it was, and, just to really prove your computer chops, tell me what went wrong with it, I'll be super grateful to you.

Thanks.

Everybody else who wants to wave his big, meaty PC at me, "Foxtrot, Oscar."

It is odd that you are seeing a pattern of progressive degradation in performance on the same hardware. Have you run the First Aid command in Disk Utility? Any issues with your drive?

Have you downloaded the most recent version of the Studly Utility? If you haven't already, try using it to delete and reinstall the game.

On my system, I find the game runs well on a separate "clean" user account that doesn't have any extra background processes loaded. It won't load at all on my main account. That's another thing you could try: set up a separate user account, restart into that one, and see how the game runs from there.

Edited by Asiaticus, Jan 28 2018 - 16:28.

Harmless55 #7 Posted Jan 28 2018 - 17:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST

View PostAsiaticus, on Jan 28 2018 - 10:27, said:

It is odd that you are seeing a pattern of progressive degradation in performance on the same hardware. Have you run the First Aid command in Disk Utility? Any issues with your drive?

Have you downloaded the most recent version of the Studly Utility? If you haven't already, try using it to delete and reinstall the game.

On my system, I find the game runs well on a separate "clean" user account that doesn't have any extra background processes loaded. It won't load at all on my main account. That's another thing you could try: set up a separate user account, restart into that one, and see how the game runs from there.

Actually, that's the odd thing about it: It isn't on the same hardware but on there different interactions of hardware: An original iMac, a second, blater, model with a different video system, and then a third system, a mac mini, with a better video subsystem than the prevsvious two computers. 

In all three cases, the performance just seemed to drain away over a relatively short span of time with the mini at first running its fresh install faster than the previous two computers ever had and then going down to a frame rate in the twenties and lower with lags pikes that make aiming, and sometimes even driving, problematic. 

Thank you for, first for pointing out that utility to me. If the problem is, as I suspect, some odd degenerative problem in the wrapper's stream handling, and if the utility runs on my hardware software combination, it will either show me that I was right by fixing the problem, or it will prove that the problems is something else for me to investigate.

Thank you also, and especially, for not seeing my post as an opportunity to bash my hardware. 

Running disk utility now. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Harmless55, Jan 28 2018 - 19:01.

Harmless55 #8 Posted Jan 29 2018 - 01:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST

View PostAsiaticus, on Jan 28 2018 - 10:27, said:

It worked, 

I got the bit you recommended and scrubbed out the old copy of the wrapper and reinstalled. Worked like a charm. With laptop screen sized windows, I was getting  spikes of up to seventy FPS, with the window nearly full and everything turned off, I was getting a doable thirty to fifty something. 

Seriously dude, thanks a LOT. 

Asiaticus #9 Posted Jan 29 2018 - 01:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4427 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View PostHarmless55, on Jan 28 2018 - 19:03, said:

It worked, 

I got the bit you recommended and scrubbed out the old copy of the wrapper and reinstalled. Worked like a charm. With laptop screen sized windows, I was getting  spikes of up to seventy FPS, with the window nearly full and everything turned off, I was getting a doable thirty to fifty something. 

Seriously dude, thanks a LOT. 

Awesome! Let's hope it stays that way.

Harmless55 #10 Posted Jan 29 2018 - 02:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST

View PostAsiaticus, on Jan 28 2018 - 19:43, said:

Awesome! Let's hope it stays that way.

Yeah. I've taken tanks into the proving grounds to look for fluctuations and found them, it can start out at 25-30 and spike up to the forties and low fifties in windowed mode. 

Considering that it has happened on three different machines, I have no doubt that it will happen again but at last now and thanks you to and dstud, I have a solution that works. Now all I need to do is figure out how to play a turretless tank destroyer on Kharkov. 

;-)

black_colt #11 Posted Feb 03 2018 - 18:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostHarmless55, on Jan 28 2018 - 17:35, said:

Yeah. I've taken tanks into the proving grounds to look for fluctuations and found them, it can start out at 25-30 and spike up to the forties and low fifties in windowed mode. 

Considering that it has happened on three different machines, I have no doubt that it will happen again but at last now and thanks you to and dstud, I have a solution that works. Now all I need to do is figure out how to play a turretless tank destroyer on Kharkov. 

;-)

I recommend that you install a fan control app for your Mac Mini - I have used Macs Fan Control from Crystalidea for many years to great success.

Why ?

I suspect that the internal temp increases/fluctuates quickly and OS X/macOS throttles the CPU to prevent damage.

Install Macs Fan Control and change the [Control] from [Auto] to [Custom...] then click on [Sensor-based value] and select [GPU Diode] then [OK].  Click on [Preferences...] and then [Autostart minimized with system (recommended)] and then [Close] and then click on the red button in the Menu bar to close the app.

Macs Fan Control will monitor and start the fan early - rather than reacting to a high thermal value.

Please let the Forum know if this works for you.

Harmless55 #12 Posted Feb 03 2018 - 19:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7275 battles
  • [L0ST] L0ST

View Postblack_colt, on Feb 03 2018 - 12:56, said:

I recommend that you install a fan control app for your Mac Mini - I have used Macs Fan Control from Crystalidea for many years to great success.

Why ?

I suspect that the internal temp increases/fluctuates quickly and OS X/macOS throttles the CPU to prevent damage.

Install Macs Fan Control and change the [Control] from [Auto] to [Custom...] then click on [Sensor-based value] and select [GPU Diode] then [OK].  Click on [Preferences...] and then [Autostart minimized with system (recommended)] and then [Close] and then click on the red button in the Menu bar to close the app.

Macs Fan Control will monitor and start the fan early - rather than reacting to a high thermal value.

Please let the Forum know if this works for you.

Hmmm....

Looks interesting. I already have one solution but I may check yours out to see if it will help me gain speed/consistency. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I use it, I will certainly post the results no the forum. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users