Analysis of 9.22 CT

potato_factory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mikosah #1 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 05:33

Major

• Players
  • 17533 battles

I made a number of predictions before the test server went up, and a large number of comments in other threads during the testing itself. After having given the situation a little more thought, here's a more thorough compilation of my findings.

Item 1- Obj 263 Line Changes: My first reaction to the 268v4 was that the very unique and interesting 263 is being replaced by a decidedly generic and boring Jageru knockoff. In that respect, I was wrong. The 268v4 does bring something new to the table, the ability to haul massive frontal armor to medium-like positions swiftly in the beginning of a match. But the reworked line cannot do the same unless top-tier and also the situation otherwise suits it, so the notion of making the playstyle consistent remains a needless and counterproductive falsehood. Tech tree replacement, relocation, and removal cause us many headaches even in a best-case-scenario, so the idea of attempting to rework the line so drastically and still coming out of it empty-handed leaves us with a complete disaster on our hands.

As such, I stand by the suggestion that the entire proposal be scrapped and the existing line instead receive buffs to gun depression, traverse limits, and shell velocity. Let them be conventional sniping TDs with relatively low alpha but high DPM compared to the other TD line (WG, keep an eye on those DPM values). As of the 268v4, either have it branch off from one of the existing tier 9 TDs or save it for later as a reward tank. Remember that the reason this proposal didn't work is because the armor is so situational and MM-dependent. They only way to have made the tier 8 have the same playstyle as the tier 10 would have been to make its armor completely game-breaking.

Item 2- Obj 430 Line Changes: The obvious criticism is that a broken clone of the T-62a and 140 has simply been changed into a broken clone of the 121. So once again, the major premise of the proposal is a sham. Whatever would have been accomplished here could have been much more efficiently and competently done by just giving the existing 430 an alternate gun choice. And as for the concern that the rear-turreted mediums suddenly transition to normal layout, it isn't really a problem in the first place. Not as though WG even has a rear-turreted tier 10 medium to throw at us in any case, so I don't know what they're playing at.

As of the whole notion of 'consistency', I see it as a liability rather than an asset. The idea of essentially playing the same tank again and again makes it difficult to justify the expense in going any higher up the line than you need to. Why bother grinding all the way to tier 10 when the tier 9 plays exactly the same way, is much cheaper, and is just as strong for its tier? The idea of the line changing from tier to tier is what makes it worth getting something new and interesting. Precisely for that reason I can accept that something like the Deathstar comes after something like the Tortoise. And as for the concern that the tomatoes just can't handle any change in role, I'd say the better explanation is that they were never taught how to play any role in the first place.

Item 3- T-10/257 Swap: This one was interesting because the first iteration's version of the obj 257 was so well armored that it was even more inappropriate for the IS-7 line as the T-10 itself was. The second iteration made the side armor less ridiculous, but now we find ourselves in the position where the combination of shape and thickness produce either a guaranteed autobounce or a guaranteed overmatch depending simply on gun caliber. And that's arbitrary ebola for whoever happens to get the short end of the stick. What's more, it can be argued that the T-10 is still more appropriate for the IS-7 line than even the second iteration of the 257. And once more, the new tier 10 to follow hasn't even been put in place yet. A pattern seems to be forming here, these proposals just keep getting more needless and counterproductive. I say leave the T-10 in place and have the 257 be the offshoot, if it is to be included at all. And that itself is debatable.

Item 4- Obj 705a Line: Not as much to say here, new rear-turreted heavies that are good at brawling and sidescraping. That's neat. Wait, I'm forgetting something. Wasn't there another heavy line that was meant for exactly the same playstyle? Ah yes, the IS-4! Let's see how it stacks up... https://tanks.gg/v0922ct2/tank/is-4/stats?cs=obj-705a&cv=v0922ct2

Oh dear, I don't know if I should be impressed or depressed. WG actually found a way to make the IS-4 more obsolete than it was already. And the KV-4 is in a very similar situation relative to the IS-M. The ST-I can at least boast a notable advantage in gun depression, but any time that it isn't using all 8 degrees consider it just as poorly off as the others. For heaven's sake the Obj 705 has the same DPM as the ST-I but higher alpha and much better dispersion penalties. In other respects, the 705 does just as well if not better. How on earth do you plan on balancing these two lines, WG?

Item 5- Tier 8 Medium Buffs: So far the mobility and gun handling proposals only extend to the T-44, T-44-100, and Mod1. If it really is just these three that are buffed, then that's very awkward for the huge pile of other tier 8 mediums (let alone the light tanks) that are so weak in the current meta. Tentatively I'll actually give my approval, but only on the condition that the rest of tier 8 is treated similarly in the very near future. If not, then what the hell was this about?

Item 6- New Ranked Battles Season: I do think the new format is an improvement over the previous versions, but take that with a grain of salt. I still see significant problems with the fundamental concept of ranked battles. There's a massive conflict of interests in trying to set up a mode to determine individual skill in such a team-dependent environment. And all of the iterations have fallen into a very indecisive state in reconciling this. I say that there's two workable options. One is to keep the mode 15v15, but use a much more individualistic scoring metric. Group all 30 players together after the match and sort by EXP earned for scoring. Yes, that does make win/loss less relevant. That's the point. If there's concerns that the gameplay will be too passive, then make a deliberate adjustment on the ratio of EXP earned by the spotter compared to the shooter. If spotting your own targets is a big enough prerequisite to high scores, passive gameplay will be adequately discouraged.

The other option is to use a smaller format, 10v10, 8v8, or 6v6 with full team voice comms. This way it can be called a 'team game' without being a total farce. And scoring can also be done with emphasis significantly favoring the winning team rather than individuals. And its either one or the other, do not mix-and-match. Either fully commit to individualism, or fully commit to team-dependency. There is no middle ground.

One other point of interest is that hopefully this iteration of ranked will be the one that either sinks or swims. The reason I say this is because of the bonds currency. Until now, its purpose has been to motivate participation in these ranked beta tests. All the methods to earn bonds outside of ranked have essentially been gimmicks and publicity stunts. And sufficed to say that it has caused problems. But if ranked can be either permanently established or utterly destroyed then the bonds will no longer be necessary, and that's very good news for all parties involved. Because once that happens, improved equipment and directives can be sold for credits. In particular, my interest is on the one directive that gives 'sixth-sense' to crews that don't already have it. If that were sold for a reasonable price in credits (or better yet, was free of charge to use) then one of the major stumbling blocks for new accounts may be finally put to rest.

DoctorThe19th #2 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 13979 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON

You forget about the Object 430 II?

that's supposed to have a tier 10 right?

Mikosah #3 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 05:40

Major

• Players
  • 17533 battles

View PostDoctorThe19th, on Jan 31 2018 - 22:35, said:

You forget about the Object 430 II?

that's supposed to have a tier 10 right?

WG is supposed to find a completely different rear-turreted medium to come after the 430 II, but since they haven't done that yet, I say leave the mediums right where they are and just give the 430 an alternate gun. All our problems get solved with none of the collateral damage.

mlinke #4 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 06:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48090 battles
Do not forget. They are taking 122 54 from us. That crap can not be justified by anything

Savage112 #5 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 07:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 52939 battles
  • [OC] OC

View Postmlinke, on Feb 01 2018 - 05:21, said:

Do not forget. They are taking 122 54 from us. That crap can not be justified by anything

It is obviously your favorite tank and you do very well in it.

DeadArashi #6 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 09:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 20 battles

I wouldn't mind the TD changes if they had just buffed the gun arc and armor of tier 7 and 8. I wouldn't even mind the Obj 263 being at tier 9 if they had given the Obj 268 V4 at tier 10 the 130mm the 263 has right now so they line could be well armored snipers with low alpha, high DPM guns.

But they didn't, and it now suffers the same issue the line currently does, where the tanks before the tier 10 are crapand cant be played like the final tank. Well done WG, you went full [edited]

Edited by DeadArashi, Feb 01 2018 - 09:23.

Slim_Shadee #7 Posted Feb 01 2018 - 09:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6351 battles

View PostSavage112, on Feb 01 2018 - 06:47, said:

It is obviously your favorite tank and you do very well in it.

Its  one of the least played on the server. What he really meant was he wasn't getting to keep a tank he didn't play in his garage and get another one free.

Mikosah #8 Posted Feb 07 2018 - 02:40

Major

• Players
  • 17533 battles

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 01 2018 - 02:54, said:

Its  one of the least played on the server. What he really meant was he wasn't getting to keep a tank he didn't play in his garage and get another one free.

All the same, the thought that WG just couldn't figure out how to make the line popular without having to resort to such drastic measures is frankly ridiculous. Just a couple more degrees of gun depression and gun traverse would have been all it took to make the current 263 line into perfectly usable and effective snipers.

themusgrat #9 Posted Feb 07 2018 - 02:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 28965 battles
  • [D-O-S] D-O-S

The 263 is already fine, and there are easy ways to fix the line. Reworking, changing, and taking away tanks is almost always going to be an awful idea. 

You'll notice WG didn't put up a "discuss on the forum" link on their recent announcements, they already know our opinion, and don't want to hear it.

Of course the actual joke is that WG doesn't even know what the NA server thinks, they said screw NA server long ago.

DeadArashi #10 Posted Feb 08 2018 - 04:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 20 battles

View Postthemusgrat, on Feb 07 2018 - 01:58, said:

Of course the actual joke is that WG doesn't even know what the NA server thinks, they said screw NA server long ago.

situations no better over here on the Asia server aye. 

ASG_The_Destroyer #11 Posted Feb 08 2018 - 16:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles
  • [WAFFE] WAFFE

Do agree with you that WG made The IS-4 branch useless even more.  However, i don’t believe that the 430U is a knockoff 121, they both can be used differently and personally, I like the 121 better because of better mobility, DPM and a few other factors.  I also 100% agree that the 258v4 is a unique tank, and it was great when I played in it.  Now WG’s only job is to buff the normal 268 more

Also tagged with potato_factory

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users