KV-5 - Is It Finally Time To Say Goodbye?

KV-5

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: KV-5 Gun Characteristics (94 members have cast votes)

Do you find the KV-5's current gun values are inadequate in the current iteration of the game?

1. No - I think the KV-5 is fine as is. Spam that gold! (14 votes [14.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

2. Yes - The KV-5 needs better penetration and accuracy to fulfill it's role as a credit maker. (64 votes [68.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.09%

3. Not Sure - I'm undecided. (5 votes [5.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.32%

4. I don't own a KV-5. (10 votes [10.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

5. What the heck is a KV-5? (1 vote [1.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

Do you find the KV-5's current armor values are inadequate in the current iteration of the game?

1. No - I feel the KV-5's armor is adequate for the time being. (37 votes [39.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.36%

2. Yes - My poor Radio Operator's family never received his benefits. (43 votes [45.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.74%

3. Not Sure - I'm undecided. (2 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

4. I don't own a KV-5. (12 votes [12.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

Do you find the KV-5's current mobility values are inadequate in the current iteration of the game?

1. No - I feel the KV-5 is sufficiently mobile. (48 votes [51.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.06%

2. Yes - I can't move my fat hide around the battlefield! (28 votes [29.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

3. Not Sure - I'm undecided. (8 votes [8.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

4. I don't own a KV-5. (10 votes [10.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

Is it time to say goodbye to the KV-5?

1. No - Not the legend! I love it! Never let go, NEVER LET GO! (52 votes [55.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

2. Yes - Sell it and buy a Defender already, you penniless casual. (17 votes [18.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

3. Not Sure - I'm undecided. (13 votes [13.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.83%

4. I don't own a KV-5. (11 votes [11.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.70%

5. WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK IS A KV-5?! (1 vote [1.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

dbringer #21 Posted Apr 19 2018 - 01:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 16445 battles
the kv-5 is alot like my jag 8.8. At one time it was considered a strong threat and when used correctly could turn the tide at times and make a huge difference. Now it's almost like being a handicap having it out there in some matches. Still viable at times and in certain circumstances, but has fallen behind in the power creep. I say do what I do with my jag 8,8, keep it as the crew trainer, take it out at times as nostalgia sort of thing, but definitely don't sell it or get rid of it, a garage slot is easier to get than a classic like the kv-5

VooDooKobra #22 Posted Apr 19 2018 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 9817 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
i would at the very least wait and see what options they are working on for it 

QuisicalGod_GW #23 Posted Jan 01 2019 - 15:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 11045 battles
  • [PT-CT] PT-CT

So this is going to be a massive bump to this topic, so apologies to those who had forgotten it. TLDR; At the bottom

Recently started up the ol' KV-love machine again. Read through this thread and I find myself agreeing with the vast majority of the points made by the OP about the minor tweaks/buffs it should receive. However I would like to add in that it is entirely possible to get a decent game more often then not. Now I am by no means a great player, pretty average if I get my own say so, but I've been employing the classic reverse sidescraping where possible to hide the lovely R2D2 we all love. It seems to work pretty well as despite how aged and creeped the tank is these days, people just hit 2 and expect to go through things so when that fails they start trying for classic flat spots. Which with the 190mm of frontal turret armor it has now, just means give a little wiggle and viola. You bounce or eat shots.

Onto the gun;

My own personal ammo loadout is 40 APCR, 15 AP, and 5 HE (pesky rat tanks that dare challenge stallinium). I know a lot of people would just load full APCR but there are games where you may get top tier and still need the major load of APCR, buutttt there are also many new paper tanks in the game that the standard AP will handle just fine (plus I'm cheap if I'm being honest here). What they could/should mayhaps invest in is maybe giving the KV-5 a slightly upscale version of the same gun. Not exactly the KV-4's 107mm but something a little better than the T-150's 107. The alpha is perfect where it is, at least for me it feels comfortable. But the penetration at 186mm, even with the buffs, still feels to low when you're facing 252U's, IS-M's, VK 100.01P's, (god forbid any tier Japanese heavy thats face to you) and lord above if you face the young but stout KV-4. The premium APCR at 219mm, while yes it feels more comfortable at tier 8 gameplay, is severly lacking when it comes to that offshoot/rare tier 9 match-up. I would dare say it lacks against the O-Ho if you are unlucky enough to see one frontally. 

Now this could be my lack of experience with the tank/game itself (presently around 10k battles, recovering from my younger days of not understanding the actual mechanics of the game years and years ago, forgive me stat lords), but I should not 100% have to use my premium ammunition in order to be successful in a tank. I could maybe have a large portion of it and sure spam away hoping to penetrate *cough cough defender cough cough*. However, if I am aiming for weakspots, the front drive wheels, etc. I should be able to use standard ammunition to (tank dependent) penetrate a weakspot let's say 35/65 in favor of 35 being penetrating hits given the caliber and tier of the gun (subject to change if the gun receives an up-tier or anything of the sort). Even that would be better than hearing "We didn't penetrate their armor" hitting the Cupola of a Tiger II with APCR rounds. As was said previously I believe due to the standard of power creep in the game, the KV-5 either needs to be seriously re-thought in terms of armament or to have the gun it currently has upscaled to what would be heftily considered the top gun on a tier 7 heavy (a gun similar to the 20 pounder on the Caer for example. Still rapid firing enough to be a threat, with lower then standard tier 8 alpha damage but with a nerfed penetration value compared to the 20 pounder in order to maintain the guns trade off for all the armor / decent mobility of the tank. And then for accuracy you could slightly change the dispersion let's say from .35 with a 100% crew and food to maybe .33 or .32; still a minor enough change to make it not a sniping tank, but enough to allow weakspot sniping on the newer tanks introduced into the game or general snipe shots where needed. The aim time with a 100% crew w/BIA and food @ 2.02s is perfectly fine with me however).

The armor eh?

The armor profile when viewed from the rear of the tank, in a sidescraping position, is still incredible strong, so long as you wiggle the tank and turret so as to avoid showing the flat of the turret directly to their gun. However from the front, it isn't nearly as good. The very obvious weakspot of the radio operators motel suite is still perfectly fine with me (as the tank w/o weakspots is a monster all on its own buff or no buff), but the armor around it is starting to show it's age given how very flat it all is. The commanders cupola could maybe do with a slight, slight buff (?) to help adjust for the insanely high penetration or laser accurate guns that have been introduced into the game. Maybe buff the upper plate to 185mm as it has a slight enough angle to bounce shots semi-reliably, and buff the lfp by 5-10mm so that tier 8's (cough defender again) cant just wing shots at your lower plate (granted you have to over expose yourself sidescraping for this to happen) when you peek corners (extreme angles I have had several tanks be able to bust through the angle though it is entirely plausible I just suck at the KV-5, again I have few games in it by comparison to most owners). The side's and rear of the tank are fine, 100% fine. 150mm on the side is 100% fine and 140mm at the rear is 100% fine. These are values that should not, nor ever be adjusted as they are really the big saving throws for the overall armor profile imo.

**PS More armor stuff**

The god dang gun mantlet. I know the russians aren't known for haivng the super stronk gun mantlets of the american heavies or the british anythings, but come on, really now? I can handle a tier 8 throwing gold through it, but when a T29's 105mm punches it with standard ammunition I have to draw a line.

That is all. Thank you for enduring the rant :)

TLDR; I'm an average joe just adding his 3 cents to a dead thread; the tank is fine, honestly. Possibly rework the gun so it has something like the Caer's 32 pounder gun. Rapid firing as it is currently, maintain the 107's accuracy with maybe slight dispersion buffs, give it slightly nerfed penetration compared to the 32 pdr. Instead of 220mm of standard pen, maybe give it 194-198mm of standard and 225-236mm of premium penetration. As for the armor, maybe buff the commanders hatch as we have new tanks with insanely accurate, or high penetration guns (the vast majority) if not both of these things. And possibly buff the frontal armor by adjusting the base thickness values of the UFP by 10mm and the LFP by 5-10mm. Leave the Radio Op's motel room alone as it is designed as a weakspot, and one that can be hidden via certain cover and/or reverse sidescraping.

Thanks fer reading, enjoy your new year :) Merry tanking !

Also tagged with KV-5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users