WOT 1.0 Needs a New Advertising Campaign for NA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 17:42

Major

• Players
  • 29075 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

I am so impressed with what the developers have done with 1.0.  I really think it is a major improvement to the game, and believe that it would appeal both to new gamers as well as those members who've left.

WOT's advertising in NA has always been weird.  The commercials I have seen might build brand awareness - but often make the game look plain silly or only appealing to casuals.  The reality is that WOT is complex (which makes it interesting) - but easily approachable.  It's a FPS in tanks; the commercials fail to demonstrate that.  Nothing I've seen in the advertising makes the game look like a serious competitor to Battlefield 1 or COD... but they should.

I would strongly suggest that WGNA hold a contest (with adequate rewards) for player-made commercials, as well as try for a different approach going forward with 1.0.

You have a real opportunity to reinvigorate the NA market, bring back older players and communicate what WOT is to thousands of gamers who've dismissed WOT as some kind of silly, weird game with smashemup tanks.

CapnNoahJoJo03 #2 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15912 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
+1

CynicalDutchie #3 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 40632 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC
This game is nothing like BF or CoD though. WoT requires skill to master, BF and CoD require fast reflexes. Most of the game is also spend in third person, not first person.

BlackFive #4 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:11

Major

• Players
  • 29075 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostCynicalDutchie, on Feb 09 2018 - 18:08, said:

This game is nothing like BF or CoD though. WoT requires skill to master, BF and CoD require fast reflexes. Most of the game is also spend in third person, not first person.

Yep - and that is how you distinguish WOT.  It's every bit as good as those titles, but WAY more strategic than spastic... and that appeals to a LOT of people; most of whom have never considered WOT - because it looks casual and silly from the ads.

Alpine_gremlin #5 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23736 battles
  • [BEEER] BEEER
While I agree that the game looks damn good, it does nothing to address the issues with gameplay and tank balancing. These issues are years in the making, and no graphical update alone is going to change that. WG doesn`t give a damn about the NA server or its players; its made that clear on more than one occasion. Good advertising isn`t going to save anything unfortunately.

Silversound #6 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:24

Major

• Players
  • 38784 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

WoT's advertising sucks.

Whoever approved them should have been fired.

If I had seen their ads before I found the game, I may have never tried it.

Just show the game, the garage, and the tech-tree

None of that stupid "funny" trash.

No celebrities or off topic humor.

Hell, they could even just show the RNG videos.

9InchBacon #7 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24983 battles
  • [9INCH] 9INCH

View PostAlpine_gremlin, on Feb 09 2018 - 12:21, said:

While I agree that the game looks damn good, it does nothing to address the issues with gameplay and tank balancing. These issues are years in the making, and no graphical update alone is going to change that. WG doesn`t give a damn about the NA server or its players; its made that clear on more than one occasion. Good advertising isn`t going to save anything unfortunately.

^This^

WOT has dumped the NA server. They made that clear a week ago. With Yoot moving on, others are to follow. WOT NA is dead.

BlackFive #8 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 18:33

Major

• Players
  • 29075 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

Support.jpg

LOL @ Support - No one reads ANYTHING

Kamahl1234 #9 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 18393 battles

View PostSilversound, on Feb 09 2018 - 17:24, said:

WoT's advertising sucks.

Whoever approved them should have been fired.

If I had seen their ads before I found the game, I may have never tried it.

Just show the game, the garage, and the tech-tree

None of that stupid "funny" trash.

No celebrities or off topic humor.

Hell, they could even just show the RNG videos.

IIRC these ads were never going to be aired, but due to acquiring cheap airtime for the superbowl (IIRC it was at least) they just aired whatever they had as they basically had no time to prepare a proper ad. 

Edited by Kamahl1234, Feb 09 2018 - 19:13.

9435 #10 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 20:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 147 battles

View PostBlackFive, on Feb 09 2018 - 17:42, said:

I am so impressed with what the developers have done with 1.0.  I really think it is a major improvement to the game, and believe that it would appeal both to new gamers as well as those members who've left.

WOT's advertising in NA has always been weird.  The commercials I have seen might build brand awareness - but often make the game look plain silly or only appealing to casuals.  The reality is that WOT is complex (which makes it interesting) - but easily approachable.  It's a FPS in tanks; the commercials fail to demonstrate that.  Nothing I've seen in the advertising makes the game look like a serious competitor to Battlefield 1 or COD... but they should.

I would strongly suggest that WGNA hold a contest (with adequate rewards) for player-made commercials, as well as try for a different approach going forward with 1.0.

You have a real opportunity to reinvigorate the NA market, bring back older players and communicate what WOT is to thousands of gamers who've dismissed WOT as some kind of silly, weird game with smashemup tanks.

Major Improvement?  How?  It's the same game with maps in HD now.  The same crap maps we have been playing all along, just in HD.  No new content.  It took them 3 years to convert to HD and still no new maps.  What a bunch of morons WG are.  How in the hell can you say this is good, this is old and should of been completed years ago.  I've never seen a dumber company when it comes to programming.

BlackFive #11 Posted Feb 09 2018 - 21:26

Major

• Players
  • 29075 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Post9435, on Feb 09 2018 - 20:09, said:

Major Improvement?  How?  It's the same game with maps in HD now.  The same crap maps we have been playing all along, just in HD.  No new content.  It took them 3 years to convert to HD and still no new maps.  What a bunch of morons WG are.  How in the hell can you say this is good, this is old and should of been completed years ago.  I've never seen a dumber company when it comes to programming.

Entitled much?

Yeah it should have happened back when they first started promising the HAVOK engine.  Their money - makers' potato-powered toasters could not handle the load ...  So they scrapped it until RU was able to handle 2013 technology.

Face it: NA is not their primary market.  But while goofy vids may work for the Ruskies, they should be able to make a commercial that appeals to the markets they sell services to. And so far they've failed in NA

SkunkButt #12 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 04:21

Captain

• Players
  • 191 battles

More people have been brought into WoT by youtube than any other advertising campaign save banner ad spam (and even that's debatable).

From funny montage collections to complete battles to full on in depth vehicle reviews, youtube contributors have done more for the game than WG ever bothered to attempt.
And few of them have ever been compensated for their efforts, and even those that were *handsomely* compensated still cost WG less than 1% of any full on television campaign ever would.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users