Chassis Swap, needing guidance.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

JLdragon #1 Posted Feb 10 2018 - 00:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles
Working on an E50M Reskin and minor remodel.. totally noob at it but I have been searching and reading many forum on how to do "parts swap".
Using SD client btw.
I want to use the chassis from either the Panther 1 or Indien-Panzer and place it on the E50M.
What I have done so far.
extracted the Vehicle tier folders from the .pkg files via 7zip
copied all the chassis files into the lods, crash, collision, and normal folders.
Downloaded wottools, notepad++, and I know there something that has to do with scripts files.. totally unclear what and or where to look for extract, decrypt, etc.. to make this work.
do I need to rename / copy and or replace any of the .DDS files located in the vehicle folders?

I have been searching the forums and I find bits and pieces of how this is done but yet to find a successful working step by step guide.
any help on this would be greatly appreciated so that I can finish this reskin of my E50M.
When I get done with the reskin and parts swap I will be happy to post the new detailed reskin on my Tank skin thread available for all to enjoy, IF I can get it to work LOL.

and YES I know I will be the only one who will see it..

Edited by JLdragon, Feb 10 2018 - 00:12.

JLdragon #2 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 00:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

ok so I've had this post up for over a week now and honestly by now I would think someone would know about this considering how many remodelers we have in this game.. I would really appreciate the help on this..

As I stated B4, I have downloaded and installed Wottools, notepad++. and yes I know I will have to replace the , with a . in the .xml files.

I have searched high and low in every directory folder of my WoT and I have yet to find any .xml files that contain the information needed to complete this chassis swap..

I am wanting to use the Panther Medium chassis on the E50M chassis.

I have figured out that I have to copy and paste the panther chassis files from the lod, normal, crash into the E50M folder. its the rest of the total swap I am having trouble with.

do also copy the panther chassis .DDS file into the E50M folder and rename it accordingly?

or is that something that has to do with the .xml file info? and if so..

do I need to do the recolor on the panther tracks so that they look the way I want them too on the E50M recolor?

ANY kind of REAL help on this would be extremely helpful so that I can completely finish this recolor so that I can get it posted and available for anyone to use it.

I am using the SD World of Tanks client, just as an FYI.

Edited by JLdragon, Feb 18 2018 - 00:08.

Fett713 #3 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 01:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30972 battles
  • [BSI] BSI
You would take the panther lod0 files for the chassis, take the .model drag n drop into wottools, save it as .xml, delete the.xml after so it turns back to decompiled .model. open with notepad++, delete the parent and extant lines (this part allows you to only pack and use the lod0 by the way, no need for lod1-4), then save. Now with chassis swaps it gets tricky depending on the exhaust lines, so it can sometimes not jive right and you end up with a mess, so you may need further help for that. I'm not sure how either are written as I've not ever looked into either tanks visual processed files, which is where you will need to look. The primitives file you don't need to do anything with I believe except for outright remodeling. The skinning part can be whatever way you want to do it, either have the chassis reskin in the panthers folder, or you can put it in the e50's folder, if you go with e50 so it's all in one folder, then you have to redirect the .model and .visual-processed to look there. Hope this helps you out, if there's issues due to the exhaust lines, we can ask one of the other guys about it, I myself haven't attempted any chassis swaps so, not really sure there.

Edited by Fett713, Feb 18 2018 - 01:30.

JLdragon #4 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 04:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

tyvm for the info Fett.. glad to see that at least there are a few of ya out there willing to step up and help out.. I will follow your info and see how far i get with it.. hoping it will go well..

as far as the exhaust lines go, I'm guessing that most likely has something to do with how the model is built and then assembled into the game, but as far as i can tell by looking.. the panther, Panther II, E50, and E50M practically share the same body style and exhaust setup. The E50M is just a larger bulkier version of the panther in comparison in the game..

Again i appreciate the help :)

wookiee_monster #5 Posted Feb 20 2018 - 09:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19274 battles

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 18 2018 - 04:16, said:

tyvm for the info Fett.. glad to see that at least there are a few of ya out there willing to step up and help out.. I will follow your info and see how far i get with it.. hoping it will go well..

as far as the exhaust lines go, I'm guessing that most likely has something to do with how the model is built and then assembled into the game, but as far as i can tell by looking.. the panther, Panther II, E50, and E50M practically share the same body style and exhaust setup. The E50M is just a larger bulkier version of the panther in comparison in the game..

Again i appreciate the help :)

I think he is referring to exhaust nodes in the XML file. Basically the exhaust <nodes> within the XML file of the E50 need to match the <nodes> of the Panther or the Iindien Panzer (depending on which chassis you are going to swap in). I checked and it does.

JLdragon #6 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 04:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles
tyvm for confirming that Wookie, I appreciate it :)..
however I am still not having any luck trying to get this to work for me.. Been doing a lot more digging and come across several posts here and in the EU forum. So got a few questions possibly.
Does the 2 tanks I want to do the swap with have to have the same amount of wheels?
If yes then I will not be able to use any of the Panther variants since they have 8 wheels and the E50M only has 6.
If no, then I'm back to square one still trying to get this to work.
I found a post that Milky posted some interesting info on other files I would have to change? not just only deleting the parent and extent line?
Would the above be required as well and if so, which .XML would this be in since I now know that there are a few different ones that link to every tank?
the LoD0, Collision, and the Item_def/vehicles/german one?

By now you all are probably wondering what exactly am I trying to achieve?? well I didn't want to post any WIP on my E50M until I could do this myself but since this has been dragging on for over 2 weeks now and I have yet to figure all this Crazy stuff out, Here it is.
This recolor which is 98% complete, has taken me over a month to dissect and recolor every individual part. (basically 1-2 hours a night after work and weekends in between playing the game)
There are 3 variant as you can see.. 1 Red based flame, 1 Yellow based flame, and 1 Black edition.
Now the reason for the chassis swap.. I have been looking thru the techtree trying to find the closest shaped chassis with moon disc shaped wheels (or closest thing) to give this tank spun aluminum rims, much like Sly Stallone's Merc from the Movie "Cobra".. Sorry WG doesn't like Flikr either I guess.
As you can see the 2nd merc has rims VERY similar to the Panther variant tanks and also the VK28.01 (which btw has same amount of rollers)

So this is where I am thinking, what would it take for one of you remodelers to be able to do this for me because it seems that this not my forte and I am in a hopeless limbo to complete this Tank?
Here are my Futile options :(
Option 1. Continue to fight this most likely never ending battle and never finish it the way I want it too look.
Option 2. Willing to drop some gold (WoT), and or doubloons (WoWS), in payment if any of you would be willing to do the swap?
Option 3. As per 2 with payment, actually use your superior remodeling skills, create the moon discs, and place them over all of the current E50M wheels. (which would be great if you could also shorten the extended axles that protrude from the inner wheels as well so that the inner discs would look correct).
AS LONG AS this tank would work correctly ingame ofc :)
If any of you who know how to get this to work for me, and are willing to step up and end my frustration, send me a PM and or reply in this post.

Edited by JLdragon, Feb 23 2018 - 05:22.

JLdragon #7 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 05:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles
Now as far as the E50M and what I was kind of looks I was going for on it.
Semigloss charcoal black color
Rustic Hickory tool handles
twisted copper tow lines
Copper plated tow hooks
Spun Aluminum moon disc rims (still hopeful on that)
red brushed steel vents, front signal light
Blued steel nuts, bolts, and all equipment clamps
Stainless steel commanders hatch, straightbars, crankbar
Whats left to do.
Brushed Red steel - commander's viewports, rear hatch ring, gun viewport on top of turret
Barrel - might make a few options for swapout - red brushed steel, stainless steel, possible matte black and or gloss black.
then other misc small parts will prob go with the dark blued steel or copper.
Hope you all like the pics of it. Wanted to save it for when it was done, but right now I just want it finished and willing to drop a few $$ to get it over with if I have too.

And yes I will gladly post this as a download for you all to play.. Also was working doin the same on the Panther and Panther M10. Hence where I got the idea for those rims to go onto my E50M..

Edited by JLdragon, Feb 23 2018 - 05:21.

JLdragon #8 Posted Feb 26 2018 - 07:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

well.. I take it with almost 400 views on this topic and with no further replies and or PM, this just might snuff what I wanted to be the final touch on the E50M recolor. I would figure even if I was willing to donate WG gold, WOWS Doubloons and or possibly real $$ (if it had been an a remodeler with a website and the option available ofc.)

I will still be more then happy to share this tank with all 3 recolors options as you see in the above link to my imgur account. 

Its a bummer when 100's of people willing to read or just breeze over this thread hoping it would give some real insight, but  trying to get any help, further detailed info, or even just a single PM now-n-days on this forum is slowly taking away from what it used to be like and willingness to help others.

Edited by JLdragon, Feb 26 2018 - 07:02.

JLdragon #9 Posted Feb 26 2018 - 07:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles
for the bit of informational help from wookie and Fett.. tyvm for that, just not enough help to fully understand what I needed to do to make the chassis swap a finishing touch.

TheFalkonett #10 Posted Feb 26 2018 - 15:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 26 2018 - 07:01, said:

Its a bummer when 100's of people willing to read or just breeze over this thread hoping it would give some real insight, but  trying to get any help, further detailed info, or even just a single PM now-n-days on this forum is slowly taking away from what it used to be like and willingness to help others.

The NA forum is kinda dead. Especially the skinning section. There's more going on in the EU forum, but the 250 battle restriction is... well... annoying for users from other servers.

What hasn't been mentioned so far, is the change that you have to make in the .xml for a chassis to work.

You need to replace everything after the chassis model.

Spoiler

Then make sure, that the path for the tracks are correct

Spoiler

And in the end, this should probably stay untouched. I'm not sure whether this is necessary, but it's collision stuff, so I just leave it as is.

Spoiler

This is what it looks like with the .primitives_processed, .visual_processed, .track and the textures in place (res_mods/0.9.22.0.1/vehicles/german/G73_E50_Ausf_M).

Spoiler

And so you can use it, look at it, compare it, learn from it, idk what else, here's everything packed together: Download

JLdragon #11 Posted Feb 27 2018 - 06:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

To you Falkonette, I SALUTE YOU!.. you have ended this ongoing battle with a devastating blow to the enemy! The E50M Black Edition shall rise and claim its spot on the battlefield! You have prevailed where others have failed to heed the call of a fellow WG player who's luck had all but run out on achieving the end goal.

I will make Damn sure that when I finish this that your name will be given FULL credit for the finalization of this tank and available for download.. If there will ever be any need for any kind of Recoloring of ANY tank that you desire, I will Rise to the occasion and do my damnedest to not fail you!

I look forward to finally getting to see this project complete and put on display!

BTW I love how you displayed it! is that your garage setting in the center of Mittengard??

TheFalkonett #12 Posted Feb 27 2018 - 11:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 27 2018 - 06:17, said:

If there will ever be any need for any kind of Recoloring of ANY tank that you desire, I will Rise to the occasion and do my damnedest to not fail you!

Well, recolours are easy. Especially for tier 8 prems and teir 10s, since they have a built in colour mask for the customization 2.0 paint. So that won't be necessary.

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 27 2018 - 06:17, said:

BTW I love how you displayed it! is that your garage setting in the center of Mittengard??

And yeah, that is Mittengard. Kinda sad they'll remove it with 1.0, so I won't be able to use that garage anymore.

JLdragon #13 Posted Feb 27 2018 - 16:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

The new paint schemes are blah imo, so to rephrase, a custom unique paint job, Much like the one I am in process on the E50M :) 

Well as far as the garage goes, we are supposed to be getting a while new look with crew walking around in it and outdoors soon, according to the upcoming patch notes..

TheFalkonett #14 Posted Feb 27 2018 - 20:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 27 2018 - 16:26, said:

The new paint schemes are blah imo, so to rephrase, a custom unique paint job, Much like the one I am in process on the E50M :) 

Nah, you misunderstood me. The new paints use a colour-mask so they don't affect the bare metal parts, aswell as the dirt & dust. Using said mask, it's rather easy to skin something and have it look decent.

View PostJLdragon, on Feb 27 2018 - 16:26, said:

Well as far as the garage goes, we are supposed to be getting a while new look with crew walking around in it and outdoors soon, according to the upcoming patch notes..

Yeah, but I still prefer Mittengard for remodel/skin previews. Gotta look for a new spot now. Maybe Ruinberg's center.

JLdragon #15 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 05:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

Block Quote

The new paints use a colour-mask so they don't affect the bare metal parts, aswell as the dirt & dust. Using said mask, it's rather easy to skin something and have it look decent.

ok so ya got me kinda lost.. So far I have been using the basic "****"_MM.DDS file to do my recolors.. ya mentioned the new paints using a colour mask to edit.. do you mean the paint can recolor options in the exterior? if so I didn't think about editing them for reskins.

On the subject of my E50M.. seems that the .XML is not reading the Panther chassis MM.DDS files from the E50M tank folder (which was included in the download file in that location). It is still reading from the Panther .DDS file folder location.

Is this something that can be changed in the .XML file? If not then just means my Panther AND my E50M will both have the same recolored chassis rims (I can live with that if need be)

And can the Chassis tracks / wheel model be shifted back a few notches so that they are more centered on the Tank hull?

I'm guessing that the Game associates the chassis to autoalign with the front drive wheel location.. If this cant be changed, no biggie.

The tracks in the back are well into the E50M's rear axle hub. so the shift back to where they just barely are hitting it would help the aesthetics.

I have Coffee's XML editor downloaded so just a little bit more info for these small tweaks if it is possible doable would be awesome.

Edited by JLdragon, Mar 01 2018 - 05:39.

TheFalkonett #16 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 17:06

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostJLdragon, on Mar 01 2018 - 05:38, said:

ok so ya got me kinda lost.. So far I have been using the basic "****"_MM.DDS file to do my recolors.. ya mentioned the new paints using a colour mask to edit.. do you mean the paint can recolor options in the exterior? if so I didn't think about editing them for reskins.

A colour mask. What's so hard to understand about that? It's a black & white image, that acts as a filter. If you use WG's colour mask, that is used for the paint, yourself, you can just work on a seperate layer and not paint over dust & bare metal

Spoiler

Btw, the files are AM (Albedo Map), ANM (Alpha, Normal Map), GMM (Gloss, Metallic Map (now also the paint's colour-mask)) & AO (Ambient Occlusion (and camo mask)).

This is from the Chassis.model that was in the DL: <nodefullVisual>vehicles/german/G03_PzV_Panther/normal/lod0/Chassis</nodefullVisual>

I goofed up there. It should be: <nodefullVisual>vehicles/german/G73_E50_Ausf_M/normal/lod0/Chassis</nodefullVisual>

Updated the DL. Or just edit it yourself. Your choice, do whatever you want to ¯\_ツ_/¯

About moving the chassis... not too sure... I never touched chassis so far, since they are a pain in the [edited] (WG's forum software is developing I see) to mess around with. Milky has more experience with them.

Edited by TheFalkonett, Mar 01 2018 - 17:35.

JLdragon #17 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 18:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16017 battles

Awesome deal, ty yet agian! Ya rock! I will redl and update the file. 

Thought so on the chassis as well.. I'm more then happy then with the way it is.

I'll check into the colour mask and give it a go for editing.. great info!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users