★ [Guide] HD Maps & Gameplay Changes - AIRFIELD Edition ★

The Scorpions Den Scorpiany Airfield Guide HD World of Tanks 1.0 Maps WZ-132-1 9.22 Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Scorpiany #1 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:14

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 32618 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

The HD maps have brought about a huge graphic improvement to the game. However, the gameplay on all of the maps has changed as well. Some changes are significant, others aren't.

In this guide, I'm going to cover all changes to maps that will impact gameplay as you currently know it. The map covered in this guide is Airfield. Let's get started, shall we?

You can go far out into the water from K6

The water area has always been accessible to some extent, but the HD varient of Airfield has made the shallow end of the water a lot large.

It's not extremely useful, but it can help you get some distance, set up ambushes, etc. in certain scenarios.

You can't climb up to the Eastern base anymore

The ridgelines by the Eastern base used to allow you to take a shortcut climb up to the base without issue. Unfortunately, that's been patched up. If you want to get to the base, you'll have to go around.

The sniping bushes in the northeast are a lot thicker

The bushes to snipe from have become a lot thicker and more prominent. There are also more bush locations in general.

The added benefit of these bushes is that you can double-bush effectively and stay hidden, without going into the typical camping corner.

You can climb past the bushes at E7 again

As before 9.21, you can climb past the bushes at E7 again. This lets you push further fowards and get onto high ground.

Whether you spot from here, or shoot, is up to you and how the battle has developed.

The camping bushes at B0 have moved around a bit.

The changes back here aren't very significant, but as with most maps, some of the foliage & cover has moved around a bit. This may slightly affect your lines of fire.

Nothing has really changed about the hill at H6

Despite it looking very different, the entire southern side of the map is mostly the same. The only real difference is that the ruins of the colosseum are harder to climb on top of, but that's usually not something that people do in the first place.

The camping rock at B4 has shrunken in size.

The rock many light tanks or tank destroyers hide behind has shrunken. It still has a bush next to it, and it still provides cover, but it may not block arty shells nearly as well. Don't be surprised if you get splashed around the corner from a well-placed artillery shell.

The shortcut climb at J2 for the Western base has been covered with rocks.

Just like with the Eastern spawn, the shortcut climb has also been patched for the Western side.

This wasn't nearly as useful for the West, but it could still help for getting a reset a little bit faster. Now you'll have to go around the ridge.

There you go folks! Those are all of the meaningful changes to Airfield that are different from the current patch, 9.22.

The HD maps are coming out very soon, most likely in the middle of March. As such, I figured that it would be useful for the community to see what kind of changes are coming, without having to download the test client themselves.

I hope this helps you orient yourself on the new HD maps! Let me know if you have any questions! Best of luck everyone! :honoring:

Edited by Scorpiany, Feb 12 2018 - 00:30.

Scorpiany #2 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:25

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 32618 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

I'm going to be uploading these in alphabetical order. Not much really changed on Airfield... But that's not the case for some of the other maps!

Next up, is Cliff. The meta will certainly change on Cliff, to say the least.

Riptide109 #3 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:30

Major

• Players
  • 10894 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Feb 11 2018 - 15:14, said:

The map covered in this guide is Abbey

Krovven #4 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16604 battles
This isn't Abbey. Need to change the map in your copy and paste intro... :)

saru_richard #5 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 23978 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL
so basically nothing of importance has changed...

Scorpiany #6 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:33

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 32618 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostRiptide109, on Feb 11 2018 - 15:30, said:

View PostKrovven, on Feb 11 2018 - 15:31, said:

This isn't Abbey. Need to change the map in your copy and paste intro... :)

I had thought I fixed that; I guess my cloud draft synched right before I made that change, and then reloaded with "Abbey" still written.

FeelsBadMan. Who is this terrible content creator, I would never read his lazy content again. :trollface:

Rocketmandb #7 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:44

Major

• Players
  • 50702 battles
  • [CARTE] CARTE

Scorp,

I really appreciate you taking the time to put our these overviews. I don't have the time to go mess with the test server so seeing these changes in a concise format is quite nice.

Scorpiany #8 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:47

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 32618 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostRocketmandb, on Feb 11 2018 - 15:44, said:

Scorp,

I really appreciate you taking the time to put our these overviews. I don't have the time to go mess with the test server so seeing these changes in a concise format is quite nice.

I figured that there would be a lot of people who can't play on the test client for various reasons, so the hope was that creating an overview of changes would let people still get information about any important changes that are made.

I'm glad it's helpful for you! :honoring:

firecomet234 #9 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5417 battles
  • [CDNEH] CDNEH
Thank you for this well written guide! The new HD maps look really good - do you think low-end computers / laptops would be able to run the graphics?

Scorpiany #10 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 00:52

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 32618 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postfirecomet234, on Feb 11 2018 - 15:48, said:

Thank you for this well written guide! The new HD maps look really good - do you think low-end computers / laptops would be able to run the graphics?

In general, the HD maps are optimized very well. Some people may need to turn down their graphics settings a bit, but the overall quality of the graphics should still be an improvement even with lower settings.

But on mid-end and higher machines, most people have been saying that they're able to run the same graphics quality at the same FPS, or even higher.

I'm running a laptop with a GTX 960M, I'm able to run them at 40-50 FPS on Max graphics, same as usual. The only thing that really changed is that my GPU and CPU temperatures are higher than usual while playing on the test client.

tod914 #11 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 56784 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS
I think they went a bit overboard on some of the patches/blocks that were implemented in 1.0.  The prior HD maps still had some access points, which were not game breaking.  Unfortunately these changes add even more weight to the heavy meta.  Thanks for putting this together.  Well done, as always.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users