Will WoT Update 1.0 continue to be Mac compatible?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

R1S100 #1 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 03:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles

Hey all,

Does anyone know for sure yet if WoT 1.0 will continue to work on Macs? I use a MacBook Air, and I'm able to run WoT on minimum graphics settings currently - with a very decent ping and fps. Any news on what's coming up?

Thanks!

R1S100

xrays_ #2 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 04:16

Major

• Players
  • 46271 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

I would think it could be a while before 1.0 is properly ported and/or bug free, but I doubt anyone here will know until it actually happens.

My suggestion to you would be to go the Bootcamp route and bypass everything related to the wrapper so you won't have issues. I run MacOS as my primary and boot into a Windows 10 drive to play WoT, but I have run the wrapper in the past just to test it - there is definitely a noticeable efficiency boost when running directly in Windows as opposed to through the Mac wrapper utility.

x.

R1S100 #3 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 15:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles

Hey bud, thanks for your help and input - 

However, you'll have to consider me Mac illiterate when it comes to Boot Camp and efficiency and the like. How does Boot Camp work? I have Boot Camp Assistant installed on my computer, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do to reach the goal of running WoT using Boot Camp.

Does it allow you to play WoT on Mac (using Boot Camp) with higher graphics settings?

Thanks!

R1S100

View Postxrays_, on Feb 12 2018 - 04:16, said:

I would think it could be a while before 1.0 is properly ported and/or bug free, but I doubt anyone here will know until it actually happens.

My suggestion to you would be to go the Bootcamp route and bypass everything related to the wrapper so you won't have issues. I run MacOS as my primary and boot into a Windows 10 drive to play WoT, but I have run the wrapper in the past just to test it - there is definitely a noticeable efficiency boost when running directly in Windows as opposed to through the Mac wrapper utility.

x.

xrays_ #4 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 16:40

Major

• Players
  • 46271 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostR1S100, on Feb 12 2018 - 09:51, said:

However, you'll have to consider me Mac illiterate when it comes to Boot Camp and efficiency and the like. How does Boot Camp work? I have Boot Camp Assistant installed on my computer, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do to reach the goal of running WoT using Boot Camp. Does it allow you to play WoT on Mac (using Boot Camp) with higher graphics settings?

My next suggestion would be to read up a bit because it's not difficult, just something you have to put some time into.

Bootcamp is Apple's terminology for a system that allows you to boot from MacOS and Windows on the same hard drive, or on separate hard drives, with simply holding down the Option key during the boot process to select a different drive. A PC has a similar boot menu by pressing F12 during the boot process to access a menu of drives to boot from.

What it allows is for you to either partition a section of your internal drive (assuming you can and are willing to do this) for installing Windows. You can also use a second hard drive (I believe), so that you may have it external to a laptop. However, once configured, you will still need a Windows install disk, because, unlike the MacWrapper, it requires an actual operating system to install. But, once Windows is installed, you have full access to all the hardware in your computer devoted to running WoT, bypassing all the intermediate conversion code that runs within the Wrapper itself.

In the past, when I've tested it, I noticed about a 20% boost in overall performance when running directly in Windows over using the MacWrapper. On a slightly older machine, this can mean the difference between playable and detrimental graphics performance. Assuming your computer is less than 5 years old, I think this could benefit you well enough to run WoT 1.0. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can run the CT Server on the MacWrapper, so you will have to wait and see.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/boot-camp

Good luck!

x.

R1S100 #5 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 19:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles

Ah yes, I understand how it works now - watched a video or two on how Boot Camp works. Unfortunately, I don't have an enormous excess of space left on my computer's storage, and most of my GBs are being used up by things I can't get rid of. 

I'm not sure if fully relying on WG has ever been a good idea :), but I will say that I'm just going to have to sit back and watch to see how this update (1.0) develops for the Mac community. I can't imagine that WG would just shave off thousands of  players (and lots of income, I'm sure)  because they couldn't make their new EnCore Graphics Engine suitable for Apple systems; I'm assuming that they're doing something with CodeWeavers to try and see what it'll take to make sure that it's up and running. 

Boy, 11,000 battles later, I'm hoping that they don't forget about us Mac warriors!

R1S100

black_colt #6 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 22:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostR1S100, on Feb 12 2018 - 10:48, said:

Ah yes, I understand how it works now - watched a video or two on how Boot Camp works. Unfortunately, I don't have an enormous excess of space left on my computer's storage, and most of my GBs are being used up by things I can't get rid of. 

I'm not sure if fully relying on WG has ever been a good idea :), but I will say that I'm just going to have to sit back and watch to see how this update (1.0) develops for the Mac community. I can't imagine that WG would just shave off thousands of  players (and lots of income, I'm sure)  because they couldn't make their new EnCore Graphics Engine suitable for Apple systems; I'm assuming that they're doing something with CodeWeavers to try and see what it'll take to make sure that it's up and running. 

Boy, 11,000 battles later, I'm hoping that they don't forget about us Mac warriors!

R1S100

Boot Camp does not support installing MS Windows onto an external drive.  There are ways to do this but they are not for the faint of heart.

If you have an iMac with two internal drives then you can install MS Windows on one of the internal drives without issue.

Personally, if you cannot install MS Windows, then the best course of action is to want until the WoT Mac Wrapper is updated.

R1S100 #7 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles
Yeah I'm just going to have to wait. Sadness :(. I know I'm just trying to convince myself that the worst isn't going to happen, but I can't imagine that WoT would just shave off their Mac community - WE'RE STILL HERE, WG!!! GIVE US AN UPDATE!

cloudwalkr #8 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 53844 battles
  • [SYNGZ] SYNGZ

View PostR1S100, on Feb 12 2018 - 19:48, said:

R1S100

hope they don't forget about you as well, bud.  Fingers crossed for those in your situation.

black_colt #9 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 17:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostR1S100, on Feb 12 2018 - 06:51, said:

Hey bud, thanks for your help and input - 

However, you'll have to consider me Mac illiterate when it comes to Boot Camp and efficiency and the like. How does Boot Camp work? I have Boot Camp Assistant installed on my computer, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do to reach the goal of running WoT using Boot Camp.

Does it allow you to play WoT on Mac (using Boot Camp) with higher graphics settings?

Thanks!

R1S100

Running MS Windows natively on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware COULD allow you to run at a higher graphics settings but there are many variables that must be taken into account.

If you want to run the HD client then you will need to run MS Windows on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware.

As you are using a MacBook Air I seriously doubt that you will see any significant value in running MS Windows as there is no dedicated graphics card in that hardware.

Edited by black_colt, Feb 13 2018 - 20:58.

R1S100 #10 Posted Feb 14 2018 - 15:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Feb 13 2018 - 17:49, said:

Running MS Windows natively on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware COULD allow you to run at a higher graphics settings but there are many variables that must be taken into account.

If you want to run the HD client then you will need to run MS Windows on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware.

As you are using a MacBook Air I seriously doubt that you will see any significant value in running MS Windows as there is no dedicated graphics card in that hardware.

Yep bud, I'm using a MacBook Air.

SPECS:

13-inch, Early 2015

Processor --> 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory --> 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics --> Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Startup Disk --> Macintosh HD

Not sure if any of this helps ya'll help me here. Do you happen to know if any of my computer's guts are able to handle nicer graphics than low for right now, and possibly for 1.0 when it's released? I currently have to run my WoT Client on "Low" graphics settings, but with everything boosted up as high as they allow you to under those parameters. So for instance, if you run WoT on Low, they'll only allow you to change your Terrain Quality 3/5 (or something like that), since Low setting doesn't use 5/5. 

Thanks for the help people!

-R1

black_colt #11 Posted Feb 14 2018 - 16:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostR1S100, on Feb 14 2018 - 06:28, said:

Yep bud, I'm using a MacBook Air.

SPECS:

13-inch, Early 2015

Processor --> 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory --> 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics --> Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Startup Disk --> Macintosh HD

Not sure if any of this helps ya'll help me here. Do you happen to know if any of my computer's guts are able to handle nicer graphics than low for right now, and possibly for 1.0 when it's released? I currently have to run my WoT Client on "Low" graphics settings, but with everything boosted up as high as they allow you to under those parameters. So for instance, if you run WoT on Low, they'll only allow you to change your Terrain Quality 3/5 (or something like that), since Low setting doesn't use 5/5. 

Thanks for the help people!

-R1

Unfortunately the hardware for a MacBook Air is not well suited for games - especially World of Tanks.

Additionally I do not have any Apple-branded Intel-based hardware that uses integrated graphics to test in order to give you some specific suggestions for the current WoT Mac Wrapper.

Nor can I give any insight into World of Tanks 1.0 for the same reason - lack of hardware with only integrated graphics to test.

You are already doing a good thing - adjusting the sliders.  This is the best way to [tweak] the game for your hardware so that you can get a setting[s] that is the best balance of performance [FPS] and graphics [visuals in the game] that you can live with.

I have two other recommendations:

If you are not already doing so, make sure that you run the WoT Mac Wrapper when your MacBook Air is plugged into the power supply. 

Why?  OS X/macOS can be very aggressive on throttling, etc to conserve battery when unplugged from a power supply

Install a third-party fan control app. 

Why?  A third-party fan control app allows you to ramp up the internal fans to help cool your hardware.  OS X/macOS is not good in anticipating and the fan-control app will allow you to get-ahead of any throttling by the OS due to high internal temps.

I have run Macs Fan Control from CRYSTALIDEA for many years to great success.  Just install, set a custom fan control and the app will help manage the internal temps which may allow you to keep playing at a constant FPS.  CRYSTALIDEA also makes a native MS Windows app for Apple-branded Intel-based hardware that works great when running MS Windows.

Other Items:

Apple is constantly improving the support of an external GPU in macOS High Sierra.  This could be, based on what features Apple exposes, a great thing as it would allow individuals with hardware that is not well suited for games/other task to plug into the external GPU and leverage that GPU for the game/task.

I am awaiting Apple to expose support for external Thunderbolt monitors so I can see how this works - currently debating replacing my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina with either a iMac Pro or the current 27-inch iMac 5K Retina but want to see if an external GPU is a better value.

Edited by black_colt, Feb 14 2018 - 16:47.

R1S100 #12 Posted Feb 15 2018 - 13:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles

Wow, you seem to know your stuff. I really appreciate the help! 

I've gotten WoT to run at 50-60 fps and with a ping of 40-100 now for about a year while running the game on lowest graphics, and if I pump my graphics up at all, my game goes kaput and my fps suffers terribly. I guess that the only thing I dislike about low settings is when you're shooting multiple premium HE shells from a Type 5 into a rock you can't see because low settings doesn't display most rock outcroppings in detail :(

Edited by R1S100, Feb 15 2018 - 13:47.

black_colt #13 Posted Feb 15 2018 - 16:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostR1S100, on Feb 15 2018 - 04:47, said:

Wow, you seem to know your stuff. I really appreciate the help! 

I've gotten WoT to run at 50-60 fps and with a ping of 40-100 now for about a year while running the game on lowest graphics, and if I pump my graphics up at all, my game goes kaput and my fps suffers terribly. I guess that the only thing I dislike about low settings is when you're shooting multiple premium HE shells from a Type 5 into a rock you can't see because low settings doesn't display most rock outcroppings in detail :(

Welcome - helping others out is the purpose of this Forum.

As for knowledgeable I guess ... bought my first Mac [SE/30] in 1992 and have been using Classic MacOS/OS X/macOS ever since.  Also ran NeXTOS, OpenStep, Solaris [Intel and SPARC], various flavours of MS Windows, OS/2, BeOS,  and too many Linux and BSD distributions to remember them all but I keep coming back to the Mac. 

Absolutely love my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina [32GB RAM, 512 PCIe SSD, and 4GB R9 M395x dedicated video card] so much that I used to run three OS[es] on it - OS X, MS Windows, and Ubuntu.  Right now it is just running macOS and MS Windows 10 Pro.

Really want to invest in a new iMac but probably will wait to see what the upcoming Mac Pro looks like ...

Also to be quite honest - really love putting those MS Windows bigots in their place when they complain about the Mac and have not even used one.

Yeah - it is rather frustrating to have those rocks jump out and bit you - hopefully with World of Tanks 1.0 that will be less of an issue since the maps have been reworked.

Deutschland_Johnny #14 Posted Feb 15 2018 - 22:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15729 battles

I just read this on the enCore portion of the intro to 1.0, in the Q&A

"What operating systems is World of Tanks enCore compatible with?
World of Tanks enCore is compatible with Windows XP SP3/Vista/7/8/10."

Any factual insight into the, maybe a note from Codeweavers?

black_colt #15 Posted Feb 16 2018 - 02:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostDeutschland_Johnny, on Feb 15 2018 - 13:16, said:

I just read this on the enCore portion of the intro to 1.0, in the Q&A

"What operating systems is World of Tanks enCore compatible with?
World of Tanks enCore is compatible with Windows XP SP3/Vista/7/8/10."

Any factual insight into the, maybe a note from Codeweavers?

No.

I am sure that CodeWeavers [who produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming] is looking at the enCore engine for issues.

CodeWeavers does not release beta versions of the WoT Mac Wrapper so users of the WoT Mac Wrapper will need to wait until at least March 2018 before we can run on OS X/macOS.

If you want to know if the enCore rating of your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware in advance of the release of World Of Tanks 1.0 then you can install MS Windows and run in MS Windows.  This will give you a rough idea of what to expect in terms of performance [rating] of your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware will run at when the updated WoT Mac Wrapper is released.  I did this on my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina and 15-inch MacBook Pro.

You could possibly [hack] the current WoT Mac Wrapper to run the enCore engine but that is not for the faint-of-heart and is not supported by CodeWeavers.

We just need to wait and see ...

Edited by black_colt, Feb 16 2018 - 02:24.

R1S100 #16 Posted Feb 16 2018 - 17:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles
Yeah that seems like the only thing we CAN do right now. I'm not understanding why WoT doesn't pay much attention to their Mac community though. It's the equivalent of a situation where a person gets a massive following of two different people groups, and then kind of ignores one of them in favor of the other. Well, I mean we're here now, so the devs could at least hazard a rough GUESS on what it'll do to Macs. I don't know. I don't meant to be repetitive, but it really is a waiting game. 

black_colt #17 Posted Feb 16 2018 - 18:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostR1S100, on Feb 16 2018 - 08:39, said:

Yeah that seems like the only thing we CAN do right now. I'm not understanding why WoT doesn't pay much attention to their Mac community though. It's the equivalent of a situation where a person gets a massive following of two different people groups, and then kind of ignores one of them in favor of the other. Well, I mean we're here now, so the devs could at least hazard a rough GUESS on what it'll do to Macs. I don't know. I don't meant to be repetitive, but it really is a waiting game. 

All we can do is wait ...

Since the code is still subject to change it does not make sense for CodeWeavers to disclose anything right now.  What may be an issue right this minute might be fixed in the next code release.

Generally developers wait until the code is frozen for release - e.g. Gold Master - BEFORE testing as this represents the final and fixed code.

Also CodeWeavers must obtain approval from Wargaming to release a version of the WoT Mac Wrapper.  This was a source of some delay in a fix from CodeWeavers being approved for a game stoppage issue [could not connect to server due to an obscure and specific set of circumstances in Wine] - hopefully Wargaming learned from this ...

p.s.

Do not agree with your analogy as Wargaming never supported the WoT Mac Wrapper.  The mistake Wargaming made is not making that clear when you download the WoT Mac Wrapper from their website.  Being able to simply download suggests that the app is supported.

I have suggested many times that individuals must click-through a warning - e.g. By downloading the WoT Mac Wrapper you agree that there is no support from Wargaming.  [OK] [Cancel] - BEFORE the DMG is downloaded to avoid confusion arising after spending legal tender and there is an issue.

Edited by black_colt, Feb 16 2018 - 18:42.

R1S100 #18 Posted Feb 16 2018 - 19:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12624 battles
Ahh understood, yes that makes sense. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users