Thoughts on XVM

XVM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

orangeandblue #1 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26678 battles

Okay yes, there's a lot of XVM threads out there right now but this probably isn't what you're typically seeing. I'm just weighing in on XVM as a "former" user and current "trialer" on the newer version. It's actually pretty simple, but my observation and experience thus far seems to indicate (at least to me) that the old method of determining a victor (I believe it was win rate %) and now goes by WN8 was more accurate than the newer WN8 method in determining who truly has the upper hand. I've been in several battles tonight where there was 30% to start with. I never announce to the rest of the team what I see because I really do believe that some take the "statistics" too seriously and proceed to put zero effort into a battle. I see the number and keep it to myself. Low and behold I'd say a good percentage of those battles we win, and I find myself watching that number change throughout the battle, and it's eventually climbing. It's occasionally been true, but the old way that XVM determined who had the upper hand seemed much more accurate. With WN8, I say it's probably just about anybody's game. 

Edited by orangeandblue, Feb 12 2018 - 08:03.

Slim_Shadee #2 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6351 battles
The XVM reply is simple: Its cancer toxic garbage an should be banned.

RedBaronK #3 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:07

Major

• Players
  • 39167 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 12 2018 - 07:04, said:

Uh no. If people want to use it, they should have the option to. However, we should also be given the option to mask or hide our own xvm wn8 to others to stop getting xvm sniped.

Personally, I don't use it. Dont need the distraction or to know how crappy my team is. 

Slim_Shadee #4 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6351 battles
If you hide it majority would and that is fine with me as that would kill it. Almost no one left in this game that uses it to target anyone. Not really sure they ever did except to target the worst players and pad stats. EU where my main account is you almost never hear a word about XVM..NA different story.

Edited by Slim_Shadee, Feb 12 2018 - 08:13.

Termitey #5 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 89036 battles
  • [GOD_Z] GOD_Z
xvm is a cheet fullstop BANN IT

Isola_di_Fano #6 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:33

Major

• Players
  • 20967 battles

Isola_di_Fano #7 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:34

Major

• Players
  • 20967 battles

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 12 2018 - 02:11, said:

If you hide it majority would and that is fine with me as that would kill it. Almost no one left in this game that uses it to target anyone. Not really sure they ever did except to target the worst players and pad stats. EU where my main account is you almost never hear a word about XVM..NA different story.

We are expert whiners in NA, that is the difference !

ClutchPin #8 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 12:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18425 battles
  • [DTC] DTC
Still see the occasional XVM whiner "GG we lost" chat at the beginning of the battle.

GeorgePreddy #9 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 13:21

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

It's great.

It makes the game more funnerer.

I use it.

Complainers are funny.

24cups #10 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 13:24

Captain

• Players
  • 22291 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
They should stop providing win chance %. That's the biggest problem.

Knagar #11 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 13:41

Captain

• Players
  • 20247 battles

View PostTermitey, on Feb 12 2018 - 02:30, said:

xvm is a cheet fullstop BANN IT

Try actually explaining why you think so, make a valid argument for yourself backed up with facts and data. 

You won't though, because it's not. It's a simple tool that anyone can use. A tool that has ZERO effect on gameplay and in no way gives anyone any advantage over another. Sure you can see who the good players are, might make you think about your engagement of them a little more, but it's not some guarantee that you'll win.

So please, explain how it is a cheat and why it should be banned.

Knagar #12 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 13:45

Captain

• Players
  • 20247 battles

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 12 2018 - 02:04, said:

That's about as ignorant and asinine an answer as your comment earlier about TKing people to teach them a lesson.

It's the players that need to change, not the tools. Even if you take XVM away, people can look up your stats. They can do it in game, they can do it through websites, information can be found with or without XVM.

The options are to disable stat tracking, have the ability to hide it from others, or have the community change for the better. Personally the second option is the only one you may ever likely see, and even then, it hasn't happened yet, even with all of the crying, and it probably won't.

cloudwalkr #13 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 53836 battles
  • [SYNGZ] SYNGZ

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 12 2018 - 08:04, said:

View PostRedBaronK, on Feb 12 2018 - 08:07, said:

Uh no. If people want to use it, they should have the option to. However, we should also be given the option to mask or hide our own xvm wn8 to others to stop getting xvm sniped.

Personally, I don't use it. Dont need the distraction or to know how crappy my team is. 

I agree with slim on this one, baron.  It's very easy to check session stats during or after you're done playing on 3rd party websites like wotlabs that i would be 100% for banning it in game.  I understand this wont happen, but that's how i feel about it.  It's toxic, creates massive amounts of badgering, both against bad players and good players...and promotes xvm sniping.  I would love to see it go away, it's just not going to happen.

I also think WG could easily solve this by going FoW and not showing player names, clans...any personal info except what tank is being played.  That would be the ideal system in my opinion.

Edit:  One last thing for the OP....turn off that damn % chance to win crap.  It's horrible and really not a solid indicator of what the match will be like.

Also, knagar....you're right.  At it's heart XVM isn't the real issue, it's the fact that most people don't have the capacity to use it as a tool but instead a griefing mechanic or a "free pass" to badger someone.  That's why i wish it was removed from the game.

The ones calling it a cheat are kinda funny though...lol

Edited by cloudwalkr, Feb 12 2018 - 14:30.

Da_Craw #14 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 14:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 25320 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postorangeandblue, on Feb 12 2018 - 01:01, said:

Okay yes, there's a lot of XVM threads out there right now but this probably isn't what you're typically seeing. I'm just weighing in on XVM as a "former" user and current "trialer" on the newer version. It's actually pretty simple, but my observation and experience thus far seems to indicate (at least to me) that the old method of determining a victor (I believe it was win rate %) and now goes by WN8 was more accurate than the newer WN8 method in determining who truly has the upper hand. I've been in several battles tonight where there was 30% to start with. I never announce to the rest of the team what I see because I really do believe that some take the "statistics" too seriously and proceed to put zero effort into a battle. I see the number and keep it to myself. Low and behold I'd say a good percentage of those battles we win, and I find myself watching that number change throughout the battle, and it's eventually climbing. It's occasionally been true, but the old way that XVM determined who had the upper hand seemed much more accurate. With WN8, I say it's probably just about anybody's game. 

You are making the exact same mistake that the whiners and suicides make.  OMG, we have less than a 50% chance to win!  That means we will lose!  The Eagles had a 37% win chance in the Superbowl per Vegas.

It is impossible for xvm to be wrong about a given game.  It always says both teams have a chance to win.  Ergo, regardless of which team wins, xvm was right, because xvm said that team had a chance.  The only way to determine if the win chance percentage is accurate is to track it over 1000s of games, but it will always be skewed for an individual.  The more the recent/per-tank rating differs from the overall the more you skew the data.  Obviously, when one team has a bunch of competent players and the other team has a bunch of noobs who can't get out of the cap circle without an international incident it is pretty easy to see who has the upper hand.  Putting a % on it is pointless.  

Kerosedge #15 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 15:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19489 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
Needs to be banned, allows players (mostly  arty) to single out the better players. It's an unfair advantage.

Kliphie #16 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 15:39

Major

• Players
  • 29888 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
It's just like weather forecasts.  How dare we have an idea what it might be like tomorrow.  Ban weathermen!!!!!!

Apache1990 #17 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 15:47

Major

• Players
  • 34769 battles
XVM is the best interface mod out there, with amazing customizability.  Showing stats is such a tiny part of the mod (which is practically a full mod pack by itself), that people really need to specify XVM-stat when they whine about it.

ThePigSheFlies #18 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 62426 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Feb 12 2018 - 02:11, said:

you're not watching the same unicum EU streamers that I watch.

they're frequently xvm focused, and obviously so when they're a bottom tier heavy and focused by 3 arty when a top tier, legitimate threat is within 3 tank lengths of them and often actually an easier target...

nuclearguy931 #19 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 73592 battles
  • [UMM] UMM
So is XVM whining the new alternative to arty whining?

Hurk #20 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 16:40

Major

• Players
  • 49959 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Feb 12 2018 - 08:31, said:

you're not watching the same unicum EU streamers that I watch.

they're frequently xvm focused, and obviously so when they're a bottom tier heavy and focused by 3 arty when a top tier, legitimate threat is within 3 tank lengths of them and often actually an easier target...

no, they arent. they are frequently the greatest threat, so shot at a lot. very rarely someone bothers to focus. 

considering less than 40% of players even run XVM, the chances that a "bad terrible arty player" would also know enough to load XVM?  none. 

I think you are intentionally discounting that good players stay in the fight, stay lit, unlike bad players that hide constantly, so make bad targets.

Also tagged with XVM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users