Some Tips For Mac User About to Install Bootcamp?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CapnNoahJoJo03 #1 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 18:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14339 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Okay worst bit first. I am a complete noob when it comes to technology. Like, how do I use this toaster kind of noob. So talk to me like a baby, please. But installing bootcamp does seem rather straightforward, even for my peabrain. I’ve watched a couple videos and read a few articles, and feel ready. I do have two big questions tho. 

1: Does it cost money to install Windows? Really I just want access to WoWP and Test Server.

2: How much space should I partition to Windows if the only thing I will play is WoT- and just thought of this, now I can try WoWP- and WoWP?

If any of you have any tips to help me, or any advisements, I would appreciate em.

Edited by CapnNoahJoJo03, Feb 12 2018 - 18:02.

AndrewSledge #2 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 18:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29520 battles
You need to own a copy of Windows to install it, so if you don't, then yes, it will cost you money.

dnaman #3 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 18:13

Captain

• Players
  • 28432 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_

Give it a lot of space.  I put an additional hard drive into my Mac Pro to deal with all the files.  I run a bunch of games on an older Mac, so the space was necessary.  Windows DOES cost money, but I bought a windows 7 license on amazon for like $20.  The 7 licenses will allow you to get windows 10 for 100% free.  So I’d suggest that route.  

Use the Microsoft ISO maker (on Microsoft’s site) to create a bootable USB to install from.  Once you have boot camp in, you’ll be able to install windows.  You’ll need that USB at that stage.

once windows is in and working (hopefully on first install), you can download and install the games.

dnaman #4 Posted Feb 12 2018 - 19:13

Captain

• Players
  • 28432 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
I can’t promise I’ll have all the answers, but message me if you get too stuck.  I had a lot of reading to do to make my very unsupported install fly...

CapnNoahJoJo03 #5 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 01:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14339 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
Well about 5 hours ago I decided to backup before doing bootcamp, and well, don’t think I’ve done one in a while, so it says I’ve got 3 hours to go... ughhhh

black_colt #6 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 05:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostCapnNoahJoJo03, on Feb 12 2018 - 09:02, said:

Okay worst bit first. I am a complete noob when it comes to technology. Like, how do I use this toaster kind of noob. So talk to me like a baby, please. But installing bootcamp does seem rather straightforward, even for my peabrain. I’ve watched a couple videos and read a few articles, and feel ready. I do have two big questions tho. 

1: Does it cost money to install Windows? Really I just want access to WoWP and Test Server.

2: How much space should I partition to Windows if the only thing I will play is WoT- and just thought of this, now I can try WoWP- and WoWP?

If any of you have any tips to help me, or any advisements, I would appreciate em.

​No worries we were all there once.

1: No - not initially.  Microsoft allows you to download and run MS Windows 10 Pro without activation for thirty [30] days.  After thirty [30] days you will need to purchase a full Retail version of MS Windows 10 Pro.  I did this for my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina.  Ended up purchasing a full Retail version as there are some acrobatics that you need to go through to run the Common Test and WoT Mac Wrapper and since I only play the game about two [2] percent of my time it was a good value that leveraged my existing hardware.

2: 256GB is a good partition size - you can partition 128GB [absolute minimum] but you cannot resize non-destructively the partition if you do not have enough space.  You could install MS Windows apps on an external drive [which is what I did] to conserve internal SSD/HDD space.  Recommend a Thunderbolt connection to the external drive NOT USB.

NOTES:

Boot Camp does not support installing MS Windows 7/10 on an external drive. Only drives on the internal bus of the machine are supported.  There are ways of doing installing on an external drive - but it is not for the faint-of-heart.

You may need, depending on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware, a USB drive.  The minimum size for this is 8GB and Boot Camp will completely erase the drive so be sure to remove any wanted data from the drive.  If your hardware supports USB 3 [though a native USB 3 port] then use USB 3 - USB 2 can be very slow both when Boot Camp installs the necessary files and when MS Windows installs the necessary files.  Boot Camp will create the required bootable USB - just download the correct ISO from Microsoft and follow the instructions from Boot Camp.

You cannot use an upgrade Product Activation Key or the Product Activation Key from a PC manufacturer.  A full version of MS Windows 10 Pro can cost from approximately USD 50 [license only] to approximately USD 130 [license and physical installation media].

Depending on your hardware you may only be able to run 32-bit MS Windows - see the Boot Camp documentation page for details.

Boot Camp installs custom AMD drivers for AMD graphics cards. You will not be able to initially update to the latest AMD drivers - but there a web site that will allow to you do so - bootcampdrivers.com

CLOSING:

Dual booting [running OS X/macOS and MS Windows] on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware is a good value in that you do not need two machines.  I have even set up my iMac to triple-boot [prior to OS X 10.11] with OS X/MS Windows/Linux

Edited by black_colt, Feb 13 2018 - 05:12.

dominator_98 #7 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 05:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 18950 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostAndrewSledge, on Feb 12 2018 - 11:11, said:

You need to own a copy of Windows to install it, so if you don't, then yes, it will cost you money.

You can run an unlicensed version for free, the only downside is you can't set your own background, but there's workarounds for that.

Also, you can buy Windows codes from kinguin.net for $30, compared to the $110 they go for on the Microsoft store. It seems sketchy, but the codes are 100% legit, I've bought 3 that worked fine for different PC's I've built, as well as several codes for other videogames.

black_colt #8 Posted Feb 16 2018 - 02:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postdominator_98, on Feb 12 2018 - 20:26, said:

You can run an unlicensed version for free, the only downside is you can't set your own background, but there's workarounds for that.

Also, you can buy Windows codes from kinguin.net for $30, compared to the $110 they go for on the Microsoft store. It seems sketchy, but the codes are 100% legit, I've bought 3 that worked fine for different PC's I've built, as well as several codes for other videogames.

Thanks for the information - all [last time I checked] of the Product Activation Code only providers on Amazon are gone and it is helpful to have suggestions on where to go now.

Edited by black_colt, Feb 16 2018 - 02:45.

BuckeyeJoe_JH #9 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 14:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2249 battles

Well I successfully installed Win 10 on an external Samsung T5 500 gig last night and ran the encore test at highest settings with good results (6292). I used the step by step guide from 9 to 5 Mac https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/31/how-windows-10-mac-boot-camp-external-drive-video/amp/

The guide is very straightforward and goes step by step plus there is a video to watch to see all the screens and choices. What I liked best about this method was that I didn’t need to muck around in Terminal. 

The only hitch was his suggestion to eject and then unplug/ replica the target HD to get the virtual Windows to recognize it did not work. I found a menu selection to mount usb device after wasted attempts using the guide’s method. I downloaded the 9.2 version of WOT but I was too tired to test it for frame rate; will do that tonight. I am running a late 2014 iMac 5K. 

Edited by BuckeyeJoe_JH, Mar 08 2018 - 15:15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users