Why is the XP in Ranked Battles biased towards IS-7's?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

BigNaturals #101 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 17:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56018 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

what the hell i cant attach pics i cant link pics toimage shack what do they allow to link to now??????????

anyways here is one but not of a IS7 its a S.C with 89 dmg and ended up 3rd on losing team and only had 878 dmg assist while 10 others had 1k or more and out of those 6 had 2k plus. so how did he beat everyne out??? see it every battle and not only on the IS7 . its been me a few times doing nothing and end up being TOP exp and getting 2 chevs for doing 1600 dmg or less lol.  ranked is jacked up if someone that did nothing for team gets  ranked in FOR doing nothing. someone needs to do some recoding this guy didnt even spot a tank just got lucky on a track shot. guess im doing it wrong i need to sit back and just do track shots

S. Conq ss 

Edited by BigNaturals, Feb 17 2018 - 17:02.

Scorpiany #102 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 02:45

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37874 battles

Maybe it's not just IS-7's... The XP system as a whole is incredibly messed up. But could somebody please tell me how this Super Conqueror gets more XP after he TEAM KILLS me?

He does DOUBLE THE TEAM DAMAGE than regular damage, and he gets MORE XP than me... After he team kills me.

According to WG and this Super Conqueror, here's how to play Ranked Battles:

Step 1) Spam the map for the first minute and a half of the battle

Step 2) Team kill Scorp after he tells you to stop pinging the map

Step 3) Proceed to die having done absolutely nothing

Step 4) Get MORE XP

I just want to know how this kind of thing even happens...

Edited by Scorpiany, Feb 18 2018 - 13:20.

NeatoMan #103 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 02:54

Major

• Players
  • 29114 battles
I think I will undertake an experiment and only spam HE at tracks to see how much XP I get.

tod914 #104 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 02:54

Major

• Players
  • 66440 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS
Maybe RNG effects XP now.  I knew there was something up with that most recent patch.

Sam_Sanister #105 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 06:21

Captain

• Players
  • 28545 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

I will say there is something fishy going on; why do two HTs get more EXP for doing nothing than an SPG does for actually contributing?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

BigNaturals #106 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 19:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56018 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

i think they are counting dmg blocked as well for exp. from scorps post above thats the only difference i see and he lost some exp due to team kill but its not much from what i hear. 

we had a light in battle last night did over 7k spotting dmg and 1k+ dmg him self and wasnt at top of exp he got 5th spot  i got 2nd spot in type 5 with 3k dmg 2 kills

something is very wrong with how they are doing this and its been like this since the beta on the exp

spud_tuber #107 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 20:01

Major

• Players
  • 60979 battles

I played very poorly in ranked battles last night, and was on tilt enough i didn't pay much attention to the XP results.  However, did accidently notice 2 battles that grabbed my attention as being a bit odd.

First one is a loss that was just a bit crazy.  There's about 6 pictures, so i'll split them into two spoilers.  The really confusing parts are the E100 and Type 5, but all of it seems a bit off.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Next is a win that seemed only mildly weird.  IIRC, the BC and Cent AX did a decent portion of their damage from range, so that's why they're not included, as there was an obvious "explanation" for their results.  Or I may have just been lazy.

Spoiler

And while I'm complaining about ranked battles, i noticed a minor display bug the other night.  All 3 imagines are the results of the same battle.  The mechanics seem to have functioned properly, but the display in the first image isn't right.

Spoiler

Edited by spud_tuber, Feb 18 2018 - 20:08.

Scorpiany #108 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 20:36

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37874 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Feb 18 2018 - 11:01, said:

Spoiler

The display shows that you received an extra chevron, as you were tied for Top 3 by XP. Hence you received 2 chevrons instead of 1. Theoretically, WG should include you into the double-chevron bracket, instead of just displaying an extra chevron received.

As for the XP results - I can only explain the second set of results, the first one is just as confusing. But in the second set, you had gotten 3 kills and some assistance damage. The assisted pushed your combined damage a bit further up, and WG values kills very highly; so the 3 kills you received gave you quite an XP boost.

What doesn't make sense, is the XP discrepancy where there isn't any difference in the number of kills.

spud_tuber #109 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 60979 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Feb 18 2018 - 13:36, said:

The display shows that you received an extra chevron, as you were tied for Top 3 by XP. Hence you received 2 chevrons instead of 1. Theoretically, WG should include you into the double-chevron bracket, instead of just displaying an extra chevron received.

As for the XP results - I can only explain the second set of results, the first one is just as confusing. But in the second set, you had gotten 3 kills and some assistance damage. The assisted pushed your combined damage a bit further up, and WG values kills very highly; so the 3 kills you received gave you quite an XP boost.

What doesn't make sense, is the XP discrepancy where there isn't any difference in the number of kills.

Oh.. Duh, that would explain the second set. 

And yeah, as I said, minor display bug.  Mechanics worked properly.

ARCNA442 #110 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 21:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15860 battles
  • [RE4GD] RE4GD
WG needs to solve this by releasing the XP equation. It used to be okay for it to be hidden since all that it effected was personal progression, but with ranked being entirely based on XP that is no longer acceptable. Can you imagine playing football and not being told how scoring works?

Kronaan #111 Posted Feb 21 2018 - 17:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46413 battles

I remember a win in my 430U in which I did 457 dmg and had 5500+ spotting dmg on Lakeville.

I didn't make it in the top 10, so no chevron for me.

Something is definitely wrong with how the exp works in ranked battles or even in the game.

xtc4 #112 Posted Feb 21 2018 - 21:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28698 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

What do you guys think now after a few nights of games? Is the issue the IS-7 vs. other tanks? Or is the issue play style?

For whatever reason (you guys have come up with many theories above), players seem to have an XP advantage when they aggressively rush out, attempt to take map control, and get in close-range brawls -- even without doing much damage. Players seem to have an XP disadvantage when they hang back and shoot what the aggressive brawlers are spotting -- even when doing extraordinary damage.

The IS-7 is perfect for the former, aggressive sort of play, with its combination of speed and toughness. I certainly seem to have had disproportionate success in mine. I have also had some seemingly disproportionate success playing aggressively in the 111 5a -- but maybe not quite as much success as the IS-7. What do you think?

Scorpiany #113 Posted Feb 22 2018 - 01:59

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37874 battles

View Postxtc4, on Feb 21 2018 - 12:55, said:

What do you guys think now after a few nights of games? Is the issue the IS-7 vs. other tanks? Or is the issue play style?

For whatever reason (you guys have come up with many theories above), players seem to have an XP advantage when they aggressively rush out, attempt to take map control, and get in close-range brawls -- even without doing much damage. Players seem to have an XP disadvantage when they hang back and shoot what the aggressive brawlers are spotting -- even when doing extraordinary damage.

The IS-7 is perfect for the former, aggressive sort of play, with its combination of speed and toughness. I certainly seem to have had disproportionate success in mine. I have also had some seemingly disproportionate success playing aggressively in the 111 5a -- but maybe not quite as much success as the IS-7. What do you think?

To me, it still seems like IS-7's are disproportionately more frequently getting very strange XP results.

Take this game from last night - This IS-7 did 0 damage and 140 spotting. He didn't spot any initial tanks, and only blocked 400 damage with armor... Yet he gets 7th on XP, more than the tanks that did up to 2,495 damage of their own.

Something is really wrong with the IS-7, and I'm just not sure why.

Other tanks have had weird issues as well every now and then - But the IS-7 is the most frequent vehicle to have issues, by a large margin. 

Chameleon_1999 #114 Posted Feb 22 2018 - 04:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28544 battles

Dayum. This is really messed up.

Good eye on noticing this.

Edited by Voltare_2014, Feb 22 2018 - 04:08.

America_Wallace #115 Posted Feb 22 2018 - 06:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 26740 battles
Heavy tank will have exp when they block dmg, so maybe that's why. And if your dmg dealt is from other's spotting, your exp is reduced. I don't think exp is rigged. 

Edited by America_Wallace, Feb 22 2018 - 06:15.

Scorpiany #116 Posted Feb 22 2018 - 06:49

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37874 battles

View PostAmerica_Wallace, on Feb 21 2018 - 21:14, said:

Heavy tank will have exp when they block dmg, so maybe that's why. And if your dmg dealt is from other's spotting, your exp is reduced. I don't think exp is rigged. 

It's just... Broken. I've seen more IS-7's get disproportionate XP far more than other tanks.

But this time around, it favored me for some reason - I did nothing here but 1.5k combined and (accidentally) shoot an ally in the rear. Yes, I got 2 kills, but other people also got 2 kills, except they did far more damage than I did - Why did I get 2 chevrons here, instead of them?

The XP system as a whole just doesn't make sense. What's the calculation?

Also, blocked damage does not give bonus XP - We've already established this. They never introduced the blocked damage bonus, and several of the previous screenshots would also disprove that very easily as well.

Edited by Scorpiany, Feb 22 2018 - 06:52.

xtc4 #117 Posted Feb 22 2018 - 15:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28698 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Wow, Scorp, those are some wild new examples. The plot is very thick.

Chameleon_1999 #118 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 03:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28544 battles

ttt

(followed by going my worst ever 0-8) lolol

Give this mod a raise!

(1-11 now, cut his/her raise)

Edited by Voltare_2014, Feb 23 2018 - 04:42.

Archaic_One #119 Posted Feb 23 2018 - 20:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16479 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

One thing I have definitely noticed is that WG seems to have some sort of issue with sniping and support tanks.  Remember the original sandbox iteration was designed to force all vehicles to essentially fight at point blank range with the pen nerfs and drop off.  For whatever reason Murazor gets apoplectic at the thought of tanks taking shots at each other from distance.

The XP system has always rewarded proximity and close up brawling (which is why they probably track damage done at greater than 300m on the stats report).  I am betting that ranked is just testing an enhanced version of the brawling reward system.  Inaccurate guns, fewer frontal weakspots, weaker prem rounds, and now lower XP are all just part of the subtle push towards the failed rubicon patch.

Look how many of the new premium and tech tree tanks are brawlers, look at all of the turret buffs, the new derp gun tanks . . . no tank in the game needs a buff more than the leopard 1 - but instead we get Maus buffs, 111-5a, and now these new RU armored fortress tanks with .4 accuracy . . . 

The reason the IS-7 is getting more XP is because its the meta tank that needs to be the closest to the front line to work (although I'm sure the XP modifier helps it).  Watch the replays of the above games - I bet those tanks that are getting shafted are working second line and not as close to the damage as the IS-7s.  This is just another example of WG not understanding their own game.  The AX last night that did 4K in a game I did 2K in was farther from the battle than me and he also did more to win than I did.

Scorpiany #120 Posted Feb 24 2018 - 00:02

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37874 battles

View Postxtc4, on Feb 22 2018 - 06:28, said:

Wow, Scorp, those are some wild new examples. The plot is very thick.

WarGaming RU has stated that they are aware that there is an issue towards XP. While they don't say there's anything wrong with the IS-7 specifically, they did claim that they are aware of general discrepancies with XP distribution.

Original post:

English translation:

After the 2nd beta of Ranked Battles, we had gathered as much feedback and statistics as possible. For the first live season, we used this information to incorporate as many changes as possible These included the "Rank shields", more worthwhile rewards and customization styles, as well as changes to the chevron & rank distribution system. We also removed Swamp & Erlenberg, changed vehicle ranks, etc. As for the issue of XP, we were not able to change it as easily because it is a core mechanic of the game. For the rest of this season, we will not change its distribution, but we are aware of the issue and are working hard to correct it. We're aware of it, and haven't forgotten about it.

More or less, this means that WarGaming is aware that players are unhappy with the way that XP is distributed. The question of course, is will WG fix it, and if they do, when will that occur?

Edited by Scorpiany, Feb 24 2018 - 00:09.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users