AMX M4 54-worth it?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

silentkajun #1 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 15:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 39922 battles
I'm almost done grinding the m4 51 at tier 9.  I fully intended on moving on to the tier 10 until I started reading how terrible the m4 54 is, and that it's a flat out downgrade one tier up.  I like the tier 9 but I don't love it so I'm kinda torn on whether to just keep it or move up.  Thoughts from anyone who has played both?

Duke_Nuke_Em_Cammando #2 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 15:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 7205 battles
  • [BOTZ] BOTZ
if your already almost there jst grind to it next then move on its turret is good but that's it maybe good pen but if your that far just grind it out

Krychek #3 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 15:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19708 battles

It really was a great tank for about 20 minutes there. Then they added the 268 4 and the 430U. You can't pen either of them without getting around the side. Which won't happen because they are both faster and have better traverse than you do. Gold round only have 280 pen but they are regular AP instead of APCR. So they aren't bad at all. Your dome will get penned easily enough by anyone who knows what they are doing and takes advantage of the broken mechanic of commander hatch damaging pens and all the stupids will just shoot you straight in the front of the turret and bounce. Both guns are extremely accurate and have great aim time. Its really up to you. There are much better tanks considering the meta but if you like to break away from the stat padding meta and play something interesting, its not a bad tank. Just be prepared to fire a lot of gold. War Gaming likes to bring out super armored monsters now that force you to fire gold or die a horrible death.

Most of this post is based on using the higher damage gun. It has lower pen and slower rof than the original gun on the tank. Use what your comfortable with.

Edited by Krychek, Feb 13 2018 - 15:43.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #4 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:06

Major

• Players
  • 72175 battles

I unlocked the 54 last week. I played a few games in it and got totally trashed within minutes without doing anything in return. These may have been one-offs, but it left me with the impression that this tank is terrible.

I was surprised by this because I enjoyed the tier 9 and was looking forwards to the tier 10.

Bubba187 #5 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:10

Captain

• Players
  • 44049 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

It's just an underwhelming tank in all facets.  Nothing spectacular.  Nothing horrible really.  It just doesn't shine in any one area.

Knagar #6 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:17

Captain

• Players
  • 20105 battles

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Feb 13 2018 - 10:06, said:

I unlocked the 54 last week. I played a few games in it and got totally trashed within minutes without doing anything in return. These may have been one-offs, but it left me with the impression that this tank is terrible.

I was surprised by this because I enjoyed the tier 9 and was looking forwards to the tier 10.

You're doing it wrong.

First off, don't bother with the second gun, if you were using it. It takes way to long to aim, suffers awful bloom on turret movement, lack penetration on both rounds. The "stock" gun is better in every way except Alpha, but average Joe sees a bigger number and thinks that is better.

Secondly, it's  corner worker, no pun intended. The trick to the tank is to pull up to  corner, slide on out at maybe 45° to bait shots. Don't give them your drive wheel though,.will pen that for days, just the nose. People will try for days to get your lower plate, but won't. As soon as you bait them, pull out and use the fantastic aimtime to plant a shot in a weak spot before they get cover. This is generally done better on a right hand corner so you can keep the commander's hatch covered.

Your other option is to face hug something and not let them get a bead on your hatches. It'll take some serious pen to get through the front. Being a taller tank they have to shoot upward on your upper plate, which will bounce, or try and reverse for a shot on your lower. Just push them and bully them so they can't. They'll try for your turret, will be a waste of time unless they can aim up at your hatches.

Never ever side scrape or give anyone even a sliver of your side. I'm pretty sure some Tier 5s can over match your sides and rear even at an angle. T49s are THE worst, they will pen every time with HE rounds at the side or rear and just wreck you.

It's a fantastic tank once you figure it out. Sure the 268-4 over shadows it, but that OP trash does that to every tank in the game currently. The 430U, about the same deal, but you can at least deal with those.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #7 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:33

Major

• Players
  • 72175 battles

View PostKnagar, on Feb 13 2018 - 10:17, said:

You're doing it wrong.

First off, don't bother with the second gun, if you were using it. It takes way to long to aim, suffers awful bloom on turret movement, lack penetration on both rounds. The "stock" gun is better in every way except Alpha, but average Joe sees a bigger number and thinks that is better.

Secondly, it's  corner worker, no pun intended. The trick to the tank is to pull up to  corner, slide on out at maybe 45° to bait shots. Don't give them your drive wheel though,.will pen that for days, just the nose. People will try for days to get your lower plate, but won't. As soon as you bait them, pull out and use the fantastic aimtime to plant a shot in a weak spot before they get cover. This is generally done better on a right hand corner so you can keep the commander's hatch covered.

Your other option is to face hug something and not let them get a bead on your hatches. It'll take some serious pen to get through the front. Being a taller tank they have to shoot upward on your upper plate, which will bounce, or try and reverse for a shot on your lower. Just push them and bully them so they can't. They'll try for your turret, will be a waste of time unless they can aim up at your hatches.

Never ever side scrape or give anyone even a sliver of your side. I'm pretty sure some Tier 5s can over match your sides and rear even at an angle. T49s are THE worst, they will pen every time with HE rounds at the side or rear and just wreck you.

It's a fantastic tank once you figure it out. Sure the 268-4 over shadows it, but that OP trash does that to every tank in the game currently. The 430U, about the same deal, but you can at least deal with those.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I don't have the top gun unlocked yet. I used the top gun on the tier 9 and did much better with that than the lower alpha gun.

The biggest problem I ran into with the tier 10 is not taking damage. The side armor is so terrible, the tank is so big, and the mobility so poor, that I found it hard to not get taken out before I get off more than one shot.

General_Lee_Miserable #8 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 16:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 8921 battles
The 54 with the 400 alpha gun is a good tank. I think those that aren't liking the tank are going for the high alpha potato gun. That gun is terrible. 

bjorn1984 #9 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 17:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24101 battles

View Postsilentkajun, on Feb 13 2018 - 15:21, said:

I'm almost done grinding the m4 51 at tier 9.  I fully intended on moving on to the tier 10 until I started reading how terrible the m4 54 is, and that it's a flat out downgrade one tier up.  I like the tier 9 but I don't love it so I'm kinda torn on whether to just keep it or move up.  Thoughts from anyone who has played both?

I've seen some good game playing the M4 51. That's all I can say about that. The AMX 65t is [edited], and that's all I can say about that.

Hurk #10 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 49743 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View Postsilentkajun, on Feb 13 2018 - 07:21, said:

the 51 is OP and needs a nerf. the 54 is nearly balanced, but will not be as beast as the 51 is for you now. 

if you dont like the 51, they you will definitely not like the 54. 

CheekiBreeki_ #11 Posted Feb 13 2018 - 17:35

Major

• Banned
  • 40172 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Its an awful tank 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users