Jump to content


Question for the Chieftain - In real life, which tanks would you choose?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Not_Connery #1 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 11:23

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7583 battles
  • 726
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017

Hello, Mr. Moran (AKA "The Chieftain" )

 

My question to you is this:

 

From all of the real life tanks in the game (meaning that an actual tank of the design had to be built - no paper tanks or wooden mockups), which one tank per tier would you choose to go into battle with (facing its own tier in battle, but, again, only the "real" tanks) and why?

 

I look forward to your answers and reasoning, sir.  :honoring:


Edited by Not_Connery, Feb 17 2018 - 11:24.


sahmlockhart #2 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 11:40

    Captain

  • Players
  • 43032 battles
  • 1,014
  • Member since:
    06-09-2013

He's fav is the chieftain and/or m4.

 

 

 

I prefer the challenger 1.



The_Diadect #3 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 15:13

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15692 battles
  • 567
  • Member since:
    10-18-2013

If I were on the german side, I would build explosive goliath tracked mines with extra front armor to the size of the british mk 1 tank, and have them race towards enemy tanks at 90 km/h with political dissidents duct taped to them.

 

honestly t62a ftw imo



Not_Connery #4 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 16:06

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7583 battles
  • 726
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017

No, what I meant by my question was for each tier what tank would you pick to go into battle with/in?

 

So for example, at tier 1 I'd probably go with the Renault FT as it has fairly decent (for its tier) turret armor. 

 

At tier 2, I'd probably take the Panzer II as it has a decent blend of armor and offensive power.

 

And so on up the tiers.



CCCP_GDR #5 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 16:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 81634 battles
  • 2,086
  • Member since:
    11-16-2012

View PostNot_Connery, on Feb 17 2018 - 02:23, said:

Hello, Mr. Moran (AKA "The Chieftain" )

 

My question to you is this:

 

From all of the real life tanks in the game (meaning that an actual tank of the design had to be built - no paper tanks or wooden mockups), which one tank per tier would you choose to go into battle with (facing its own tier in battle, but, again, only the "real" tanks) and why?

 

I look forward to your answers and reasoning, sir.  :honoring:

 

View Postsahmlockhart, on Feb 17 2018 - 02:40, said:

He's fav is the chieftain and/or m4.

 

 

 

I prefer the challenger 1.

 

+1 for both of you for a great topic and reply.

 

Also Jingles has his TOP 5 as well and his #4 is the T-34-85.

https://www.youtube....h?v=p5fEsNwHSDs

 

The great brotherhood of Soviet and East German tank production was in fact a combination of

the Panther and the T-34.

 

A Soviet production tank made with great German quality. The best of both worlds.



The_Chieftain #6 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 06:56

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 13764 battles
  • 9,916
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011
It's a pretty silly question, to be fair. Real tanks aren't categorised by tier. The other minor detail is that tanks are not designed to operate in a vacuum, so in, for example, the WW2 case, the fact that I go into battle rested, supported by lots of artillery and aircraft and infantry on the other end of the radio, may make a tank better in real world than another tank in the game, even if in-game, that other tank may seem OP in comparison.

RC_1140 #7 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 08:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 64503 battles
  • 2,974
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
  • Member since:
    06-13-2013

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Apr 23 2018 - 21:56, said:

It's a pretty silly question, to be fair. Real tanks aren't categorised by tier. The other minor detail is that tanks are not designed to operate in a vacuum, so in, for example, the WW2 case, the fact that I go into battle rested, supported by lots of artillery and aircraft and infantry on the other end of the radio, may make a tank better in real world than another tank in the game, even if in-game, that other tank may seem OP in comparison.

 

Exactly! So many people don't seem to get this, just x tank is better than y tank for whatever reason without looking at how it would actually operate on the battlefield. 

Not_Connery #8 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 12:31

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 7583 battles
  • 726
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Apr 24 2018 - 06:56, said:

It's a pretty silly question, to be fair. Real tanks aren't categorised by tier. The other minor detail is that tanks are not designed to operate in a vacuum, so in, for example, the WW2 case, the fact that I go into battle rested, supported by lots of artillery and aircraft and infantry on the other end of the radio, may make a tank better in real world than another tank in the game, even if in-game, that other tank may seem OP in comparison.

 

Ok, so the only reason I brought up tiers in my question was because I know that you would otherwise say that you would prefer to take the centurion into battle (as you have said multiple times that it made most other tanks of the time obsolete and that it was just a very good tank design in general); by asking per tier, I was hoping to find out which tank in (roughly) each time period of the war (or interwar period, in the case of the earlier tanks) you would feel most comfortable/capable/confident in your ability to do your job as a tank commander.

 

View PostRC_1140, on Apr 24 2018 - 08:45, said:

 

Exactly! So many people don't seem to get this, just x tank is better than y tank for whatever reason without looking at how it would actually operate on the battlefield. 

 

I never once asked "which tank is better".  The closest I came was mentioning armor or offensive power.



RC_1140 #9 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 14:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 64503 battles
  • 2,974
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
  • Member since:
    06-13-2013

View PostNot_Connery, on Apr 24 2018 - 03:31, said:

 

Ok, so the only reason I brought up tiers in my question was because I know that you would otherwise say that you would prefer to take the centurion into battle (as you have said multiple times that it made most other tanks of the time obsolete and that it was just a very good tank design in general); by asking per tier, I was hoping to find out which tank in (roughly) each time period of the war (or interwar period, in the case of the earlier tanks) you would feel most comfortable/capable/confident in your ability to do your job as a tank commander.

 

 

I never once asked "which tank is better".  The closest I came was mentioning armor or offensive power.

 

I didn't really mean you, but the countless threads on this forum and elsewhere. 

Vampiresbane #10 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:53

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29999 battles
  • 1,494
  • [MEDIC] MEDIC
  • Member since:
    06-27-2011

I'll take a shot at this.  It's going to be hard picking just one for a couple tiers, but I'll do a list of #1's and #2's based on tournament play (#1) and random team battles (#2).

 

Tournaments:

Tier 1: T1 Cunningham

Tier 2: Cruiser Mk. III

Tier 3: Cruiser Mk. IV

Tier 4: Pz.Kpfw. II Luchs

Tier 5: M24 Chaffee

Tier 6: Skoda T 25

Tier 7: T29

Tier 8: Emil I

Tier 9: M46 Patton (working on acquiring the Skoda, this probably is better for tournaments)

Tier 10: Bat.-Chatillon 25 t
 

Random Battles:

Tier 1: Leichttracktor

Tier 2: Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f) (Mini Maus)

Tier 3: Cruiser Mk. IV

Tier 4: Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer

Tier 5: M4 Sherman

Tier 6: KV-2

Tier 7: T29

Tier 8: Lowe

Tier 9: WZ-111-1-4

Tier 10: Super Conqueror



1Sherman #11 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 5309 battles
  • 3,338
  • Member since:
    07-10-2013

View Postsahmlockhart, on Feb 17 2018 - 10:40, said:

He's fav is the chieftain

 

Why? Yes the gun on the Chieftain is fantastic, but the engine is so bad it makes the Panther look good.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users