WoT on Ubuntu Linux

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

witch359 #1 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 19:19

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14639 battles

Sorry if this is the wrong place; I know MacOS and Linux are similar...

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Ubuntu and would like to install WoT. I know I need Wine (which I installed), but not really sure what to do next. I found a few tutorials, but always seem to run into some kind of problem installing (tutorials are obsolete?). They also tell me to do various things without really explaining how, which leaves me pretty confused.

Can anyone point me to a clear set of instructions for how to install WoT on Ubuntu? I'm not a Linux expert, so I'm looking for something step-by-step. Thank you.

Whisky_A_Go_Go #2 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 9937 battles

You're making a grave mistake.

I love Ubuntu. I run it on the laptop I posting this with and I have an Ubuntu Server that is a file server for my entire house.

BUT

It is NOT a gaming platform. Can you make it work? Yes. But it will in all likelihood operate at a fraction of the rate that it will in Windows.

Wine is an emulator made to get you through the odd program or two you just can't get in anything other than Windows. It's not a gaming platform at all.

If you insist on proceeding, you would simply launch the WoT installer in a Wine Environment. It's just that easy.

And it will run in that same environment, but again only at a fraction of the rate it does in Windows.

If you thought for one second that Ubuntu was some magic kingdom that was going to make everything free and everything made to run on Windows would run just as well, you thought wrong on a very large level.

witch359 #3 Posted Feb 17 2018 - 22:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14639 battles

That's disappointing, but I appreciate the feedback.

black_colt #4 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 00:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

macOS and Linux may seem similar but they are not.  macOS uses a hybrid kernel and is UNIX compliant while Linux uses a monolithic kernel and is not UNIX compliant.  Both are POSIX compliant though.

Wine [Wine Is Not Emulation] so not sure what Whisky_A-Go_Go is talking about...

Wine translates MS Windows system calls into POSIX-compliant system calls - no code emulation or virtualization occurs when running a MS Windows app under Wine.  In fact MS Windows is not even required.

Linux is quite capable of running games depending on the 3D graphics API and what game engine is used.

War Thunder is a good example - it runs natively on MS Windows, OS X/macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, and Shield Android TV with IIRC Xbox One coming soon.

Ubuntu may not the best distribution to run World Of Tanks but it can be made to work.  It appears that Mint Cinnamon is the best distribution. 

Please find following the URL to a Forum thread that might be helpful - http://forum.worldof...4#entry11488904

Also this YouTube channel might be of interest as they are running World of Tanks with Linux - https://www.youtube....eCo_56XUjnMUB6A

Edited by black_colt, Feb 18 2018 - 00:48.

witch359 #5 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 09:56

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14639 battles
Thanks, I'll check those out.

black_colt #6 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 17:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postwitch359, on Feb 18 2018 - 00:56, said:

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Welcome - I am planning on installing Cinnamon Mint on my Dell gaming rig so I can run World of Tanks in Linux based on how easy it looks - e.g. do not need to find and install other dependencies

Probably will not do so right away - hope to do so by the end of the month

May even do so on my iMac but need to research if I still need to disable SIP to dual boot.  Currently the iMac is running macOS [beta] and MS Windows 10 Pro - MS Windows 10 Pro will be replaced by Linux if you now no longer need to disable SIP but I will not install Linux if you are still required to disable SIP.

Will let the Forum know how it does ...

If you get World of Tanks up and running - would you please post to this Forum what went well and what went wrong so others may learn from your experience?

witch359 #7 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 18:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14639 battles

OK, dumb question...

I ran the WoT installer under Wine and it seemed to work. When I pressed "Play", something went wrong and it crashed.

I want to give it another try and run WoT under wine, but where did it get installed?

black_colt #8 Posted Feb 18 2018 - 18:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postwitch359, on Feb 18 2018 - 09:49, said:

OK, dumb question...

I ran the WoT installer under Wine and it seemed to work. When I pressed "Play", something went wrong and it crashed.

I want to give it another try and run WoT under wine, but where did it get installed?

Depending on the Linux distribution you may need to install some additional dependencies to make the game work.

Did you download and install Wine from WineHQ?  If so, you may not have noticed this:

Sometimes a customization of Wine can cause an application to work, but this change cannot be incorporated into Wine for some reason. To help overcome current deficiencies in Wine, various third party applications for end users have been made over the years. These applications are entirely unsupported by the Wine developers, however you may find them useful. For more information, see our wiki page on Third Party Applications.

CodeWeavers, who produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming, uses a custom version of Wine to make the WoT Mac Wrapper work on OS X/macOS since the game currently uses Wine 1.9.22 due to limitations in the native MS Windows app.  While I have not reseached how to make World of Tanks work on Wine 3.x I am sure it can be done.

If you do not want to research trying to get World of Tanks running on Wine 3.x then you may want to try using playonlinux to install World of Tanks - https://www.playonlinux.com/en/ - as they have a dedicated page for World of Tanks - https://www.playonli...d_Of_Tanks.html

Edited by black_colt, Feb 18 2018 - 19:02.

black_colt #9 Posted Feb 20 2018 - 16:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postwitch359, on Feb 18 2018 - 09:49, said:

OK, dumb question...

While we want to help in the WoT Mac Wrapper Forum it is probably best if you start a new post in the following thread - http://forum.worldof...4#entry11488904

Why?

Apple-branded Intel-based hardware is a infinite set and may not be the same as your hardware.  Because of that it would be difficult to assist simply because we may not have the same hardware.

Also the individuals in the thread seem very knowledgeable and are probably a better resource that me as I am a very very very casual user of Linux.

Edited by black_colt, Feb 20 2018 - 16:47.

zhymm #10 Posted Feb 20 2018 - 18:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33724 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View Postwitch359, on Feb 18 2018 - 12:49, said:

OK, dumb question...

Greetings witch359,

I was able to get WoT running via Wine with my Manjaro linux install.  As mentioned above there have been reports by others having success with Mint.  I've been meaning to test it using Mint linux, just have not taken the time.  I'm currently using Wine 2.21(staging).  And in my case, using winecfg, I have Wine set for Windows XP.

Launching WoT from terminal will give you some feedback that doesn't occur when you launch from the desktop icon.  As to where WoT is installed, start your file manager client (I use pcmanfm) and look for the .wine folder in your Home Folder.  You will have to set your file manager config to show hidden files/folders.  Here's the complete file path I have for the WoT launcher from my Home Folder:

.wine/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks/WoTLauncher.exe

Your file path might look a little different, be flexible in sorting it out.

While in terminal (I use LXTerminal) from your Home Folder navigate to your WoT folder and start the WoTlauncher client:

cd .wine/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks/

wine WoTLauncher.exe

Watch the output in terminal for "err" messages concerning missing .dll's, library files and such.  You'll see a ton of "fixme" messages, just ignore those.  Key in on any error messages regarding missing files.  In my case it was one missing .dll file for which I googled a solution.  Once it was added WoT was up and running fine, for me.

I hope this helps.

OMZ

Edited by zhymm, Feb 20 2018 - 18:02.

black_colt #11 Posted Feb 20 2018 - 18:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postzhymm, on Feb 20 2018 - 09:01, said:

Greetings witch359,

I was able to get WoT running via Wine with my Manjaro linux install.  As mentioned above there have been reports by others having success with Mint.  I've been meaning to test it using Mint linux, just have not taken the time.  I'm currently using Wine 2.21(staging).  And in my case, using winecfg, I have Wine set for Windows XP.

Launching WoT from terminal will give you some feedback that doesn't occur when you launch from the desktop icon.  As to where WoT is installed, start your file manager client (I use pcmanfm) and look for the .wine folder in your Home Folder.  You will have to set your file manager config to show hidden files/folders.  Here's the complete file path I have for the WoT launcher from my Home Folder:

.wine/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks/WoTLauncher.exe

Your file path might look a little different, be flexible in sorting it out.

While in terminal (I use LXTerminal) from your Home Folder navigate to your WoT folder and start the WoTlauncher client:

cd .wine/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks/

wine WoTLauncher.exe

Watch the output in terminal for "err" messages concerning missing .dll's, library files and such.  You'll see a ton of "fixme" messages, just ignore those.  Key in on any error messages regarding missing files.  In my case it was one missing .dll file for which I googled a solution.  Once it was added WoT was up and running fine, for me.

I hope this helps.

OMZ

zhymm,

Thanks for the post - full of helpful information.

Just got Linux Cinnamon Mint installed my Dell Ryzen rig and appreciate the call-out about the Wine version as I was going to go the latest stable build.  Will endeavor to update this thread with issues/etc.

If I can get it up and running on the Dell - then the next steps will be delete MS Windows and install Linux Cinnamon Mint on my iMac.

black_colt #12 Posted Feb 21 2018 - 18:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Feb 20 2018 - 09:30, said:

zhymm,

Thanks for the post - full of helpful information.

Just got Linux Cinnamon Mint installed my Dell Ryzen rig and appreciate the call-out about the Wine version as I was going to go the latest stable build.  Will endeavor to update this thread with issues/etc.

If I can get it up and running on the Dell - then the next steps will be delete MS Windows and install Linux Cinnamon Mint on my iMac.

First attempt not going well - reaching out the WineHQ maintainer since they indicated that World of Tanks works [Gold] on Linux Cinnamon Mint.

Suspect this is because you need to use a non-64-bit version of Wine because the MS app is 32-bit.

Will advise if I get up and running.

Veggerby #13 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 15:46

Private

• -Players-
  • 468 battles

The distribution you use doesn't really matter - I run Arch Linux and it works for me.

What is important is to get the 32 bit libraries installed.

For an Ubuntu or Debian distro use apt:

Block Quote

sudo apt-cache search lib32

To install for instance lib32-mesa use:

Block Quote

sudo apt-get install lib32-mesa

I can't currently remember excactly which packages needs to be installed - but an app such as play on linux should install the required packages, but of definite importance is that you have installed your current graphics drivers.

I'm using Crossover to play my games in Linux and I am pleased with that playform (however it's a gaming app you pay for), if you are just starting out - try the play on linux app that's a free app that also installs the required dependencies of the game you want to play.

EDIT: By the way for more help, go to the Ubuntu forums - they are quite happy to help out and I also think they have guides for getting up and running with play on linux (although on the play on linux website they also have a forum with guides).

If you have AMD graphics card then the open source drivers are quite good, however if you are using NVidia then your best bet lies with the closed source drivers

Edited by Veggerby, Mar 06 2018 - 16:00.

Veggerby #14 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 16:12

Private

• -Players-
  • 468 battles

About Linux distributions:

If you're new to Linux I recommend you try out one of the Ubuntu variants and get help from their excellent forums, they are really a helpful bunch over there.

If you're up for the task of doing a bit of tinkering yourself and want to learn during the Linux experience then I can recommend Debian (even e-Live CD distribution if you are using old hardware).

I've used Linux since around the mid 90's, so I know my way around most linux distros - if I need to do some revival of a computer I still use Ubuntu on an USB stick since I can quickly get the tools up and running on that.

However Arch Linux is for the hardcore: "I can handle myself"-types and their forums reflect that, they're not quite as friendly as the other distros forums - however their wiki is excellent and a lot of good information can be found there once you get the hang of Linux.

black_colt #15 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 16:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View PostVeggerby, on Mar 06 2018 - 06:46, said:

The distribution you use doesn't really matter - I run Arch Linux and it works for me.

What is important is to get the 32 bit libraries installed.

For an Ubuntu or Debian distro use apt:

To install for instance lib32-mesa use:

I can't currently remember excactly which packages needs to be installed - but an app such as play on linux should install the required packages, but of definite importance is that you have installed your current graphics drivers.

I'm using Crossover to play my games in Linux and I am pleased with that playform (however it's a gaming app you pay for), if you are just starting out - try the play on linux app that's a free app that also installs the required dependencies of the game you want to play.

EDIT: By the way for more help, go to the Ubuntu forums - they are quite happy to help out and I also think they have guides for getting up and running with play on linux (although on the play on linux website they also have a forum with guides).

If you have AMD graphics card then the open source drivers are quite good, however if you are using NVidia then your best bet lies with the closed source drivers

Linux is a great OS.

Thanks for the heads-up about the libGL 32-bit library which provides hardware-accelerated Direct3D and OpenGL support.

However CrossOver is NOT a gaming app - it is a proprietary version of Wine [open-source compatibility layer that can run MS Windows apps on several POSIX-compliant OS[es] including Linux, macOS, and BSD] and can run many MS Windows apps besides games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users