Tiger 1

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

HOGhog789 #1 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:29

Private

• Players
  • 11068 battles
  • [ONSLT] ONSLT
Hey guys this is my first post and I've lately been pulling my hair out in frustration about the Tiger 1.  This was the icon tank that I loved reading about when I was a kid and the history of how it was one of the most powerful tanks in WWll.  So when I started playing World of Tanks I raced right to it.  Man was I disappointed, its trash!!!!!!!!  Yeah the gun is great and accurate, but its armor is awful even tier V and Vl tanks can pen me in certain situations.  It's useless against derp guns arty and td's.  It is so heartbreaking to see WG put in a iconic tank into this game and turning it into a let down piece of garbage.  Give it some Armour or something guys!!!!! Make it more enjoyable to play for us.  Anyway what do you guys think?  Am I just a terrible tanker?  lol or do you guys agree with me and want to see a change to this what could be a awesome beast of a tank.      

Knagar #2 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:33

Captain

• Players
  • 20247 battles

It's not a let down.

The issue is that everything you have read and heard about the Tiger was it dealing with short battle M4 Sherman's, and T-34s. In game if they don't fire premium, and you keep them at your front, it does super nice.

Once you start to hit same tier or higher, you sort of lose that power. Even more so when people dab the old 2 key.

The best tip I can give is if you're top tier, feel free to get in and brawl. Keep the armor around a 35 to 45 degree angle and it will make it hard for people to pen. If you're mid or bottom tier, play it as mid range support, or a long range sniper. The top gun is solid and can really punish people with it's ability to hit weak spots at a distance.

Also, of you're new to WoT, head over to tanks.gg and take a look at the Tiger in the model viewer. You can set it to show live armor values to show you how much to angle your tank to be most effective and how much is too much to angle.

I'll link it here, and I hope that helps a bit.

This is the live view, use your mouse to move the tank around to see. Red means the armor is thick, green means thin.

https://tanks.gg/tan...i/model?vm=live

Maxus_Rennix #3 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22470 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA
Well, play it as a td or second line heavy. Unless you manage some good angling or sidescraping or whatnot it's armor isn't going to be useful anyways, even when top tier. Remember, turret armor is the best armor on that tank, so go hulldown if you can and never stop shooting. It reloads faster than most heavies of it's tier so you can pretty much out-dpm everything on your own tier, and generally has enough pen to damage most things you come across.

SpartanCrusader #4 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23764 battles
Its gun alone makes it one of the best T7 heavies

TheseViolentDelights #5 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8471 battles
The Tiger is a fine tank when it faces the actual tanks it faced in WWII (T-34,  M4 Sherman, etc). Unfortunately, it usually faces tanks way more powerful than that. It's not a brawler. It's got a nice gun & the armor works at range. So stay in the 2nd line, dodge in & out and keep that gun firing. Late game, you've got the HP to take hits as you finish people off.

BattlecryGWJ #6 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:41

Major

• Players
  • 34793 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

The Tiger I was the tank that got me to learn the game, it certainly wasn't what I expected but its a fine tank when you use it properly.

SnowPanzer #7 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 02:56

Major

• Players
  • 43964 battles
  • [G-M-U] G-M-U
This tank draws more people to play this game than any other. Like most German tanks however it is not made to be in game as was in actual history. This tank as all of the iconic German tanks are in game, has caused a lot of people to realize that Germans are under represented. 

sheepshearer #8 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 03:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 24731 battles
  • [-GSG-] -GSG-

And don't forget it is a Russian game.

UraiFen #9 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 03:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12248 battles

I got my 3ª mark on my Tiger 1. It's a good tank. It's high HP and DPM make him one of the best tier7 heavy. But you should have a different game style than other heavys. You armor is crap indeed, save from the frontal turret that can sometimes make a block. If you are fighting against tier8 and tier9, stay behind and let the your allied heavys with better armor take the front.

If you try to go toe-to-toe with another better armored heavy, you asking to get killed

ARCNA442 #10 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 04:26

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11026 battles
Tiger wasn't that great a tank in real life (it's legendary armor was the result of fighting weak early war guns) and it should really have been tier 6 like its contemporaries such as the M6, Churchill, and KV-85. Fortunately, there are several tier 6 Tigers available - Tiger 131 and Heavy Tank No VI. Buy one of these and have fun, your armor will generally be useful at that tier (though you still won't be invincible) and you can enjoy blasting tier 4 & 5 tanks with the historic short 88.

WolfRanger #11 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 04:39

Private

• Players
  • 36893 battles
I've found that I really enjoy playing my Tiger 1. Like the others said, play it as a support heavy if you're not top tier. One thing that makes the tank great is the dpm. You can get that reload down to something like 5.8 seconds. A lot of players underestimate the dpm of the Tiger so often if you're fighting same tier heavies for example you can put it in 2-3 shots for every one that they get off. Also you can often lock tds in place by double tracking them using the dpm. Can sometimes pull surprises on higher tier tds this way and make them look silly.

_Katyusha___ #12 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 04:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13204 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

Real Tiger I was good as long as the enemy was far and on sight. Just like any TD with armor. Great gun, stupid tank design.

As for in game, yout tier VII "tiger" with long gun is not real tiger, for real tiger, buy the tier VI japan heavy premium, or wait for the next time Tiger 131 is on sale.

Karmadharma #13 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 05:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6795 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
My saddest lesson so far in WoT is that everything I read about WW2 tanks (or just about any historical, existing tank) has nothing to do with the game models, which are nerfed and buffed beyond recognition in the name of play balance. May as well make them look like Checker Cabs, for what accuracy the game models have. But as a game, it's fun. As a historical simulator, it ain't.

Skyrimosity #14 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 05:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostHOGhog789, on Mar 05 2018 - 19:29, said:

Hey guys this is my first post and I've lately been pulling my hair out in frustration about the Tiger 1.  This was the icon tank that I loved reading about when I was a kid and the history of how it was one of the most powerful tanks in WWll.  So when I started playing World of Tanks I raced right to it.  Man was I disappointed, its trash!!!!!!!!  Yeah the gun is great and accurate, but its armor is awful even tier V and Vl tanks can pen me in certain situations.  It's useless against derp guns arty and td's.  It is so heartbreaking to see WG put in a iconic tank into this game and turning it into a let down piece of garbage.  Give it some Armour or something guys!!!!! Make it more enjoyable to play for us.  Anyway what do you guys think?  Am I just a terrible tanker?  lol or do you guys agree with me and want to see a change to this what could be a awesome beast of a tank.      

Tiger is not the greatest tank but it really is an absolute monster in the right hands.  Its DPM is fantastic, penetration good, view range excellent. Armor is terrible but mobility is acceptable. Just learn to use the DPM efficiently and stop trying to think “Oh, I heavy tank. I haz armor”. It’s a different tank with a unique play style and there is NOTHING wrong with that 

bluenose711 #15 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 05:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 45702 battles
  • [MS0B] MS0B

I agree with everything you said ...... but once you get accustomed to side-scraping and peek-a-booming you'll find it's a great tank. The gun is outstanding.  I three-marked mine long ago and still have it. One of my favourites. I maybe a masochist but I enjoy the Tiger I (P) even more than the Tiger I.

Warning: The Tiger II is an absolute piece of crap. Paper armour and a gun that can't pen any Tier 8's - not even on their sides! Just grinding the Tiger II to get to the E75, which I understand is op.

rufelfo #16 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 07:04

Private

• -Players-
  • 16856 battles

Is a tricky tank... I am not a great player but I love the Tiger 1, load some gold and it becomes a beast.

13Jake55 #17 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 07:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13811 battles
I like Tiger 1, Tiger !! is crap because of tier 8 bias. E75 is great but E100 s crap. I just sold the E100 as it just cannot compete against other T10 heavies. 

Blackstone #18 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 13:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14600 battles
  • [-IGC-] -IGC-

You've done what about every player has done in the past: Race towards the Tiger I and THINK it's crap, but it isn't.

The Tiger I is NOT a brawler. At least if it isn't top tier. If you're middle or bottom you must play it as a mid to long range sniper.

I have mine equipped with vents, rammer, and (hold on) optics. So far the combination is working out rather well.

I haven't had the tank for long, but I do have almost 100 games in it. 

All I want to show is that playing it as a long to mid range sniper is a very effective way to play the Tiger I. I found this out by watching several videos on YouTube from various good players. Check the usual sources (QuickyBaby, Circon, etc.), and I think the ones that helped me the most were the unicum guides to the Tiger I.

I hope this helps. 

HITMAN19832006 #19 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 14:54

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1138 battles
  • [LTE_H] LTE_H

I, as many have in the forum, went straight for the Tiger. Go Heavy or go home! 

It took me about 2 months to get it. There were some miserable tanks that lead to it: the DW2, VK 36.01H, etc. But I figured I was just paying my dues.

In it's stock configuration, yeah, it sucks. By now, you'll hopefully have learned that you can't play German Heavies like Heavies and that WG will make your life in WOT a living hell for not going Russian.

This means you have to be a lot crafter and choosy as to when to be a heavy and when to get a bit of a puss. Guard that front plate with your life. It's Swiss cheese at Tier 7 which is why WG put it in that tier. A rock. A car. A teammate. Anything in front of it. Peek a boom is your META.

When you finally earn enough XP to elite this tank....its going to be so much better. Especially the engine. Your days of being so impossibly slow that you might as well be a super heavy are gone. You can get to and out of things quicker but not medium or light quick.

Just keep grinding and play smart. You can't take a ton of risks but don't camp. Unless your in a good forward or medium position. Your survival depends how you can quickly hit those weak spots like lower plates, rear, turret ring, etc.

I was frustrated by this tank when I first got it. Now it's one of my best tanks. Good luck and hope this helps

Worland #20 Posted Mar 06 2018 - 15:07

Major

• Players
  • 16765 battles
The main problem with the iconic Tiger 1 is that is does not face it's historical foes in the game. It's placed in a tier full of late/post war vehicles. The Tiger 1 should really be a tier 6 with the historical 88mm gun, like the Japanese Tiger.

If they could ever get historical battles to work, playing the Tiger would be more fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users