Running 1.0 on newest Imac 2017

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

DistrictMedia #1 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 20:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 16864 battles
Hello there. I'm planning to buy a 27-inch Imac 2017 (mid-level) 3.5Ghz Intel Core i5 with 8gb DDR4 and the Radeon Pro 575 4gb. Do you guys have any idea or comments whether it will run upcoming WOT 1.0 at highest level/quality on high fps? Since there is no graphic card upgrade possible, i don't want to be stuck with a mid-quality game experience looking at what it will cost... Thank you!

Edited by DistrictMedia, Mar 08 2018 - 20:39.

FrozenKemp #2 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 20:37

Major

• Players
  • 47312 battles
If you want to be sure of it working, I would suggest waiting until after 1.0 is released and after a working Mac wrapper is confirmed.   Look at the threads here about "Will WoT Update 1.0 Continue to be Mac Compatible?"

DistrictMedia #3 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 20:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 16864 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Mar 08 2018 - 14:37, said:

If you want to be sure of it working, I would suggest waiting until after 1.0 is released and after a working Mac wrapper is confirmed.   Look at the threads here about "Will WoT Update 1.0 Continue to be Mac Compatible?"

Well i'm planning using Bootcamp and running WOT natively because it seems to have improved capacity over the wrapper if i'm correct.

CheekiBreeki_ #4 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 22:02

Major

• Banned
  • 40864 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Why a Mac? If you plan to play games the last computer you want is a mac

black_colt #5 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 22:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostDistrictMedia, on Mar 08 2018 - 11:34, said:

Hello there. I'm planning to buy a 27-inch Imac 2017 (mid-level) 3.5Ghz Intel Core i5 with 8gb DDR4 and the Radeon Pro 575 4gb. Do you guys have any idea or comments whether it will run upcoming WOT 1.0 at highest level/quality on high fps? Since there is no graphic card upgrade possible, i don't want to be stuck with a mid-quality game experience looking at what it will cost... Thank you!

I have a late 2015 27-inch iMac [32GB RAM, Intel Core i7, PCIe SSD and a dedicated 4GB AMD R9 M395x] and it produces a score of 9000 on Ultra using the enCore app when running MS Windows 10 Pro.

As the enCore app is not available on macOS I could not test and obtain a score.

However my iMac runs the current WoT Mac Wrapper at 90 FPS [Improved graphics with screen resolution of 2560x1440 billions of colors].  I would expect the 2017 27-inch iMac to perform better due to the Radeon Pro card.

In case you did not know the 2017 iMac has Thunderbolt 3.  Apple has enabled eGPUs when running macOS High Sierra over Thunderbolt 2 and 3.  So there is a GPU upgrade path for the 2015 and 2017 iMacs.

I suspect that you will find the 2017 iMac a very good machine for World Of Tanks.

black_colt #6 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 22:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostCheekiBreeki_, on Mar 08 2018 - 13:02, said:

Why a Mac? If you plan to play games the last computer you want is a mac

Really?

Actually the 27-inch iMac is a very good gaming machine and with macOS High Sierra is an expandable set of hardware as well since it supports a eGPU.

You know that you can legally run MS Windows on Apple-branded Intel-branded hardware [only cost me at USD 40 to activate MS Windows as well using the supplied Boot Camp app from Apple].

That is what I am doing so I can run the Common Test app and test the enCore app on my iMac.

black_colt #7 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 22:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostDistrictMedia, on Mar 08 2018 - 11:42, said:

Well i'm planning using Bootcamp and running WOT natively because it seems to have improved capacity over the wrapper if i'm correct.

Not sure what you mean by improved capacity ...

If you mean being able to run the Common Test app and the enCore app then you will need to use MS Windows.

I get around 90FPS with my 27-inch iMac running the WoT Mac Wrapper and only about 80FPS running World of Tanks with MS Windows.  The MS Windows 801.11ac drivers are crap [even over a 130 Mbps wireless connection].

DistrictMedia #8 Posted Mar 09 2018 - 15:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 16864 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 08 2018 - 16:52, said:

Not sure what you mean by improved capacity ...

If you mean being able to run the Common Test app and the enCore app then you will need to use MS Windows.

I get around 90FPS with my 27-inch iMac running the WoT Mac Wrapper and only about 80FPS running World of Tanks with MS Windows.  The MS Windows 801.11ac drivers are crap [even over a 130 Mbps wireless connection].

Thank you for your input. What i've meant by ''improved capacity'' is better FPS at highest quality settings. I've read on a few sites that the FPS would be 20% better playing natively on Windows vs the Macwrapper so now i'm confused... I'm no tech-wiz and i'm just trying to make the most out of my upcoming machine.

black_colt #9 Posted Mar 09 2018 - 20:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostDistrictMedia, on Mar 09 2018 - 06:05, said:

Thank you for your input. What i've meant by ''improved capacity'' is better FPS at highest quality settings. I've read on a few sites that the FPS would be 20% better playing natively on Windows vs the Macwrapper so now i'm confused... I'm no tech-wiz and i'm just trying to make the most out of my upcoming machine.

Not sure twenty [20] percent is accurate as the WoT Mac Wrapper uses Wine [which translates MS Windows API calls on-the-fly eliminating performance and memory penalties of other methods]. 

I certainly do not see that on my dual boot 27-inch iMac 5K Retina [late 2015] as the SD Client under macOS runs slightly better than the SD Client under MS Windows [90 FPS versus 80 FPS with same graphics settings in each OS].

One issue is currently the WoT Mac Wrapper is limited to the SD Client even though macOS is a 64-bit OS.  This is due to the version of Wine used by the Wot Mac Wrapper.  Wargaming will need to work on that with CodeWeavers [who produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming] so the lack of HD is not the fault of the OS.

You can run the Common Test app with the WoT Mac Wrapper but that is not for the faint-of-heart.

Also you can run MS Windows natively on Apple-branded Intel-based hardware which allows you to make the most out of the hardware for a particular app.

If the app runs better - e.g. HD - on MS Windows then just reboot and there you go. 

If the app runs better - e.g. SD - on macOS then just reboot and there you go.

I have not seen you address this in your posts - how much time will you be running World of Tanks versus using other apps on the iMac?

Edited by black_colt, Mar 09 2018 - 20:45.

dstud208 #10 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 02:01

Captain

• Players
  • 17792 battles
  • [-BRO] -BRO
If your really that worried about performance, you can always get a "smaller" iMac (still 27", smaller gpu) and use the money you saved to get an egpu enclosure (sonnet and akitio both make very good ones). I have an egpu that I use on my 2013 MacBook Pro with windows 10 to play games and I can run everything on ultra settings. Usually the computer doesn't even get hot. World of tanks is a breeze for it.

The nice thing about the new iMacs is they are already very powerful. I imagine it would have no problem with WoT on max settings, but if you want that extra kick they support egpus natively (as supposed to me who had to hack it together).

I would caution against playing at full 5k resolution though, typically resolution is one of the bigger factors. Black Colt is in a better position to advise on that however than I am since he has a 5k iMac.

black_colt #11 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 16:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Postdstud208, on Mar 09 2018 - 17:01, said:

If your really that worried about performance, you can always get a "smaller" iMac (still 27", smaller gpu) and use the money you saved to get an egpu enclosure (sonnet and akitio both make very good ones). I have an egpu that I use on my 2013 MacBook Pro with windows 10 to play games and I can run everything on ultra settings. Usually the computer doesn't even get hot. World of tanks is a breeze for it.

The nice thing about the new iMacs is they are already very powerful. I imagine it would have no problem with WoT on max settings, but if you want that extra kick they support egpus natively (as supposed to me who had to hack it together).

I would caution against playing at full 5k resolution though, typically resolution is one of the bigger factors. Black Colt is in a better position to advise on that however than I am since he has a 5k iMac.

When running macOS and the WoT Mac Wrapper I typically run full-screen at 2560x1440 and will sometimes run full-screen at 1920x1080 when I connect a second screen.

I had seriously considered purchasing a CTO [Custom-to-Order] 2018 iMac Pro but reconsidered after I read some reviews on the Vega 64 and gaming.

I bought a cheap Dell Ryzen gaming rig to see what I could expect - but not impressed at all with MS Windows as my daily OS.  My [old] iMac is within 10 percent of it despite being from 2015.

At this point I am waiting to see what the upcoming Mac Pro will look like, will a Thunderbolt display be supported through a eGPU before I purchase a replacement for my [old] iMac. 

What really helped was installing more RAM by myself - my [old] iMac was 32GB and the 2018 iMacs support 64GB - and running the game on a SSD connected by Thunderbolt [only for MS Windows].

It is real easy to upgrade RAM on the 27-inch iMacs and if you watch the sales on Amazon you can pick up RAM for a very reasonable price.

Edited by black_colt, Mar 12 2018 - 16:21.

black_colt #12 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 01:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Postdstud208, on Mar 09 2018 - 17:01, said:

I am awaiting more clarity on eGPUs and macOS High Sierra but until we get that information moving to a lesser CPU/GPU may not be a good value in case something is not supported/enabled.  The eGPU solution will be a work-in-progress until probably the release of the Mac Pros later this year.

MS Windows allows the eGPU to run the internal screen from that eGPU - macOS does not and it appears will not is a another reason not to suggest an eGPU at this time if you are just running macOS.

I agree with you that there should be no issues with the 2017 27-inch iMac with a 4GB dedicated video card [although I would recommend the 8GB dedicated video card]. 

SnoopDadd #13 Posted Mar 20 2018 - 16:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 3169 battles

Black Colt, thanks for all your help on the forum with the Mac and Codeweavers info. I am a newbie gamer, I started WOT in December 2017. I don't play any other games. This one is sorta my first video game I ever played for longtime play. (Besides when I use to play massively long Madden seasons with the fellas at the Fire House on PS2).

I have been on the WOT Mac forum thru my entire new gaming experience, and I got thru a lot of it with the post by the Black_Colt!!! Thank you my friend. Much respect! You have helped me tremendously!

About the 2017 iMac...

I have a 2017 iMac 27"
4.2 GHz intel i7
16GB RAM
Radeon Pro 580 8GB Video Card

WOT app works great! No problems, no lags, no crashes. Yes, its in SD, but all my settings are on High.

I build websites. Hence the main reason for using my iMac. Its a very stable machine and works great with the professional software we use for my website gig.

I like to work a little, and hit the battle field, then do some more work, or just keep battling. Having the Mac wrapper works great for that. I wish I could get the HD version. I do think I am gonna try the Codeweavers Crossover software, if the new Mac Wrapper does not work with the HD version of 1.0.

I wanna play in HD!

Back story: I started out my computer days on Microsoft Dos in 1988 on my 386 computer, I continued thru Microsoft XP in 2010. Then I made the switch to a 2010 iMac 27". Wow, I never looked back. I love my Mac!

My kids took that one over and I got a 2012 27" iMac. Now I am on my 3rd one, the 2017 iMac.

With that said, I am very experienced at using both companies OS and hands down Mac is by far superior. I find the Mac haters out there have no experience using them, they just hate them. You will not get a biased opinion from them. They just dont have the experience to make a justified opinion.

My kids use MS Windows in School and Mac at the house. So they know both OS very well. They both like Mac best. I have not used MS windows since the Windows XP version, so I do not know the newer MS versions, but 22 years with Microsoft and 8 years with Mac. Mac wins, drop the mic...

black_colt #14 Posted Mar 20 2018 - 22:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostSnoopDadd, on Mar 20 2018 - 07:25, said:

Black Colt, thanks for all your help on the forum with the Mac and Codeweavers info. I am a newbie gamer, I started WOT in December 2017. I don't play any other games. This one is sorta my first video game I ever played for longtime play. (Besides when I use to play massively long Madden seasons with the fellas at the Fire House on PS2).

I have been on the WOT Mac forum thru my entire new gaming experience, and I got thru a lot of it with the post by the Black_Colt!!! Thank you my friend. Much respect! You have helped me tremendously!

About the 2017 iMac...

I have a 2017 iMac 27"
4.2 GHz intel i7
16GB RAM
Radeon Pro 580 8GB Video Card

WOT app works great! No problems, no lags, no crashes. Yes, its in SD, but all my settings are on High.

I build websites. Hence the main reason for using my iMac. Its a very stable machine and works great with the professional software we use for my website gig.

I like to work a little, and hit the battle field, then do some more work, or just keep battling. Having the Mac wrapper works great for that. I wish I could get the HD version. I do think I am gonna try the Codeweavers Crossover software, if the new Mac Wrapper does not work with the HD version of 1.0.

I wanna play in HD!

Back story: I started out my computer days on Microsoft Dos in 1988 on my 386 computer, I continued thru Microsoft XP in 2010. Then I made the switch to a 2010 iMac 27". Wow, I never looked back. I love my Mac!

My kids took that one over and I got a 2012 27" iMac. Now I am on my 3rd one, the 2017 iMac.

With that said, I am very experienced at using both companies OS and hands down Mac is by far superior. I find the Mac haters out there have no experience using them, they just hate them. You will not get a biased opinion from them. They just dont have the experience to make a justified opinion.

My kids use MS Windows in School and Mac at the house. So they know both OS very well. They both like Mac best. I have not used MS windows since the Windows XP version, so I do not know the newer MS versions, but 22 years with Microsoft and 8 years with Mac. Mac wins, drop the mic...

The reason there is no HD client available in the WoT Mac Wrapper is due to many factors - some from Wargaming, some from CodeWeavers and the choice of bottle used, some from macOS itself - I can go into detail later if needed.

As for using CodeWeavers CrossOver to run the MS Windows native game - no need as the current WoT Mac Wrapper leverages CrossOver to work.  CodeWeavers produced the WoT Mac Wrapper for Wargaming.  Also CodeWeavers CrossOver only supports the SD Client.  PlaysOnMac also only supports the SD Client.  I strongly suspect that is due to the version of Wine used and the lack of 4GB addressable memory space of that version of Wine.

If you want to play in HD then do what I do - run MS Windows natively on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware.  No need to emulate just reboot and away you go.  I run MS Windows natively when I want to run the Common Test client, etc.  Really quite simple using the supplied Boot Camp app from Apple.  MS allows you to run MS Windows without activating for thirty [30] days so you do not even need to buy to try MS Windows on your hardware.

If you want to run MS Windows - make sure you check out bootcampdrivers.com for the latest AMD video drivers - have been using them for years without issue.

Yes - you can modify the WoT Mac Wrapper to run the Common Test - but it is not for the faint-of-heart.

I cut my teeth on a 386 and IBM OS/2 2.1 and MS Windows 1.0.  Starting using the Mac [SE/30 and classic Mac OS] in 1991.  

Have run multiple OS[es] including Solaris for Intel, Solaris, OS/2 4.x [Aurora], too many Linux distributions to remember them all, OpenStep, NextStep, DOS, BeOS, MS Windows, and I am sure I have forgotten some on various hardware and I still come back to the Mac. 

The 2017 27-inch iMac 5K Retina is a great machine - almost bought one - seriously considered the iMac Pro - but now awaiting the Mac Pro and what is going to happen with eGPUs.  

No reason to upgrade just yet as my CTO late-2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina still works well.  Recently retired the 2012 [customized with internal SSD and WD Velociraptor] with the acquisition of the late-2015 model.

Edited by black_colt, Mar 20 2018 - 22:48.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users